or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 697

post #20881 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

hi folks...
wow... can't say i like the new format... oh well...
i know i'll get comments on this reply.... to live with what i get, along with my 50 bucks worth of cable tv, albeit having my OTA for my network feeds...
best rgds,
ron g

Ron, you are correct. Some want PQ and that is usually related to price. Some couldn't tell rain from snow and want the Walmart $250 special. It's a funny world.
post #20882 of 25416
It is just when I use the component input from my DTV DVR and then switch back to the S-video input from the same DVR I can see the difference in picture quality. My contract with Direct TV is up and I was just thinking about switching to Dish TV but don't really want to do that if I can not record good quality videos from DVR onto my 2160A. So I am just interested in getting feedback from people that either are with Dish or had been with Dish before on how the quality with Dish DVR to DVD recorder. Thanks
post #20883 of 25416
Are you using the correct terminology? Component carries HD signals; composite and S-video only SD. Naturally you should see some difference between component and S-Video. Or did you mean to say that you saw a difference between COMPOSITE and S-video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

It is just when I use the component input from my DTV DVR and then switch back to the S-video input from the same DVR I can see the difference in picture quality. My contract with Direct TV is up and I was just thinking about switching to Dish TV but don't really want to do that if I can not record good quality videos from DVR onto my 2160A. So I am just interested in getting feedback from people that either are with Dish or had been with Dish before on how the quality with Dish DVR to DVD recorder. Thanks
post #20884 of 25416
Thread Starter 

biggrin.gif

 

Latest News on New Model(s)

 

Funai is planning on releasing THREE new models with diff. HDD capacities:

320GB MDR533H
500GB MDR535H
1TB MDR537H

 

6/30/12 - Preliminary Flyers (since removed for updates, I guess):

 

 

MDR533H_EN_LE-5-28-12.pdf 533k .pdf file

 

 

 

 

MDR535H_EN_LE.pdf 432k .pdf file

 

 

biggrin.gif


Edited by wajo - 7/8/12 at 9:40am
post #20885 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

biggrin.gif

Latest News on New Model(s)

Funai is planning on releaseing THREE new models with diff. HDD capacities:


320GB MDR533H

500GB MDR535H

1TB MDR537H

More later as circumstances permit.

biggrin.gif

Very interesting.
post #20886 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

biggrin.gif

Latest News on New Model(s)

Funai is planning on releaseing THREE new models with diff. HDD capacities:


320GB MDR533H

500GB MDR535H

1TB MDR537H


More later as circumstances permit.

biggrin.gif

I'm sorry, guys. This announcement is incorrect. Thru some mysterious snafu, all the 537s will disappear in a major buy-up frenzy involving some mysterious individual.

Just thought you'd want to know. biggrin.gif

Dig, eat your heart out.
post #20887 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Are you using the correct terminology? Component carries HD signals; composite and S-video only SD. Naturally you should see some difference between component and S-Video. Or did you mean to say that you saw a difference between COMPOSITE and S-video?

Sorry, you are right. I meant to say COMPOSITE so does Dish have Component output?
post #20888 of 25416
Cool-ee-oh!! So the saga continues somewhat/maybe. This is actually pretty cool that a major consumer manufacture actually, via the internet, seems to be listening to this group.
The world is indeed a very strange place.......
Wajo, your probably smirking like the dickens at this news.........tongue.gif
Mickboy
post #20889 of 25416
I'm wondering-

If the 533 and the 535 have the same size drives as what we have now...

HOW are they different?

Blu-ray burner, perhaps?

That'd certainly explain the 1T hard drive in the 537 (the model number of which confuses me).
post #20890 of 25416
"Preliminary" Leaflets (pdf) on the MDR533 and MDR535 are downloadable at the Magnavox website here:
http://www.magnavox.com/support/download_list.php

(Unfortunately spec details therein are scant.)
post #20891 of 25416
Aaah!!
I was surprised.
post #20892 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

Sorry, you are right. I meant to say COMPOSITE so does Dish have Component output?

Yes, all Dish Network HD receivers have component out.
post #20893 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

"Preliminary" Leaflets (pdf) on the MDR533 and MDR535 are downloadable at the Magnavox website here:
http://www.magnavox.com/support/download_list.php
(Unfortunately spec details therein are scant.)

Hmm, the leaflet doesn't mention clear Qam under tuners. Otherwise, these are probably just updated versions of the 513/515's. I wonder if the 537 will be offer anything new besides a larger hdd?
post #20894 of 25416
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

"Preliminary" Leaflets (pdf) on the MDR533 and MDR535 are downloadable at the Magnavox website here:
http://www.magnavox.com/support/download_list.php
(Unfortunately spec details therein are scant.)

Hmm, the leaflet doesn't mention clear Qam under tuners. Otherwise, these are probably just updated versions of the 513/515's. I wonder if the 537 will be offer anything new besides a larger hdd?

 

Unfortunately, these will just be updated versions for those who still want HDD/DVD recorders.

post #20895 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Unfortunately, these will just be updated versions for those who still want HDD/DVD recorders.
That's too bad. Yet, why make it a "fall release" if they are just changing the firmware & HDD?
post #20896 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

"Preliminary" Leaflets (pdf) on the MDR533 and MDR535 are downloadable at the Magnavox website here:
http://www.magnavox.com/support/download_list.php

At the bottom of the PDF it states "Test leaflet, for internal use only!"biggrin.gif
It's not so internal now is it.cool.gif
post #20897 of 25416
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

"Preliminary" Leaflets (pdf) on the MDR533 and MDR535 are downloadable at the Magnavox website here:
http://www.magnavox.com/support/download_list.php

At the bottom of the PDF it states "Test leaflet, for internal use only!"biggrin.gif
It's not so internal now is it.cool.gif

 

Even the leaflets say 'SECURED" in the pdf filename.

 

Helpful breaches in their fortress mentality? biggrin.gif

post #20898 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Helpful breaches in their fortress mentality? biggrin.gif

Double not spies! wink.gif
post #20899 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Double not spies! wink.gif
"Naught", not "not". I'll bet even Jethro could spell it right. biggrin.gif
post #20900 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

"Preliminary" Leaflets (pdf) on the MDR533 and MDR535 are downloadable at the Magnavox website here:
http://www.magnavox.com/support/download_list.php

Appears these documents are no longer available.
post #20901 of 25416
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

"Preliminary" Leaflets (pdf) on the MDR533 and MDR535 are downloadable at the Magnavox website here:
http://www.magnavox.com/support/download_list.php

Appears these documents are no longer available.

 

They've retreated into their fortress! rolleyes.gif

post #20902 of 25416
"Test leaflet, for internal use only!"

Maybe they meant for Internet use only tongue.gif


I just hope they will be for US and Canada and not for ROW.

Also what was that about QAM? I sure hope they have tuners in them !!!
post #20903 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Appears these documents are no longer available.

I can still find the MDR535H in the search, but not the MDR533H.
post #20904 of 25416
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Appears these documents are no longer available.

I can still find the MDR535H in the search, but not the MDR533H.

 

They might have pulled the 33 temp. cuz it had two leaflets, orig. and -1?

post #20905 of 25416
I really hope that the MDR537H can record/dub in HD & SD.

Also, where is the NTSC tuner? No component inputs? mad.gif
post #20906 of 25416
Thread Starter 

biggrin.gif

 

Latest News on New Mag Models

 

Funai is planning on releasing THREE new MDR53x models with diff. HDD capacities:

320GB MDR533H
500GB MDR535H
1TB MDR537H

 

VERY preliminary Flyers that are "in work" and once appeared on Funai website (537 flyer not yet available):

 

MDR533H_EN_LE-5-28-12.pdf 533k .pdf file

 

MDR535H_EN_LE.pdf 432k .pdf file

 

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by profhat View Post

I really hope that the MDR537H can record/dub in HD & SD.

Also, where is the NTSC tuner? mad.gif

 

The new units will be SD only, with same inputs, tuners (NTSC/ATSC/QAM), and operating characteristics... think of them as the new 515 models.

 

They're in response to all our bitching and pleading to "AT LEAST keep the 515 coming." See Prime-1 Wish here.

 

Funai's DVD recorder sales to N.A. have been declining but still a good portion of their sales, so I believe they're trying to bridge the gap until they can decide their next step? (Cross fingers.)

 

Walmart is a huge influence on what they do since, last FY, WM represented ~27% of their GLOBAL sales and ~51% of N.A. sales! That's why we petitioned WM directly... and it worked! Our petition sparked a fire for these new models even tho Funai had already shifted their resources (mainly manpower) to more promising technology.

 

I think they're really trying to help mostly new recorder users with a continuing product rather than bailing entirely. We can only hope they're shifting their resources to Wish List #2 and will come out with a new unit with flux capacitor... someday!

 

biggrin.gif


Edited by wajo - 7/28/12 at 1:30pm
post #20907 of 25416
biggrin.gif
Time to line-up the "Wajo's Beta Testers" again, to check on these possible mods (as soon as new units become available).

1. Can MDR533H and MDR535 drives be "upgraded" to 1TB by new FW?
2. Can MDR537H drive be upgraded to 2TB or 3TB?
3. Can MDR537H FW be used in 2160A/513H/515H as "V" upgrades?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

No rest for the weary.
biggrin.gif
post #20908 of 25416
Thread Starter 

^^^ Great questions!

 

I have to think the new FW will allow larger HDDs up to at least 1TB... it's something we've asked for via every means at our/my disposal. Whether they expanded that to >1TB will be interesting, esp. since they know SD prob. doesn't need it?

 

ALso very interesting will be whether or not they allow us to install the new FW in a "smaller" machine, which might not be possible since we'll only have OEM FW to start. They'd have to do a FW update that we could download for that, based on part experience.

post #20909 of 25416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

They've retreated into their fortress! rolleyes.gif

I think those documents are internal "sell sheets" or maybe they just were meant to be reviewed/proofed rather than posted on the website for all the folks out in TV Land to see. Whatever, we got a sneak peak, and it looks like they're just keeping the 513/515 production line running--which isn't a bad thing. Means we can continue to buy decent NEW DVDRs for a while longer. Not that I *need* any right now.....but I might *want* another spare or two.

Hafta say that if the "537" is just a 513/515 with a bigger HDD, it won't be that appealing to me. Just a temptation to fill up an HDD with more programming that I could lose if the drive fails before I have time to burn it to disc.... Reminds me that with the summer on and no new programs coming in, I gotta get a lot of stuff off the DVDRs that I'm using now!

The important/good news is that the Maggie line lives on.
post #20910 of 25416
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

They've retreated into their fortress! rolleyes.gif

I think those documents are internal "sell sheets" or maybe they just were meant to be reviewed/proofed rather than posted on the website for all the folks out in TV Land to see. Whatever, we got a sneak peak, and it looks like they're just keeping the 513/515 production line running--which isn't a bad thing. Means we can continue to buy decent NEW DVDRs for a while longer. Not that I *need* any right now.....but I might *want* another spare or two.

Hafta say that if the "537" is just a 513/515 with a bigger HDD, it won't be that appealing to me. Just a temptation to fill up an HDD with more programming that I could lose if the drive fails before I have time to burn it to disc.... Reminds me that with the summer on and no new programs coming in, I gotta get a lot of stuff off the DVDRs that I'm using now!

The important/good news is that the Maggie line lives on.

 

Those flyers must be prepared for their bulk buyers like Walmart since they show how many units are packed in what containers, which is typically how Funai sells them... in container on dock in China (one of their "tools" to keep their wholesale prices low).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575