Originally Posted by zachfine
Wish I'd read these notes on having to shave part of the mwave lamp housing in order to get it to fit! I went about this installation in as dumb a manner as possible:
- I installed the new bulb, standing on a table to just barely reach the projector on a high ceiling mount (seemed it'd be a pain to unmount the projector).
- The new bulb housing wouldn't go in all the way, even though I was positive it was aligned with the little rails in the projector. So I used more pressure than I should have…
- Then when I realized it didn't seem to be in all the way (the bulb housing's screws caught nothing when turned), I tried to pull the bulb back out, but it was caught on something.
It was really stuck in there, and would not budge. So I did what anyone not afraid of an explosion would do under the circumstances -- I closed up the projector and powered it up.
The projector booted, but I could hear it failing to ignite the lamp. It'd make about 10 little clicking noises, pause, then do it again. I waited a minute, looked for smoke, then powered the projector down and resolved to unmount the thing and examine it. I was almost certain I wouldn't be able to set things right, and this would be my cue to start saving up for a new projector.
I finally got the projector down and started working on it on the kitchen table. I could not pull the lamp housing out, I pulled as hard as I felt was safe and then a little past that point, and nothing. I even wiggled it from side to side and top to bottom while pulling to see if it would free whatever was caught. Nothing.
Then I figured maybe if I pushed it in a little bit, whatever was caught would release. Nope. But it did push in further, in fact I could tell it'd go in far enough for the lamp housing's screws to reach their intended targets. So I pushed it in, put the projector back together, mounted it back on the ceiling, powered it up, and it worked. Light appeared.
So I've got a working bulb, that I'm unlikely to be able to ever remove from the projector
without disassembling the whole thing.
The new bulb seems plenty bright, but definitely has a much cooler color temperature than the original bulb. I'll have to calibrate my white point all over again. Unfortunately, either my remote stopped working a couple of months ago or the IR receivers on the projector are dead. I hope it's the former, as I've ordered a replacement remote.
I've been running the new bulb for about 4 hours now. My whole living room is filled with a burning plastic smell, which I gather from other forum posts isn't necessarily uncommon when firing up a new replacement bulb. Some people even say they smelled burning plastic for the first 50 hours of a new bulb. I hope it goes away before that much time has passed.
My original bulb was still working, but it had become more dim over time. It'd passed the 2100 hour mark and my projector had started warning me that the bulb needed replacement. So it was time.