or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › HD Disk (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) EE and DNR list
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD Disk (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) EE and DNR list - Page 19

post #541 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

In addition to film grain removal, there are dirt and scratch removal artefacts (screen grabs at link):
http://www.lyris-lite.net/2008/09/01...val-artefacts/

And I thought that was a thing of the past...
post #542 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Looks like Nightmare Before Christmas is DNRed.

!!! And the missing limbs... Such a strange choice to be DNR'd. Who were they trying to impress?

After seeing the fairly grainy promo I was expecting the same on the actual disc, just with hopefully better detail.
post #543 of 746
A comparison of the promo vs the actual Blu-ray would be interesting. The captures from the promo are down at the moment.
post #544 of 746
Posting this again.

There will be blood - U.S Blu-ray

Time code: 08:12 ~ 08:21
Problem: Thin and transparent vertical line appears on the left hand side. Is this a lens issue or some other problem ? Please clarify.
post #545 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Posting this again.
There will be blood - U.S Blu-ray
Time code: 08:12 ~ 08:21
Problem: Thin and transparent vertical line appears on the left hand side. Is this a lens issue or some other problem ? Please clarify.

Don't see that line here.
post #546 of 746
"Transformers"?
Only the HD DVD or the BD as well?
Thanks.
post #547 of 746
Any thoughts?

Title: How the West Was Won (1962)
Studio: Warner
Disc: BD (USA)
Problem: EE
Time Codes:
Comments: on both Smilebox and regular versions
URLs: Example 1 Example 2
post #548 of 746
Surprised to see that Lethal Weapon isn't on the list yet as DNR screamed at me from the first few moments. I'm not sure I succeeded in getting screenshots that illustrate the effects, as this is the kind that's more obvious in motion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Lethal Weapon (1987)
Studio: Warner
Disc: BD (USA), HD-DVD (USA)
Problem: DNR
Time Codes: Whole movie
Comments: Temporal DNR causing unnatural and partially frozen grain movement, smearing, and disappearing image information in motion. Details of patterned wallpaper, clothing, etc. phase in and out of existence, especially during camera pans. Most times the movie cuts to a different camera angle, the picture is uncorrupted for a single frame and then grain-wiped for the rest of the shot (this switch isn't visible during playback).
URLs: Remnants of print artifacts frozen for an extra frame: A-B-C / Phasing details: A-B / Shot change: A-B / Another shot change: A-B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Blood is another Lionsgate catalog with digital scratch removal artifacts in addition to the previously listed DNR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: First Blood (1982)
Studio: Lions Gate
Disc: BD (USA)
Problem: DNR, digital scratch removal artifacts, minor EE
Time Codes: Whole film
Comments: Virtually no film grain, wax-like presentation, and an abundance of ghosting artifacts. Scratch removal mistakenly removes actual picture details like parts of bullets and light reflections. The image is also sharpened slightly but without visible halos. StudioCanal/Optimum's releases use the same bad master but without this digital processing.
URLs: Screenshot comparison thread
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part II has digital scratch removal applied but I didn't see any actual details mistakenly nixed by it. So I guess it shouldn't be listed for that?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)
Studio: Lions Gate, Optimum, Momentum/StudioCanal/Universal
Disc: BD (USA), BD (UK), HD-DVD (UK/France/Australia/Germany)
Problem: Inverse telecine (IVTC) error(?)
Time Codes: 1:23:57, 1:24:51
Comments: This appears to be an IVTC error of some sort, motion becomes jerky and frames are more or less duplicated but obviously interpolated from half-height frames (fields), replacing fields that are dropped entirely. It happens twice but only for a few seconds. The DVD doesn't have this issue.
URLs: Thread with video sample of the issue
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone want to confirm or deny the aliasing I see on vertical lines on the USA release of Rambo III?
post #549 of 746
1408 US Weinstein/"Genius" version - Aliasing throughout the movie - same as Dutch import

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1066204
post #550 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

I am heartbroken to report that some moderate but judicious grain scrubbing have been performed by Lionsgate at least on the defective MPEG-2 encoded copy of The Descent that I have in possession.

Evidence: Compare the first deleted scene shot inside the house where the ladies chatter vs house scene on the actual movie. You can find a moderate veneer of film grain on the deleted scene which has been judiciously scrubbed on the actual scene. IMO I found this to be quite distracting.

Can someone check my claims with your copy ?

My claims on mild application of DNR on the MPEG-2 version has been validated here.

Special thanks to Whiggles and msgohan.

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc..._insanity.html

mhafner,

Can you please double check ? It's definitely there.

Quote:


There will be blood - U.S Blu-ray

Time code: 08:12 ~ 08:21
Problem: Thin and transparent vertical line appears on the left hand side.
post #551 of 746
Title: The Doors (1991)
Studio: Lions Gate
Disc: BD (USA)
Problem: DNR/EE
Time Codes: Whole film
Comments: Obvious EE in some scenes, and plastic faces everywhere.
URLs: Cinema Squid's captures

Also looks like there's some kind of aliasing/noise around many edges but I'm not sure if it's just the chroma bug of the decoder.

Looking again at the list, I gotta say, Lions Gate has a terrible track record when it comes to older catalogue titles.
post #552 of 746
The Godfather...



Not too impressive...is that some DNR I see? That shot of Brando looking down reeks of it...
post #553 of 746
It's more likely a dodgy Photoshop clone brush/patch job; you have to remember that the state of the film before the restoration was abysmal. The grain is still all there on the collar as well.
post #554 of 746
If the whole shot looks like that then yeah processing was applied. The rest of the captures look good to me.
post #555 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

The Godfather...



Not too impressive...is that some DNR I see? That shot of Brando looking down reeks of it...

Maybe now this nonsense can stop before it gets too far:
Quote:


While I have no problem answering specific questions in regard to the restorations on film or video, I am obviously not about to review my own work, nor that of the restoration team.

At this point I can tell you that I have received final product and find it representative of the 4k data files and all digital files thereafter derived.

The entire team at Paramount Pictures, Paramount Home Entertainment, MPI (Warner Digital), Pro-Tek and POP Sound worked extremely diligently to create a product representative of the wishes of the filmmakers, further confirmed by the original approved dye transfer print of The Godfather as well as representative surviving prints of The Godfather Part II.

Our goal in creating the restorations was to replicate as closely as possible the intent and look of the films when originally released within the limitations of modern motion picture emulsions as well as home video digital technology. That intent has likewise been the basis of the new Blu-ray software, for which no digital noise reduction and no grain reduction have been used.

The films, as represented on Blu-ray, are as close as technologically possible to viewing The Godfather(s) on newly restored 35mm prints.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...7-post149.html

That's right from the source, not the studio PR dept.
post #556 of 746
Thread Starter 
I watched "Vantage Point" and found it lacking detail and sharpness. Looked often too smooth and blurry (for example crowd shots). Did I have a bad day or what? Looked processed to me. I remember a better looking trailer.
post #557 of 746
Really? These still shots all look reference quality to me; sharp, detailed, and a layer of fine grain.
post #558 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

Really? These still shots all look reference quality to me; sharp, detailed, and a layer of fine grain.

These are not even 1080p pics. And no crowd shots with thousands of people.
post #559 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

I watched "Vantage Point" and found it lacking detail and sharpness. Looked often too smooth and blurry (for example crowd shots). Did I have a bad day or what? Looked processed to me. I remember a better looking trailer.

Sorry mhafner. Whiggles doesn't agree with you.

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc...t_shot_at.html
post #560 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

Title: The Doors (1991)
Studio: Lions Gate
Disc: BD (USA)
Problem: DNR/EE
Time Codes: Whole film
Comments: Obvious EE in some scenes, and plastic faces everywhere.
URLs: Cinema Squid's captures

Also looks like there's some kind of aliasing/noise around many edges but I'm not sure if it's just the chroma bug of the decoder.

Looking again at the list, I gotta say, Lions Gate has a terrible track record when it comes to older catalogue titles.

It does look like the grain has been filtered away when you check the backgrounds of each shot......Pity as it's a fine film.
post #561 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

These are not even 1080p pics. And no crowd shots with thousands of people.

You need to log in to get the 1080p shots.
post #562 of 746
Thread Starter 
post #563 of 746
Yeah, terrible. I was hesitant to submit an entry to the list because it's a checkdisc, but I really doubt the final product is going to be any different.
post #564 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Sorry mhafner. Whiggles doesn't agree with you.

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc...t_shot_at.html

Maybe he had a bad day.
Anyway, it's not list material, just not as good as I think it should be.
post #565 of 746
Thread Starter 
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0368891/ has EE. Apart from that it looks nice.
post #566 of 746
From the captures here and here Nightmare on Elm Street is all DNRed up. Pretty greasy looking.
post #567 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Lethal Weapon (1987)
Studio: Warner
Disc: BD (USA), HD-DVD (USA)
Problem: DNR
Time Codes: Whole movie
Comments: Temporal DNR causing unnatural and partially frozen grain movement, smearing, and disappearing image information in motion. Details of patterned wallpaper, clothing, etc. phase in and out of existence, especially during camera pans. Most times the movie cuts to a different camera angle, the picture is uncorrupted for a single frame and then grain-wiped for the rest of the shot (this switch isn't visible during playback).
URLs: Remnants of print artifacts frozen for an extra frame: A-B-C / Phasing details: A-B / Shot change: A-B / Another shot change: A-B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly are we supposed to see in the the phasing details example? Or is this only relevant in motion?
post #568 of 746
Just remove that, I realized the pics can't show it properly.
post #569 of 746
An example of a movie without the shot-change protection Lethal Weapon and most other DNR'd titles have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Saw III (2006)
Studio: Lions Gate
Disc: BD (USA)
Problem: DNR / banding
Time Codes: Whole movie / 0:01:01 and 1:37:15
Comments: Temporal DNR causing detail loss, clumpy and unnaturally-moving grain, and a lot of motion trailing in darker scenes even across shot changes.
URLs: Remaining detail level / Slow motion shot showing trailing (these frames should have matched exactly since this is digital slow motion accomplished by doubling frames): A-B / Shot change with details from previous frame still visible: A-B / Another shot change: A-B / Banding: 1 and 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #570 of 746
Doesn't Mr and Mrs Smith also have that frozen grain which is so annoying when you see it in backgrounds ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › HD Disk (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) EE and DNR list