or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › COD4 discussion & review thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

COD4 discussion & review thread - Page 11

post #301 of 703
if the 360 version had ONLINE splitscreen and the PS3 version didnt, i would be really disappointed. Say all you want about that, but that would make the ps3 version the inferior one hands down. I just have a feeling that the 360 version would have this feature because Call of Duty 3 on the 360 had online splitscreen, however, as we all know, the ps3 version didnt..... and hey, they said that Ghost Recon 2 for the ps3 was the exact same (if not better) version, but again (and i hate repeating this), it DIDNT HAVE ONLINE SPLITSCREEN.
post #302 of 703
I doubt CoD4 has online splitcscreen, just like CoD2 didn't. CoD3 was made by a different developer.
post #303 of 703
Avarice, my impression was that the split screen was for offline, 4 person multiplayer matches. For whatever reason, IW seems to have decided to separate the split screen feature from everything else..
post #304 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket View Post

Um.. what? It's been stated that there is no Co-op, what would be the point of "online split screen"?

So that you and friends/family can play online together if you're in the same house.

We do it all the time at my house as do my other family members when we play together.
post #305 of 703
Here is a thread that I started yesterday on the official website. Help make your voices heard.

http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/boa...ic.php?t=65819
post #306 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams828 View Post

Avarice, my impression was that the split screen was for offline, 4 person multiplayer matches. For whatever reason, IW seems to have decided to separate the split screen feature from everything else..

Ah, thanks for the clarification
post #307 of 703
any indication that rumble works? hit the ps button see if it says rumble on and see if there is anything under menus that show it.
post #308 of 703
I would think if it had rumble it would have come with version 1.94 like R&C.
post #309 of 703
it looks like gamestop/eb games will have the game monday but selling it to pre-orders only. give your local store a call and see.
post #310 of 703
It is not shipping with rumble... A developer in the cod forums stated that they never got a rumble controller... they said it is something they could patch for later.
post #311 of 703
Thread Starter 
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=107182

Someone else with an early copy of the game posted some screens here. Quality of pics isn't as good as adam's though
post #312 of 703
I wanted to encourage everyone here to hit up this link below to go to a thread I created on Infinity Ward's COD4 boards.

I created a thread to encourage them to add rumble support to the game via a patch. The development team has already commented that this is a possibility, but I firmly believe that they'll base this decision on the interest level they see from their fans. So, please, make your voice heard in this thread.


Even if you don't plan in importing the Dual Shock 3 from Japan in a couple weeks, don't forget that the Dual Shock 3 will be out in the rest of the world a few months down the road, and you might still be playing the game online at that point, so it could benefit you as well if this feature were added.

http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/boa...ic.php?t=64908


Thanks.
post #313 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post


Why is there a split-screen option at all if there is no off-line co-op?


So you can play a small 4 player deathmatch with friends on one system. Same way that Halo was set up. They need to add offline coop at least IMO. That's a pretty big missing feature for all these sites to be throwing GOY on this already.

No doubt I will love this game, but I love coop too!
post #314 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren613 View Post

So you can play a small 4 player deathmatch with friends on one system. Same way that Halo was set up. They need to add offline coop at least IMO. That's a pretty big missing feature for all these sites to be throwing GOY on this already.

No doubt I will love this game, but I love coop too!

I agree. A terrible offline co-op for GRAW2 hampered it quite a bit in my opinion. The best part about Resistance was the split screen co-op. You'd think that would be just as standard as an online component these days when it comes to shooters, but I guess not. Hard to believe all the perfect 10's being thrown around if that is not there. I have no doubt the game will be fantastic, but you can't overlook lacking modes. Warhawk got SLAMMED because it was multiplayer only. COD4 is multiplayer only in disguise. I could be wrong, but that's why I'm getting it and that's all anybody ever talks about.
post #315 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

I agree. A terrible offline co-op for GRAW2 hampered it quite a bit in my opinion. The best part about Resistance was the split screen co-op. You'd think that would be just as standard as an online component these days when it comes to shooters, but I guess not. Hard to believe all the perfect 10's being thrown around if that is not there. I have no doubt the game will be fantastic, but you can't overlook lacking modes. Warhawk got SLAMMED because it was multiplayer only. COD4 is multiplayer only in disguise. I could be wrong, but that's why I'm getting it and that's all anybody ever talks about.

When did multiplayer-coop become standard? If it is an easy add, then fine...

But even in Halo 3 where it gets so much praise for being fun, I'm told you can whip through the whole game on legendary quite shortly. Is the dev time worth it if the single player game just isn't necessarily built to work when it is not focused on that single player?

All games are different. Unless the co-op multiplayer really transfers wonderfully, I don't see there being much replay value in that.

When it makes sense and can be challenging, then it is probably worth it... I just don't see this as needing to be a universal feature. Personally, I like playing with AND against real people... That's what can last the longest in terms of replay value.

There is a lot of value to single player experiences and that is still more in demand than co-op campaign experiences. If you're crafting a great single player game, it won't always translate into something great when you've got 4 or more "single" players playing at the same time.
post #316 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle View Post

When did multiplayer-coop become standard? If it is an easy add, then fine...

But even in Halo 3 where it gets so much praise for being fun, I'm told you can whip through the whole game on legendary quite shortly. Is the dev time worth it if the single player game just isn't necessarily built to work when it is not focused on that single player?

All games are different. Unless the co-op multiplayer really transfers wonderfully, I don't see there being much replay value in that.

When it makes sense and can be challenging, then it is probably worth it... I just don't see this as needing to be a universal feature. Personally, I like playing with AND against real people... That's what can last the longest in terms of replay value.

There is a lot of value to single player experiences and that is still more in demand than co-op campaign experiences. If you're crafting a great single player game, it won't always translate into something great when you've got 4 or more "single" players playing at the same time.

One can't whip through Legendary H3 solo. But you may can online co-op. It's easier to do with a team.

I agree with you that I wouldn't knock a game for not having co-op. It's not quite standard yet. But I think it will be soon. T

he campaign is a lot more fun (to me anyway) when you do it with a friend. Further, H3 added the idea of an arcade mode for campaign, so that each player get's an individual score for things killed, etc. and you can compete against each other even in co-op mode. I think that will become stardard as well. Co-op should be on most shooters coming out next year. Exceptions apply, of course.
post #317 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle View Post

When did multiplayer-coop become standard? If it is an easy add, then fine...

But even in Halo 3 where it gets so much praise for being fun, I'm told you can whip through the whole game on legendary quite shortly. Is the dev time worth it if the single player game just isn't necessarily built to work when it is not focused on that single player?

All games are different. Unless the co-op multiplayer really transfers wonderfully, I don't see there being much replay value in that.

When it makes sense and can be challenging, then it is probably worth it... I just don't see this as needing to be a universal feature. Personally, I like playing with AND against real people... That's what can last the longest in terms of replay value.

There is a lot of value to single player experiences and that is still more in demand than co-op campaign experiences. If you're crafting a great single player game, it won't always translate into something great when you've got 4 or more "single" players playing at the same time.

I never said nor implied that it was standard. I stated online multiplayer has become standard and games get ripped for not having it (I saw several posts in the Ratchet and Clank thread where people said they refused to buy it since it was single player only). Then games get ripped for them only having it (Warhawk got slammed several times for only being online).

I simply said it would be nice if offline co-op started to get the same attention that the other multiplayer aspects of the game do. Resistance has a great offline co-op (being able to play through the campaign) as does Vegas (both campaign and terrorist hunt modes are fantastic).

Wishing and stating are two VERY different things, free.
post #318 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

One can't whip through Legendary H3 solo. But you may can online co-op. It's easier to do with a team.

I agree with you that I wouldn't knock a game for not having co-op. It's not quite standard yet. But I think it will be soon. T

he campaign is a lot more fun (to me anyway) when you do it with a friend. Further, H3 added the idea of an arcade mode for campaign, so that each player get's an individual score for things killed, etc. and you can compete against each other even in co-op mode. I think that will become stardard as well. Co-op should be on most shooters coming out next year. Exceptions apply, of course.

I've only played single player Halo 3 and it seems tough enough on Legendary to me! But I wonder how much continued use people get out of that co-op feature when they are great co-op fans BUT can whip through legendary so quickly. Do they keep playing it?

Again...not a big co-op fan personally... but I know more and more are liking it... I think if a game came out that was primarily a multiplayer-coop experience (perhaps such as LittleBigPlanet) and was successful, you'd see a lot more developers pushing the envelope in that area...

I guess I still look at them as single player "ports" and very few have held my attention the way player v player multiplayer can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

I never said nor implied that it was standard. I stated online multiplayer has become standard and games get ripped for not having it (I saw several posts in the Ratchet and Clank thread where people said they refused to buy it since it was single player only). Then games get ripped for them only having it (Warhawk got slammed several times for only being online).

I simply said it would be nice if offline co-op started to get the same attention that the other multiplayer aspects of the game do. Resistance has a great offline co-op (being able to play through the campaign) as does Vegas (both campaign and terrorist hunt modes are fantastic).

Wishing and stating are two VERY different things, free.

Yeah... sorry instantpop... I wasn't meaning to call you out or anything.. I didn't mean to say that you implied it should be standard... You were just the final post on all the co-op talk and I was just wondering when this moment came that so many seem to be demanding multi-player co-op be included in all games... or have reviews dock points for not having co-op.

I totally agree that if co-op started getting some attention from developers of different games, that would be a bonus. But there's only so much focus to go around. If CoD4 and IW chose to focus on single player and multiplayer (and they BOTH turn out to be GREAT), then I'm a very happy camper.

If another game doesn't include player v player and focus' on co-op making that really shine, that will be good for games too. Make great games and people are going to be happy (well, most people).

I guess when some brilliant developer is able to make the perfect single, co-op and multiplayer game all at the same time then the reviewers will have to push their ratings scores to 11.
post #319 of 703
Thread Starter 
Please try to keep the thread on-topic. This is how the last COD4 thread got locked.

Thanks!
post #320 of 703
Okay, to get back on track.. potential IW "luv" alert! (not necessarily a spoiler, but potentially could be.. so don't read it if you don't want to ruin it)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
not 100% if this is the PS3 "luv" promised, but after beating the game, there is a 3 minute timed hostage rescue onboard a plane... the name? Mile high club of course!

This is just my speculation of what the "luv" may be.. only thing I've seen so far that didn't seem like part of the original game.
post #321 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams828 View Post

Okay, to get back on track.. potential spolier alert!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
not 100% if this is the PS3 "luv" promised, but after beating the game, there is a 3 minute timed hostage rescue onboard a plane... the name? Mile high club of course!

This is just my speculation of what the "luv" may be.. only thing I've seen so far that didn't seem like part of the original game.

Approximately how many hours did it take to finish the game?
post #322 of 703
The developers said, on vet it would take 20 hours. On easy it would take 4. (Just adding that, I know you want Adams first hand account).
post #323 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

The developers said, on vet it would take 20 hours. On easy it would take 4. (Just adding that, I know you want Adams first hand account).

I could see that.. I'm guessing it took me about 8 or so on regular (step above easy, and 2 below veteran). Of course I did take some breaks to take a picture or two.. =p

This is the first FPS I've played on my PS3, so that might have affected my skill level as well.
post #324 of 703
hi adam,

thx a lot for your pics, the game looks amazing!!
i especially registered here to ask you a question : does the us version got european languages like spanish, french, german? cause i really wanna import this game, if i buy the us version : 50, the european one : 70, so you understand why import is good for european players
post #325 of 703
Updated Pics: Russian base assault, multiplayer map pics and gun selection menus
post #326 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams828 View Post

Updated Pics: Russian base assault, multiplayer map pics and gun selection menus

Link not working
post #327 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

I think the "you can add friends by exiting...." is just that. You have no friends, so go to the XMB and add some.

For some reason the 2nd time I read the part about you have no friends, it had me crackin up.


I generally refrain from getting too upset and crying about things on message boards but what the EFF could be so hard so that we dont get this in every game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN476ZhYgDU

Back to CoOp. The only time I've played thru RFOM campaign is taking turns with my bro. After we beat it like that we've played thru it 5x coop. I would hope that atleast offline coop become standard. Depending on how well the 4person online coop works with Haze I hope that becomes more standard as well. My brother is in the marines now and he'll be deployed so hopefully I'll get to play with him online thru games.
post #328 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafkilla View Post

hi adam,

thx a lot for your pics, the game looks amazing!!
i especially registered here to ask you a question : does the us version got european languages like spanish, french, german? cause i really wanna import this game, if i buy the us version : 50, the european one : 70, so you understand why import is good for european players

sry to spam again but adams plizz repspond to me i really wanna know if theres french language in the us version plizz...
post #329 of 703
Hey Adam thnx again for the new pics. could you make a video walktrough of your favorite multiplayer map, post it in youtube?
post #330 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle View Post

Yeah... sorry instantpop... I wasn't meaning to call you out or anything.. I didn't mean to say that you implied it should be standard... You were just the final post on all the co-op talk and I was just wondering when this moment came that so many seem to be demanding multi-player co-op be included in all games... or have reviews dock points for not having co-op.

I totally agree that if co-op started getting some attention from developers of different games, that would be a bonus. But there's only so much focus to go around. If CoD4 and IW chose to focus on single player and multiplayer (and they BOTH turn out to be GREAT), then I'm a very happy camper.

If another game doesn't include player v player and focus' on co-op making that really shine, that will be good for games too. Make great games and people are going to be happy (well, most people).

I guess when some brilliant developer is able to make the perfect single, co-op and multiplayer game all at the same time then the reviewers will have to push their ratings scores to 11.

No sweat, man. Totally cool.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › COD4 discussion & review thread