or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Black Diamond from Screen Innovations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black Diamond from Screen Innovations? - Page 103

post #3061 of 3545
Kdh,

From what I understand the bd will help a lot. There is a video on YouTube where they compared a normal white screen to a bd. the white screen lit up the room. The reflections from the walls and ceiling washed out the screen. They then showed the bd and that room stayed dark and the image looked great.

Have you thought about painting the room a darker color, if you could paint the ceiling as well that may solve your problem. Go with a dark flat paint.
post #3062 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by natas777 View Post

Kdh,
From what I understand the bd will help a lot. There is a video on YouTube where they compared a normal white screen to a bd. the white screen lit up the room. The reflections from the walls and ceiling washed out the screen. They then showed the bd and that room stayed dark and the image looked great.
Have you thought about painting the room a darker color, if you could paint the ceiling as well that may solve your problem. Go with a dark flat paint.


Thanks for the reply, yes I could paint the walls but they would be very cold with the divorce and all. LOL
Its a big investment and coming from a xbr65 929 dont know if it will be to much of a shock.
I could never be satisfied with this white screen.
post #3063 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

epson 5020 white walls white 200 dollar screen blacks well not good. How much will the bd help. I am not happy with the current set up. Alot of things just look washed out even in complete darkness. If the seen is real dark then the blacks look alot better but not great but close. When things get bright on screen its alot worse. Should I go with the 1.4 or .8 I like the picture to have alot of pop and on screen contrast. Is the black diamond my anser.

Have you done any calibration on your projector?
post #3064 of 3545
Natas777,

I'm looking at the Sony HW 50ES and the Zero Edge 1.4 108" in 16:9. Are you happy with the combination and have you been able to fine tune the projector to perfectly align the image with the Zero Edge? Also, have you experienced any bleed off or drift of the picture off the screen? Finally, how far have you mounted the projector above or below the top edge of the screen?

Many thanks.

Tonyb
post #3065 of 3545
Tonyb12345,

I currently have a simple elite screen right now setup. I plan to move to either a bd or firehawk in a few months. The screen I have is a 1.1 gain and looks awesome at night. During the day it's very watchable but blacks don't look as good.

I have my projector setup 13 1/2ft from the screen. Lining everything up took about 30 minutes of measuring and getting the screen up. I haven't had any bleed or drift. However I live in Dallas and around here foundations shift throughout the year so I expect to have some of that just from the house settling.

Btw this projector rocks. It's way brighter than I thought it would be, and the image is stunning.
post #3066 of 3545

How's the life span of that bungee cords? Will it break?
post #3067 of 3545
natas777,

Thx. Looking forward to getting into the world of home theater. Once you make your decision, could you please us know what you think of your new setup? Thx again.

Tonyb
post #3068 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyday2 View Post

So, I took my wife into the new Magnolia Center they just put in our newly remodeled Best Buy earlier this afternoon in an attempt to talk her into a projector for our bedroom. They had a Sony HW30 with a motorized 92" Firehawk screen and an Epson 5020UB with a 92" Black Diamond Zero Edge with an LED kit. After about an hour of walking back and forth between the two "Studios" looking at both of them, she finally decided that she was willing to go along with the whole "projector in the bedroom" thing. She indicated that she wanted to go with the Epson projector and the Black Diamond Zero Edge screen if we were doing this, as long as it had the LED kit.

Does anyone know if Best Buy is an authorized SI dealer? I went on the SI website and I think I read that for warranty support you need to have purchased the screen from an authorized dealer, but when I used their "find a local SI dealer" tool, best buy wasn't listed, so that has me a little worried.

Also, I looked the 100" screen I think I'll end up needing on the BB website and I don't see any mention of the optional LED kit being included with the price OR a way to purchase it separately (or the cost to do so). Does anyone have any clue why it isn't listed as included OR available for purchase? She REALLY wants the BD Zero Edge with the LEDs.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. Sorry for the long post (and I'm sure I'll have more questions)...I'd just like to get this all right the first time and this will be my first projector/screen purchase (we're upgrading from an 8000-series Samsung LED and I want this to be AWESOME!!!).

Magnolia Home Theater inside of Best Buy is an authorized SI Dealer. The LED kit is free with all Zero Edge purchases until the end of January.
post #3069 of 3545
We get the bungees from the auto industry and I have never had one break.
Edited by BlakeSI - 1/16/13 at 5:39am
post #3070 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtsm View Post

I Need Help to buy the fixed frame 2:35:1 size 92
i have panasonic ae4000 lcd lm 1600
My room white color and between projector to screen 9 feet
what the gain good for me
.8 or 1.4

One thing to keep in mind is viewing cone. The .8 has a 60 degree viewing cone and the 1.4 has a 120 degree viewing cone.
post #3071 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

I'm a little confused by the LEDs on some screens. On the SI website, they completely seems like they light up all the way around and others its only the center of all 4 sides. Does the size matter or are some of these older models?

The first gen Zero Edge used LED light bars. The new 2nd gen Zero Edge uses a 360 degree wrap of LED lighting tape that gives a much better uniformed halo effect when wall mounted and a better wash effect when mounted off the wall using our flying cable kit.
The science behind the lighting is it relaxes the eye when watching bright content in a dark room. The eye is not constantly adjusting do to brighter and darker content from tyhe screen so much less eye fatigue. There is also a very noticeable improvement in contrast with the back lighting on blacks look, well blacker.

it also looks way cool:)
post #3072 of 3545
I discovered this thread having recently emailed Screen Innovations about an issue with shimmering pixels on my Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. I see that others also seem to have this problem, to varying degrees. I am awaiting a response from SI but in the meantime thought it would be worth posting here to see whether there are any possible solutions.

My screen is the 115inch 1.4 gain and is approximately 18 ft from the projector, an Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010.

Seating distance to screen is 15ft. Walls are cream colour, ceiling is white. Light control is very good.

The shimmering pixels are very noticeable and distracting. Is there any way to at least reduce this or is it an inherent charateristic of the BD Zero Edge screen, most noticeable with a bright projector?
post #3073 of 3545
I would say it's the characteristic of the screen.
post #3074 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver27 View Post

I discovered this thread having recently emailed Screen Innovations about an issue with shimmering pixels on my Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. I see that others also seem to have this problem, to varying degrees. I am awaiting a response from SI but in the meantime thought it would be worth posting here to see whether there are any possible solutions.

My screen is the 115inch 1.4 gain and is approximately 18 ft from the projector, an Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010.

Seating distance to screen is 15ft. Walls are cream colour, ceiling is white. Light control is very good.

The shimmering pixels are very noticeable and distracting. Is there any way to at least reduce this or is it an inherent charateristic of the BD Zero Edge screen, most noticeable with a bright projector?

What generation do you have? I'm looking to see if this is the same with the current version.

Thanks
post #3075 of 3545
Quote:
What generation do you have? I'm looking to see if this is the same with the current version.

Thanks/QUOTE]


I bought it in June 2012, so I assume it's the first generation. Look forward to your findings.
post #3076 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver27 View Post

...........
The shimmering pixels are very noticeable and distracting. Is there any way to at least reduce this or is it an inherent charateristic of the BD Zero Edge screen, most noticeable with a bright projector?

That's just the way it is with the BD screen, Zero Edge or framed. It's slightly less with the .8 gain screen material.
post #3077 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

That's just the way it is with the BD screen, Zero Edge or framed. It's slightly less with the .8 gain screen material.

So my only options are to live with the shimmering or replace the screen eek.gif

A less bright projector won't necessarily reduce the shimmering (something like the Sony VPL-HW50ES)?
post #3078 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver27 View Post

So my only options are to live with the shimmering or replace the screen eek.gif

A less bright projector won't necessarily reduce the shimmering (something like the Sony VPL-HW50ES)?

Before buying a new projector, reduce the light output on your 6010 to see if it makes a big enough difference to justify the extra expense.

Of course, if you do buy a less bright projector, you will have a less bright picture. Many people consider a bright projector to be a good thing.

I knew about this thread and knew about the hot spotting/sparkles/shimmering etc. before I bought my BD, but, because I'm not very fussy, I didn’t think they would bother me. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I have an Epson 5010, essentially the same projector as yours.
post #3079 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Before buying a new projector, reduce the light output on your 6010 to see if it makes a big enough difference to justify the extra expense.

Of course, if you do buy a less bright projector, you will have a less bright picture. Many people consider a bright projector to be a good thing.

I knew about this thread and knew about the hot spotting/sparkles/shimmering etc. before I bought my BD, but, because I'm not very fussy, I didn’t think they would bother me. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I have an Epson 5010, essentially the same projector as yours.

I have tried turning the brightness down but it does not materially reduce the shimmering. I like the brightness of the Epson 6010, especially on 3D, and by the sounds of it replacing the projector may not reduce the shimmering to a tolerable level.

Are you planning on replacing your BD screen and, if so, what alternatives are you considering ?
post #3080 of 3545
I am i the design phase of an addition to my house which will include a dedicated HT. Room dimensions will be about 18x25x9. Thinking about going with the Epson projector and a screen size in the 100-110 range with the first seat about 13 ft back (row of 4). I've read a lot of this thread and am possibly interested in the backlit BD. The photos look great, but how does the backlight look on a 16x9 screen when watching a movie in the 2.35 ratio and having the black bars? I think it looks great when the backlight is fully surrounding the picture. I guess i'm wondering if it looks weird when on the side edges of the screen the LED's are right up next to the picture but above and below the LED's are offset from the picture by the interposition of the black bars. Any thoughts? Can someone post a photo of the screen in this situation?

BTW, one of the reasons I'm thinking about the BD in the first place even in my light-controlled room is because I don't want to always feel the need to keep the room really dark. I'm sure we will be spending a lot of time in there as a family during everyday life watching sports, playing the xbox, etc.

Thanks. Any other input would be appreciated.
post #3081 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver27 View Post

Are you planning on replacing your BD screen and, if so, what alternatives are you considering ?

I live in a remote area so if I sold my BD screen I would have to ship it to the buyer.

Since the screen is very delicate, I feel it would be very difficult to repack it and get it to a buyer without damage. Because of this, I have decided to keep it.
post #3082 of 3545
Has anyone noticed vibration problems with their Black Diamond Screen? I just upgraded to a 130" 2.35 BD 1.4 screen from an older 120" 16:9 and the BD material even when stretched out and attached with the bunjees the screen moves and vibrates VERY easy like a long sheet of paper. I haven't mounted it yet but it just doesn't seem like the fabric is thick/heavy enough to withstand vibrations of a large subwoofer (which I have).

I really hope I am wrong about this concern confused.gif
post #3083 of 3545
OK should I jump at this deal ? I can get a .8 92in screen for 800.00 bucks It would be used with a Epson 8350 in a completely light controlled room . Right now Im just using a homemade Blackout cloth with velvet borders ( looks nice to me). Figure this may be my only chance ever to get this type of screen but is it still worth almost a grand in a DARK room ??? Would I notice a dramatic difference ?
PS - might be upgrading to a 5020 if they get the panel issues ever fixed.
post #3084 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post

OK should I jump at this deal ? I can get a .8 92in screen for 800.00 bucks It would be used with a Epson 8350 in a completely light controlled room . Right now Im just using a homemade Blackout cloth with velvet borders ( looks nice to me). Figure this may be my only chance ever to get this type of screen but is it still worth almost a grand in a DARK room ??? Would I notice a dramatic difference ?
PS - might be upgrading to a 5020 if they get the panel issues ever fixed.

if you need a 92 i would say go for it. are you not sitting very far back from the screen?
post #3085 of 3545
92in screen is just about as big as I can go ( upper floor of an older bungalow style home ) , sitting about 9ft back. If I went larger (100in) my center would be too low .Projector is at 10.5ft back so plenty bright.
post #3086 of 3545
If you're getting a 92" BD for under 1k, and its the right size for u, I would think twice. It is absolutely worth it. U will get a picture that is 90% equal to a 90" plasma and almost 90% as useable as a plasma in ambient light at 10% the cost.
post #3087 of 3545
Sorry meant to say "I would NOT think twice" in the previous email
post #3088 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post

OK should I jump at this deal ? I can get a .8 92in screen for 800.00 bucks It would be used with a Epson 8350 in a completely light controlled room . Right now Im just using a homemade Blackout cloth with velvet borders ( looks nice to me). Figure this may be my only chance ever to get this type of screen but is it still worth almost a grand in a DARK room ??? Would I notice a dramatic difference ?
PS - might be upgrading to a 5020 if they get the panel issues ever fixed.
That's a great price. May I know who's the seller? How's the price for a ~120" ?
post #3089 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

That's a great price. May I know who's the seller? How's the price for a ~120" ?

The screen must be used or something along those lines. Only a dealer going out of business and looking to dump a screen would be selling at that price since it is way, way below dealer cost.
Reply
Reply
post #3090 of 3545
If it is the 92" that is for sale here in the AVS Classifieds, you should read the seller's posts on this forum. He bought the screen for $750, but it has a scatch on it. You should question the seller to make sure you know what you are getting .. That is probably too cheap to be a perfect screen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Black Diamond from Screen Innovations?