or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 255

post #7621 of 9127
Tom wanted a pair of SoundScape 10's to replace the bubinga HT3's in his main system.

He wanted a similar color finish, but really wanted to take things to the next level.

So we searched for a nice quilted maple to work with. We first dyed the entire cabinets solid black. We then sanded the surface. Where the wood was soft, the black soaked in and was not sanded away. Where the wood was hard, the sanding removed the black, leaving the white maple exposed.

We added a deep rose/red dye to the final topcoat. The result was a deep rose/red color with a lot of depth (contrast) in the black areas. This is a nice technique to get more contrast than would be available just dying the wood the final color.

We topped things off by hand rubbing the finish to high gloss. This resulted in one of the richest looking finishes we have ever done.

Here are some pictures...

ss10-rosered-quiltedmaple.jpg

And here is a close-up...

ss10-rosered-quiltedmaple-cu.jpg

Happy listening Tom!

- Jim
post #7622 of 9127
Peter wanted a pair of SoundScape 8's and looked for quite a while to find just the right veneer. In the end, he settled on some bird's eye maple with some very unique figuring.

He wanted them in a smokey silver finish, but not so dark as to obscure the wonderful figuring of the wood.

Here are the results...

ss8-smokeysilverbirdseyemaple.jpg

And a close-up...

ss8-smokeysilverbirdseyemaple-cu.jpg

These are currently on their way to Anchorage and Peter should have them shortly.

Happy listening Peter!

- Jim
post #7623 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

I'm planning to talk with him, of course. Will receive the SS8's (hopefully Friday) and get settled first. Doesn't stop me from exploring though!
Better hurry up and decide. biggrin.gif
Congrats on the new speakers. They're gorgeous.
post #7624 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

My bad redface.gif
Although I'd reconsider.
The SC is a perfect match for STs. SS8s use different woofers and have a mid that the SC doesn't.
Although each speaker individually is awesome, I would suspect a timbre match issue would exist if mixing. Just MHO.
Edit - you could even see if Jim would build a SSC as T-M-W instead of W-T-M-W. That would make it quite a bit narrower, and still a perfect timbre match.

Thanks for the suggestions. Height and weight are the biggest factors. I could accommodate width more easily. I'm not as concerned with the risk of timber mismatch. There have been reports from others that have gone this route with success. Using the same tweeter is the biggest factor I think. One way that I can test, is see how poor the match is between the SS8's and my current Paradigm Studio 590 center. If that is reasonable, any Salk with the RAAL would be considerably better.
post #7625 of 9127
Kyle wanted a pair of Veracity HT3's in macassar ebony. But he didn't want "normal" ebony...he wanted something special.

After quite a search, he came across this batch and we went right to work.

Here are some photos...

ht3-ebony.jpg

And a close-up...

ht3-ebony-cu.jpg

Happy listening Kyle!

- Jim
post #7626 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

Peter wanted a pair of SoundScape 8's and looked for quite a while to find just the right veneer. In the end, he settled on some bird's eye maple with some very unique figuring.
He wanted them in a smokey silver finish, but not so dark as to obscure the wonderful figuring of the wood.
Here are the results...
ss8-smokeysilverbirdseyemaple.jpg
And a close-up...
ss8-smokeysilverbirdseyemaple-cu.jpg
These are currently on their way to Anchorage and Peter should have them shortly.
Happy listening Peter!
- Jim

Just stunning. Me wanty eek.gif
post #7627 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

My bad redface.gif
Although I'd reconsider.
The SC is a perfect match for STs. SS8s use different woofers and have a mid that the SC doesn't.
Although each speaker individually is awesome, I would suspect a timbre match issue would exist if mixing. Just MHO.
Edit - you could even see if Jim would build a SSC as T-M-W instead of W-T-M-W. That would make it quite a bit narrower, and still a perfect timbre match.

^ This! Timbre matching is very important for the HT experience IMO, and even more so if you'll be listening to multi-channel music. Sure the SSC is huge, but it's worth it, and I highly recommend it.
post #7628 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

Tom wanted a pair of SoundScape 10's to replace the bubinga HT3's in his main system.
He wanted a similar color finish, but really wanted to take things to the next level.
So we searched for a nice quilted maple to work with. We first dyed the entire cabinets solid black. We then sanded the surface. Where the wood was soft, the black soaked in and was not sanded away. Where the wood was hard, the sanding removed the black, leaving the white maple exposed.
We added a deep rose/red dye to the final topcoat. The result was a deep rose/red color with a lot of depth (contrast) in the black areas. This is a nice technique to get more contrast than would be available just dying the wood the final color.
We topped things off by hand rubbing the finish to high gloss. This resulted in one of the richest looking finishes we have ever done.
Here are some pictures...
ss10-rosered-quiltedmaple.jpg
And here is a close-up...
ss10-rosered-quiltedmaple-cu.jpg
Happy listening Tom!
- Jim

Jim,

All of the pictures you posted are stunning, but this one takes the cake. These are the nicest SoundScape series speakers I've ever seen. Congrats to Tom and all of the new owners. And to Jim, another job well done sir. Absolutely amazing!
post #7629 of 9127
Simply stunning.
I've make my decision to go with Salk and email has been sent. Now for the waiting.
post #7630 of 9127
Songtowers - supercharged vs normally aspirated confused.gif

Supercharging replaces the CA15 with a W15, understood.

The only Salks I've heard are my WOW1s with the W12, and they sound great.

What does the W15 provide over the CA15?

- digs deeper?

- what else, or is that all?

Thanks smile.gif
post #7631 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post

Simply stunning.
I've make my decision to go with Salk and email has been sent. Now for the waiting.

That's awesome - congrats to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Songtowers - supercharged vs normally aspirated confused.gif
Supercharging replaces the CA15 with a W15, understood.
The only Salks I've heard are my WOW1s with the W12, and they sound great.
What does the W15 provide over the CA15?
- digs deeper?
- what else, or is that all?
Thanks smile.gif

- Bass depth
- Slightly better midrange resolution/clarity
Edited by Nuance - 8/14/12 at 1:20pm
post #7632 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

That's awesome - congrats to you!
- Bass depth and slam
- Slightly better midrange resolution/clarity

Well, actually the W15 won't provide more slam. They will go a little lower, but their Xmax is shorter than the CA15's, so they really don't have more, or even as much, power handling. They are more precision machines than midbass machines.
post #7633 of 9127
Thread Starter 
^ I stand corrected - post edited. Speaking of edited, the OP was also changed with the pictures that Jim recently posted of the SS10's and 8's.
post #7634 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Well, actually the W15 won't provide more slam. They will go a little lower, but their Xmax is shorter than the CA15's, so they really don't have more, or even as much, power handling. They are more precision machines than midbass machines.

So does this mean that ST SC have a lower sensitivity than normal ST; or does lower power handling just mean less dynamics (i.e. would they start to show signs of compression at lower power peaks)?

Also my bad; I mentioned CA15 whereas the ST uses the ER15. Now I am confused between CA/ER/W confused.gif
post #7635 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

So does this mean that ST SC have a lower sensitivity than normal ST; or does lower power handling just mean less dynamics (i.e. would they start to show signs of compression at lower power peaks)?
Also my bad; I mentioned CA15 whereas the ST uses the ER15. Now I am confused between CA/ER/W confused.gif

Don't worry about the difference between the CA and ER 15. The only realy difference is a little flatter response for the ER. The W15 may have slightly lower sensitivity, but in an MTM that won't really matter. And the slightly lower power handling also won't be a real issue with two woofers going in parallel. I just didn't want people to think that the W15 had significantly greater power handling than the ER15. (or CA15).
post #7636 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

What does the W15 provide over the CA15?
- digs deeper?
- what else, or is that all?
Thanks smile.gif

It's got a very linear, low inductance motor including a copper phase plug and I believe more shorting rings. And with its magnesium cone, it really should be pistonic over its usable entire passband. The above should lead to better resolution.
Quote:
So does this mean that ST SC have a lower sensitivity than normal ST; or does lower power handling just mean less dynamics (i.e. would they start to show signs of compression at lower power peaks)?
]

Due to the lower tuning frequency, i'd expect it to have more driver motion in the ~60-70hz region , but use a pair of quality subs and it should be alright. Thermally, I'd expect the W to outdo the ER or CA
post #7637 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

That's awesome - congrats to you!

Thanks. I think I'm going to upgrade to turbocharged SongTowers now. And the best part is the Salk shop is literally 1/2 hour away from my house!
post #7638 of 9127
My Soundscape 8 Review

I didn't want to do it twice so here is a link to our Zealand Forum

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/14075-Salk-Soundscape-8-Review?p=170036#post170036
post #7639 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post

Thanks. I think I'm going to upgrade to turbocharged SongTowers now. And the best part is the Salk shop is literally 1/2 hour away from my house!

Win win! smile.gif Good call on the upgraded SongTower's. That extra extension and resolution will be worth it IMO. I look forward to your impressions. What will you be using to drive them?
post #7640 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeesnz View Post

My Soundscape 8 Review
I didn't want to do it twice so here is a link to our Zealand Forum
http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/14075-Salk-Soundscape-8-Review?p=170036#post170036

Great review! It's nice to read a review that isn't long winded and filled with silly audiophile terms (like my reviews...DOH! biggrin.gif). I am very happy to hear you're enjoying your SS8's, and I look forward to learning how they sound in your new home. We expect pictures of them once in place! smile.gif
post #7641 of 9127
Hey all, I have a pair of Songtower RTS (LCY) in medium curly cherry for sale in Brooklyn, NY (upgraded to HT2-TLs). PM me if you are interested.
post #7642 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Win win! smile.gif Good call on the upgraded SongTower's. That extra extension and resolution will be worth it IMO. I look forward to your impressions. What will you be using to drive them?

That's really the question for me now. Since I upgraded to the supercharged SongTowers and SongCenter my budget is shot. For now I'll be using just my Yamaha RX-V1700 until I can rebuild my audio war chest. Then I will likely get something reasonably priced like an Emotiva XPA-5 or something lightly used but still in my price range (suggestion here would be very much appreciated)
My wife has been *tentatively* going along with this. Convincing her we need new speakers wasn't the hard, but upgrading with a much heftier price tag took some doing. It may be a while before I can start hauling in more gear.

On a side note, I was able to place my order with Jim yesterday. Jim actually had me over to his house to discuss the ordering and building process and go over my options.
Jim is extremely easy to deal with. No hard sell or up sell at all. I don't think it would have mattered to him if I went up into the supercharged versions or if I went with a more economical speaker all together. He seemed genuinely concerned that I get exactly what I wanted.
He also showed me what his new website is going to look like...very nice, cutting edge stuff. Impressive.
post #7643 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post

......................On a side note, I was able to place my order with Jim yesterday. Jim actually had me over to his house to discuss the ordering and building process and go over my options.
Jim is extremely easy to deal with. No hard sell or up sell at all. I don't think it would have mattered to him if I went up into the supercharged versions or if I went with a more economical speaker all together. He seemed genuinely concerned that I get exactly what I wanted.
He also showed me what his new website is going to look like...very nice, cutting edge stuff. Impressive.

My experience with Salk was the same. I've only read one complaint in a forum and it turned out to be bogus (someone had a chip on their shoulder I guess). Jim and crew should be proud of the company they've created. There aren't too may places where you get excellent products and reasonable prices along with outstanding customer service.smile.gif
post #7644 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post


On a side note, I was able to place my order with Jim yesterday. Jim actually had me over to his house to discuss the ordering and building process and go over my options.
Jim is extremely easy to deal with. No hard sell or up sell at all. I don't think it would have mattered to him if I went up into the supercharged versions or if I went with a more economical speaker all together. He seemed genuinely concerned that I get exactly what I wanted.

Jim's actively tried to downsell in our chats, because he honestly believes that what I wanted would be acheived totally with less expensive speakers.

He is pure awesome, that guy.
post #7645 of 9127
yup... repeating what i posted when i bought mine, my wife was all hot for ht-3's, and jim downsold me to ht2-tl's after we reviewed my room, setup and usage...

that goes a LONG way towards establishing "trust" in my mind, especially since i knew he wasn't downselling me simply because parts for the ht-3's weren't available (as has happened to others purchasing from less scrupulous sellers)...

although i'm in the (somewhat painful) process of swapping mine out for something different right now, it's certainly not due to the quality of the speaker and the sound it produces... btw, if anyone wants my ht1 on-walls and ht2c center, they are available... smile.gif
post #7646 of 9127
I'll echo the above customer service comments. I was initially considering the Soundscape monitors, and Jim suggested the SCST, which is much less expensive. They were
great at making a custom sized center channel to fit in a narrow space I have to work with.
post #7647 of 9127
Shot in the dark, but does anyone know - and can put me in touch with - the poster "BigRedMachine" from audiocircle? If so could you PM me? Thanks.


edited to fix iphone spelling errors
Edited by madhuski - 8/28/12 at 5:27pm
post #7648 of 9127
Sorry for the off topic post, but I know we have Audiocircle members here as well.

I've not been able to access Audiocircle the past couple days from my laptop at home or my computer at work. I just get a message that says something like "site migration" or "site migration to Tokyo".

Anyone know what's going on?
post #7649 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post

Shot in the dark, but does anyone know - and can put me in touch with - the poster "BigRedMachine" from audiocircle? If so could you PM me? Thanks.
edited to fix iphone spelling errors

His name on this forum is PAD.
post #7650 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Sorry for the off topic post, but I know we have Audiocircle members here as well.
I've not been able to access Audiocircle the past couple days from my laptop at home or my computer at work. I just get a message that says something like "site migration" or "site migration to Tokyo".
Anyone know what's going on?

We've been getting the same thing. They are probably doing site or server maintenance, but I am sure the website will be back up soon. Until then, welcome to the AVS Salk thread. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread