or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 300

post #8971 of 9127
^^^^
@ Nuance & Saturn94,

You've already seen most of these pics in my thread and gallery at AC from a couple of months ago, so this will be more of a rerun than some fresh porn, but since I never posted any pics here I figured I'd start things off. Hopefully others will post more pics to satisfy your addiction. biggrin.gif

The system consists of SongTowers and SongCenter with the RAAL ribbon tweeters; SongSurrounds I's with the Hiquphon tweeters.
The veneer is the standard Curly Walnut with a shot of dark walnut dye in the top coat.


The FEDEX truck arrives.



Front Tower.





Center Channel (anti-horizontal MTM purists need not respond). wink.gif




Surrounds.



The Front stage.


post #8972 of 9127
Not sure if I posted mine or not... But, here are my satin black Veracity ST's and dual JTR S1's. photo-3.JPG 548k .JPG file
post #8973 of 9127
I notice that you are using RAAL tweeters on you fronts and soft dome tweeters on your surrounds. How well do these integrate together in use? Do you notice a difference in sound quality between fronts and surrounds?

Chucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

^^^^
@ Nuance & Saturn94,

You've already seen most of these pics in my thread and gallery at AC from a couple of months ago, so this will be more of a rerun than some fresh porn, but since I never posted any pics here I figured I'd start things off. Hopefully others will post more pics to satisfy your addiction. biggrin.gif

The system consists of SongTowers and SongCenter with the RAAL ribbon tweeters; SongSurrounds I's with the Hiquphon tweeters.
The veneer is the standard Curly Walnut with a shot of dark walnut dye in the top coat.


The FEDEX truck arrives.



Front Tower.





Center Channel (anti-horizontal MTM purists need not respond). wink.gif




Surrounds.



The Front stage.


post #8974 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Very nice guys! Keep 'em coming. smile.gif
post #8975 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

I notice that you are using RAAL tweeters on you fronts and soft dome tweeters on your surrounds. How well do these integrate together in use? Do you notice a difference in sound quality between fronts and surrounds?

1. All the speakers (including the subs) integrate very well. As you probably know, for HT, timbre matching the front LCR is much more important than timbre matching the surrounds to the fronts. IMO, unless you're listening to a high percentage of surround music, it's hard to justify the additional cost of installing RAALs in the surrounds. But if you've got the money, I'm sure it would make a very impressive system.

2. Yes. As would be expected, the front towers are better performers.
post #8976 of 9127
Thank you for this information. I have just "discovered" these speakers and have begun to read all of the discussions on the various forums. So I have much to learn about this company and their various models.

But what impresses me the most so far is that all comments have been positive, and I have yet to see anything even slightly negative about these various models.

Chucka
post #8977 of 9127
Chucka-

I recommend you try to get your ears on a pair. You can email Jim and he will find you someone close by for an audition. I did buy my speakers sight unseen, solely from all the reviews, and all the reviews are spot-on. My Veracity ST's are something to get your ears on. They are not going anywhere, they are the focal point in my 2-channel/HT, next to my JTR subs. smile.gif

Mike
post #8978 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

Chucka-

I recommend you try to get your ears on a pair. You can email Jim and he will find you someone close by for an audition. I did buy my speakers sight unseen, solely from all the reviews, and all the reviews are spot-on. My Veracity ST's are something to get your ears on. They are not going anywhere, they are the focal point in my 2-channel/HT, next to my JTR subs. smile.gif

Mike


Thanks Mike. I do plan on communicating with Jim directly regarding a number of questions I have including trying to find someone who would let me listen to their speakers (in the Connecticut area). I think the Veracity ST would probably be my best choice for L-R but I am unsure about Center and surrounds in a probable 5.0 system. I am starting to feel good about these speakers, but I do want to give them a listen before I make a final decision. But while I am starting my research, I have to bit of time as I am first trying to find a new position within the audio industry before I make any new purchase. (I have been actively involved in the pro audio industry since 1969). Thanks for your reply.

Chucka
post #8979 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

Thanks Mike. I do plan on communicating with Jim directly regarding a number of questions I have including trying to find someone who would let me listen to their speakers (in the Connecticut area). I think the Veracity ST would probably be my best choice for L-R but I am unsure about Center and surrounds in a probable 5.0 system. I am starting to feel good about these speakers, but I do want to give them a listen before I make a final decision. But while I am starting my research, I have to bit of time as I am first trying to find a new position within the audio industry before I make any new purchase. (I have been actively involved in the pro audio industry since 1969). Thanks for your reply.

Chucka

I chose the Supercharged Song Center to go with my Veracity STs, and they match very well. I'm stuck with my in-ceiling surrounds, but for movies and TV, they aren't too bad.

post #8980 of 9127
Just picked up my STs today ... curly cherry w/a black dye topcoat. I've heard everyone compliment on the finish Jim pulls off on his speakers, but I'm here to tell you none of the pictures (including mine) do them justice. I don't have furniture this nice! As for the sound, absolutely fantastic. The image projection and transparent mids rival the best speakers I've heard in my 6-month search (even at a much higher price-point) and I didn't even go RAAL. I'm pretty impressed, especially since I'm not dialed in yet (i.e. Audyssey XT32). This finish is difficult to photograph, but the below images will give you a taste of Jim's craftsmanship.

Jim does a great job of packing these speakers with many custom/personal touches...he even provides a microfiber towel for cleaning and of course, his demo CD and "birth certificate"


This image is probably the closest representation of what the finish actually looks like in person


This photo makes the black edges appear to contrast sharply with the cherry veneer...when in actuality it is more of a gradual transition




Jim - Thanks for your patience with me throughout this process. You're a real gentleman who is obviously very proud of your products...and your customer service is first rate. You have another very satisfied customer who will undoubtedly be back for more.
post #8981 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post

I chose the Supercharged Song Center to go with my Veracity STs, and they match very well. I'm stuck with my in-ceiling surrounds, but for movies and TV, they aren't too bad.


Very Nice and Congratulations!

I am curious if you had considered the Veracity Center speaker vs the Supercharged Song Center? Were you able to get the same woofer as your ST's (Seas Excel W16) installed in the Song Centers?

I see you are using the Emotiva XPA-5. I am considering this same amplifier. How is the match?

Chucka
Edited by Chucka - 8/28/13 at 6:00pm
post #8982 of 9127
It is with great sadness to post that my close friend Bruce (member voigtskins) passed away suddenly on Monday. Bruce was passionate about A/V gear, movies, music and the New England Patriots. Bruce was especially passionate about his new Salk Veracity STs that he received a few months ago. Bruce was so happy with his new speakers and raved about how he enjoyed dealing with Jim Salk. But his greatest passion was his lovely wife Linda and their three sons. I spent some time with Bruce at his house last Friday talking about life and listening to music. I will miss Bruce very much as he was a very good friend and all around great guy. Rock on Brother, I know you are up above listening to Avalon in 5.1 with five SS8s (his dream speakers) cranked!!!!

Bill
post #8983 of 9127
So sorry to hear that.
post #8984 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

Very Nice and Congratulations!

I am curious if you had considered the Veracity Center speaker vs the Supercharged Song Center? Were you able to get the same woofer as your ST's (Seas Excel W16) installed in the Song Centers?

I see you are using the Emotiva XPA-5. I am considering this same amplifier. How is the match?

Chucka

I did not consider anything else for a center...my original order was for SCST as well, but when I talked to Jim, he let me know that a couple of folks had upgraded to the W16 (before they actually got the name Veracity ST). I decided to go that route, but Jim said he didn't think upgrading the center was necessary, and I was already WAY over budget. Timbre-wise, I can't tell a difference between them when watching TV/movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

It is with great sadness to post that my close friend Bruce (member voigtskins) passed away suddenly on Monday. Bruce was passionate about A/V gear, movies, music and the New England Patriots. Bruce was especially passionate about his new Salk Veracity STs that he received a few months ago. Bruce was so happy with his new speakers and raved about how he enjoyed dealing with Jim Salk. But his greatest passion was his lovely wife Linda and their three sons. I spent some time with Bruce at his house last Friday talking about life and listening to music. I will miss Bruce very much as he was a very good friend and all around great guy. Rock on Brother, I know you are up above listening to Avalon in 5.1 with five SS8s (his dream speakers) cranked!!!!

Bill

I could tell he was passionate about his Veracity STs from the few comments he made to me when I was waiting for mine to be delivered.

Rest in peace, Bruce.
post #8985 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

It is with great sadness to post that my close friend Bruce (member voigtskins) passed away suddenly on Monday. Bruce was passionate about A/V gear, movies, music and the New England Patriots. Bruce was especially passionate about his new Salk Veracity STs that he received a few months ago. Bruce was so happy with his new speakers and raved about how he enjoyed dealing with Jim Salk. But his greatest passion was his lovely wife Linda and their three sons. I spent some time with Bruce at his house last Friday talking about life and listening to music. I will miss Bruce very much as he was a very good friend and all around great guy. Rock on Brother, I know you are up above listening to Avalon in 5.1 with five SS8s (his dream speakers) cranked!!!!

Bill

best wishes from AVS
post #8986 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post

I did not consider anything else for a center...my original order was for SCST as well, but when I talked to Jim, he let me know that a couple of folks had upgraded to the W16 (before they actually got the name Veracity ST). I decided to go that route, but Jim said he didn't think upgrading the center was necessary, and I was already WAY over budget. Timbre-wise, I can't tell a difference between them when watching TV/movies.



Thanks, This is exactly the information I was looking for. How do you like your Emotiva amplifier with this setup? Would you recommend it?

Chucka
post #8987 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post



Thanks, This is exactly the information I was looking for. How do you like your Emotiva amplifier with this setup? Would you recommend it?

Chucka

Being that this is the only external amplifier I have ever owned, I don't have anything to compare it to with my speakers, in my room. I like the way it sounds, and for the price, I'd imagine it's hard to beat (which is why I bought it a few years ago).

I have not had any negative issues with it, and have had it for just over 4 years.
post #8988 of 9127
Thanks everyone for the kind words and well wishes. It is much appreciated!

Bill
post #8989 of 9127
The Salk (and Van Alstine) appearance at CAS 2013 received some complimentary words and pics at Part-Time Audiophile.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/08/29/cas-2013-salk-signature-sound/
post #8990 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Thanks everyone for the kind words and well wishes. It is much appreciated!

Bill

Deepest sympathies to you, all his friends and his family, Bill.
post #8991 of 9127
mal's CAS show report on Part Time Audiophile has been posted.

Here's a link...

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/08/29/cas-2013-salk-signature-sound/

- Jim
post #8992 of 9127
Continuing the truck delivery picture theme.


The delivery was for my SC Center and Rhythmik sub. I had purchased the SC Towers that were showcased in Chicago a few months ago. I was only going to use the towers, but of course, we all know the 'what if' thoughts that keep us coming back for more.



Using Wyred4Sound mAmps to power the fronts, Oppo 103 and Denon x4000.



This sub is huge!

Many thanks to Jim for the incredible service. I am sure I will be putting an order in for surrounds in 6 months...maybe even a second sub. (To balance the room of course!)
post #8993 of 9127
^^^ Nice system. Very sleek and modern. IMO, your center would be better if it seats on top of your AV cabinet.
post #8994 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionuts View Post

^^^ Nice system. Very sleek and modern. IMO, your center would be better if it seats on top of your AV cabinet.

Thank you!
Agree about center speaker placement.
Next upgrade will be a tv, mounted on the wall. Center speaker will then move up.
post #8995 of 9127
Anyone hear the Silks against the ST?

Jim whats your opinion against the two? Do the Silks leave anything behind compared to the towers sc st or st with raal tweeters?
post #8996 of 9127
IMO, although i have never heard the silks and i think not many owns it, i believe they are more suitable to those whos looking for good sound quality in a small package. Also, the relative low sensitivity will require a lot of power to be comparable in terms of loundness of the SCst and the ST.
At that price, the SCST is good alternative.
post #8997 of 9127
I'm not a fan of white speakers, but you make them look GREAT!! That is one clean looking system that goes perfect together. Very nice...
post #8998 of 9127
I have a question for those actually using a Supercharged Song Center or Veracity Center. In real world use how do you find the dispersion and off axis response of these speakers. I have not used this type of speaker in the past (always used Tannoy point source speakers) but I have read and been told that they should be avoided, but I also see that most manufacturers are using this configuration. I read about off axis frequencies cancelation because of the placement of the 2 horizontal speakers. In real world use, how bad is this issue?
post #8999 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

I'm not a fan of white speakers, but you make them look GREAT!! That is one clean looking system that goes perfect together. Very nice...

Thank you. While it may seem odd to paint the speakers white, it still maintains the quality and visuals of a Salk product. I used to have black tower speakers, and it took over the room. White speakers give a modern touch and WAF that I wanted.
post #9000 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by guenwyv View Post

Thank you. While it may seem odd to paint the speakers white, it still maintains the quality and visuals of a Salk product. I used to have black tower speakers, and it took over the room. White speakers give a modern touch and WAF that I wanted.

White looks absolutely beautiful in the right room smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread