or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread - Page 301

post #9001 of 9127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by guenwyv View Post

Thank you. While it may seem odd to paint the speakers white, it still maintains the quality and visuals of a Salk product. I used to have black tower speakers, and it took over the room. White speakers give a modern touch and WAF that I wanted.
They look great! Congrats.
post #9002 of 9127
3 weeks 4 days is way too long to go without a post in this thread.

So, as a still happy owner after WAY longer than that... consider this a bump. =)
post #9003 of 9127
Finally decided on a veneer. The wait being for my veracity st's in Mexican ziricote. Not sure how long the build takes. Hoping for about a month #cantwait
post #9004 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

3 weeks 4 days is way too long to go without a post in this thread.

So, as a still happy owner after WAY longer than that... consider this a bump. =)

We definitely needed the thread bump.

Lebreeze - That will be an awesome looking speaker.
post #9005 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebreeze View Post

Finally decided on a veneer. The wait being for my veracity st's in Mexican ziricote. Not sure how long the build takes. Hoping for about a month #cantwait

It's tough making a decision with all the beautiful veneer choices. I had mine done in satin black lacquer, and it took almost 3 months. However, there was a hold up on the W16 drivers at the time.
post #9006 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

It's tough making a decision with all the beautiful veneer choices. I had mine done in satin black lacquer, and it took almost 3 months. However, there was a hold up on the W16 drivers at the time.

Those were some long months, weren't they? Hahaha.

It was also a very busy time of year, from what I understand, because it was income tax refund time.

I'm still loving mine, and it was definitely worth the wait!
post #9007 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post

Those were some long months, weren't they? Hahaha.

It was also a very busy time of year, from what I understand, because it was income tax refund time.

I'm still loving mine, and it was definitely worth the wait!

Yeah, no kidding!! The longest months of my life!! wink.gif I wish I received a tax refund... I actually had to pay out this year. frown.gif

Yes, definitely loving them and it was worth the wait for sure!

I was eye-balling Salk speakers for years and all the different veneers.... I got tired of trying to decide and went universal black. To me they are beautiful... Smooth and sexy! smile.gif
Edited by Cvetan1 - 9/26/13 at 7:27am
post #9008 of 9127
post #9009 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by guenwyv View Post

Continuing the truck delivery picture theme ...

Those white Salk's look absolutely beautiful ! I prefer the speaker grill cloth the length of the tower but bet they sound fantastic as well.
post #9010 of 9127
We're off to Rocky Mountain Audiofest today. For those of you who will be attending, we will be in Suite 1107 along with Audio by Van Alstine.

For every show, we like to do a little something unusual. I ran across some very rare (and expensive) white ebony recently. So we decided we would do a pair of our new Veracity ST's using it. They are certainly one-of-a-kind.

Here are some pictures...

v-st-whiteebony.jpg

Here is a close up...

v-st-whiteebony-cu.jpg

We will also be bringing a pair of rose/red SongTowers, Silk monitors, the experimental Exotica design and our SoundScape 8's. Should be a little something for everyone.

Got to get packing so we can get on the road this afternoon.

See you in Denver!

- Jim
post #9011 of 9127
I'm helping a friend break down and ship their Veracity STs this morning. I can't recall the socket size I used to apply the lag bolts on the plinths of my STs. Anyone recall what size socket is needed? I have my STs positioned just right and would prefer not to move them to check. Thanks smile.gif!

Bill
post #9012 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

We're off to Rocky Mountain Audiofest today. For those of you who will be attending, we will be in Suite 1107 along with Audio by Van Alstine.

We will also be bringing a pair of rose/red SongTowers, Silk monitors, the experimental Exotica design and our SoundScape 8's. Should be a little something for everyone.

- Jim

Exoticas?? As in Alon hybrid Exoticas? Whatcha have there, Jim? Did I miss something on your website?
Edited by Mudslide - 10/10/13 at 4:21pm
post #9013 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by af-flyboy View Post

Just picked up my STs today ... curly cherry w/a black dye topcoat. I've heard everyone compliment on the finish Jim pulls off on his speakers, but I'm here to tell you none of the pictures (including mine) do them justice. I don't have furniture this nice! As for the sound, absolutely fantastic. The image projection and transparent mids rival the best speakers I've heard in my 6-month search (even at a much higher price-point) and I didn't even go RAAL. I'm pretty impressed, especially since I'm not dialed in yet (i.e. Audyssey XT32). This finish is difficult to photograph, but the below images will give you a taste of Jim's craftsmanship.

Excellent looking speakers. I have a pair of SCSTs, an SCSC, 4 SongBirds and a Salk/Rythmik sub finished the same way and, yeah, it's very difficult to photograph them. Depending on the light level they can look anywhere between gloss black and a dark cherry color. I agree that your photograph of "closest representation" is actually very accurate on what they usually look like at normal light levels.
post #9014 of 9127
I got to hear some Salks yesterday and today for the first time. I can see what all the hype is about. They sounded excellent. The SS8's in the Pepperwood burl were the best looking speakers I've seen. You really have to see them in person to appreciate it as the pictures don't do them justice. The ST's that were there in the curly cherry were gorgeous too.

Jim and Mary were incredibly nice as well and it was great meeting them. Very much enjoyed their room.
post #9015 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Exoticas?? As in Alon hybrid Exoticas? Whatcha have there, Jim? Did I miss something on your website?

Non Non Alon. These are 2-way book shelves that use the Uber Expensivo Seas Exotic drivers--An $800 woofer and $650 tweet. Give or take a little change. They're high-sensitivity drivers that Jim wanted to take on a test drive. The usual trade off is deep bass response, which I don't think goes much below 50 Hz on these puppies. But they are very smooth and don't take a lot of watts to play very loud. If you have to ask about the price..........
Edited by Dennis Murphy - 10/13/13 at 9:16am
post #9016 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Non Non Alon. These are 2-way book shelves that use the Uber Expensivo Seas Exotic drivers--An $800 woofer and $650 tweet. Give or take a little change. They're high-sensitivity drivers that Jim wanted to take on a test drive. The usual trade off is deep bass response, which I don't think goes much below 50 Hz on these puppies. But they are very smooth and don't take a lot of watts to play very loud. If you have to ask about the price..........

I was at RMAF and finally met Jim (and Mary and Frank V.A.) and had a chance to listen to the Exoticas... and was very glad I did.

Disclaimer: Being new to audiophilia (I own the little WOW1s) and this being my first audio show I was "down the rabbit hole" exploring new technologies and learning more how to listen and what I like and don't like. I poked into many rooms but seriously listened to maybe 20 ("affordable") rooms and let my intuition and ears guide me. I generally avoided outright insanely sized/priced speakers except to get a taste of the uber-expensive (like the $200k Wilson Alexandria XLF). The two omni-directional technologies there really blew my mind and almost ruined traditional box speakers for me. There were a few affordable dynamic speakers nevertheless that spoke to me, but on Sunday Frank Van Alstine fired up the Exoticas with his electronics sourced by a Salk Server.

The music was classical (which is only recently a growing interest), and it took me a while to recalibrate what I was hearing. The multi-dimensionality, purity, sweetness of the music (violins, strings) was palpable and to my (mostly neophyte) ears, unique from a pair of traditional boxes. It was one of the few "wow" experiences I had at RMAF with relatively affordable dynamic speakers: these seemed to be approaching omnidirectionals in terms of spatial representation and dynamic subtlety. I didn't get a chance to hear them with more fully dynamic music, jazz, or rock, and they did have a somewhat limited bass extension, but they were impressive for the short time I was able to listen to them.

I really wish I had heard them sooner (and multiple times) and hope to hear them again. Great job Jim and Dennis (and Frank who was talking them up big time)!
Edited by yyz67 - 10/15/13 at 3:10pm
post #9017 of 9127
I am considering Salk speakers based solely on things I have read. My price range is up to $6k or so for the 3 front speakers. I am trying to find an opportunity to audition them (I am in NJ) but that is a different matter. I have a Denon 4311ci but am considering a power amp and using the Denon in pre amp mode for 2ch playback. Also, does bi-wiring help these speakers? Am looking at the HT2-TL based solely on reviews but am willing to hear any thoughts on other speakers and setups..thanks
post #9018 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post

I am considering Salk speakers based solely on things I have read. My price range is up to $6k or so for the 3 front speakers. I am trying to find an opportunity to audition them (I am in NJ) but that is a different matter. I have a Denon 4311ci but am considering a power amp and using the Denon in pre amp mode for 2ch playback. Also, does bi-wiring help these speakers? Am looking at the HT2-TL based solely on reviews but am willing to hear any thoughts on other speakers and setups..thanks

I'll limit my remarks to bi-wiring. If using twice as much wire as necessary appeals to you, then by all means bi-wire. If you just want to hear the speakers as they were intended to sound, then a single run of wire will do nicely.
post #9019 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I'll limit my remarks to bi-wiring. If using twice as much wire as necessary appeals to you, then by all means bi-wire. If you just want to hear the speakers as they were intended to sound, then a single run of wire will do nicely.

Dennis, not to take this too far afield, can I take it from this that in your experience speaker wire (beyond a suitable gauge) doesn't make a noticeable/big difference in tone, dynamics etc? I'm curious about your view with all your experience.
post #9020 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz67 View Post

Dennis, not to take this too far afield, can I take it from this that in your experience speaker wire (beyond a suitable gauge) doesn't make a noticeable/big difference in tone, dynamics etc? I'm curious about your view with all your experience.

Perhaps I'm just not genetically equipped to hear differences in wires and interconnects. For me, it's all about the quality of the drivers and the crossover. I certainly can't prove there isn't a difference, but the burden of proof isn't really on me. Advertisers are supposed to be
able to substantiate their claims (I enforced FTC advertising laws for over 30 years), and I just haven't seen any reliable and competent scientific evidence to support the claims that are made for wires and interconnects.
post #9021 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I just haven't seen any reliable and competent scientific evidence to support the claims that are made for wires and interconnects.
That would be because there isn't any. rolleyes.gif
post #9022 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That would be because there isn't any. rolleyes.gif

It's funny that the one time we get a free lunch in audio, audiophiles (marketing department) have to make up a problem to solve. tongue.gif
Edited by Monkish54 - 10/18/13 at 2:54pm
post #9023 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I just haven't seen any reliable and competent scientific evidence to support the claims that are made for wires and interconnects.

Found a simple/mathematical analysis of resistance, inductance, and capacitance (per wire length) on frequency response. For the author there was a perceptible subjective effect (although it didn't appear to be a double blind test) which he mostly attributes to wire thickness (decreased resistance).

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_spkr_cable.pdf

As I said, I don't want to hijack the thread but thought I'd share this. As the author states "Who am I to dispute the feelings of audiophiles who, evaluating any cable in the context of program source, amplifier, speaker, and listening room, decide they can hear the difference?"

It's all for fun anyway...
post #9024 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz67 View Post

Found a simple/mathematical analysis of resistance, inductance, and capacitance (per wire length) on frequency response. For the author there was a perceptible subjective effect (although it didn't appear to be a double blind test) which he mostly attributes to wire thickness (decreased resistance).

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_spkr_cable.pdf

As I said, I don't want to hijack the thread but thought I'd share this. As the author states "Who am I to dispute the feelings of audiophiles who, evaluating any cable in the context of program source, amplifier, speaker, and listening room, decide they can hear the difference?"

It's all for fun anyway...


Thanks. That article is an oldy but I guess a goody. It's hard to draw any definite conclusions from all of the analysis. I didn't see anything to suggest that 14 Ga wire with clean terminations wouldn't do as well as the more expensive wire tested. In some cases, the
upscale wires seemed to do slightly better than 24 Ga or perhaps 18 Ga.
post #9025 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Thanks. That article is an oldy but I guess a goody. It's hard to draw any definite conclusions from all of the analysis. I didn't see anything to suggest that 14 Ga wire with clean terminations wouldn't do as well as the more expensive wire tested. In some cases, the
upscale wires seemed to do slightly better than 24 Ga or perhaps 18 Ga.
No disrespect to Nellie, but that hardly would qualify as hard driving investigative journalism. This hits the nail on the head: http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html
post #9026 of 9127
So just because that particular reviewer claims to hear a difference, holds no weight what so ever, especially considering that he did not do a double blind placebo controlled study, and is going off his already biased "audio" perceptions.
post #9027 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

So just because that particular reviewer claims to hear a difference, holds no weight what so ever, especially considering that he did not do a double blind placebo controlled study, and is going off his already biased "audio" perceptions.
Claims to see bigfoot, claims to talk with god, whatever.

The topic here is Salk Speakers. Please got start or participate in a thread on cables. I think there's a whole forum around here somewhere.
post #9028 of 9127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

So just because that particular reviewer claims to hear a difference, holds no weight what so ever, especially considering that he did not do a double blind placebo controlled study, and is going off his already biased "audio" perceptions.
Well, that particular reviewer is Nelson Pass and as such should give one a moment of pause before dismissing the paper out of hand.

IMO, perhaps the biggest shortcoming of the paper was the lack of specificity when it came to tabulating amplifier/cable/speaker combinations WRT subjective listening impressions. But the paper must be looked at in its historical context - published in 1980 with work that was done in the late 70's.

So, what kind of equipment was available back then? For starters, some of the amplifiers had poor phase margins. Give them a capacitive load, which could result from the speaker being driven as well as the cable being used (look at the data for Polk's cable) and the amp could go into oscillation. If its severe enough it'll shut the amp down. Not too long ago, Kal Rubinson in Stereophile found that a multichannel Adcom amp did just that when hooked up to some Alpha Goertz wire which has vanishingly low inductance that comes at the cost of very substantial capacitance. Some may remember that When Naim first introduced their amps they had a proprietary speaker wire connector. That was because some of the cables that were being introduced back then would cause the amp to misbehave. Other old timers may recall Phase Linear's nickname - Flame Linear. Oscillation is never a good thing and doesn't always manifest itself by shutting the amp down. One can most definitely get adverse audible results.

Hate Monster all you want but the success they enjoyed was not lost on the marketplace. Everyone wanted a piece of the financial action and we saw the birth of all kinds of cable lines. Polk was one of those but they didn't stay long in the marketplace because people who bought it found that it trashed their amps. I'm told that Polk was hit by sundry lawsuits and that it affected their speaker sales.

One of the speakers that Pass tested was the Dayton Wright, an electrostatic. That speaker may hold one of the all time records for being exceedingly difficult to drive. It had vanishingly low impedances and very unfavorable phase angles. Many said it was criminal to sell that speaker without including an amplifier that could handle its whacky electrical characteristics.

So, when one looks back 30+ years, what Nelson Pass found was not so surprising and even without a DBT his findings don't strike me as a result of some placebo effect or expectation bias. There was a lot of fvcked up stuff back then,
post #9029 of 9127
Excellent post, but having helped to get this started, I'll endorse Jerry's request to let this topic hang. I think most viewers of the Salk forum will agree that speakers are more important than cables, and certainly more interesting. And Salk speakers also look a lot better than most cables.
post #9030 of 9127
OK to get back on topic, I recently setup my new SS8s, SSC8, and Rythmik subs. They were done in burled pepperweood and spalted bees wing makore respectively. Since the audiocircle forum is down, I'll post the pics here. I didnt want the same veneer on all my speakers so I asked Jim for suggestions for the subs this is what we came up with. This is my initial setup, things are already sounding great. I'm very happy with the way the veneers came out. WAF through the roof. Apologies in advance for the iphone pics but these are the only ones I have right now. Jim's pictures of the SS8s are in his post on audiocircle.



Overview





The very imposing SSC8






Top view of the center pattern





Left sub with SBWM. This veneer has awesome layering to it. (I know there's a better word for it that Jim used but I can't think of it). It looks almost 3D or holographic. In the pics with some sunlight you can see it. Again, pictures can't do Salks justice (especially iphone pics)



side view of the setup




Right Rythmik



Left sub front view




Right sub top view



Left sub top view




Right SS8 and sub



Left SS8 and sub

Now back to listening.
-Eric
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread