or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread - Page 410

post #12271 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

My BD30 has made the rounds from different setups in my house. It's currently in my main rig (sold my BDP83). The player is bulletproof. It has played every BD I've thrown at it. However, I caved in and bought the Oppo 93. The BD30 will always have a place somewhere in my house.

Can you compare and contrast the 83 to the BD30 -- picture quality of blu-rays, speed, etc. (I assume you don't have the 93 yet --or have had little time to play).
post #12272 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Can you compare and contrast the 83 to the BD30 -- picture quality of blu-rays, speed, etc. (I assume you don't have the 93 yet --or have had little time to play).

I haven't received my 93 yet. Hopefully before Thanksgiving or shortly thereafter (fingers crossed). Comparing just bluray between the 83 and BD30 there really isn't too much of a difference. They both excel. It's when playing DVDs and seeing the 83 perform it's upscaling magic that you notice a difference. I hate to say anything bad about my BD30 because it's been such a strong player for me. But the upconversion in the Oppo is superior. Plus the Oppo does load faster.
post #12273 of 12539
I also have the BD-30, bought it exactly 3 years ago and had the exact same thoughts.
I was registered with Oppo do be notified when the 93 will be released, pulled the trigger on Thursday.
I believe since I payed about the same amount for the BD-30 3 years ago, I'm getting a much improved player and will be worth the price.
post #12274 of 12539
I've had my BD30 for three years now and it remains a flawless performer. Not a single problem and have never experienced any disc playing issues. I have always kept up-to-date with FW updates. Hoping that it keeps going strong for 3 more years.
post #12275 of 12539
Mine has 2+ years and so far, another flawless performer indeed.
I also have an Oppo BD-80 and have to agree that DVD upscaling is better then the Panny and not only that, but loading times and RC functions as well.

Furthermore, I've noted that with some bad audio-mastered BD's - such as Bon Jovi Live at the MSG - the sound is much better thru the Oppo...

For the records, I've watched this show several times, with family & friends and the lossless tracks (thru HDMI) does sound better indeed; maybe due to a poorer HW implementation in the Panny, don't know. Funny thing, this same behaviour doesn't happen while playing good-mastered BD's; go figure!

Anyway, my BD-30 is a keeper and will stay here until it dies on me
post #12276 of 12539
Quick question for you fellow BD30K owners. If you could trade it in for a brand new player, would you? I can get store credit for mine and basically straight across get a BD65 or Sony S370. I know both of those players will be much faster loading and offer more features, will I be losing sound quality or video quality? I run my player through a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and Marantz VP4001 projector if it matters. Thanks.

Oh I guess I could also apply the funds towards a BD85 or Sony S570 if that would be a better idea. Thoughts.
post #12277 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by subie123 View Post
Quick question for you fellow BD30K owners. If you could trade it in for a brand new player, would you? I can get store credit for mine and basically straight across get a BD65 or Sony S370. I know both of those players will be much faster loading and offer more features, will I be losing sound quality or video quality? I run my player through a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and Marantz VP4001 projector if it matters. Thanks.

Oh I guess I could also apply the funds towards a BD85 or Sony S570 if that would be a better idea. Thoughts.
I've got both the BD30 and BD65. While I'm happy with my 3 year old BD-30, the BD65 is much faster, and streams Netfix nicely, and the video and audio is at least equal if not better, assuming you're doing audio through HDMI or optical. For a free upgrade, it's a no-brainer.
post #12278 of 12539
If it does not cost you anything, upgrade. Upgrade to a 3D player with apps. I got a free Samsung player, goggles and 46" screen. All provide a beautiful picture and the ability to access the internet is great.
post #12279 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by subie123 View Post

Quick question for you fellow BD30K owners. If you could trade it in for a brand new player, would you? I can get store credit for mine and basically straight across get a BD65 or Sony S370. I know both of those players will be much faster loading and offer more features, will I be losing sound quality or video quality? I run my player through a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and Marantz VP4001 projector if it matters. Thanks.

Oh I guess I could also apply the funds towards a BD85 or Sony S570 if that would be a better idea. Thoughts.

As much as I enjoy my BD30 your question is a no-brainer: trade it in for a new player. Why? Because the blu lasers have a limited life and the BD30 has been known to suffer blu transport failures. Also, the newer BD players are faster with more features even if PQ would be similar.
post #12280 of 12539
I have the BD30, BD35 and the BDP-83. I prefer the BD30 over the 35. Both against the BDP-83 it's like a cheap Camaro against a Corvette IMHO. SD DVD's PQ the 83 wins by a KO in the first round!
post #12281 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

I have the BD30, BD35 and the BDP-83. I prefer the BD30 over the 35. Both against the BDP-83 it's like a cheap Camaro against a Corvette IMHO. SD DVD's PQ the 83 wins by a KO in the first round!

I agree. My BD30 has played everything I've thrown at it. I use my Tosh HDA1 to upscale my DVDs.....much better then the BD30.
post #12282 of 12539
Yeah the 2 known issues from day one [slow loading and sub par DVD scaling] are not gonna go away for sure, but it is a stable player no doubt. The new Oppo is vastly superior, and it should be even for the same amount.
post #12283 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Yeah the 2 known issues from day one [slow loading and sub par DVD scaling] are not gonna go away for sure, but it is a stable player no doubt. The new Oppo is vastly superior, and it should be even for the same amount.

I agree, the BD-30 did and still does what it was built for, however it was time to move on.
For the same amount of money I spent on the BD-30 I got the Oppo-BD93 with which I will never look back.
post #12284 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteran View Post

I agree, the BD-30 did and still does what it was built for, however it was time to move on.
For the same amount of money I spent on the BD-30 I got the Oppo-BD93 with which I will never look back.

I plan to do the same, once the BD93 is officially released. I don't want the pre-release version. I'll move the bd-30 to another room.
post #12285 of 12539
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else has had any vibration noise from one of these players?

Mine has started to make a noise, mainly when playing DVDs, and it is a bit annoying and worrying. It often is only at the start of a disc then goes away. Often it comes back at towards the end of a disc. Sometimes it is there for the whole play back.

The player is on a glass shelf, which is part of a tv stand.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Adn did you find a solution?

Is the player on it's way out?

Is it damaging the disc at all?

Any help greatly appreciated.

All the best

Sandman
post #12286 of 12539
Hello,

Quick update on nthe vibration problem. It's fixed! (I Think).

A bit embrassing really, I move the blu-ray player to the bottom self and the noise has stopped, will monitor for a while and keep my fingers crossed. So no new blu-ray player for me

Regards

Sandman
post #12287 of 12539
My BD30 has served me well up to now, but three of the last two blu rays I have watched on my bd30 have "crashed" about two thirds of the way through the movie. There is a 10 min block in Yojimbo that I can not access or else the player crashes back to the top menu. I also had problems today with Back to the Future Part 3. I believe the firmware is the most recent version (2.9). Can anyone tell me what is happening? Is it time for a new Blu Ray player?

The only complaint I have had against the BD30 (aside from the slow load times on Disney and Criterion movies) is that bright blue light on the front of the player which is not good for a room with a projector screen. I was looking to upgrade to the BD85 if my BD30 was kaput. Anyone know if the BD85 has that same bright blue light? From the pictures it looks like it kind of does.
post #12288 of 12539
My HT is completely black with the lights off. My receiver, BD player, HDA!, remote control battery charger, HD cable box, line conditioner and RF box all put out some type of front light. They are on a 3 tiered black glass, frame table below the screen.

I went to Home Depot and picked up some black tape, not electrical. It leaves no gluey residue. I taped off all the lights on all the devices, so now when the PJ is on, everything on the table is darkened!
post #12289 of 12539
Why not just disable the light in the player's menu? Do you have a manual?
post #12290 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Why not just disable the light in the player's menu? Do you have a manual?

Most of my devices have no disconnect lite in the menu, hence, the black tape.
post #12291 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

Most of my devices have no disconnect lite in the menu, hence, the black tape.

Oops the reply was actually meant for Shady J.The blue light on the BD30 can be shut off in the menu under SD card function.
post #12292 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Oops the reply was actually meant for Shady J.The blue light on the BD30 can be shut off in the menu under SD card function.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!
post #12293 of 12539
My Blu Ray player is not accepting any universal remotes, due to the fact that i lost the original factory remote. The closest I get to a response from the setup stage is a(Set 2) response on the player. What does this mean? Can I do anything to get it to work, or does it have to be taken in to a shop? please help! Also can only prompt a few movies from manually doing it on the player, if that means anything. Also all movies load, but cant get past the menu page. Please help in any way!!!!
post #12294 of 12539
bump
post #12295 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses154 View Post

My Blu Ray player is not accepting any universal remotes, due to the fact that i lost the original factory remote. The closest I get to a response from the setup stage is a(Set 2) response on the player. What does this mean? Can I do anything to get it to work, or does it have to be taken in to a shop? please help! Also can only prompt a few movies from manually doing it on the player, if that means anything. Also all movies load, but cant get past the menu page. Please help in any way!!!!

Buy a Logitech Harmony One. The BD-30 is in the Logitech database. So you just add the BD-30 to the Harmony One and you can then control it with the Harmony ONe. You don't need the original remote. The bonus is, the Harmony will also control all your other components too.
post #12296 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Does it do the same thing with other BD DVD's and SD DVD's as well? Assuming the playback is fine then it can NOT be the laser out of alignment.

Wow.. Sorry for the uber-long response delay... Yes, it plays DVD fine but it will not blay BD at all. The BD laser is dead.
I just replaced it with a Sony BDP-S570 that I snatched up at Amazon for around $30 less than the Panasonic 85. I have not received it yet (should be today), so I hope it was a wise choice!

Also, as caesar1 says above... the Harmony has worked great with my BD-30.
post #12297 of 12539
Works great now and a nice looking remote!
post #12298 of 12539
I haven't been able to get a Universal Studios blu-ray to work in my BD30 (2.9 Firmware) player in months. Both rental copies and purchased copies fail. The Universal logo comes up for a few seconds then disappears and then nothing from that point on. I left it for over an hour once just to see if the disc ever would play but it doesn't. I guess it's time for a new player. No one else seems to be having this problem so it must be my player is on it's way out but it's strange that it's just one studio. All other blu-rays new and old work perfectly in my player. Even older Universal Studios titles work. I've had this problem with all of the following: Green Zone, Get Him To The Greek, Despicable Me, Robin Hood. My player doesn't like something that the newer software in the Universal Studios disks must be doing.

Does anyone know if there will ever be another firmware version released for this player?
post #12299 of 12539
^^^

Are those Netflix copies? They usually have had issues in the past. If the other movies play okay then it is the copies.
post #12300 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post

^^^

Are those Netflix copies? They usually have had issues in the past. If the other movies play okay then it is the copies.

It was Netflix at first but I tried a friend's copy of Robin Hood and bought my own copy of Despicable Me and same issue with both.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread