or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Soundbar help and suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soundbar help and suggestions

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I'm in the market for a soundbar to go under my LCD TV. I ONLY have 45" or so width and I am unable to put speakers on the L and R of the TV due to the setup location taking up the entire width of a column. My primary use will be MP3/CD/DVD/HDTV audio.

I've reasearched the Yamaha YSP-XXXX, Polk, and Phillips soundbars with "virtual" surround. Wasn't sure I buy into the whole "virtual" surround issue so I started looking at a few left center right three channel bars instead.

The two I am interested in right now are:
Paradigm Millenia 20 Treo
http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference...-3-20.paradigm
Artison Soundbar
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=908002
Infinity TSS 3-in-1
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...3-In-1/42.html

That being said, if the newer generation of "virtual" surround bars can produce decent CD audio, I would be willing to go there also.

These are the:
Denon DHT-FS3 (which looks really pretty)
Marantz ES7001

Let me know what you guys think.. I have a receiver and don't mind paying up for a small sub like: http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/subcompact6.html or http://www.sunfire.com/SuperJrPR.htm or http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JRbSJbK...x?i=602SUS100B

Lol, there may be too much information there.. but basically I just want a good system that fits in a tiny space. When I saw this form factor I thought it was brilliant....until I heard a few of the units and read the reviews that is...

Please give me your input.

(I had to make 3 quick random replies so I could post URLs!!... kind of irritating)
post #2 of 18
Thread Starter 
bump
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
no one has had any experience with these? i've gone to 6 different audio stores to check out the units in person and not one had the soundbar instock, on the demo floor, or hooked up if it was on the floor

i really want to hear before i buy....or at least get some other user experience reviews before i buy. please help!
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedigras View Post

Ok, so I'm in the market for a soundbar to go under my LCD TV. I ONLY have 45" or so width and I am unable to put speakers on the L and R of the TV due to the setup location taking up the entire width of a column. My primary use will be MP3/CD/DVD/HDTV audio.

I've reasearched the Yamaha YSP-XXXX, Polk, and Phillips soundbars with "virtual" surround. Wasn't sure I buy into the whole "virtual" surround issue so I started looking at a few left center right three channel bars instead.

The two I am interested in right now are:
Paradigm Millenia 20 Treo
http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference...-3-20.paradigm
Artison Soundbar
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=908002
Infinity TSS 3-in-1
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...3-In-1/42.html

That being said, if the newer generation of "virtual" surround bars can produce decent CD audio, I would be willing to go there also.

These are the:
Denon DHT-FS3 (which looks really pretty)
Marantz ES7001

Let me know what you guys think.. I have a receiver and don't mind paying up for a small sub like: http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/subcompact6.html or http://www.sunfire.com/SuperJrPR.htm or http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JRbSJbK...x?i=602SUS100B

Lol, there may be too much information there.. but basically I just want a good system that fits in a tiny space. When I saw this form factor I thought it was brilliant....until I heard a few of the units and read the reviews that is...

Please give me your input.

(I had to make 3 quick random replies so I could post URLs!!... kind of irritating)


All the soundbars you have listed either suck or will pale in comparison to the Yamaha YSP's.
I have owned the YSP-800 and the YSP 1100, the 1100 is jaw dropping great when used in the right shaped room.
I owned the Philips for a few days and returned it cuz it sucked beyond suck, it sucked to the tenth power, other than that it was great.
I have demoed the Polk (in store) and it sucked as well, not as bad as the philips, but suck it did.
The other sound bars you mentioned are not really mentioned in any reviews online or on this forum to much, the reason for that would be they most likely suck as well, althou to be fair, I have not heard Denon, Artison and the others you mentioned so I cant comment personaly on their degree of suck.
The YSP-4000 is the king of the hill in the world of soundbars and its also what all the other companys are trying to copy and so far it looks and sounds like none of them have come even close so far.
One soundbar you did not list would be the soon to be released SlimStage 50 made by soundmatters.com, a very interesting system that might be about the only real competition to the YSP's.
For what its worth, my opinion, just get the YSP-4000 and know you got the best soundbar that can be had with the best sound of any soundbar.

Davyo
post #5 of 18
We have used the Yamaha YSPs, Atlantic Technology FS-4000/ FS-5000 and Triad Mini LCR 3.0 and Polk Surround Bar. Aesthetics and sound the Triad wins but the FS-5000 will have more mid bass and some would prefer it. All need a Subwoofer.

Triad:
Pros:
Sound Quality
Custom Cabinet size to perfectly match you display.
Custom grill painting.

Cons:
More Expensive
Needs Surround Speakers

Atlantic Technology FS-5000
Pros
Very Good Sound
Better Mid bass

Cons
Price
Needs Surround Speakers

FS-4000
Pros
Very Good Sound
Decent Price

Cons:
Needs surround speakers
Price

Polk Surround Bar
Pros
No surrounds needed
Price

Cons
Surround doesn't work that well for difficult situations

Yamaha YSPs (I definitely recommend the 4000 if possible.)
Pros
No receiver needed
Very good surround sound
Can have different presets for sound. Like 'My Beam' Where the sound is directed towards one location and other locations it is about half as loud. Great for when one person who is hard of hearing and needs it louder than anyone else. Or listening in bed so not to disturb your partner.
No Surrround speakers
Works in difficult sitautions and might be better than surround speakers for some installations.
Works better if TV is not in a good place for typical LCRs

Cons:
Not as good as having surround speakers if you have a decent room for placement.

We carry Marantz but theirs is very new as well as Denon. I doubt many dealers have these on display yet. Both I will predict will be similar to the Polk surround bar with better sound and receiver built in. I doubt they can pull of what the Yamaha does for tailoring the sound to the room using only 5 set of speakers in the their cabinet.

Not sure if the Artison is shipping Yet. There are lots of sub options. Two solutions our cutomers like for aesthetics are either inwall or the Atlantic Technology Corner sub (10CSB) which is paintable and really blends in to the decor when painted to match the wall and has more punch than the minis.

I haven't heard your other choices, So I can't comment.

Hope this helps.

Bob
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try and demo the YSP-4000's and some of the other options mentioned.
post #7 of 18
The yamaha units are great if you need a full surround affect from a single box solution.

If you just need L/C/R from a single box, then the Atlantic Tech or Artison would probably be a better choice.

I've heard the Atlantic Tech and it is a very nice box. But it's tall (about 7 inches) and doesn't really have any custom options, it either fits or it doesn't. It's a big heavy piece with good sound.

I have not heard the Artison soundbar but I have a set of Artison portraits and they are very good solution for getting L/C/R on screen. I actually have a call into the factory to see if the Soundbar is ready to ship.
UPDATE: The Soundbar is NOT shipping yet, it will be out around Feb. or March of next year. The new stand alone subwoofers ARE available and currently shipping.

The main advantage of the soundbar is that you can order the custom grill which will exactly match the dimensions of the display. It's a very sleek look, as the unit itself is 3.5" and only grows to 4" high when you add the grill.

All of these units will benefit from a dedicated subwoofer, regardless of application, you will need a sub. Artison's sound good with Velodyne's or the Artison matched subs, not all of the new Artison subs are actually available, even after the showings at CEDIA. Atlantic Tech has a very wide range of matched subs depending on your needs.
post #8 of 18
Hi, I am looking at putting together a speaker system to go with a flat panel TV that will be mounted on a swing arm (A Chief PDR2244S or similar). I am familiar with using the Artison speakers that mount on the sides of the screen when mounted this was, but I am wondering if these soundbar type of speakers can be mounted in a similar way. Or are they intended to be mounted on a wall underneath a display that is just hung on a wall?
post #9 of 18
Chief makes a bracket for these surround bars and I think a specfic one for the Yamaha YSPs.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok, based on everyones input and my inability to find retailers with any of these in stock for me to test, I'm going with the YSP-4000's. I have also ordered the SubStage 100 from Crutchfield and hopefully these two will go well together, if not...Crutchfield gives 30day free return guarantee so I can switch it up for the Yamaha specific model or something else instead. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

All the soundbars you have listed either suck or will pale in comparison...

LOL. don't hold back; tell us what you really think.
post #12 of 18
let us further complicate your selections with the Niro1000:

http://us.niro1.com/product4a.php

The SoundMatters Mainstage HD and other units
and products by ZVOX
post #13 of 18
tymphany (parent of scanspeak) has a new product out which they claim has the "power of two 12 inch woofers in a column 7 inches wide". it is an oem product though, so not sure where you might find one.
post #14 of 18
<< The other sound bars you mentioned are not really mentioned in any reviews online or on this forum to much, the reason for that would be they most likely suck as well, althou to be fair, I have not heard Denon, Artison and the others you mentioned so I cant comment personaly on their degree of suck. >>

"They are most likely to suck?" "I can't comment PERSONALY (sic) on their degree of suck?"

Perhaps this is the work of a striking comedy writer taking time out from the Hollywood picket line, but if this post is genuine, then it's completely pointless. Somebody explain to me the logic of "I haven't heard it... seen it... or read it, but it's probably crappy."

May I suggest that contributors to this forum feel free to speak openly on those products they either own or at least know well and simply refrain from ASSUMING what something MAY or MAY NOT be in reality.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

tymphany (parent of scanspeak) has a new product out which they claim has the "power of two 12 inch woofers in a column 7 inches wide". it is an oem product though, so not sure where you might find one.

I like the emphasis on low end here.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

tymphany (parent of scanspeak) has a new product out which they claim has the "power of two 12 inch woofers in a column 7 inches wide". it is an oem product though, so not sure where you might find one.

We are one of Tymphany's biggest customers, and sometime this week I'm going to talk to our director of engineering about that product. He doesn't think we have an application for it, but it sure sounds interesting. I know nothing about it, and their website isn't very helpful, but it looks. More to report later.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

We are one of Tymphany's biggest customers, and sometime this week I'm going to talk to our director of engineering about that product. He doesn't think we have an application for it, but it sure sounds interesting. I know nothing about it, and their website isn't very helpful, but it looks. More to report later.

cool.
post #18 of 18
I'm looking for the same solution, and would want to mount it underneath a 40in LCD via the mounting arm. If Chief the mounitng arm to go with here?

A local dealer recommended the Paradigm Millenia 20 Treo - anyone try this out yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Soundbar help and suggestions