or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 251

post #7501 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

While we're on the talk of amps and processors, I've got a nice 5-channel SongTower/Center/Surround setup. Have an older Denon AVR-5800 which has a great amplification section. Would love to add some HDMI processing. Any recs for an inexpensive processor where I could just use pre-outs from that unit to my Denon and keep using the Denon for amplification? The amp section on this thing is really good and I'd hate to re-invest. Thoughts?
Cheers,
Chad

Call Electronics Expo and see if they can sell you the Denon 3312 for $550 delivered. Amazon was selling them for that price few weeks ago. Maybe Electronics Expo will do it. You can use the 3312 as the pre-pro.
post #7502 of 9127
ask them for a price on a 4311 at the same time....

i have a 5800 and an a100 (gussied up 4311)... i wouldn't even consider using the 5800 over the 4311 in my main room.... the 5800 is a fine unit (and serves me well in my wife's setup)... the 4311 is better...
post #7503 of 9127
on topic: I'm waiting on a delivery of a 3312 from acc4less i pad 599 for refurbished. I needed some hdmi sound also thats why i upgraded the avr. looking forward to trying it out. although it will only power my center channel as i will pre out the fronts and rears.

this plug is for my room treatments i just got yesterday from gik. I'm am BLOWN AWAY at the difference in sound coming from my ht2-tls. words cant describe how different it is. or they can i'm just not articulate enough. I kept thinking there was something wrong with my ears. like someone stated on a ac thread room treatments should be mandatory. everyone says it but is was the most drastic change for a relativity small amont of money compared to electronics. all i got was 3 monster bass traps for the back wall and to smaller 244 panles covering the front corners. I'm fascinated at how controlling the bass allows for much cleaner highs and mids. the change is remarkable. I dont get it.

sorry to go off a different tangent that the most recent posts. but i had to say something. 450450
post #7504 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Congrats, guf - they look very nice.
post #7505 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

How about a used Parasound Classic 2100 preamp and Emotiva XPA-3?
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/emotiva-xpa-3-3-channel-amplifier
I may be selling my Parasound preamp soon, so combine that with the XPA-3 at that link and you'd have an awesome pair of separates for $1000 or less. The seller of the XPA-3 is looking for local pickup, but I bet he could be persuaded. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

You could get a Musical Fidelity A5 or a used Krell KAV250. Both would be good choices. I owned an A5 once and it was a solid integrated. A previous poster mentioned AVA - they make good kit and have an integrated new for $1,500.
None of them have any bass management though. The Parasound 2100 does however. I recently sold my old one for $400 so you can pick them up used which would leave you $600 for an amp. There is an Acurus 200wpc on Audiocircle for $400 I think. The two of them together would make for a nice system and you could upgrade from there.


Thank you both.

Nuance, please pm me when you are ready to sell.

Guys, I am new to all this, please help me out here. After some reading I understand that it is not really necessary to have sub for a pure music setup and looks like STs can really go low. So, If that is true, then I don't want to plan for bass management for the time being, I would consider that during the upgrades though. do you think it is a good way to approach? Any other ideas to keep me going for a little time before I get a chance to upgrade and at the same time keep the budget low to start with?

For power, how about this?
post #7506 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

Thank you both.
Nuance, please pm me when you are ready to sell.
Guys, I am new to all this, please help me out here. After some reading I understand that it is not really necessary to have sub for a pure music setup and looks like STs can really go low. So, If that is true, then I don't want to plan for bass management for the time being, I would consider that during the upgrades though. do you think it is a good way to approach? Any other ideas to keep me going for a little time before I get a chance to upgrade and at the same time keep the budget low to start with?
For power, how about this?

Tell us more about your room and listening habits. It'll help us better answer your questions.

That Omegastar would be nice! wink.gif
post #7507 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Tell us more about your room and listening habits. It'll help us better answer your questions.
That Omegastar would be nice! wink.gif

I will try to be as detailed I can be,

- bedroom in feets 12*14 or office(same size approx)
- like to listen for extended hours at moderate volumes, at high volume for short periods(approx 1hr just saying)
- type of music, I don't think I can explain it better but it is going to be 95% INDIAN movie music, I don't know how to put it in other words.
- sources (in market for a device CD player with networking):
- to start with majority going to be mp3(at various kpbs) from my NAS
- will be moving to audio CD/DVD
post #7508 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

I will try to be as detailed I can be,
- bedroom in feets 12*14 or office(same size approx)
- like to listen for extended hours at moderate volumes, at high volume for short periods(approx 1hr just saying)
- type of music, I don't think I can explain it better but it is going to be 95% INDIAN movie music, I don't know how to put it in other words.
- sources (in market for a device CD player with networking):
- to start with majority going to be mp3(at various kpbs) from my NAS
- will be moving to audio CD/DVD

Thank you - that helps. Well, in that sized room you probably won't "need" a subwoofer for music, but it'll depend on a couple factors:

1) How much influence the room is having on the sound. Smallish rooms such as that can reek havoc on the frequencies below the Schroeder Frequency (200-300Hz). My room is the same width as yours, but I utilize dual 15" sealed subs because of what happens below the crossover. It's not that I "need" the subs for music, but rather I want them in order to smooth out the frequency response below 80Hz.

2) How much bass slam you desire. Subs are great for adding that extra octave or two of sound, but especially for adding punch. If you cross at 80 or above, I think you'll certainly gain some midbass slam, which is desirable to many people. And if you utilize a parametric EQ for the subs, you can tune the bass curve to your liking.

Concerning CD players, must you go that route, or would you be open to moving into the streaming realm of things?
post #7509 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post

..... After some reading I understand that it is not really necessary to have sub for a pure music setup and looks like STs can really go low....

Personally, I wouldn't do without a sub for music or movies.wink.gif
post #7510 of 9127
^^^

me neither... smile.gif
post #7511 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Thank you - that helps. Well, in that sized room you probably won't "need" a subwoofer for music, but it'll depend on a couple factors:
1) How much influence the room is having on the sound. Smallish rooms such as that can reek havoc on the frequencies below the Schroeder Frequency (200-300Hz). My room is the same width as yours, but I utilize dual 15" sealed subs because of what happens below the crossover. It's not that I "need" the subs for music, but rather I want them in order to smooth out the frequency response below 80Hz.
2) How much bass slam you desire. Subs are great for adding that extra octave or two of sound, but especially for adding punch. If you cross at 80 or above, I think you'll certainly gain some midbass slam, which is desirable to many people. And if you utilize a parametric EQ for the subs, you can tune the bass curve to your liking.
Concerning CD players, must you go that route, or would you be open to moving into the streaming realm of things?

Walls 100% brick & mortar, so I assume room will play a huge role and it is a sealed room with one window.
Not too much of bass but at times I wanted to be slammed.

CD player, I would really like one which can play all my media, CDs and mp3s over DLNA/shares/whatever. Going separates too many electronics, better if I can avoid that. Otherwise I am open. At this point, not too much into SACDs well of course FLAC support is good to have and some digital ins or USB(usb is better). I was thinking of PS3(no flac though), inexpensive and outstanding in the price range, only problem is need a separate display. If I go higher up the ladder, there are so many choices and I haven't yet started looking at them. A nice suggestion will help me a lot.

Nuance, can I PM you? I need some help with the Omegastar. Looks like whatever route I take, Omegastar is a winner. What say?
post #7512 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Personally, I wouldn't do without a sub for music or movies.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
me neither... smile.gif

me too.

I will try avoid not having sub in my setup but with current budget limitations I would leave that for future upgrades if necessary.

Thank you for inputs.
post #7513 of 9127
I found these comments about the STs and 2100

Any ideas about the new announced Synergy Control Amplifier, I called AVA number and I believe I talked to Frank, he was suggesting me this one and price wise looks good, though little over my budget.
post #7514 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpio View Post


Nuance, can I PM you? I need some help with the Omegastar. Looks like whatever route I take, Omegastar is a winner. What say?

Of course you can good sir; no need to ask, just go ahead and message me. smile.gif
post #7515 of 9127
Has anyone heard the WOW1 mini monitor? That looks like an interesting speaker.
post #7516 of 9127
Thread Starter 
^ A handful of the fine folks over at the Salk circle at Audio Circle have, so if no one responds to your inquiry here try posting over there. smile.gif
post #7517 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by guf View Post

on topic: I'm waiting on a delivery of a 3312 from acc4less i pad 599 for refurbished. I needed some hdmi sound also thats why i upgraded the avr. looking forward to trying it out. although it will only power my center channel as i will pre out the fronts and rears.
this plug is for my room treatments i just got yesterday from gik. I'm am BLOWN AWAY at the difference in sound coming from my ht2-tls. words cant describe how different it is. or they can i'm just not articulate enough. I kept thinking there was something wrong with my ears. like someone stated on a ac thread room treatments should be mandatory. everyone says it but is was the most drastic change for a relativity small amont of money compared to electronics. all i got was 3 monster bass traps for the back wall and to smaller 244 panles covering the front corners. I'm fascinated at how controlling the bass allows for much cleaner highs and mids. the change is remarkable. I dont get it.
sorry to go off a different tangent that the most recent posts. but i had to say something. 450450

Really like your acoustic panels. On the GIK site I saw that you could get artwork put on them as an option. Great idea for the WAF!
post #7518 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

Has anyone heard the WOW1 mini monitor? That looks like an interesting speaker.

They are great!



Jim and Dennis built them for my livingroom where I needed to put them on bookshelves (hence the front port and some of the crossover magic) and very tight size constraints.

A bunch of people got to hear them before me at an event at Jim's shop just before he sent them. He played them without a sub and people couldn't believe it. I use a Parasound 2100 with them crossed to a sub at 80Hz.

I am extremely happy - and since building mine Jim has sold at least two other pairs to also happy listeners.
post #7519 of 9127
The WOW1 look very similar to Dennis Murphy's MB0W1 design. Unless he sold them at CAF last weekend he has a pair in maple veneer that may still be for sale, I was going to buy them as surrounds but decided to keep my towers instead.
post #7520 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

They are great!

Jim and Dennis built them for my livingroom where I needed to put them on bookshelves (hence the front port and some of the crossover magic) and very tight size constraints.
A bunch of people got to hear them before me at an event at Jim's shop just before he sent them. He played them without a sub and people couldn't believe it. I use a Parasound 2100 with them crossed to a sub at 80Hz.
I am extremely happy - and since building mine Jim has sold at least two other pairs to also happy listeners.

From the looks of it, that's the same woofer that's used in the HT2 designs? If so, that woofer digs REALLY deep. MUCH more so than my SongTowers do. I don't do much 2-channel listening (and never without a sub) so it was not really an issue for me, but if I was doing 2-channel only that's a great woofer to choose from. I was shocked how much bass came from the HT2-TL's I listened to. If I was just buying SongTowers only, I don't think they would go low enough for most listeners without a sub, but they are certainly ridiculously accurate and clear biggrin.gif
post #7521 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

From the looks of it, that's the same woofer that's used in the HT2 designs?

Same family, but the HT2 uses the W18 and the WOW1 uses the W12 (much smaller, but still digs incredibly deep for its size).

The design goal was a monitor that would sound incredible crossed over at 80Hz - the result far exceeds the goal cool.gif
post #7522 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

The WOW1 look very similar to Dennis Murphy's MB0W1 design.

It was because of the MBOW1 and CAOW1 that I suggested Jim call these the WOW1
- MBOW1 uses the M130 woofer and OW1 tweeter
- CAOW1 uses the CA15RLY woofer and OW1 tweeter
- WOW1 uses the W12 woofer and OW1 tweeter
post #7523 of 9127
They def. are good looking speakers.
One last question out of curiosity. How do the super charged Song Towers compare to HT1-TL's? They are exactly the same price? From reviews it sounds like the HT2-Tl's are quite a bit better, but I wonder how they compare when you take one of the drivers away and form the HT1-TL. My guess would be the HT1 may have a more refined high end, but a little less bass? Just a guess.Really wish I made enough to be able to justify the $4500 pair of speakers. Some day.
post #7524 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

They def. are good looking speakers.
One last question out of curiosity. How do the super charged Song Towers compare to HT1-TL's? They are exactly the same price? From reviews it sounds like the HT2-Tl's are quite a bit better, but I wonder how they compare when you take one of the drivers away and form the HT1-TL. My guess would be the HT1 may have a more refined high end, but a little less bass? Just a guess.Really wish I made enough to be able to justify the $4500 pair of speakers. Some day.

There is an owner in Omaha that owns the CA woofer version of the Song Towers, the LCY Ribbon Tweeter HT2-TLs and the first passive radiator Rythmik. He is a great host. It might be worth it when you visit your sister and also check out HuskerOmaha's system.
post #7525 of 9127
Anyone in the SLC, Utah area that would be willing to let me listen to their Salks, specifically RAAL equipped Salks?

Please let me know.

-Brian
post #7526 of 9127
what do you guys use for surround speakers? the ones they offer seem kinda big.
post #7527 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

what do you guys use for surround speakers? the ones they offer seem kinda big.

I use SongSurround I's. Ya, they are a little big but they look fabulous finished in the same hand rubbed finish as my HT2-TL's.

Before I got the SongSurround I's, I used some little Ascend HTM-200's left over from my previous system which worked fine. Not much extension but as a surround speaker they did the job. My upgrade to the SongSurround I's was as much for aesthetics as it was for sonic value although the SongSurround I's sound great and have much better low end extension.
post #7528 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Moon View Post

I use SongSurround I's. Ya, they are a little big but they look fabulous finished in the same hand rubbed finish as my HT2-TL's...My upgrade to the SongSurround I's was as much for aesthetics as it was for sonic value although the SongSurround I's sound great and have much better low end extension.
+1
I have the Surround I speakers in the rear. They're large, but they look so nice and really do sound great. Audyssey even registers them as "large" which indicates they're capable of more than they will probably ever do serving as surrounds.
post #7529 of 9127
so if your using those as rears if you have the raal tweeter for yo front and centre did you match that tweeter with the rear speakers?
post #7530 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

so if your using those as rears if you have the raal tweeter for yo front and centre did you match that tweeter with the rear speakers?
I went with the standard Surround I. The upgrade would have been another $700 and I was already about 20% over budget. I wanted the RAALs for two channel music and the ever-important center channel, but I reckoned--and Jim agreed--that the secondary sounds you normally get out of the rears in a 5.1 mix wouldn't justify the additional expense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread