or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 140

post #4171 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

This one looks pretty compact, but I know nothing else about it or the vendor.
http://www.cooldrives.com/sahadradtoid.html

What the hell I'll give it a try, In for a penny in for a pound.
Thanks for the heads up. It will take 1 to 3 days to get here.
post #4172 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

This one looks pretty compact, but I know nothing else about it or the vendor.
http://www.cooldrives.com/sahadradtoid.html

According to the dimensional drawing that one is 0.406 inches deep (9.0 mm + 1.3 mm). Of course, you'd also need a little room for the ribbon cable as well.

Dang. Why do all of these drives have to be 5.787 inches deep? I know, standard sizes make fitting into different cases easier. This is why I always buy computer cases with lots of real estate.

If you look down further on the web page kenavs linked to, you'll see this note:

New Low Profile Version Started to ship in Mid July 2008, Very Small PCB fit all 3.5 Inch and 2.5 inch SATA Hard Drives. This is what the New Unit Now Looks Like!

The drawing is based on the old design, but I don't see the IDE male connector on the PCB being any less than 9.0mm deep (again, it's pretty much a standard size).

If we could figure out a way to get SATA drives to work, I'm starting to like that ST3500418AS Seagate drive. Again, it's not necessarily designed for a DVD recorder, but I like that Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) of 0.32%. Compare that to the ST3160215ACE that comes with the Philips 3576 which has an AFR of 0.68%. The newer one is more than twice as reliable (that's progress for you). Kudos to Seagate for listing their HDD failure rates...very brave of them to offer this up to the public.
post #4173 of 25403
How about 2.5" drives with 2.5"-3.5" adapter...
post #4174 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

According to the dimensional drawing that one is 0.406 inches deep (9.0 mm + 1.3 mm). Of course, you'd also need a little room for the ribbon cable as well.

Dang. Why do all of these drives have to be 5.787 inches deep? I know, standard sizes make fitting into different cases easier. This is why I always buy computer cases with lots of real estate.

If you look down further on the web page kenavs linked to, you'll see this note:

New Low Profile Version Started to ship in Mid July 2008, Very Small PCB fit all 3.5 Inch and 2.5 inch SATA Hard Drives. This is what the New Unit Now Looks Like!

The drawing is based on the old design, but I don't see the IDE male connector on the PCB being any less than 9.0mm deep (again, it's pretty much a standard size).

If we could figure out a way to get SATA drives to work, I'm starting to like that ST3500418AS Seagate drive. Again, it's not necessarily designed for a DVD recorder, but I like that Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) of 0.32%. Compare that to the ST3160215ACE that comes with the Philips 3576 which has an AFR of 0.68%. The newer one is more than twice as reliable (that's progress for you). Kudos to Seagate for listing their HDD failure rates...very brave of them to offer this up to the public.

If I can get an adapter that works I have a solution to way they connect, use ribbon cable extender, this way both pcbs don't have to be attached to each other. Fixing the height and depth problem. Lots of room to lay the extra cable length flat

http://www.southernhillscomputer.com...FRLoxgoduEfP6Q
post #4175 of 25403
The Seagate 160GB is back in stock at Buy.com. They didn't last long last time.

LINK
post #4176 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

The Seagate 160GB is back in stock at Buy.com. They didn't last long last time.

LINK

That's a good price and better than what I've found. I was looking earlier today and thought I had found another dealer too, but they wanted 59.99 + $15 S/H + tax. I need to check before posting as it doesn't consistently show on searches at the site.

ETA: Never used them before so looked at resellerratings.com...buy.com customers don't like them much. Ever had issues with them?
post #4177 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

If we could figure out a way to get SATA drives to work, I'm starting to like that ST3500418AS Seagate drive. Again, it's not necessarily designed for a DVD recorder, but I like that Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) of 0.32%. Compare that to the ST3160215ACE that comes with the Philips 3576 which has an AFR of 0.68%. The newer one is more than twice as reliable (that's progress for you). Kudos to Seagate for listing their HDD failure rates...very brave of them to offer this up to the public.

Those are interesting statistics. It still means that the chances of a failure of a Seagate 160 GB IDE drive is less than 5% in a five year period, and it is perhaps unlikely folks will continue to use their DVDR boxes for longer than that (..something else will break, or folks will move to newer technology). So there is no need to panic. Yet it would be prudentto replace the standard IDE drive with one with more capacity at some point and, as you highlighted, go with a SATA drive once a SATA-IDE adapter is proven to work in these DVDRs. I appreciate your guys efforts in researching this.


_Lazza
post #4178 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 View Post

ETA: Never used them before so looked at resellerratings.com...buy.com customers don't like them much. Ever had issues with them?

I've dealt with Buy.com many times and never had a problem. However I've never had problems with anything I've bought from them either so I have no experience with their customer support.

I did order the Seagate drive to go along with the Hitachi drive I bought earlier. Now I have backups for both the Philips and Maggie. Cheap insurance IMO.
post #4179 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

Those are interesting statistics. It still means that the chances of a failure of a Seagate 160 GB IDE drive is less than 5% in a five year period, and it is perhaps unlikely folks will continue to use their DVDR boxes for longer than that (..something else will break, or folks will move to newer technology). So there is no need to panic. _Lazza

I agree. I have several Toshiba RD-XS units and I've never had a HDD die. I did stockpile several replacement 160/250 GB drives but these will probably last me several lifetimes but hey, they were cheap.

Also, as far as computer applications go, Seagate has a really bad reputation, particularly their current models. Their drives would never cohabitate with other brands in the same computer. I sold the two I had. Virtually all the Western Digitals I've had in my computers went bad (around 3-4 of them). The Maxtors used to have the best reputation for reliability but I've heard that has waned in the last 2-3 years. I have several Maxtor IDE drives from 3 years ago or longer and haven't lost one yet.
post #4180 of 25403
The newest Maxtor are just Seagate's with a Maxtor name anyways now, they bought Maxtor out. I got lucky at a garage sale for $20 and found a unused 500 gig Maxtor SATA drive and it is the same one as my Seagate 500, a .10 drive, just different model number. All of my older .10 Seagate's still work fine so far, one I've had since 2006.
But yes, most drives will start to fail around 5 years if used a lot, though not all will.
auskck
Too bad the SATA to IDE converter doesn't work so far, you might want to try different master/slave setting IF the adapter supports it.
The ones I used to go IDE to SATA worked with every drive I tried, including a few optical dvd burners. Many of those adapters did not support optical drives at all so maybe something similar is happening to yours, or it's doing something in the conversion that the machine doesn't like.
post #4181 of 25403
Change of pace after all the posts about drive upgrades.

This is a peculiar tuner problem.

The 7.x (ABC) and 9.x (PBS) channels are black when directly tuned by keypad or timed recording but become viewable when CH+ is used.

When cycling with CH+ the transition from 5.1 to 7.1 results in a black screen, then for 7.2 and 7.3 BUT here's the screwy part. The next CH+ flashes 9. on screen and then tunes 7.1 which comes alive and is fine. CH+ to 7.2 and 7.3 shows picture but then 9.1 shows black, but it goes to 9.2 then 11. then 9.1 is viewable. Here is a sequence:

CHx 5.1 Fine
CH+ 7.1 Black
CH+ 7.2 Black
CH+ 7.3 Black
CH+ 9.
xxx 7.1 Fine
CH+ 7.2 Fine
CH+ 7.3 Fine
CH+ 9.1 Black
CH+ 9.2 Black
CH+ 11.
xxx 9.1 Fine
CH+ 9.2 Fine
CH+ 11.1 Fine

This is consistent across two Philips and two Magnavox DVRs, one of each in separate rooms with one room on an amplified signal.

The TVs are a Samsung and a Sony. Neither one has any issues tuning 7.x or 9.x by direct access or CH+.

Coax input sequence is Philips/Magnavox/TV. Various combinations of cable sequence and splitters to provide each with a direct signal have not changed the issue in any way. Attenuation and amplification have not helped one way or the other.

Cable system is Comcast, and this issue has been around since Day 1 of installing the first Philips. Comcast have checked the signal and claim it is in spec.

Has anyone else encountered this peculiarity, and if so, is there a cure?
post #4182 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

The newest Maxtor are just Seagate's with a Maxtor name anyways now, they bought Maxtor out. I got lucky at a garage sale for $20 and found a unused 500 gig Maxtor SATA drive and it is the same one as my Seagate 500, a .10 drive, just different model number. All of my older .10 Seagate's still work fine so far, one I've had since 2006.
But yes, most drives will start to fail around 5 years if used a lot, though not all will.
auskck
Too bad the SATA to IDE converter doesn't work so far, you might want to try different master/slave setting IF the adapter supports it.
The ones I used to go IDE to SATA worked with every drive I tried, including a few optical dvd burners. Many of those adapters did not support optical drives at all so maybe something similar is happening to yours, or it's doing something in the conversion that the machine doesn't like.

I did the master/slave thing, no difference. Waiting on different adapter at this time. Will test a 500gb IDE drive today when it arrives.
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB 500GB
post #4183 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

Those are interesting statistics. It still means that the chances of a failure of a Seagate 160 GB IDE drive is less than 5% in a five year period, and it is perhaps unlikely folks will continue to use their DVDR boxes for longer than that (..something else will break, or folks will move to newer technology). So there is no need to panic. Yet it would be prudentto replace the standard IDE drive with one with more capacity at some point and, as you highlighted, go with a SATA drive once a SATA-IDE adapter is proven to work in these DVDRs. I appreciate your guys efforts in researching this.


_Lazza

Who knows VCR's have been going for more than 20 years.
The newer technology is already here, it's called a HTPC , does everything the maggie/philips do plus. No restrictions on number of drives, where or what types,edit, burn, sort, copy, etc, etc.
FYI:see the following
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...p?s&forumid=26
post #4184 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Size (GB)
Model #
UsageW IdleW StdbyW Height in
160 HDP725016GLAT80 6.1 3.3 0.5 1.03
500 WD5000AAKB/S 8.77 8.40 0.97 1.028

Usage W increase: +2.67
Idle W increase: +5.1
Standby W increase: +0.47
No fit issues (same height).

Those are the numbers going from a Hitachi Deskstar 160GB (found in my Magnavox H2160) to the Western Digital 500GB EIDE and/or SATA drive, as Auskck will be testing very soon.

Just to add to the above, I noticed WD actually goes into great detail on their power requirements:

12 VDC

Read/Write 460 mA
Idle 450 mA
Standby 6 mA
Sleep 6 mA

5 VDC

Read/Write 650 mA
Idle 600 mA
Standby 180 mA
Sleep 180 mA

So, during activity, it's pulling current about 40/60 between the +12V and +5V rails.

At least we know these WD 500GB drives are on the power hungry side of things (if these don't stress the PSU, many other drives become probable replacement candidates).
post #4185 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Just to add to the above, I noticed WD actually goes into great detail on their power requirements:

12 VDC

Read/Write 460 mA
Idle 450 mA
Standby 6 mA
Sleep 6 mA

5 VDC

Read/Write 650 mA
Idle 600 mA
Standby 180 mA
Sleep 180 mA

So, during activity, it's pulling current about 40/60 between the +12V and +5V rails.

At least we know these WD 500GB drives are on the power hungry side of things (if these don't stress the PSU, many other drives become probable replacement candidates).

Thanks for the input, will test sometime today as soon as I get the drive. I hope there is not a FW limitation on the drive size, we shall see. Will make for interesting information.
post #4186 of 25403
I posted on this several days ago. I like playing music off USB thumb drives. I simply like to keep the music going all day in the background, using a "shuffle" play mode. Unfortunately the 3576 can't provide this simple capability. Problems:

- firstly, the UI on the 3576 to set up random/shuffle mode is awkward. Too many buttons to press to get things going.

- secondly, on various songs I am getting phantom music snippets for perhaps 1 second at the end of the song, or perhaps between songs. Very distracting. Using the same USB drive on different players do not exhibit this behavior.

- lastly, my 3576 has *frozen* a few times while in playback mode. All I could do was unplug the box, plug it back in, then it would work again.

Suffice to say, I have given up. By chance I was purchasing a new DVD player anyway (a Yamaha unit, quite nice) and I use the USB port in that unit to do what I want. It works fine.

Not sure if anyone else with a 3576 using the USB port the way I did. Hopefully you are having better luck. Since my machine has been operating perfectly in every other way I sense that the USB/.mp3 playback stuff was never really tested much by the manufacturer.


_Lazza
post #4187 of 25403
FYI:Stream you recordings/DVD or live TV to any other TV in your house/patio.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/wirele...82a_email.html

It works had one for years.
post #4188 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydyen View Post


This is a peculiar tuner problem.

The 7.x (ABC) and 9.x (PBS) channels are black when directly tuned by keypad or timed recording but become viewable when CH+ is used.

This is consistent across two Philips and two Magnavox DVRs, one of each in separate rooms with one room on an amplified signal.

The TVs are a Samsung and a Sony. Neither one has any issues tuning 7.x or 9.x by direct access or CH+.

Has anyone else encountered this peculiarity, and if so, is there a cure?

Yup, I found this same problem with my 3576 and the Comcast channels, and so far I have not found a cure for it. I posted this a few months ago when I got my DVDR and have been watching since but it looks like this only happens on our units because I have not seen any others echoing this.

Please post your fix if you should find one.

tnx
post #4189 of 25403
Is there a way I can transfer a DIVX movie on DVD to the HDD so that it can be played back on HDD ?
post #4190 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

...Also, as far as computer applications go, Seagate has a really bad reputation, particularly their current models. Their drives would never cohabitate with other brands in the same computer.

Good to know for computers, but that shouldn't concern DVDR owners (even if you build an external drive bay, I don't think you'll have the recorder trying to control more than a single drive at a time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

...Virtually all the Western Digitals I've had in my computers went bad (around 3-4 of them). The Maxtors used to have the best reputation for reliability but I've heard that has waned in the last 2-3 years. I have several Maxtor IDE drives from 3 years ago or longer and haven't lost one yet.

Do you consider yourself unlucky when it comes to HDD failure, in general? I'm just wondering what kind of environment you are in. I keep most of my electronics going a LONG time (i.e. one computer is still running fine on Windows 98) and I've had very few problems with drive failure over the years. My latest build, May 2008, has a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS SATA 320GB (recommended on Sharky Extreme)...so far, so good.

I hope my drive lasts longer than 5 years (I'm sure I'll still be using my DVDR much longer than that, anyway). Maybe I'm just lucky with HDD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

Thanks for the input, will test sometime today as soon as I get the drive. I hope there is not a FW limitation on the drive size, we shall see. Will make for interesting information.

I don't think it will. Raunch installed a Seagate 750GB HD (ST3750840ACE) in his Philips 3575H here and it was able to see 500GB. Still 212 hrs in SP sounds pretty good to me!

Here's the power differences that seem to be working okay for him:

Size (GB)
IDE Model #
UsageW IdleW StdbyW Height in.
160 ST3160215ACE 5.0 4.8 0.8 0.787
750 ST3750840ACE 8.2 9.3 0.8 1.028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

Not sure if anyone else with a 3576 using the USB port the way I did. Hopefully you are having better luck. Since my machine has been operating perfectly in every other way I sense that the USB/.mp3 playback stuff was never really tested much by the manufacturer.

Probably not. I know some people get excited about the USB drive when they buy a 3576 thinking they can use it to hook up an external HDD. Wouldn't that be nice...
post #4191 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhishi View Post

Is there a way I can transfer a DIVX movie on DVD to the HDD so that it can be played back on HDD ?

Are you using a PC with svideo out. If yes connect svideo out to svideo in on the DVR don't forget to connect the audio as well. Then play your movie and record on your DVR HDD.
post #4192 of 25403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhishi View Post

Is there a way I can transfer a DIVX movie on DVD to the HDD so that it can be played back on HDD ?

If you can't play the DivX disc and record it to the HDD via the DIRECT DUBBING (DD) button (not sure this works with DivX?), then you should be able to play the DivX disc in an external player and record via a line input, like copying a VHS tape.

To try DD, see this help file.
post #4193 of 25403
Auskck - If you're trying to return that Rosewill IDE/SATA adapter, I noticed this comment that might be good news:

I couldn't connect my sata hard drive to my system with it. It was making me to format the drive. Tried to, but got an error "windows was unable to complete formating the drive".
The jamper 3 pins was on sata side. Must be on ide side.

Newegg is still doing there outstanding customer service.
Called for refund, and was told not to send the adapter and they will refund the money to the card they charged.


It's from 5/06, but maybe Newegg is still being this generous on their returns? Hope I can save you $20 for all the good work you're doing.
post #4194 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Auskck - If you're trying to return that Rosewill IDE/SATA adapter, I noticed this comment that might be good news:

I couldn't connect my sata hard drive to my system with it. It was making me to format the drive. Tried to, but got an error "windows was unable to complete formating the drive".
The jamper 3 pins was on sata side. Must be on ide side.

Newegg is still doing there outstanding customer service.
Called for refund, and was told not to send the adapter and they will refund the money to the card they charged.


It's from 5/06, but maybe Newegg is still being this generous on their returns? Hope I can save you $20 for all the good work you're doing.

I put the adapter in a safe place, so safe I can't find it. I'll trip over it shortly.
post #4195 of 25403
HOT HOT HOT
It’s here the Philips 3575-IDE500WD is born. March 25, 2009 @ 1207hrs
Equipment used:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive – OEM $72.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136111

Purchased from Newegg.

Before you start, have a good assortment of bits/drivers on hand, finding the right screw driver was the worst of the operation 6 tries. The screws are cheap and easily stripped use caution.
Turn POWER OFF and UNPLUG the unit.
Once the lid was popped it took me 15 minutes to install new drive (Don’t Bitch) I’m older and slower than most on this thread. Remove ribbon and power cables. Remove drive bracket 3 screws. Remove old drive from bracket 4 screws. Attach new drive to mounting bracket. Attach ribbon and power cables. Replace drive bracket. If the small ribbon cable pops off don't worry, unlock the small clip insert cable and lock the clip.
Perform Skip 0-7-9 as per thread notes.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12355769

Thank the Gods for 0-7-9 (A lucky find), worked the first time. This is a basic simple installation just take your time. There is no real hurry, it’s going to work.
Recorded and edited several short programs. Everything looks good.
Don’t forget to go through the setup procedures.(clock, channel scan, input)
After testing replace lid and secure it.
The following HDD recording durations:Blank Drive

82h 28m at HQ
188h 58m at SP
242h 12m at SPP
295h 27m at LP
401h 56m at EP
614h 54m at SLP

IMO an external IDE HDD configuration will work but I will not pursue this upgrade at this time. Well maybe not.

The New Philips 3575-IDE500WD will be part of the Home Theater setup.

Warning If you are a pessimist don’t do this upgrade.
For all the Optimist “Merry Upgrading and Happy Recording to all”.

I will be glad to answer any questions if I can.

I currently use the H2160 as my workhorse I will switch to the 3575-IDE500WD and give it a workout and report progress. I will continue testing of the SATA drive.

Update after recording some short clips
Recording Durations
105h 27m at HQ
211h 54m at SP
265h 08m at SPP
318h 21m at LP
424h 48m at EP
637h 41m at SLP
These times make more sense 3X plus a 160gb drive

200903261200 Initial Testing
System has been on and running for 24 hours straight
Recorded 5x2hr scheduled programs
Recorded several on the spot segments
Functions tested:
Record, delete, edit, HS dub, playback, FF, REW, FFW, next, prev
All performed without a hitch.
Heat has not been a problem my usb pc 250gb drive is warmer.
Ridata +R 16x size 3982mb length 1:57hrs HSD :30 elapsed
Clean bill of health so far
200903271245 Since the Birth of the Philips 3575SATA500HT my testing will be done on the SATA configuration.
IMO this IDE configuration is Safe
post #4196 of 25403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

HOT HOT HOT
It's here the Philips 3575-IDE500WD is born. March 25, 2009 @ 1207hrs
Equipment used:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM $72.99

Great news... congrats!

Already linked to your post in the new HDD Replacement help file.
post #4197 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Great news... congrats!

Already linked to your post in the new HDD Replacement help file.

Thanks Mate will continue to pursue the SATA drive issue. I think the 3575 just became a Beta Test Platform
post #4198 of 25403
George55,

I missed your posts with Search before I posted, but found them now. Interesting that the problem is in a similar frequency range.

At present, OTA channels are broadcast in analog, analog on a digital sub-channel, and digital. When mid-April comes the analog and analog/digital are supposed to disappear and OTA will be digital. That means I will never be able to record ABC or PBS, and access to the extended channels will only be possible with Comcast's box so none of them will be able to be recorded directly either.

There is nothing wrong with going digital-only, but in a righteous world everything below 135 which was analog should remain viewable with QAM. It is obscene that Comcast can excommunicate the universe of time-shift users.

Here is a little more info on the problem, which is cyclic. Even after finding the channels, they do not remain found, the Philips/Magnavox duo alternates between Fine and Black e.g.

CHx 5.1 Fine
CH+ 7.1 Black
CH+ 7.2 Black
CH+ 7.3 Black
CH+ 9.
xxx 7.1 Fine
CH+ 7.2 Fine
CH+ 7.3 Fine
CH+ 9.1 Black
CH- 7.3 Fine
CH- 7.2 Fine
CH- 7.1 Fine
CH- 5.
xxx 7.3 Black
CH- 7.2 Black
CH- 7.1 Black
CH- 5.1 Fine
CH+ 7.1 Black
sequence repeats from top
post #4199 of 25403
Has anyone looked at the power supply in the 2080 and the 2160/3576/3575? Are they the same? I might give the 500gb drive thing a whirl ( assuming the new 2080 actually works this time ). I still have worries about long term heat stability, but hey, if it works...
post #4200 of 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn View Post

Has anyone looked at the power supply in the 2080 and the 2160/3576/3575? Are they the same? I might give the 500gb drive thing a whirl ( assuming the new 2080 actually works this time ). I still have worries about long term heat stability, but hey, if it works...

6X plus the recording capacity of the 2080
As far has heat goes the Philips 3575-IDE500WD has been recording for a couple of hours. Facing the machine the drive is on the right side, power supply on left near the back, in the middle is the main PCB. Only luke warm spot is over the main PCB. I hope this helped. More information to come on the Philips 3575-IDE500WD as it develops. the Philips 3575-IDE500WD will be tested hard over the next few days. Hold off for awhile I may get the SATA configuration up and running.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575