or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post) - Page 289

post #8641 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo74 View Post

guess this problem is harder to solve than I thought.

Why is your TV on HDMI input 2? It should be on the HDMI output..
post #8642 of 8883
Thanks for your comments.
I've selected resolution as 720p and have also switched off OSD.
Still still no signal.
post #8643 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

If you have Monitor out set for HDMI, can you see the menu screens when you hit the setup key on the remote? If you can see that, then it could very well be an issue with whatever component you have hooked up to it. Is it a bluray player that you are trying to use by chance? If so, be sure to deactivate any of the auto resolution settings for the player and just lock your output at 720p and turn off any deep color or other bogus settings.. Another thing to try, is to turn off OSD (on screen display)on your receiver. Sometimes this can cause video display problems with some TVs.

Thanks for your comments.
I've selected resolution as 720p and have also switched off OSD.
Still still no signal.
post #8644 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum44 View Post

Thanks for your comments.
I've selected resolution as 720p and have also switched off OSD.
Still still no signal.

If you can not see your receiver menu on your TV when you hit setup on your remote and your HDMI out is active, then there is a problem for sure I guess... If you can see your set up menu via HDMI on your TV, but not video signals from your components then it still could be a handshake/copy protection issue of some sort.. If you can see your setup menu from your receiver, what are your exact sources that are not displayed? Directv receiver? Cable box, Bluray player?
post #8645 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Why is your TV on HDMI input 2? It should be on the HDMI output..

Well that was clearly a typing error on my post. I should have put "I have had a 705 for a few years now and it has been working great. Today I tried to swap over to the WII to play a game my kid got for Christmas and all I got was a blue screen. I can hear sound, just no video. That made me go Hmmm. So I swapped over to my Onkyo dvd player....same thing. PS3 and Cable box work great.

PS3 and cable box are HDMI-in 1 and 2. HDMI is set to yes.(works fine)
Wii is on game -IN1 components (blue screen)
DVD is on "---" old school Red,white, yellow connector. (blue screen)

Also when I'm watching TV though HDMI which works fine and press the menu for the receiver it also goes to blue screen.

I have read on the forums and it sounds like I may have to have it repaired and its not a setting issue. Would a factory reset help?
post #8646 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

If you can not see your receiver menu on your TV when you hit setup on your remote and your HDMI out is active, then there is a problem for sure I guess... If you can see your set up menu via HDMI on your TV, but not video signals from your components then it still could be a handshake/copy protection issue of some sort.. If you can see your setup menu from your receiver, what are your exact sources that are not displayed? Directv receiver? Cable box, Bluray player?

Unfortunately I cannot see the receiver info on my TV when I select setup on the remote. HDMI Out is set to YES. I read online somewhere, perhaps
the Onkyo TX-SR705 may not be able to upscale from 720p to 1080i. Would this be a possibility ?
post #8647 of 8883
I have an Oppo BD-93 that I'm trying to hook up through my SR705 using component video and digital optical audio from the Oppo to the receiver, and component video with analog audio from the receiver to the TV.

I'm getting audio, but no video.

I tried going directly from the Oppo (with component video cable) to the TV and it works. This tells me that it must have something to do with the SR705 not passing video through. I had an old Toshiba DVD player hooked up before, and I'm using the same cables, input ports, and settings. All I really did was swap out the DVD player.

Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this problem? Thanks!
post #8648 of 8883
Anyone know if Onkyo is going to support Apple's Airplay on this unit?
post #8649 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaninny View Post

Anyone know if Onkyo is going to support Apple's Airplay on this unit?

how could it? the 705 has no capability for ethernet or wireless networking.
post #8650 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpower View Post

how could it? the 705 has no capability for ethernet or wireless networking.

They make an iPod dock for it so why not make an updated dock with an ethernet port and/or Wifi in it?
post #8651 of 8883
They don't want you to keep your old AVR. They want you to have a burning need to buy a new one.
post #8652 of 8883
for audio only, you could buy an airport express http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ and connect it to your 705 via an optical cable or a 3.5mm minijack to rca cable.

for audio and video, get an appletv http://www.apple.com/appletv/ and connect via hdmi.
post #8653 of 8883
Hello guys,
I've a problem with my 705...I followed the instructions of the Gain Structure-Document (which is quiet nice) to measure the voltage of the preouts at maximum level.
But the receiver always shut down after a few seconds (when playing the 60Hz 0dB testfile). Is that normal? I mean it looks like that (like "its not a bug its a feature") but there aren't any speakers connected.
It even shuts down at Level 77 and I think IntelliVolume around +5 and Level for L / R Fronts at +5. At that Level the Front L/R-PreOuts only put out ~0,4V. The receiver is set to 6 ohm.

Any idea?
Thanks.

I'm from Germany...my english is not thaat good. ;-)
post #8654 of 8883
Hello,

I just got a used 705 but it does not have the audyssey mic that came with it. Does anybody know where I can pick one up for this model? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, James
post #8655 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4hitter View Post

Hello,

I just got a used 705 but it does not have the audyssey mic that came with it. Does anybody know where I can pick one up for this model? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, James

Do a search for Audyssey on Ebay, there's a bunch available for cheap.....
post #8656 of 8883
You can also purchase it new from Onkyo for about $12...

post #8657 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post


Do a search for Audyssey on Ebay, there's a bunch available for cheap.....

If you buy it off EBay, make sure it is the correct mic. You cannot use a mic from any other model.
post #8658 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewd View Post
If you buy it off EBay, make sure it is the correct mic. You cannot use a mic from any other model.
Yes, it appears that there are 2 styles of Audyssey mics out there... the shorter black round "hockey puck" style mic which the 705 used and the tall grey square bottomed mic, which the newer models use...
post #8659 of 8883
ok, thanks guys
post #8660 of 8883
I have the same problem as Nemo74.
Had a SR705 working fine for a few years and suddenly no video (audio to hifi speakers is ok) on ALL the composite inputs, which in my case is a DVD/VCR combo on VCR/DVD input, a Laserdisc player on DVD, and a Wii on Game. My Dish network DVR uses HDMI input 1 and that the video still works fine. I have HDMI Monitor Out on and OSD turned off. On the input/output assignments I have everything set to ---- except the cbl/sat which is HDMI1. I've tried every setting option I can find a few times but no luck. The blue screen does change format when I switch to a composite input, so it's sending something different to the TV, just not video.
Single HDMI out cable to TV which is a Vizio 47 inch.

We did have a power outage around the time this problem occurred, but I don't watch DVDs often enough to be sure that was the cause.

I just ordered an Onkyo NR708 from Amazon/Circuit City - at least I already know about all the stuff thats common with the 705 - will put it on a better surge protector.
post #8661 of 8883
After RTFMing, I found that under Pure Audio setting, video circuits are turned off. I thought this might be the cause of the no video on composite inputs problem, but changing the audio mode has no effect - still get blue screen.
Similarly the DVD mode of the RC-693M remote has a Video Off button, that apparently does the same thing. Pressing this button has no effect either - not sure if the button is a toggle - press for video off, press again for video on - or just off. So I'm still concluding that there is a problem with the receiver, possibly caused by a power outage in my case. Is it worth fixing? Maybe I can put this in my bedroom with only HDMI inputs and use the NR708 I ordered in my living room.

Dave
post #8662 of 8883
I just installed my Samsung with HDMI passing thru my Onkyo 705. The 3D is not so good, to say the least. Am I correct in assuming the Onkyo is the problem?

I did a search, but the answers were not clear to me.
post #8663 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb cline View Post

I just installed my Samsung with HDMI passing thru my Onkyo 705. The 3D is not so good, to say the least. Am I correct in assuming the Onkyo is the problem?

I did a search, but the answers were not clear to me.

it is not 705 problem for sure.
post #8664 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb cline View Post

I just installed my Samsung with HDMI passing thru my Onkyo 705. The 3D is not so good, to say the least. Am I correct in assuming the Onkyo is the problem?

I did a search, but the answers were not clear to me.

The 705 is not 3D capable.
post #8665 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

The 705 is not 3D capable.

Correct... the A/V reciever needs to be HDMI 1.4 to pass 3D video
post #8666 of 8883
Ah man. What a bummer. In order to get my new Samsung TVs 3D feature to work I have to run the HDMI source connections directly to the TV. It was my intention to connect the TVs one Vid/Optic output back to the Onkyo. But no! The damn small print revealed that the TVs Vid/Optic output is not 5.1 when the source connections are HDMI. Wonder why they had to do that.

So now the plan is to route the source Vid/Optic connections to the Onkyo 705, all 3 of them. So now my carefully crafted system that my wife could operate is blown all to hell. Works great for me, juggleing 3 remotes to change sources, but the wife hates it.

This advance of technology thing is tough on the bank acct. and and hard on the female mind. I'm going to pay for this.
post #8667 of 8883
When playing on the Wii, the video will "split" showing the right half on the left and left half on the right, or sometimes goes completely black. Putting an external fan on the unit will keep the issue from happening (most of the time).

I'm guessing I have a overheating analog up-converting board. Anyone have ideas on this, what do to do fix it, or where to get parts?
post #8668 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb cline View Post

Ah man. What a bummer. In order to get my new Samsung TVs 3D feature to work I have to run the HDMI source connections directly to the TV. It was my intention to connect the TVs one Vid/Optic output back to the Onkyo. But no! The damn small print revealed that the TVs Vid/Optic output is not 5.1 when the source connections are HDMI. Wonder why they had to do that.

So now the plan is to route the source Vid/Optic connections to the Onkyo 705, all 3 of them. So now my carefully crafted system that my wife could operate is blown all to hell. Works great for me, juggleing 3 remotes to change sources, but the wife hates it.

This advance of technology thing is tough on the bank acct. and and hard on the female mind. I'm going to pay for this.

Why not purchase a 608 model from ShopOnkyo.com and sell the 705? You can probably get at least $200 for it and you would be well on your way to paying for a 3D compatible receiver....
post #8669 of 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb cline View Post
Ah man. What a bummer. In order to get my new Samsung TVs 3D feature to work I have to run the HDMI source connections directly to the TV. It was my intention to connect the TVs one Vid/Optic output back to the Onkyo. But no! The damn small print revealed that the TVs Vid/Optic output is not 5.1 when the source connections are HDMI. Wonder why they had to do that.

So now the plan is to route the source Vid/Optic connections to the Onkyo 705, all 3 of them. So now my carefully crafted system that my wife could operate is blown all to hell. Works great for me, juggleing 3 remotes to change sources, but the wife hates it.

This advance of technology thing is tough on the bank acct. and and hard on the female mind. I'm going to pay for this.
And, if you get the 608, the configuration should be the same, so your wife would still be able to operate it.
post #8670 of 8883
Whenever I watch Showtime on Directv in Dolby Digital periodically the audio will cut out for about three seconds and come back on. When I listen in "all ch" there's no problem. Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Onkyo TX-SR705 Thread (FAQ in 1st Post)