or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 786

post #23551 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

Every cable box I've ever used disables composite video out if HDMI from cable box has a cable connected to it.

My Motorola DCX-3400-M will have HDMI, component, S-Video and composite all active at the same time – no matter what resolution you set for HDMI and component – the composite and S-video outputs will still output 480i simultaneously.

"My"? "Will have"? Is this something you are buying somewhere? I've only dealt with Pace, SA & Samsung boxes provided by BHN. The Pace was the only one allowed to output anamorphic through composite to eliminate boxing recorded or played by the Mags.
post #23552 of 25403
I have not hooked the Magnovox up yet. I have no UPS. Currently my coax goes through a Belkin surge protector and then into a DVD-VHS recorder with tuner and then into the TV. I was going to just run the coax straight into the Magnovox. but I saw these items on Amazon. Thanks Jim
post #23553 of 25403
eBay (via Johnny's Discount Electronics) has the refurbished Magnavox MDR533H/F7 DVR with 320GB HDD, DVD Recorder & Digital Tuner for $189.00 eek.gif

Disclaimer: (no affiliation nor interest with this item nor the seller)

I assume this unit comes with finicky tuner and +7.5IRE extra black level at no charge.tongue.gif
Edited by bdfox18doe - 4/11/13 at 2:52pm
post #23554 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

"My"? "Will have"? Is this something you are buying somewhere? I've only dealt with Pace, SA & Samsung boxes provided by BHN. The Pace was the only one allowed to output anamorphic through composite to eliminate boxing recorded or played by the Mags.

As a long term (20+ year subscriber) Shaw cable offered me a brand new in box Motorola DCX-3400-M with a 500GB HDD for $97. Of course I bought it smile.gif They normally sell for $350.

My cable co Shaw does allow subscribers to purchase STBs – as long as they come from an authorized dealer such as BestBuy or directly through Shaw. We are also allowed to buy/sell our STBs although Shaw will only activate a STB that is on their system – like a box from a fellow subscriber. They will not activate a STB that comes from another cable co like Comcast etc.

My Motorola DCX-3400-M can sometimes be tricked into outputting anamorphic WS through composite or S-Video. Sometimes when you try to center-cut an HD channel – the box will go anamorphic WS instead of center cutting the SD outs.

Subscribers selling their boxes I have bought used SD Motorola DCT2500 boxes in the past off Craigslist.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/search/ela?zoomToPosting=&query=shaw+motorola&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=
post #23555 of 25403
Hi bdfox18doe, does Wifey's Sony DHG-HDD250 still work? I have one but had heard that they no longer work since the TVGuide On Screen went away. I have 4 high end Sony VCR's that I used until the digital ****-up. I'm thinking about buying one of the Magnavox MDR53x, what did she not like about them? I'm only concerned about recording OTA broadcasts. I still can't believe that company's no longer have the balls to make digital TV recorders.
Thanks
post #23556 of 25403
There is an entire thread on the Sony over in the HD recorders section, take a look there. She did not like the Maggie after having the Sony for many reasons, mainly the flakiness of the tuner and it not receiving her main channel..as well as it was not HD. So I added a DirecTv DVR for her.
post #23557 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by drefi View Post

Hi bdfox18doe, does Wifey's Sony DHG-HDD250 still work? I have one but had heard that they no longer work since the TVGuide On Screen went away. I have 4 high end Sony VCR's that I used until the digital ****-up. I'm thinking about buying one of the Magnavox MDR53x, what did she not like about them? I'm only concerned about recording OTA broadcasts. I still can't believe that company's no longer have the balls to make digital TV recorders.
Thanks
Again not to get OT in this Magnavox thread but if your looking for something cheap to timeshift HD and would be OK with VCR type programming, you might want to check out the iView 3500 HD DVR. I have one and I'm thinking of getting a second. It sells new on Amazon for $45 eek.gif but you need to add a external USB HDD(~$50 for a 500GB to ~$80 for a 1TB) and it tunes ATSC(OTA) and clear QAM(cable).
It's kind of unpolished and has a kluge tiny remote but the price can't be beat. Oh it records in a standard PC format so you can easily hook the USB HDD to your PC and watch it there if you wish. Check out this thread for more info on the iView. Oh and please don't ask questions about it in this thread, save those for the iView thread. smile.gif again this is a true HD recorder with no subscriptions that you turn on and off like a DVDR, not on all the time like TIvo or others.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-dvr-tuner-owners-thread
post #23558 of 25403
I'm a newbie, so can anyone explain why I should bother with this antiquated VCR-like recorder when a fully-featured cable-provider HD/DVR costs just $4/month more than a standard HD STB?
post #23559 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

I'm a newbie, so can anyone explain why I should bother with this antiquated VCR-like recorder when a fully-featured cable-provider HD/DVR costs just $4/month more than a standard HD STB?

No.

 

You're lucky. My cable company wants $4 for the recorder plus $4 for the "DVR service". But no cable card is needed, unlike a TiVo.

post #23560 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

I'm a newbie, so can anyone explain why I should bother with this antiquated VCR-like recorder when a fully-featured cable-provider HD/DVR costs just $4/month more than a standard HD STB?

Not an exhaustive list:

Not all cable providers charge a mere $4 difference.

When you terminate paying your cable bill (or move to a different provider), all recordings on your cable DVR disappear. Add HBO for a month or three, recording like the dickins on one of these, then end your HBO bill, yet continue enjoying HBO content over the next months or year or more.

These also work if you switch to OTA or satellite from cable.

A cable DVR cannot save to DVD.

These can be used to migrate taped content to DVD.

Pride of ownership over renting.

Automatically records up to 6 hours of currently selected input/channel, accessible in similar fashion as on a video tape, DVD or hard disk recording, so you can back up and see the beginning after coming in late or pause that on screen address long enough to it write down.
Edited by mrmazda - 4/12/13 at 12:24pm
post #23561 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

I'm a newbie, so can anyone explain why I should bother with this antiquated VCR-like recorder when a fully-featured cable-provider HD/DVR costs just $4/month more than a standard HD STB?
You pretty much answered your own question in your characterization of the device. But in a nutshell, this is a DVD recorder, not an HD-DVR. It will not take the place of your STB. It was designed for the purpose of recording, editing and burning content to DVD disks -- all in SD. If that is not what you want to do -- if you want all the features of an HD-DVR without compromise -- if you have no desire to burn stuff off to disk for posterity -- then there is no reason for you to consider this device any more than you should consider digging out an old VCR.
post #23562 of 25403
Thanks to all for the replies. The advantages cited, such as the ability of the Magnavox to record broadcast TV, don't seem that compelling to me given its cumbersome interface and the low incremental cost of a cable company DVR STB. OTOH, couldn't the Magnavox be used to add DVR-like functionality to a streaming video device like a Roku allowing both recording and commercial-skipping provided one's content with SD? I guess I'm fortunate in that my HD-DVR STB has simultaneously active component / S-video output, so hi-res content can easily be recorded (in real-time) on one several hi-res devices now available on the market.
post #23563 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

Thanks to all for the replies. The advantages cited, such as the ability of the Magnavox to record broadcast TV, don't seem that compelling to me given its cumbersome interface and the low incremental cost of a cable company DVR STB. OTOH, couldn't the Magnavox be used to add DVR-like functionality to a streaming video device like a Roku allowing both recording and commercial-skipping provided one's content with SD? I guess I'm fortunate in that my HD-DVR STB has simultaneously active component / S-video output, so hi-res content can easily be recorded (in real-time) on one several hi-res devices now available on the market.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/0_50

 

A lot of great ideas there.

post #23564 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

OTOH, couldn't the Magnavox be used to add DVR-like functionality to a streaming video device like a Roku allowing both recording and commercial-skipping provided one's content with SD?
It wouldn't work with the new Roku 3 since that one only has HDMI out. I use my 515 to record from my Roku 2 XS. Netflix is copy protected and can't be recorded without a filter but HBO GO isn't protected.
post #23565 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You pretty much answered your own question in your characterization of the device. But in a nutshell, this is a DVD recorder, not an HD-DVR. It will not take the place of your STB. It was designed for the purpose of recording, editing and burning content to DVD disks -- all in SD. If that is not what you want to do -- if you want all the features of an HD-DVR without compromise -- if you have no desire to burn stuff off to disk for posterity -- then there is no reason for you to consider this device any more than you should consider digging out an old VCR.

Here is my experience: I recently started using WMC on Win8 as an HD DVR/PVR. Works great but even with terabyte drives you can suck up space fast. Having an SD / LP storage option on the Maggie makes life easier (and I have some sources that transmit in 480i anyway so the HD is no big deal for that). My main issue with WMC is that it stores in wtv file format, which is more like wtf.

scott s.
.
post #23566 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

I recently started using WMC on Win8 as an HD DVR/PVR. Works great but even with terabyte drives you can suck up space fast . . . . My main issue with WMC is that it stores in wtv file format, which is more like wtf..

Increased storage capacity is the price of HD/5.1 DTV recording. I have 4TB on my Media-PC which is running WMC and recording 8 season passes to supplement my TiVo. I have another 10TB of network storage on other devices. The filesize does go down by a full 1/3 after editing out commercials so that an average show is 5GB/1 hr episode. If you want to save more space without compromising fidelity you can always encode to H.264 and save another 30%.

There is nothing wrong with the .wtv file format. If the recording is not copy-protected Video ReDo opens it for editing and I save as .m2ts for my media players. If you are OTA, there are a number of other DVR packages that will save the recordings in more conventional .ts format.
post #23567 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

I'm a newbie, so can anyone explain why I should bother with this antiquated VCR-like recorder when a fully-featured cable-provider HD/DVR costs just $4/month more than a standard HD STB?

Troll detected. rolleyes.gif
post #23568 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Troll detected. rolleyes.gif
Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather see people ask this question before buying one then complain about it afterwards. If it was a perfect solution for everyone we wouldn't have a wish list.
post #23569 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

I'm a newbie, so can anyone explain why I should bother with this antiquated VCR-like recorder when a fully-featured cable-provider HD/DVR costs just $4/month more than a standard HD STB?

The most important part for me is that the DVD recorder allows me to burn my programs onto a dvd disc which I can take with me and watch on my oversea flight.
post #23570 of 25403
Joe,

I own a MDR 537H/F7 unit. It works great, no issues. The HDMI upconvert looks good to me through the VIZIO. (60 year old eyes, though!)
Edited by tomintn - 9/27/13 at 1:06pm
post #23571 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post

Joe,

I own a MDR 537H/F7 unit. It works great, no issues. The HDMI upconvert looks good to me through the VIZIO. (60 year old eyes, though!)

Have a great day,
tomingn

I agree. I have mine connected through an AVR. I would like DD5.1 on recordings. So I DSP the audio a lot.

post #23572 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Again not to get OT in this Magnavox thread but if your looking for something cheap to timeshift HD and would be OK with VCR type programming, you might want to check out the iView 3500 HD DVR. I have one and I'm thinking of getting a second. It sells new on Amazon for $45 eek.gif but you need to add a external USB HDD(~$50 for a 500GB to ~$80 for a 1TB) and it tunes ATSC(OTA) and clear QAM(cable).
It's kind of unpolished and has a kluge tiny remote but the price can't be beat. Oh it records in a standard PC format so you can easily hook the USB HDD to your PC and watch it there if you wish. Check out this thread for more info on the iView. Oh and please don't ask questions about it in this thread, save those for the iView thread. smile.gif again this is a true HD recorder with no subscriptions that you turn on and off like a DVDR, not on all the time like TIvo or others.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-dvr-tuner-owners-thread

What the? With less than $40 worth of parts the iview has all the features missing from an HD version of a Maggie? (Okay, without a BD burner, but frankly the ability to record or copy programs to a USB device is more useful anymore.)

Funai: HD now. Seriously. My family is already prepared to buy 3.
post #23573 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Again not to get OT in this Magnavox thread but if your looking for something cheap to timeshift HD and would be OK with VCR type programming, you might want to check out the iView 3500 HD DVR.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-dvr-tuner-owners-thread

Thanks jjeff..I bought one to play with..smile.gif
post #23574 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Thanks jjeff..I bought one to play with..smile.gif
Nice, it's really a cool little device and so simple it's amazing what it does. After you've had it for a while please post back your impressions in the iView thread. We need more users impressions, seems like it's mostly videobruce(the OP) and I posting on our experiences. A deal breaker for some(and rightfully so) is it's inability to record something new and watch an old program at the same time, although you can chase play the program currently being recorded. Although for the price I suppose one could always have 2 but then like the Magnavoxes you'd have to work around conflicting remotes....
post #23575 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Increased storage capacity is the price of HD/5.1 DTV recording. I have 4TB on my Media-PC which is running WMC and recording 8 season passes to supplement my TiVo. I have another 10TB of network storage on other devices. The filesize does go down by a full 1/3 after editing out commercials so that an average show is 5GB/1 hr episode. If you want to save more space without compromising fidelity you can always encode to H.264 and save another 30%.

There is nothing wrong with the .wtv file format. If the recording is not copy-protected Video ReDo opens it for editing and I save as .m2ts for my media players. If you are OTA, there are a number of other DVR packages that will save the recordings in more conventional .ts format.

I find WMC is the best backend for me so far, so I am living with the wtv. FFMPEG can handle it also Handbrake 0.98 (but not the 0.99 nightles/betas for some reason). They don't save the metadata from the wtv though.

Still like the 2160A for bulk recording.

scott s.
.
post #23576 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

What the? With less than $40 worth of parts the iview has all the features missing from an HD version of a Maggie? (Okay, without a BD burner, but frankly the ability to record or copy programs to a USB device is more useful anymore.)

Funai: HD now. Seriously. My family is already prepared to buy 3.

Maybe somebody knows how to mix the iView with the Maggy and Voilà! (Maybe not)
Where is rkg22 when we need him?
post #23577 of 25403
Thread Starter 

biggrin.gif

 

Walmart price change:

 

533 = $228

535 = $239

537 = $278

 

biggrin.gif

post #23578 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

They don't save the metadata from the wtv though.
That's the nice thing about Video ReDo, it can save the edited title as .wtv and preserve the meta data. Same goes for .tivo files.
post #23579 of 25403
I came home last night and found that there had been a short power outage. All devices were fine except for my 2160A which had a blank front display.

Pressing the power button did nothing. Unplugging for several minutes and trying again, did nothing. So I tried the Soft Reset.

Left the 2160A unplugged for about 10 minutes, then I held down the power button and plugged in the 2160A.. What sounded like the DVD drive started making noises for a few moments and then it went quiet; then something else made a noise and it also went quiet; and that was it. At no time did anything appear on the display. I tried the Soft Reset several times. I even left the 2160A unplugged overnight and tried the Soft Reset again in the morning, but with the same results. I kept the power button pushed in the whole time the noises were occurring until the 2160A went silent. The 2160A is running the SuperFW 727V.

Anybody got any thoughts on something else I could try? Could an internal fuse have blown?
post #23580 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaMews View Post

I came home last night and found that there had been a short power outage. All devices were fine except for my 2160A which had a blank front display.

Pressing the power button did nothing. Unplugging for several minutes and trying again, did nothing. So I tried the Soft Reset.

Left the 2160A unplugged for about 10 minutes, then I held down the power button and plugged in the 2160A.. What sounded like the DVD drive started making noises for a few moments and then it went quiet; then something else made a noise and it also went quiet; and that was it. At no time did anything appear on the display. I tried the Soft Reset several times. I even left the 2160A unplugged overnight and tried the Soft Reset again in the morning, but with the same results. I kept the power button pushed in the whole time the noises were occurring until the 2160A went silent. The 2160A is running the SuperFW 727V.

Anybody got any thoughts on something else I could try? Could an internal fuse have blown?

Since you heard noise, maybe the fan or DVD, it's unlikely the fuse is blown. Is it only the front panel or is the whole unit dead? There are hundreds of posts related to short power failures. Funai should provide a discount coupon for a UPS. Sorry for your loss.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575