or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread - Page 413

post #12361 of 12539
Burned 2 discs and I'm getting an "e disc" error trying to update. I guess I'll download every burning program I can find until it goes.
post #12362 of 12539
Are you burning it to a CD or DVD? I've seen it where you need to use a CD for firmware updates but this is only a guess.
post #12363 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Are you burning it to a CD or DVD? I've seen it where you need to use a CD for firmware updates but this is only a guess.

I was using CD-Rs as it describes. It took my like 7 discs and 6 different programs but I finally got it to update to 3.0.
post #12364 of 12539
I used a CD-RW just burned with not allowing extra sessions (I think this was important) and it worked just fine.
post #12365 of 12539
I've always used CD-RW media without a problem...
post #12366 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Guys,

my trusty'n ole BD-30 now sports a 3.0 FW upgrade though...

What does 3.0 do? What does it fix? My principal concern is that loading the new FW will incapacitate the BD-30 that is working OK now. I had a similar occurrence with a BD-60 and could not go back to the old FW - the BD-60 had to be replaced by Panasonic under warranty with a BD-605 - which is the reason for me not to update any BR player (as long as it works) which is what Panasonic tech support suggested (if it ain't broke, then don't fix it, because FW updates may not be innocuous).
post #12367 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

What does 3.0 do? What does it fix? My principal concern is that loading the new FW will incapacitate the BD-30 that is working OK now. I had a similar occurrence with a BD-60 and could not go back to the old FW - the BD-60 had to be replaced by Panasonic under warranty with a BD-605 - which is the reason for me not to update any BR player (as long as it works) which is what Panasonic tech support suggested (if it ain't broke, then don't fix it, because FW updates may not be innocuous).

If you are worried, then don't update. Panasonic rarely gives us very specific details as to what the updates do.
post #12368 of 12539
I haven't downloaded this one yet but I seem to recall that when I downloaded previous updates, it had a txt file or something that provided a little more explanation.
post #12369 of 12539
I really don't know what the 3.0 FW fix, because it's not on paper, but I'm sure that if Panny is still working to release a new upgrade for an almost 4 years - discontinued BDP - there's gotta be something for the better, no doubt, but risks are always present, though
post #12370 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

I really don't know what the 3.0 FW fix, because it's not on paper, but I'm sure that if Panny is still working to release a new upgrade for an almost 4 years - discontinued BDP - there's gotta be something for the better, no doubt, but risks are always present, though

Unless they want to brick all the BD-30's so we all go out and buy the latest Panny can offer.
post #12371 of 12539
My BD-30 is still on the original 2.2 FW as when I purchased it.

I have a 2.9 FW Disc that Panasonic sent me, but haven't dared to install it.

The Panny Tech suggested "Not to update"...unless I had an issue.

I'm happy to say, I've watch many movies and so far had no problems.

"IF", I did install the 2.9 FW Disc...does that also take care of all the updates "Between" 2.2 & 2.9 ???
post #12372 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah2631 View Post
"IF", I did install the 2.9 FW Disc...does that also take care of all the updates "Between" 2.2 & 2.9 ???
Yes
post #12373 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Guys,

my trusty'n ole BD-30 now sports a 3.0 FW upgrade though...

Please post your 3.0 assessment.
Thanks
post #12374 of 12539
TBH, I haven't noted anything different as previous 2.9 FW though.
I tried some BD's, DVD's & CD's and all worked flawlessly.

In terms of speeding, it's the very same ol' turtle, but it gets the job done
post #12375 of 12539
I did the upgrade with no issues. I didn't notice any difference with the new FW. I've only played a DVD through it. Haven't had a chance to try a BD or CD.
post #12376 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

I was using CD-Rs as it describes. It took my like 7 discs and 6 different programs but I finally got it to update to 3.0.

Do you have Vista or XP?
post #12377 of 12539
I upgraded to FW 3.0 yesterday without any problems from a Mac burnt CDR. Watched the BD of "Paul" last night and the player was flawless (funny movie, btw.) Got to give props to Panasonic for continuing to support their legacy products. I figured we had seen the last FW upgrade at 2.9.
post #12378 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan View Post

... I figured we had seen the last FW upgrade at 2.9.

So as I
post #12379 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Do you have Vista or XP?

Windows 7. I finally installed CDBURNERXP and the update disc worked perfectly.
post #12380 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Burned 2 discs and I'm getting an "e disc" error trying to update. I guess I'll download every burning program I can find until it goes.

Try downloading CDBurnerXP. It's free. Use the default settings and make sure you close the disc, no open sessions. Burning a CD with Windows Vista/7's built-in CD burning software has never worked for me for updating the Panasonic. CDBurnerXP works like a charm. What the new firmware does is anybody's guess. I wish Panasonic would release more detailed information. Good luck.
post #12381 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2456 View Post

....... What the new firmware does is anybody's guess. I wish Panasonic would release more detailed information. Good luck.

Upgrades to firmware have come when a particular popular movie has trouble playing on a BD player. If the movie is to Blu-Ray standard then the player manufacturer responds to repair a bug.

Or, it may have nothing to do with watching Blu-Rays. Panasonic makes a lot of cameras and camcorders. Everything on the market now makes HD movies in "AVCHD". Unique to Panasonic is the ability to remove an SD card from a Panasonic camera or camcorder, stick it in the front slot on a Panasonic BD players and view. There is no need for wires, software or computers.

I have a very new Panasonic camcorder and was amazed to find I could do this with 2.9. I can't do it on a new Sony BD player. I'm guessing 3.0 would include something to do with assuring this feature continues to work with their latest cameras and camcorders.
post #12382 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2456 View Post

Try downloading CDBurnerXP. It's free. Use the default settings and make sure you close the disc, no open sessions. Burning a CD with Windows Vista/7's built-in CD burning software has never worked for me for updating the Panasonic. CDBurnerXP works like a charm. What the new firmware does is anybody's guess. I wish Panasonic would release more detailed information. Good luck.

Already did. See one post above yours.
post #12383 of 12539
I forgot I have one these BD30's lying around. As well as a BD35. Are they worth anything?

The BD30 was a pre BD Live player wasn't it?
post #12384 of 12539
^True. The BD30's are a good blu-ray player. The draw backs are, like you mentioned, no BD live (a feature I've never used on my other (PS3)), slower start up and standard dvd video performance (some jaggies). With blu-ray, high def content, they do very well.
post #12385 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah2631 View Post

I'm considering purchasing this Blu-ray movie and just wondering if any BD-30 owners have the Skynet Edition and have any problems watching it?

Just curious because after reading reviews, it seems to cause issues with some other Blu-ray players.

Thanks.

Wow............Terminator 2........ Nobody ???
post #12386 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah2631 View Post

Wow............Terminator 2........ Nobody ???

Noah:
I have the Skynet T2. I'll check it since I'd just upgraded to 3.0 and I'll post shortly thereafter.
post #12387 of 12539
I don't have Skynet, but I've watched T2 on BD without a problem
post #12388 of 12539
I just upgraded my Panasonic BD30 firmware to 3.0, and it went without a hitch. I used a Mac for burning the disc and had no issues at all (I feel for the poor Windoze PC users that have to deal with making updates - it seems to be a major hassle for them). I played "Adjustment Bureau" and everything worked flawlessly so far. I did not try the Live feature because I am not connected to the internet (my TV system, that is). No bricking here!
post #12389 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmperry View Post

I just upgraded my Panasonic BD30 firmware to 3.0, and it went without a hitch. I used a Mac for burning the disc and had no issues at all (I feel for the poor Windoze PC users that have to deal with making updates - it seems to be a major hassle for them). I played "Adjustment Bureau" and everything worked flawlessly so far. I did not try the Live feature because I am not connected to the internet (my TV system, that is). No bricking here!

Some of us are smart and some of us are not. Last but not least some us are also HUMBLE. I got Windows XPSP3 and I burned the FW upgrade, installed the 3.0 and I did NOT waste any blank CD-R's=smooth operation I am way far from being a computer genius
Thank you
post #12390 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

I don't have Skynet, but I've watched T2 on BD without a problem

Check the Skynet T2 and let us know; I'm just saying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread