or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Panasonic AE2000 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic AE2000 thread - Page 2

post #31 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

Stated spec lumens on paper don't mean much.
Some companies are more...lets say 'over enthusiastic' when they publish these numbers.

In reality, the Sanyo Z2000 and Panasonic AE2000 are both using 165W bulbs with the exact same D7 LCD panels. They're going to be very similar in light output in their same relative modes.

Remember the ax100 specs state 2000 lumens and it had them.Yes you can't use all that for movie modes.But it does come in handy for sports and those with some light issues.Panny states 1500 for the ae2000,That is quite alot for a 1080p.Hopefully like the ax100 it will have it.Will find out very soon.
post #32 of 3926
Sound like Sanyo is going for quiet operation as one of the selling point. Light output could have cut down in design to reduce heat built up as oppose to Panny or Epson going all out with similar 165w lamp but higher air flow (? Epson is 170w). 19db vs 22db (epson unknown)
post #33 of 3926
will someone please just go ahead and post some screen shots and comments!!!
post #34 of 3926
It not out yet, wait 2 days and you get it I guarantee
post #35 of 3926
ordered mine... its supposed to ship tommorow!

Itai
post #36 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric97 View Post

I would hope they would either use the calibrated lumens measured when they did their review -or- they would use the manufacturer's number (or a % of that #) for all of the projectors in the calculator. At least then we could have something with which we could move forward. It is tough to make a decision in the dark.

Use the calibrated numbers from their review... PC??? Bwahahahahhhhaaa!!!!


As stated earlier, manufactures specs mean little and even if they were accurate, you would never really use the settings they would use to reach the max numbers.

If you can given me some numbers, I'd be happy to calculate them for you.
post #37 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroendless View Post

Sound like Sanyo is going for quiet operation as one of the selling point. Light output could have cut down in design to reduce heat built up as oppose to Panny or Epson going all out with similar 165w lamp but higher air flow (? Epson is 170w). 19db vs 22db (epson unknown)

Again, it's tough to compare manufactures specs because they typically aren't measured the same way. Both are very quiet though.


My guess is the Epson will be the overall star of the three, but since it doesn't internally support CIH, I'm probably going to pass on it.
post #38 of 3926
Did a little math. I know this isn't scientific but interesting.

The AX100 and 200 puts out 9.0909 ANSI per watt. It has a 220w bulb 2000/220.

The AE2000U has a 165w bulb so 165x9.0909=1499.9985

Seems a little close to be a coincidence

When PC reviewed the AX200 they got 1845 ANSI.
post #39 of 3926
I'm following this thread for sure (even though I'm getting another projector)...People are getting their projectors rather quickly (in the next day or two) so there will be a TON of info from first hand accounts (which everyone likes).
post #40 of 3926
Thread Starter 
There's many ways to overstate lumens on specs and technically be telling the truth.

Here's an example.
Sanyo specs their Z2000 at 1200 lumens on paper (in Dynamic mode, lamp on high, lens at shortest throw wide angle)

I approach Sanyo and ask them to private brand the same Z2000 projector under 'JoeBlack' brand as model JB-XV2000 using the exact same hardware and 165W bulb. For the Dynamic preset I pump up green and some blue, raise the gamma until I hit 1500 lumens and have Sanyo send it into production like that.

When I bring it to market, I can actualy release a spec sheet that states 1500 lumens and make my projector appear to be brighter than the Sanyo. When a reviewer like PC or PR sets my XV2000 to Dynamic they'll measure and confirm 1500 lumens.

Sanyo Z2000 165W bulb, D7 lcd, 1200 lumens
JoeBlack XV2000 165W bulb,D7 lcd, 1500 lumens

If you looked at the above specs you should be thinking the JB-XV2000 is much brighter, but in fact your actually buying the exact same projector as the Sanyo.

All I'm saying is both the AE2000 and Z2000 share the same 165W bulb and D7 panels, their relative modes when equally calibrated and will be more the same than different.
post #41 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

There's many ways to overstate lumens on specs and technically be telling the truth.

Here's an example.
Sanyo specs their Z2000 at 1200 lumens on paper (in Dynamic mode, lamp on high, lens at shortest throw wide angle)

I approach Sanyo and ask them to private brand the same Z2000 projector under 'JoeBlack' brand as model JB-XV2000 using the exact same hardware and 165W bulb. For the Dynamic preset I pump up green and some blue, raise the gamma until I hit 1500 lumens and have Sanyo send it into production like that.

When I bring it to market, I can actualy release a spec sheet that states 1500 lumens and make my projector appear to be brighter than the Sanyo. When a reviewer like PC or PR sets my XV2000 to Dynamic they'll measure and confirm 1500 lumens.

Sanyo Z2000 165W bulb, D7 lcd, 1200 lumens
JoeBlack XV2000 165W bulb,D7 lcd, 1500 lumens

If you looked at the above specs you should be thinking the JB-XV2000 is much brighter, but in fact your actually buying the exact same projector as the Sanyo.

All I'm saying is both the AE2000 and Z2000 share the same 165W bulb and D7 panels, their relative modes when equally calibrated and will be more the same than different.

Hi Joe,

That is probably pretty close to the truth, but it is assume all other components are equal. In this case, they are different.

Assume one has light leaks and one is perfect, shooting all light through the lens. that will be brighter.

Also, one could have better glass, which could affect brightness.

Finally, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the same wattage lamp only means that the CAN put out the same amount of light...not that they do. Perhaps the panasonic puts more power to the lamp where the sanyo doesn't. One example of what i'm thinking about is the Eco mode that these projectors have that restrict the amount of power and hence the brightness, from the bulb.

Even still, those differences would be very small, which is why your example is very credible.

the difference, in my opinon, is the light output when used in a real enviornment.

If the panasonic's optical iris really works well, I could have a much brighter picture than with the sanyo, for instance, if the sanyo doesn't have that iris (which i've been confused about. I think, from the cine4home preveiws that the panasonic has an optical iris that operates on a per frame basis, where the sanyo iris is only at the bulb and not quite as functional).

Unless I'm missing something, there could be, even when calibrated, be a very real difference in brightness, even without taking the software and processing into account.
post #42 of 3926
My AE2000 is on the way as well, and the AX200 is on its way back to PP...

Until the AE2000 arrives, I am enjoying a few more days with my first projector, an IF 4805 (1400 hrs). I never have any problems with it, but was starting to feel that it was looking a little "tired." After reading a lot of enthusiastic reports on the AX200, I decided to take the plunge.

I got the AX200 up and running, but honestly wasn't as impressed as I expected to be. Resolution and brightness increased, but the black levels...well, I'll just call them grey levels...just didn't do it for me. And in spite of the increase from 480p to 720p, in some ways it really didn't look sharper, while artifacts became more intrusive. I began to feel that perhaps I had made a big mistake, but then I started thinking about the possibility of exchanging for an upgrade, then the hype for the AE2000 began to appear. And you already know what happened next.

Well, as long as I still had the 4805 down from its mount, I decided to have a look at the color wheel, which I had always intended to clean. Sure enough, discoloration was evident, so I did some careful work with some Q-tips and water. It was much easier than I feared, and the wheel looked great when I was finished.

I put up the 4805 again, and remembered right away why I had enjoyed it so much in the first place. Sure, the resolution is only what it is, but it does so many things right.

Please, somebody...tell me that the AE2000 is going to blow away my old 4805!

Gary Dahl
post #43 of 3926
From the chart if the first post it appears that the projector doesn't have enough offset to allow the placement to be above the top of the screen. Not sure where that came from because in the manual it clearly states the projector can be moved 100% above the top of the screen. Perhaps that image should be removed or replaced to eliminate confusion.

Also, what are the problems using some much lens shift? Loss of brightness? Picture distortion? Uneven screen brightness? Change to contrast? Is it better to try and keep this shift to a minimum or is there relatively no problems as compared to the destruction of keystone adjustment?
post #44 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadly25 View Post

From the chart if the first post it appears that the projector doesn't have enough offset to allow the placement to be above the top of the screen. Not sure where that came from because in the manual it clearly states the projector can be moved 100% above the top of the screen. Perhaps that image should be removed or replaced to eliminate confusion.

Also, what are the problems using some much lens shift? Loss of brightness? Picture distortion? Uneven screen brightness? Change to contrast? Is it better to try and keep this shift to a minimum or is there relatively no problems as compared to the destruction of keystone adjustment?

On my ax100 I used quite a bit of lens shift.I have it all the way down allmost,I notice no change in the pic from the center position.
post #45 of 3926
When I first got my AE1000 I had to use lots of horizontal lens shift and a bit of vertical while I used it in a temporary setup. Once I'd put it in the final position ( on a shelf in a bookcase) it is dead centre to the screen and I just use a touch of vertical shift to line the bottom black bar with my screen border. I can honestly say that I can't tell any difference from the shift point of view. I made much more difference to the picture by darkening the room properly and adding some dark throws and rugs to minimise light reflection back to the screen. So shift away, if you need to, I can't see the AE2000 being any different on that score.

I must stop reading these AE2000 threads, I'll end up buying one.......
post #46 of 3926
you're all talking too much, we want screenshots!
post #47 of 3926
Gaming...

One thing I haven't heard much of is how this is going to perform for gaming. Will there be lag issues?? Will it handle some ambient light at that lumens? Forgive, but I am a projector newbie, looking to jump on this purchase...
post #48 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by repdetect2 View Post

Gaming...

One thing I haven't heard much of is how this is going to perform for gaming. Will there be lag issues?? Will it handle some ambient light at that lumens? Forgive, but I am a projector newbie, looking to jump on this purchase...

If you search for posts on the AE1000, you will find that most people said there was no issue with lag or anything... and its assumed that the AE2000 would only be better. But as far as real evidence there is no issue with gaming or LAG, I've not been able to find any.

I will game on this, but its not my primary reason for the purchase in any case. Movies are primary!

I am also another projector n00b, the AE2000 will be my first, it should be her Friday.

What about everyone else's that shipped yesterday and had them overnighted?!?! whose the first to receive?!
post #49 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzeno View Post

If you search for posts on the AE1000, you will find that most people said there was no issue with lag or anything... and its assumed that the AE2000 would only be better. But as far as real evidence there is no issue with gaming or LAG, I've not been able to find any.

I will game on this, but its not my primary reason for the purchase in any case. Movies are primary!

I am also another projector n00b, the AE2000 will be my first, it should be her Friday.

What about everyone else's that shipped yesterday and had them overnighted?!?! whose the first to receive?!

I'm waiting on the fedex truck as i type, should be here soon.
post #50 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzeno View Post

What about everyone else's that shipped yesterday and had them overnighted?!?! whose the first to receive?!

There are a few people here who should be receiving their units either today or tomorrow...
post #51 of 3926
Quote:


What about everyone else's that shipped yesterday and had them overnighted?!?! whose the first to receive?!

Well, it's too early for lunch hour but it's gonna be a long one

post #52 of 3926
Pictures please
post #53 of 3926
Mine won't be here until Friday afternoon.

I was too cheap to pay for express shipping.
post #54 of 3926
Zero,

I think you must be coming down with something. You don't look like you feel too well.
post #55 of 3926
Yeah, but if you google MSRP AE2000 some sites show $2999, and some show $3000. Even at $3000 seems like it should move to the other forum. Many people will be comparing this to the Sanyo Z2000, so having these projectors in different forums seems to make no sense to me.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

Right the forums are divided by MSRP, not by street pricing.
post #56 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post

Use the calibrated numbers from their review... PC??? Bwahahahahhhhaaa!!!!


As stated earlier, manufactures specs mean little and even if they were accurate, you would never really use the settings they would use to reach the max numbers.

If you can given me some numbers, I'd be happy to calculate them for you.

Here are my numbers: 12'6" throw onto a 110" 16X9 screen (Stewart SST w/1.1gain). Ceiling mount centered horizonal - lens center will be about 6" to 10" above the top of the screen. Do you need anything more?
Thanks!
post #57 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cler View Post

Mine won't be here until Friday afternoon.

I was too cheap to pay for express shipping.

It was an honest mistake from the shipping department i guess. I didn't pay a dime for overnight.
post #58 of 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cler View Post

Zero,

I think you must be coming down with something. You don't look like you feel too well.



I'm but in healing, i have a deep cut and punctured my hand artery last week. I am glad the panny is not heavy or i won't be able to carry it with one hand to 3 story complex.
post #59 of 3926
ask someone to help you, man
post #60 of 3926
Zero, tell your employer that you need to go home because you have a bad case of upgraditis.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Panasonic AE2000 thread