I just got off the phone from ordering a factory remote from the Funai phone-in cust svc center. Information for all:
1. Today, Oct. 29, 2010, price was still $17.99.
2. The 2 people I talked to didn't want the remote #(NB820UD)- they wanted the MAGNAVOX unit model # *And* Serial #.
3. They claim *NO* order can be processed without the serial number, something about recent changes to the system. Even though all 2160/513 models use the same remote, you still gotta have the SN. As I finally found out, it's on a sticker on the *Bottom* of the unit!
Lesson- if you EVER call the Funai center for ANYTHING concerning your 2080/2160(A)/513/probably anything else they make/sell, be sure to have your model and serial #'s handy. If you don't have yours recorded somewhere, try to do it soon- even if you have to pull your video setup partway apart to do it. Lots easier to do it when you don't have to hold the telephone with one hand.
I'm gonna also investigate these programmable remotes further. I saw a Radio Shack unit w/small lcd screen listed somewhere, if not on wajo's list, that was listed on the RS website as in-store-only- for $4.99!
1. The Radio Shack wasn't on Wajos list, stumbled across that somewhere else & it may very well not work our machines. If I should happen into a RS store & stumble cross one for $5, will investigate further.
2. One For All has a newer backlit model, the OARN08G, that's not on wajo's list yet, but it claims to work DVRs, offers digital subchannel access, macros, lotsa bells & whistles and looks promising. $19.xx on Amazon as of tonight.
3. On my email order rct from Funai, the remote control number(NB820UD) is listed as a *Part Number*. Maybe it's now considered a part for a 2160/A/513units, thus requiring SN for the computerized ordering system?
4. So far I havent seen any univ remotes that show lettering on the number keys. Looks like labeling edited recordings may require a factory remote, or more programming than I want to think about.
Thoughts- after ordering from Funai today, I plan to get a universal to go along with the new factory remote. The new factory remote will give me all working keys to program with if needed, & I can save the Funai units for labeling & editing, as someone posted on the remote list page.