or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › Suggestions on Moving Sony KV40XBR800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suggestions on Moving Sony KV40XBR800

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Well I'm upgrading to a plasma and have a week to move this Sony to my Mom's. Any suggestions on moving this 300+ lb. monster, besides hiring a pro?
post #2 of 24
Hire 3 pros?
post #3 of 24
Yea no joke 3 guys at least and you will need a van or a pick up to transport it. I recently moved the smaller 36xbr800 with myself and a young strong helper. There is no way the two of us could of handled anything any heavier and bigger. Also it barely fit into the back of my Toyota pickup with the canopy top, had to slide it in on its back, it was too tall to fit up right.
post #4 of 24
Get a fourth guy and a pickup truck. Moved one last February (bought for $500) and it won't get moved again, except to the dump.
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patfantx View Post

Get a fourth guy and a pickup truck. Moved one last February (bought for $500) and it won't get moved again, except to the dump.

Curb
post #6 of 24
Get a dolly. Get 3 strong guys. Get a van/pick-up. You're done.
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
I found a reliable local mover that is insured and bonded that will move the set for $125. I've spent over $3500 in the last day on new plasma's, a new Oppo player and an upgrade to HD D* so I figured another $125 was nothing and bit the bullet. They'll move it next Friday.
post #8 of 24
Not sure I like the "get a dolly" suggestion. The object being moved isn't a washing machine. Make sure the movers (or maybe you before they arrive) wrap the 40" monster with heavy moving blankets. Actually place the TV on top of a moving blanket and then wrap it up from the bottom. Then tape it all tight and closed with duct tape. Wrap the thing up like a mummy!
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers View Post

Not sure I like the "get a dolly" suggestion. The object being moved isn't a washing machine. Make sure the movers (or maybe you before they arrive) wrap the 40" monster with heavy moving blankets. Actually place the TV on top of a moving blanket and then wrap it up from the bottom. Then tape it all tight and closed with duct tape. Wrap the thing up like a mummy!

....and if you wrap it correctly....it may last as long as King Tut....!
Levity aside......BE SURE to pad the thing REALLY WELL.....and secure it!
I've moved both my 26" Sammy 16X9 and the 27" SlimFit after wrapping them Whisker's way.....with one strong assistant....no problems.....just take it s----l----o----w and easy.......Good luck!
post #10 of 24
I suspect that the biggest risk is all of the jostling that could take place on the ride to mom's house. Sudden, sharp movements are a crt's worst enemy. I would suggest making sure that 1 or 2 inches of foam is used between the set and any hard surface of the moving van.
post #11 of 24
I saw 2 guys lift one of these once, and to this day I still think it was a magic trick.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

I saw 2 guys lift one of these once, and to this day I still think it was a magic trick.

I and one other guy have lifted those sets multiple times. I install new equipment but still have to move the old sets for repair and disposal. It can be done with two guys. An appliance dolly with stair crawlers really helps. The sets are strapped down securely in the truck after being covered with heavy moving blankets. We've never had any issues.
post #13 of 24
I've moved three times in the six years I've owned this beast. And every time I've had to hire movers mainly for the CRT. I'll never forget the sight of two guys carrying it up three flights of stairs, then back down two years later. Money well spent IMHO.

)-(
post #14 of 24
I plan on moving, and have absolutely no interest in keeping my 300 lb gorilla 40" xbr 800, as I have no idea if it will even fit into the house I have not even picked out yet (and I don't plan on picking out a house around my TV!)

What is the fair market value of this TV? I paid $3,000 in Nov 2002, and it is in pristine condition. Comes with the stand (included in the paid for price). Never moved from the original place it was put, by professional movers, thank you Cr****field.

I live in the Fairfield County area of CT.


Thanks,

DG
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnido View Post

I plan on moving, and have absolutely no interest in keeping my 300 lb gorilla 40" xbr 800, as I have no idea if it will even fit into the house I have not even picked out yet (and I don't plan on picking out a house around my TV!)

What is the fair market value of this TV? I paid $3,000 in Nov 2002, and it is in pristine condition. Comes with the stand (included in the paid for price). Never moved from the original place it was put, by professional movers, thank you Cr****field.

I live in the Fairfield County area of CT.


Thanks,

DG

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get anywhere near what you paid for it. Large CRT TVs have really collapsed in value. If you can find the right buyer, you might be able to get $500 for it but it will more likely sell for $300 to $400. Finding the right buyer will be the tough part because the 40" Sonys are so massive and heavy. I've seen my KV-36XBR400 sell for as little as $250 on my local Craigslist.
post #16 of 24
Picked one up for $500 last February. Great set. Moving it or disposing of it such a pain that unless you find a CRT lover, you almost need to give it away or pay someone to move it.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnido View Post

I plan on moving, and have absolutely no interest in keeping my 300 lb gorilla 40" xbr 800, as I have no idea if it will even fit into the house I have not even picked out yet (and I don't plan on picking out a house around my TV!)

What is the fair market value of this TV? I paid $3,000 in Nov 2002, and it is in pristine condition. Comes with the stand (included in the paid for price). Never moved from the original place it was put, by professional movers, thank you Cr****field.

I live in the Fairfield County area of CT.


Thanks,

DG

You should reconsider never selling the 40XBR...seriously. You have a one-of-a-kind TV that provides reference quality PQ and is a HDTV Tube that will NEVER be made again. The Sony 40XBR will make an excellent bedroom TV, or spare bedroom TV, or any other spare room you have in your house. This TV was made at the pinnacle of CRT video tech and so-what if the mass consumers are clamoring for flat screen and paying dearly for many times the price for an inferior product (w/exceptions of course). You will not get a fair price for the TV, sp why not just keep it and enjoy its pristine CRT Tube PQ, no matter where you end up placing it in the home? YOU"D HAVE TO PRY MY SONY CRT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

You should reconsider never selling the 40XBR...seriously. You have a one-of-a-kind TV that provides reference quality PQ and is a HDTV Tube that will NEVER be made again. The Sony 40XBR will make an excellent bedroom TV, or spare bedroom TV, or any other spare room you have in your house. This TV was made at the pinnacle of CRT video tech and so-what if the mass consumers are clamoring for flat screen and paying dearly for many times the price for an inferior product (w/exceptions of course). You will not get a fair price for the TV, sp why not just keep it and enjoy its pristine CRT Tube PQ, no matter where you end up placing it in the home? YOU"D HAVE TO PRY MY SONY CRT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Amen! I have yet to see better picture quality on a plasma or lcd tv. I still get a smile on my face whenever I watch those nature specials on HDNet. The picture has an almost 3D quality to it and after recalibrating the set recently I am more impressed than ever.
post #19 of 24
I just got my RCA MM36100 back from the repair shop today. (yes - maybe not as much weight as the 40" but still very heavy- and worth the $250 to repair IMO).

But on the moving - on the trip over it was slid into my SUV with the face down - big mistake as I got some scratches on the glass (not too bad but be careful with the glass).

On the return trip a bear to get up the stairs. My sons finally figured it out and how to do it safely.

Get a hand truck with stair crawlers (maybe $50 or so from Harbor Freight tools) and set it on the rails using the lip at bottom to hold weight. Worked without incident but I also had a rope tied to the hand truck for going up the stairs.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

You should reconsider never selling the 40XBR...seriously. You have a one-of-a-kind TV that provides reference quality PQ and is a HDTV Tube that will NEVER be made again. The Sony 40XBR will make an excellent bedroom TV, or spare bedroom TV, or any other spare room you have in your house. This TV was made at the pinnacle of CRT video tech and so-what if the mass consumers are clamoring for flat screen and paying dearly for many times the price for an inferior product (w/exceptions of course). You will not get a fair price for the TV, sp why not just keep it and enjoy its pristine CRT Tube PQ, no matter where you end up placing it in the home? YOU"D HAVE TO PRY MY SONY CRT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

The set is not even Super Fine Pitch.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by avhed View Post

The set is not even Super Fine Pitch.

From your brief remark, I'm fairly certain you've never even laid eyes on a 40XBR, or even made a comparison between the Sony 36XBR & 36" SFP models. The SPF models came out about a year after Sony quit making the 40XBR's, and was a big discussion on this Tube Forum. Most everyone that went to the stores (including myself) and compared the two side-by-side could not tell a speck of difference between the SFP & non-SFP models, and the few that could tell the difference had to get up to within 2'-3' of the screen to see it. Not what I call "normal" viewing distance. Please do a little homework on AVS before making remarks on topics you have little or no knowledge.
post #22 of 24
i have one
dunno what to do with it

its perfectly good
post #23 of 24
Vdubpower where do you live? Maybe i can help. If you want rid of it let me know.
post #24 of 24
Well guys I know its a older post but . I just got one of these televisions for free from craigslist . But The guy said it need the chips that people are talking about . I can fix it if I want too . But may Have a pro fix it if its worth it . I have to test the set first to see how it preforms .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › Suggestions on Moving Sony KV40XBR800