or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 541

post #16201 of 25409
Thanks for all the updates. I suppose I should have used the term "TV Listings" instead of "TV Guide.

If I read you all correctly, apparently the TV Listings are there, so you might just click on one to, say, record something automatically at 2:30AM.

But if I also read you correctly, there is no feature there that will let you select a show just one time and then record it on a weekly basis?

Sorry to sound so naive. I'm replacing a Panasonic DVD/VHS/HDD that is slowly dying on me... I can't read or write anything to the DVD.

Did I get that right? Thanks a lot for all your help,

Bob
post #16202 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1edm View Post

Thanks for all the updates. I suppose I should have used the term "TV Listings" instead of "TV Guide.

If I read you all correctly, apparently the TV Listings are there, so you might just click on one to, say, record something automatically at 2:30AM.

But if I also read you correctly, there is no feature there that will let you select a show just one time and then record it on a weekly basis?

Sorry to sound so naive. I'm replacing a Panasonic DVD/VHS/HDD that is slowly dying on me... I can't read or write anything to the DVD.

Did I get that right? Thanks a lot for all your help,

Bob

There is no guide or TV listings whatsoever. You can only display the title name and information about the program you are currently watching. You set recordings manually by start & end time and channel number like VCRs. You can set those recordings for a single date or to repeat Mon-Fri or any single day of the week.
post #16203 of 25409
Thread Starter 
Unattended recording is all done via a timer program menu, as described here.
post #16204 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

An integrated HDTV-type tuner has been in the Wish List since its creation, but it doesn't matter anyway since only a miracle will get us any new HDD/DVD or HDD/BRD recorders in the future.

can you fill us in? is that because they can't make a profit in North American market? Guess I should save one my two 2160's instead of using both.
post #16205 of 25409
Thanks, Wajo,

That's not as convenient as the one that I have, but it'll do. Thanks....

What should I look out for on this unit? Any bad habits?

Bob
post #16206 of 25409
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

can you fill us in? is that because they can't make a profit in North American market? Guess I should save one my two 2160's instead of using both.

They're on to bigger and better things, like BRD, for the rest of the world, where sales are increasing.
post #16207 of 25409
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1edm View Post

Thanks, Wajo,

That's not as convenient as the one that I have, but it'll do. Thanks....

What should I look out for on this unit? Any bad habits?

One bad habit of ~1/10 of 1% of all units sold is tendency to "die" for no apparent reason, with an easy fix being a Soft Reset.

Funai has been working on a fix for some time, but not going well up to this point.
post #16208 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1edm View Post

Thanks, Wajo,

That's not as convenient as the one that I have, but it'll do. Thanks....

What should I look out for on this unit? Any bad habits?

Bob

Just remember it's not a TiVo, it is just a simple "no fees" SD recorder machine.

BTW, there are some chinese "no fees" full HD recorders, but they are banned/illegal for the US market (?), so those are only available in the graymarket, and aren't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

One bad habit of ~1/10 of 1% of all units sold is tendency to "die" for no apparent reason, with an easy fix being a Soft Reset.

In fact I'm wondering if that issue doesn't come from the cable companies/OTA broadcasters and the Auto Clock/Set Up signal. There's no such problem when the unit is working only with inputs.
post #16209 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1edm View Post

Hi,
I'm new to the forum here, and with over 500 pages of notes, I thought I'd rather ask this question straight up...

What is the general concensus of the Magnavox 515?

Does it have some kind of 'TV Guide' that I can use to easily record programs on a one-time or on a regular basis?

Can I watch one show (off the hard drive) while it is recording to another?

Are there other inputs I can use to attach, say, a VHS player?

Has anything better come on to the market?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, it would be easier to give answers if you would include facts like cable or OTA or satellite or FiOS, and what are you trying to do? I use mine for 100% time shifting (usually by the season). What model Panny & TV are you using? There is nothing like TVGOS or the guides with cable/Tivo on the 515H. Better things come to market every day. What's your budget?

If something better comes to market your will hear it discussed here by someone. So far nothing has come close to the cost/benefit ratio of the 515H.

To be friendly, add your location with the UserCP tab up top.
post #16210 of 25409
Good afternoon,

I have two H2160MW9 A DVRs, and several 320GB and 640GB SATA hard drives that I am no longer using.

1. Has anyone successfully replaced the 160GB OEM drive with a 640GB drive?
2. Should the replacement drive be formatted as NTFS or FAT?

Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron Hills
RonHills@TheRaceReport.TV
post #16211 of 25409
Thread Starter 
Sam Ontario, #10 here, replaced his OEM drive with a 640GB drive, no formatting needed *since Mag will initialize it. You'll get 500GB usable capacity, the FW limit.

*IF they're used HDDs and it appears they need pre-formatting after trying SKIP 079 first as is, format FAT32. Others who've used older drives will prob. help with their experience here?
post #16212 of 25409
Hello All, hope you're enjoying the start of fall (or winter in the north )

Here's an FYI about the Credit Card policy of Supermediastore.com. I have dealt w/ them for years but discovered that if you create an "account" with them they keep your Credit Card information (full number and 3 auth key) on their server 24/7/365.

This is not acceptable to me for two reasons: (1) I don't trust their security and (2) I believe I should be able to "opt in" to them keeping the card information, not have it done by default.

So I sent them an email (before placing my next order), explaining my concern and saying that regardless of how secure they think they are it's not acceptable to me. Three things resulted:

1) No answer to the email. Sent it two times a couple of months apart.

2) After the 2nd email, I called the support desk (or whatever) and got no satisfaction there.
2a) associate wouldn't give me a name with which to address her, just charged on.
2b) got a lecture about how secure they are
2c) After requesting a work around (I said it would be acceptable for them to delete the CC info from my account, I'd re-enter it each time), the answer was that this is the way their "system" works and that Pay Pal was an option.
2d) I asked that they delete my account, which they said they would. Then they suggested that I could create a new account for each order and call them to request it be deleted each time.

3) I went to another webtailer.

So again this is an FYI. I encountered "keeping the CC info" at both Symantec, who did have a "opt out" uncheck box (not acceptable to me) and did remove my CC info from my account, and at Amazon, who told me I could remove the CC info myself after the order on their website. Amazon does not have an "opt" checkbox one way or another and one cannot order as a guest (without an account) as far as I know.

Thanks for your patience here. Don't mean to start a off-topic topic but I thought I had to append this.

Mike
post #16213 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hardy View Post

... After requesting a work around (I said it would be acceptable for them to delete the CC info from my account, I'd re-enter it each time), the answer was that this is the way their "system" works and that Pay Pal was an option...

I use PayPal for every purchase at SMS and most other internet sellers. That way my information is never shared with third parties.
post #16214 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hardy View Post

Here's an FYI about the Credit Card policy of Supermediastore.com. I have dealt w/ them for years but discovered that if you create an "account" with them they keep your Credit Card information (full number and 3 auth key) on their server 24/7/365.

You should never be typing your real credit card number into any on-line site, regardless of their policy. Many credit card issuers offer an alias service to their customers. On my Visa account website I have access to a "Shopsafe" application. It allows me to create an alias Visa number where I define the max amount it is good for and the expiration date. In addition, the alias account # is only good for a single Etailer -- the first one who charges to it. So it doesn't matter if they store it because once it has been used for the intended purchase it is worthless and expires in less than 2 months.

Check to see if your card issuer offers a similar alias service. If not call them and ask why not, then find a new card issuer who does and use their card for on-line purchases.

Never give out your real CC # over the Internet.
post #16215 of 25409
Eh. I use my card countless times and I don't worry a bit. Card issuer covers you if something goes south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You should never be typing your real credit card number into any on-line site, regardless of their policy. Many credit card issuers offer an alias service to their customers. On my Visa account website I have access to a "Shopsafe" application. It allows me to create an alias Visa number where I define the max amount it is good for and the expiration date. In addition, the alias account # is only good for a single Etailer -- the first one who charges to it. So it doesn't matter if they store it because once it has been used for the intended purchase it is worthless and expires in less than 2 months.

Check to see if your card issuer offers a similar alias service. If not call them and ask why not, then find a new card issuer who does and use their card for on-line purchases.

Never give out your real CC # over the Internet.
post #16216 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hardy View Post

and at Amazon, who told me I could remove the CC info myself after the order on their website. Amazon does not have an "opt" checkbox one way or another and one cannot order as a guest (without an account) as far as I know.

It's easy to remove your CC info after placing a order at Amazon. All you have to do AFTER placing the order, is go and click on the "your account" option at the upper right side of the page. That will bring up a menu with a LOT of different options, just pick the "manage payment options" in the "payment method" section of the various payment menu options. Doing that will bring up a page where you can then delete the CC info that you used for the purchase.
post #16217 of 25409
I prefer online retailers not keeping my credit card info but I don't lose any sleep over it. What makes me nervous is paying for a meal at a restaurant and watching my credit card walk away with the check. There is nothing stopping them from writing down my card number and security code.
I've been using my credit card for nearly all of my purchases for several years and I haven't had a single fraudulent charge (yet). I use it at Amazon. I use it at Monoprice. I use it at SMS. I don't use it at restaurants.
post #16218 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You should never be typing your real credit card number into any on-line site, regardless of their policy. Many credit card issuers offer an alias service to their customers.

If they don't offer an alias service, pre-paid Visa gift cards are easy to get.
post #16219 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Card issuer covers you if something goes south.

An ounce of prevention . . .

It all depends on what your personal risk tolerance is and what you have to lose. Some time ago I had a credit card compromised. Within a very short time a slew of charges were made against it. It took a lot of my time and many calendar days to sort through the mess with the CC issuer, not to mention the card was immediately canceled and not reissued until the billing questions were resolved. This also caused me to miss some monthly bill payments that were normally automatically charged to the card.

So for me personally, I have great incentive to not have my CC compromised. Using a CC alias is a very simple and highly effective means to prevent it. So I don't worry a bit either.
post #16220 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I prefer online retailers not keeping my credit card info but I don't lose any sleep over it. What makes me nervous is paying for a meal at a restaurant and watching my credit card walk away with the check. There is nothing stopping them from writing down my card number and security code.

You are worried about a waitress writing down your card info. So tell me how is that different from typing it into a faceless website yourself, or giving it out over the phone to a CSR who is probably not even in your country.

We just have a different level of risk tolerance.
post #16221 of 25409
I have never had an issue with my CC info being compromised from an online purchase, or stored on an internet vendor's servers.

The only time my card was compromised was from a waitress "skimming" the card at a sit-down restaurant.

As far as risk tolerance goes, what is the difference between SuperMediaStore storing your CC info and Paypal storing your CC/Bank Account info? How would Paypal's storage be any more secure?

I agree though, that SMS automatically storing your info without an opt-in feature is not acceptable.
post #16222 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You are worried about a waitress writing down your card info. So tell me how is that different from typing it into a faceless website yourself, or giving it out over the phone to a CSR who is probably not even in your country.

We just have a different level of risk tolerance.

I'm not arguing against your point. ANY time you use a credit card there is risk. Using a card alias service is a great idea. I'm simply saying handing your real credit card to a 17 year old part timer at Bubba's Rib Shack is more risky than entering your card info at SuperMediaStore's secure website. Giving your card number to a CSR over the phone is risky. I'd rather order parts online with my card than read the card number to someone over the phone.
post #16223 of 25409
It's all about odds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

An ounce of prevention . . .

It all depends on what your personal risk tolerance is and what you have to lose. Some time ago I had a credit card compromised. Within a very short time a slew of charges were made against it. It took a lot of my time and many calendar days to sort through the mess with the CC issuer, not to mention the card was immediately canceled and not reissued until the billing questions were resolved. This also caused me to miss some monthly bill payments that were normally automatically charged to the card.

So for me personally, I have great incentive to not have my CC compromised. Using a CC alias is a very simple and highly effective means to prevent it. So I don't worry a bit either.
post #16224 of 25409
My new Magnavox MDR515H does not play Timer recorded content. The unit turns on and shows like it is recording, but on playback, there is no video or audio. I am using HDMI output and cable TV. unit does record and playback normally when I just press the record button. Is this a defect, or am I doing something wrong?
post #16225 of 25409
Thread Starter 
Could be many things, first is how are you connected to the cable? Do you have a cable box, if so, have you selected the correct input type in the Video > Video Input menu?

Could be an entry in the timer setup screen, like a nonexistent channel?
post #16226 of 25409
Does it fail on all channels? 1 channel? Some channels? L1 and/or L2 inputs? Which? Which cable company? Does it fail if you disconnect the HDMI cable and use component or legacy outputs instead?
post #16227 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebondo View Post

The unit turns on and shows like it is recording, but on playback, there is no video or audio.

Is there an arrow & slashed disc icon in the corner of the thumbnail in the title list like this one? If so it's a copy protection issue.
post #16228 of 25409
For the past year I have been recording movies to my 515 HDD at HQ . Then I do front and end cut editing before dubbing to a DVD-R disk. When selecting "dubbing" the dub mode is shown automatically to fit on the DVD. No problem making a good copy. Always wanted to be able to select HSD but could not, therefore RTD was used. Now the mystery--I recorded a movie that edited down to 2:55. I expected to have to use SPP mode to dub to the DVD, BUT, low and behold the "HIGH" mode was highlighted. A mode I could not select before (always grayed out). (The dubbed DVD plays fine.) I didn't do anything different from the normal procedure I followed all these months. How can I make sure I can always select HSD?
Thanks in advance.
post #16229 of 25409
Quote:
Originally Posted by excolprof View Post

How can I make sure I can always select HSD?

Read: Strategies For Ending Up with HSD Capability.
post #16230 of 25409
Ken, Have read it. The only thing not clear is the note re: the default rec mode and the need to check. Need to find out how to check it and reset???
Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575