or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread - Page 416

post #12451 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSINWI View Post

I see that refurbs of the 210 are under $90 but there are enough negative reviews of the 210 to make me prefer the 220. I think the WIFI for Netflix might be good if the user interface is good.
I was able to get it to read War Horse tonight so I thought it was working but half way through the picture broke up and pixelated. It looks like the Blu ray laser pickup is shot. I'm tempted to pick up a BD220 although the reviews are mixed on Amazon. Just wait and view DVD's for a few months or pick up a player now... that's the issue.

I have had a 210 for over a year now. First one had an issue with the optical output out of the box. They replaced it and no issues whatsoever with it.
I also have a BD30 that still works but was replaced by the 210 for the 3D capability.

Mike
Edited by MSloss - 11/1/12 at 12:49pm
post #12452 of 12539
Can I be informed if Cinavia is included in Fw 3.1? Thanks in advance.
post #12453 of 12539
Done 3.1 upgrade , not infected !!
post #12454 of 12539
What did you expect? That firmware was released over a year ago.
post #12455 of 12539
Finally replaced my BD 30 with the Oppo BDP-105! Wow is all I can say, especially the loading times comparing the two players.Oppo with better video and audio with the capability to split video to the projector and audio to the processor. Sadly this is goodbye BD30 you have been a great first Blu-ray player!
post #12456 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Finally replaced my BD 30 with the Oppo BDP-105! Wow is all I can say, especially the loading times comparing the two players.Oppo with better video and audio with the capability to split video to the projector and audio to the processor. Sadly this is goodbye BD30 you have been a great first Blu-ray player!

I have a BD30 and can you please explain how the Oppo gives better audio and video.
post #12457 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

I have a BD30 and can you please explain how the Oppo gives better audio and video.


The Oppo BDP-105 has the ability to use the 2 HDMI outputs seperately for video and audio. That allows you to use the Qdeo video processor on HDMI 1 to your projector/display and run HDMI 2 which uses the ESS SABRE32 DAC. I should add that the improvement was more obvious with the audio with better channel seperation in all channels and with a really low noise floor that brings out the fine details in the soundtrack on a Blu-ray with uncompressed audio and reference quality video. Ridley Scott's Prometheus is one example of a reference quality disc.
post #12458 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

The Oppo BDP-105 has the ability to use the 2 HDMI outputs seperately for video and audio. That allows you to use the Qdeo video processor on HDMI 1 to your projector/display and run HDMI 2 which uses the ESS SABRE32 DAC. I should add that the improvement was more obvious with the audio with better channel seperation in all channels and with a really low noise floor that brings out the fine details in the soundtrack on a Blu-ray with uncompressed audio and reference quality video. Ridley Scott's Prometheus is one example of a reference quality disc.

My BD30 goes thru my Onkyo 680 A/V receiver and is connected to my Epson UB 9500 PJ. This inturns, goes out to my Definitive speakers. All this has been ISFed by Avical.

Am I missing something or our setups completely different?
post #12459 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

My BD30 goes thru my Onkyo 680 A/V receiver and is connected to my Epson UB 9500 PJ. This inturns, goes out to my Definitive speakers. All this has been ISFed by Avical.
Am I missing something or our setups completely different?



The main difference for one is components used. You are daisy chaining the HDMI connection from your BD30 to your receiver and then another HDMI cable from your receiver to your projector as you stated above? In my system before buying the BDP-105 I was running the BD30 as you currently are but with different components. So they were essentially connected the same. Using the Pansonic BD30 you can only run ONE HDMI cable out period! With the Oppo I am able to run two seperate HDMI cables with two seperate signals out from the player. One HDMI cable from my Oppo BDP-105 to my JVC RS-55. The second seperate HDMI cable runs from the Oppo to my Classe SSP-800 processor. The Oppo uses HDMI 2 as a dedicated audio connection to your receiver or processor when selected in the Oppo setup menu. The Panasonic does not! The Oppo player is designed to be connected that way to take full advantage of the newer processing chips available now with audio and video that the BD30 does not have. The BD30 was a great unit and it was my first Blu-ray player it was just time for me to move on. I still have and use a BD35 in my den system. I waited a long time to buy a new Blu-ray player for my dedicated home theater and thought the pushing of Oppo was all fanboy hype than fact but I have definitely changed my mind since buying one.The loading times are amazing what used to take 3,4,5 mins with the Pansonic the Oppo does in about 1 minute depending on how much Java script is being loaded. I Hope that clears it all up for you? Oh and after reading your signature I had to comment I just retired last year:D
Edited by Sharp1080 - 12/5/12 at 11:11pm
post #12460 of 12539
It's very simple the BD30 is a cheap Camaro and the BD Oppo's are state of the art CORVETTE's, DUH? My first BD player was a BD30, then I bought another one. Then I was able to afford the Oppo BDP-83. I demoted one BD30 to the MBR and replaced it with the BD35. I sold the 35 and I replaced it with a Sony. I sold an Onkyo AVR and I bought another Oppo BDP-83. I still have the BD in the MBR. Seriously the 83 Oppo is definitely in a league that the 30 can NOT compete at all. It IS what it IS biggrin.gif
post #12461 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post

It's very simple the BD30 is a cheap Camaro and the BD Oppo's are state of the art CORVETTE's, DUH? My first BD player was a BD30, then I bought another one. Then I was able to afford the Oppo BDP-83. I demoted one BD30 to the MBR and replaced it with the BD35. I sold the 35 and I replaced it with a Sony. I sold an Onkyo AVR and I bought another Oppo BDP-83. I still have the BD in the MBR. Seriously the 83 Oppo is definitely in a league that the 30 can NOT compete at all. It IS what it IS biggrin.gif

That's a bit of an unfair comparison. Oppo 83 came out around 2009 and the BD-30, years earlier like 2007. Would you have been willing to spend $500 for the 83 versus around $300 for the BD-30? It takes time to realize what the oppo can do and realize that it maybe worth it to some. Cost is always a factor that most cannot ignore.
post #12462 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

That's a bit of an unfair comparison. Oppo 83 came out around 2009 and the BD-30, years earlier like 2007. Would you have been willing to spend $500 for the 83 versus around $300 for the BD-30? It takes time to realize what the oppo can do and realize that it maybe worth it to some. Cost is always a factor that most cannot ignore.
READ:
I responded to the comparison. Furthermore I have both players and I call it like it is. Tough if you don't like the comments. That's the nature of the competitive beast rolleyes.gif
post #12463 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post

READ:
I responded to the comparison. Furthermore I have both players and I call it like it is. Tough if you don't like the comments. That's the nature of the competitive beast rolleyes.gif

+1

Jacob
post #12464 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post

READ:
I responded to the comparison. Furthermore I have both players and I call it like it is. Tough if you don't like the comments. That's the nature of the competitive beast rolleyes.gif

Hope that you like your out of date BD-30 and I do have one as well as the current oppo 103. Load time? Still waiting? And just how hot is the dvd or cd when you take it out of the 83? You are way behind the times, especially if you are unwilling to spend $500 which is always understandable. How is that for competitiveness? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
post #12465 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Hope that you like your out of date BD-30 and I do have one as well as the current oppo 103. Load time? Still waiting? And just how hot is the dvd or cd when you take it out of the 83? You are way behind the times, especially if you are unwilling to spend $500 which is always understandable. How is that for competitiveness? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
READ:
The BD30 is in the MBR set with two speakers. I know it's an old player, your sarcastic reminder is noted, thank you. I have two Oppo BDP-83's on my Home Theater. I use them strictly for SACD's and BD DVD's. For SD DVD's and regular CD's I use my Oppo DV-983H. Money is NOT a problem. I am perfectly content with my equipment, again thank you.
post #12466 of 12539
Hello


I am from England and have acquired a DMP-BD30 and upon trying it I have found that it plays every DVD I have tried. However, I have 2 blu-ray discs;
1; Avatar. plays perfectly (albeit a little slow to load)
2; Mad Max 2. this film has loaded but usually doesn't.

Before I start buying blu-rays I want to ensure the machine is working. I have cleaned the lens. The software currently loaded is version 1.7. The latest version on the Panasonic site is 2.7 which I have downloaded (Europe and UK version) and extracted. I have made an ISO with 2 different applications but I get the same result with each of them.

On closing the tray with my update disc in it I get the message "bye" followed by "L FVU" but then I get "E DISC" and the disc is ejected.

What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone provide a step-by-step guide to updating this machine?

Thanks
post #12467 of 12539
Follow the directions as exactly as outlined on the Panasonic page.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bd30/europe/index.html

S~
post #12468 of 12539
I have already tried that but am unable to burn a disc by the method described as I have only one PC with XP and it is missing the "enable CD writing" function.

Therefore, I have tried other 3rd party software with the results I mentioned in my first post.

I need either to find out how to reinstall the CD writing software that XP originally had or download software that can do the job.

That is the bit I'm struggling with.
post #12469 of 12539
CDBurnerXp works. Make sure you are using a CD-R.

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

S~
post #12470 of 12539
I am definitely using cd-r's and have made 3 unsuccessfully. The first 2 were made using imageburner. The 3rd using CDBurnerXP.

All 3 discs failed at the same stage. Has any one got a comprehensive, step-by-step guide of both the image creation process (joliet?) and the burning process.

I have the PANA_DVD.FRM file for Europe & UK version 1.7 sitting on a PC with Win XP and am desperate to update the machine as it appears to be in good condition.

Thanks
post #12471 of 12539
The instructions didn't say to make an ISO 'image' (ISO9660 doesn't mean it's an ISO image!). Windows XP's built-in burning sw doesn't do ISO. Just make a 'data' CD using ISO9660 format. It's a long time since I had this player but CD-RW worked just fine and is more environmentally friendly.
post #12472 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by davywavy View Post

I am definitely using cd-r's and have made 3 unsuccessfully. The first 2 were made using imageburner. The 3rd using CDBurnerXP.

All 3 discs failed at the same stage. Has any one got a comprehensive, step-by-step guide of both the image creation process (joliet?) and the burning process.

I have the PANA_DVD.FRM file for Europe & UK version 1.7 sitting on a PC with Win XP and am desperate to update the machine as it appears to be in good condition.

Thanks

Can you not do the online/Internet firmware update?
post #12473 of 12539
post #12474 of 12539
BD30 is not upgradable over the internet. Profile 1.1.

S~
post #12475 of 12539
I have now tried burning a data disc using iso660 filing system with exactly the same results. Has anyone else encountered this problem and managed to overcome it. This really does seem a long-winded procedure to update software.

What does L FVU mean? And why does the procedure terminate after this message?

Any ideas anyone?
post #12476 of 12539
Sorry you are having difficulties. Most of us here with Vista/Win 7 have all used CDBurnerXP without incident. L FVU means the firmware is loading. When finished the machine will automatically turn off. The only other suggestion is to slow the speed of the burn process to 4X. That has worked for others that have had difficulties. There is a dedicated firmware thread. I'm sure someone has posted there.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1064552/panasonic-bd30-firmware-thread

S~
post #12477 of 12539
I never had issues for upgrading the FW on my BD-30 and I always use CD-RW media, go figure...
post #12478 of 12539
Using CDBurnerXP (with windows XP) I have now tried writing a data disc using iso9660 format at 4X burn speed. Again the same result.

I am trying to update from vers 1.7 to vers 2.7. Is there any fundamental reason this should not work? i.e should I attempt to update to 1.8 and then incrementally through the versions?

Has anyone successfully updated to Europe & UK vers 2.7? If so, could they explain what software they used.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.
post #12479 of 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by davywavy View Post

Using CDBurnerXP (with windows XP) I have now tried writing a data disc using iso9660 format at 4X burn speed. Again the same result.

I am trying to update from vers 1.7 to vers 2.7. Is there any fundamental reason this should not work? i.e should I attempt to update to 1.8 and then incrementally through the versions?

Has anyone successfully updated to Europe & UK vers 2.7? If so, could they explain what software they used.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.
All updates are cummulative. No need to go through each one. Post one of the firmware thread has step by steps for different programs. Not sure why you are having trouble with CDBurnerXP. I have also used Roxio to do updates. Just to be sure, stupid question, but you are using the EU software, correct?

S~
post #12480 of 12539
I suspect there's something else going on other than CD burning issue: chasing that route (trying one burning sw after another) forever is barking up the wrong tree. It could be why the player was sold in the first place. IMO buying a 5-6 yr old player isn't the best route any more when you can buy new for so little nowadays. All the time wasted and frustration just isn't worth it.

Try at least to ascertain if the player reads CD-R, your particular brand, successfully. Copy a music CD.

Other things to try include clearing out memory cache, reset to factory defaults.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread