or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 272

post #8131 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

There are very few TVs that output a recordable signal. We have one circa 2005 Sony HD TV that is supposed to provide a recordable output signal but I was unable to record that signal.

In the event that someone asks "what TV allows recording of an output signal?" it is the Sony KD-XS series as seen in the attached photos. The first photo is a front view of a Sony KD-30XS955 in one of the bedrooms. The second photo shows a portion of the rear panel. Notice the "Monitor Out" connections at the right side of the upper group. The "Monitor Out" feature is illustrated and described in the Operating Instructions as item 4 as seen in the third and fourth photos.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #8132 of 25453
Thank you for the phenomenal effort you've put into developing this resource. Your directions, work arounds and information have saved me from most likely losing my mind. Originally thought these were a piece of junk...UNTIL I found this. Now I love it. Upgraded to 500MB, no sweat, great instructions. Planning on buying one for each of my children. NO tapes, NO subscriptions.
post #8133 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

In the event that someone asks "what TV allows recording of an output signal?" it is the Sony KD-XS series as seen in the attached photos. The first photo is a front view of a Sony KD-30XS955 in one of the bedrooms. The second photo shows a portion of the rear panel. Notice the "Monitor Out" connections at the right side of the upper group. The "Monitor Out" feature is illustrated and described in the Operating Instructions as item 4 as seen in the third and fourth photos.

I'm curious as to why a TV would have a "monitor output". Why would you need an extra screen? I'm not complaining, since it means you could record off the TV's tuner, but it still seems a bit strange.

EDIT:

I notice the manual says the monitor output isn't available on digital channels. Does this mean you get a blank screen and no sound on the monitor output jacks when watching a digital OTA channel?
post #8134 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I'm curious as to why a TV would have a "monitor output". Why would you need an extra screen? [/b]

Wouldn't one reason be diagnostic purposes? Or might that port provide a recordable signal even if the source is copy-protected?
post #8135 of 25453
Thread Starter 
OfficeMax has a Hitachi Deskstar 500GB SATA HDD on sale again for $64.99.

Can't see model # from ad, but is 7200rpm, 16MB cache. If suitable, a local source for buy and return?
post #8136 of 25453
Reg: $79.99
Save 19% :$15.00
Your Price: $64.99
INSTANT SAVINGS
Ships in: 1 to 3 days
Item #: 22145340
Manufacturer #: HD30500IDK/7K
High speeds mean faster start up, file copying, game playing and video performance. Hight-Performance Storage for PC's.
Features
- Upgrade your existing hard drive, or add one for increased capacity
- Easy to install as a replacement or additional hard drive
- Full replacement, worry-free warranty
- Boost performance and increase the capacity of your PC or Mac in minutes
- 3-Year Warranty
- Green, eco-friendly technology for industry leading, low power consumption
Quantity:

the above specs are from their web site-- they also have a 2.5 inch travelstar for a bit over 100
post #8137 of 25453
Thread Starter 
Here's the same drive at J$R for $59.00.

However, it appears to be a "Simple Drive" (brand?) made by Hitachi. Haven't found it on Hitachi's site yet... still looking.

Not sure it matters, tho?

Aha, it's "SimpleTech by Hitachi" as noted here.

Used to be SimpleTech by Fabrik, but Hitachi bought them in 2009.

Article on Hitachi's acquisition here.

Can't find that specific PN in Hitachi website, but they do have press releases on new Simpledrives, like the 2TB here.
post #8138 of 25453
Is this the same thing?
http://www.frys.com/product/5947194
$49.00 at Fryes online

At this rate, they/ll be paying us to take 'em off their hands.

But my question is, if these arent the 'original' Hitachi deskstars and they're calling them that, how are we supposed to keep track of what works and what doesnt work when these are from another *%*#%)# company? Same thing happened with Seagate when they absorbed Maxtor and a lot of crap was dumped on the market under Seagate's once proud name. Crazy...

Think this drive will still work okay or should we hunt for an older one?

PS They have a 250 GB 2.5 Hitachi travelstar laptop drive for same price, as well

PPS -- simpletech might be the enclosure using Hitachi drive within?

http://www.simpletech.com/products/s...pledrive-rev3/

SimpleDrive is made by Hitachi and uses the same reliable Hitachi hard drives you have come to trust.



Will go back and review instructions, but if we are buying bare drive, do we simply unplug and replug with existing cables, or do we need to purchase additional cables now (I have 2160A, which I thought was already configured with SATA connector - seems it would be just a swap, right? More complicated to set up external farm (my first plan, but that will have to wait - just wanted to have a backup on hand)
post #8139 of 25453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Is this the same thing?
http://www.frys.com/product/5947194
$49.00 at Fryes online

At this rate, they/ll be paying us to take 'em off their hands.

But my question is, if these arent the 'original' Hitachi deskstars and they're calling them that, how are we supposed to keep track of what works and what doesnt work when these are from another *%*#%)# company? Same thing happened with Seagate when they absorbed Maxtor and a lot of crap was dumped on the market under Seagate's once proud name. Crazy...

Think this drive will still work okay or should we hunt for an older one?

PS They have a 250 GB 2.5 Hitachi travelstar laptop drive for same price, as well

They should be OK!???

That link shows the "normal" Hitachi drive series, P7K500, with the same HDD # HDP725xxxxGLA and GLAT drives as in Table IV of the HDD/DVD help file .

Here's the Hitachi page for the P7K500 series.
post #8140 of 25453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Will go back and review instructions, but if we are buying bare drive, do we simply unplug and replug with existing cables, or do we need to purchase additional cables now (I have 2160A, which I thought was already configured with SATA connector - seems it would be just a swap, right? More complicated if you want to set up external farm (my first plan, but that will have to wait)

The simplest and cleanest to externalize is to set up a "dock-and-play" system. Buy a hard drive dock (nicknamed "Toaster") as indicated in the text with Auskck's 5-HDD farm under "Pioneers."
post #8141 of 25453
Cool, and for $5 more with free shipping at NewEgg, they have this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145215

which is on the Hitachi site
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...84977eac4f0a0/

this might be slightly older model, not certain...

(sorry we keep cross posting )
post #8142 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I notice the manual says the monitor output isn't available on digital channels. Does this mean you get a blank screen and no sound on the monitor output jacks when watching a digital OTA channel?

I'm a little fuzzy (with a senior moment) on what I had hoped to accomplish but this text from one of my 2008 posts gives a few of the details:

Some time ago (September 2007) I posted this message in another Forum:

I have attempted to record, without success, from the Monitor Out RCA jacks of our Sony WEGA KD-30XS955, a 30 inch widescreen CRT HDTV that has a built-in HD tuner. Our Sony utilizes a Cable Card from Comcast.

The Sony Operating Instructions concerning the Monitor Out reads "Lets you record the program you are watching to a VCR. When two VCRs are connected, you can use the TV as a monitor for tape-to-tape editing (not available with digital channels or with 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i when the input is set to VIDEO 5, 6, or 7)."

For a brief time I had a DMR-ES35V connected to the Monitor Out jacks. I received no signal from any channels. The Sony does not have a S-Video output.

Might it be that use of the Cable Card means that all the Sony TV outputs are either digital or provide no analog signal?

Currently there is a DMR-ES40V connected to the cable coax from a splitter, the other coax feed is to the Sony TV. While the DMR-ES40V may record basic cable channels directly from the coax, its use is primarily as a DVD or VHS player connected to the TV's Video In 1, and also to one of the TV's (component) Inputs, In 5.

At that time another poster responded:

"I just doubt that they would install an expensive D-A converter solely for the analog outputs, although anything is possible. They'll never give you a digital output, for copy protection reasons. (Composite video is analog-only anyhow). . . BTW, the composite outs should also be displaying any analog inputs that are connected to the set, like VCR or DVD, in addition to analog broadcasts."

In a 5/3/2008 update I wrote:

We returned the Cable Card to Comcast and got the Motorola HD STB (that has its own Cable Card installed) to allow us to get the program guide and on demand service. The DMR-ES40V is still connected to the Sony but no further attempts have been made to record from the Sony's composite Monitor Out jacks.
post #8143 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Is this the same thing?
http://www.frys.com/product/5947194
$49.00 at Fryes online

At this rate, they/ll be paying us to take 'em off their hands.

But my question is, if these arent the 'original' Hitachi deskstars and they're calling them that, how are we supposed to keep track of what works and what doesnt work when these are from another *%*#%)# company? Same thing happened with Seagate when they absorbed Maxtor and a lot of crap was dumped on the market under Seagate's once proud name. Crazy...

Think this drive will still work okay or should we hunt for an older one?

PS They have a 250 GB 2.5 Hitachi travelstar laptop drive for same price, as well

PPS -- simpletech might be the enclosure using Hitachi drive within?

http://www.simpletech.com/products/s...pledrive-rev3/

SimpleDrive is made by Hitachi and uses the same reliable Hitachi hard drives you have come to trust.



Will go back and review instructions, but if we are buying bare drive, do we simply unplug and replug with existing cables, or do we need to purchase additional cables now (I have 2160A, which I thought was already configured with SATA connector - seems it would be just a swap, right? More complicated to set up external farm (my first plan, but that will have to wait - just wanted to have a backup on hand)

The Fry's drive is OEM, it's the same drive as the retail version. To verify look for this number 0A35415
For 49.99 it's a bargain! but it's at Store only, not available online.

PS. Now they show the retail box for 49.99! avail for shipping, better deal.
post #8144 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

The Fry's drive is OEM, it's the same drive as the retail version. To verify look for this number 0A35415
For 49.99 it's a bargain! but it's at Store only, not available online.

PS. Now they show the retail box for 49.99! avail for shipping, better deal.



I agree and grabbed one! The shipping wasn't bad either, considering it's Fry's.
post #8145 of 25453
did it - figured it wouldn't hurt to have an extra HD available - and when I get around to it will swap one out just to experiment. Good price for the retail box. Wasnt sure if the other one (new egg) was boxed that way, and it was 5 dollars more, so for a two dollar differential (ground shipping was 7), I went with Fry's.
post #8146 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

did it - figured it wouldn't hurt to have an extra HD available - and when I get around to it will swap one out just to experiment. Good price for the retail box. Wasnt sure if the other one (new egg) was boxed that way, and it was 5 dollars more, so for a two dollar differential (ground shipping was 7), I went with Fry's.

+3 Looks like the newegg drive is OEM (it said bare drive).
post #8147 of 25453
Just got a 2160, and it looks like a great bang-for-the-buck. The main thing it's missing is HD. :-) But it will suffice for most of what we want to record.

My main concern is this bit about the cable company moving the channels around. The unit seems to find the channels, but it's painful to page through them all to find the channels I want. They are supposed to remove the analog channels soon, which will make things more interesting.

It would have been nice for there to be two inputs, so that I could access both OTA and cable. (Or can you combine the signals without rebroadcasting the signal?)

(I may have posted about this before, but I can't find it, so I think it was lost...)
post #8148 of 25453
> It would have been nice for there to be two inputs, so that I could access both OTA and cable. (Or can you combine the signals without rebroadcasting the signal?)

Actually, there are two inputs. L1 and L2. L1 is in the back, L2 is in the front. L2 is hidden by the cover on the right front side of the unit.
post #8149 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by fccgrant View Post

> It would have been nice for there to be two inputs, so that I could access both OTA and cable. (Or can you combine the signals without rebroadcasting the signal?)

Actually, there are two inputs. L1 and L2. L1 is in the back, L2 is in the front. L2 is hidden by the cover on the right front side of the unit.

I think he is referring to 2 RF In lines, which would be pretty sweet.
post #8150 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post

Just got a 2160, and it looks like a great bang-for-the-buck. The main thing it's missing is HD. :-) But it will suffice for most of what we want to record.

My main concern is this bit about the cable company moving the channels around. The unit seems to find the channels, but it's painful to page through them all to find the channels I want. They are supposed to remove the analog channels soon, which will make things more interesting.

It would have been nice for there to be two inputs, so that I could access both OTA and cable. (Or can you combine the signals without rebroadcasting the signal?)

(I may have posted about this before, but I can't find it, so I think it was lost...)

First, I have a Sony DHG-HDD250 that has two RF inputs. One for OTA and the other for cable. You can scan for both, and the result is a sequential listing with, for example, 3 (cable) then 3.2 (ant) then 3.2 (cable) then 4 (cable), etc., with the source being shown. Downside is that when selecting the input there is a relay that does the switching and that slows it down a lot if you're doing any searching. But it does have a fantastic "favorites" ability which negates the need for scanning. Of course, other devices act differently.

Next, get used to cable channel realignment. I've found that when my channels are moved, it's usually when a new channel is offered that you can check by visiting the company's web site.

Finally, when doing the channel scan, there are three choices on my 2160. I don't have any OTA but still have some (70) analog channels. I find that scanning of any input gives me ONLY what that scan finds. So if I scan "cable (analog)" that's all I get. If I scan "cable (analog/digital)" I only get digital. It doesn't bother me since I never use analog, but I wanted to point out that the same thing might apply to antenna versus cable. I can't tell. Well, I could but I'm not that bored right now. And see my earlier post about channel numbers being different on the 2160 than on my TV.

They still sell HD tuners that have S-Video outputs which provide a really decent signal that you can feed to the AV inputs. Only stereo though, no 5.1 ability. I have both the 260F and HD5000. The 260F is a crap shoot when it comes to quality.
post #8151 of 25453
I imagine it's better to keep the drive I'm planning to put into a 2160A (eventually) pristine. I had been looking at one of those drive caddy type gizmos, but I think I'll just put this deskstar aside and save it for the video recorder. Also, from the various swapping tales everyone has kindly shared, it sounds as though the existing cable already in the recorder just gets reused so there's no need to buy any new ones. The 2160A already has the SATA adapter in there. Is a special screw driver required? Other things to have on hand -- I'm thinking electrical tape, or maybe velcro? Want to be sure everything is ready to go in case I decide to take the plunge (after warranty runs out, of course.) Someone mentioned that the 3.5 inch drive was a very tight fit, so I briefly considered getting a laptop drive, instead, but ... others havent found that to be a problem. I went with the bigger drive because it's faster, too. Might be one of those things that seem harder to do when you're reading about it than when you're actually doing it! At least, here's hoping!!!
post #8152 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post

Just got a 2160, and it looks like a great bang-for-the-buck. The main thing it's missing is HD. :-) But it will suffice for most of what we want to record.

It would have been nice for there to be two inputs, so that I could access both OTA and cable. (Or can you combine the signals without rebroadcasting the signal?)

(I may have posted about this before, but I can't find it, so I think it was lost...)

There's a thread awhile back where Wajo was speculating about the sequence you'd need to follow if you wanted to toggle between the stations that you capture with an ota antenna and those from the cable co. one would replace the other but they might not interfere because the numbers (say for ABC, NBC, etc ) would be different in many cases. Sorry, I can't recall exactly when that was, but I'll bet someone here will remember it.

Another possibility for double tuning would be to think about putting your OTA antenna into another device with a digital tuner, like a vcr or DVD recorder with ATSC tuner, and then accessing that via one of the 2160's line inputs. Or you could use a CECB converter box to grab the over the air programs. It's intended for analog but depending on the shows, quality may not be too bad.
post #8153 of 25453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

There's a thread awhile back where Wajo was speculating about the sequence you'd need to follow if you wanted to toggle between the stations that you capture with an ota antenna and those from the cable co. one would replace the other but they might not interfere because the numbers (say for ABC, NBC, etc ) would be different in many cases. Sorry, I can't recall exactly when that was, but I'll bet someone here will remember it.

Yes, I tested adding my indoor rabbit ears antenna to my basic cable feed by adding the antenna channels with the Manual Channel Preset menu, but found I could only do ch. 7-13... going above 13 would wipe all antenna channels and I think also interfered or wiped digitals... in any case, it worked but was so limited that way that it seemed pointless.

Even using an A-B switch would encounter the same channel mix limitation cuz getting antenna channels memorized separately involves the same Manual process.

Your other suggestions for adding antenna channels thru a separate feed were much better.

I'm prob. forgetting some other viable options?
post #8154 of 25453
Hi,

I'm new to this thread. I recently discovered the info on the 2160 and am considering buying one. I have read quite a bit of the great info provided here -- thanks so much for all your good work. One of the posts I found interesting was the "Wish List" for a 2010 version. My questions are:

* Has anybody heard anything about a 2010 release?

* If not : If there is a 2010 release, when would we expect to hear about it?

* When would you expect to see if for sale at Walmart?

* Is there likely to be a significant increase in price in the new version?

* Do you think it is worthwhile waiting -- or should I buy the current version with the flaws & maybe fewer features.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jer01
post #8155 of 25453
Just about everything a user needs to know about Funai recorders is in Post #1.

Wajo has made a huge effort to not only create, but to maintain, Post #1 with the latest information.

If something deserves coverage outside Post #1, Wajo provides a link to the expanded content.

Rant ON

I am growing weary of this and the Magnavox thread being stuffed with questions and complaints about subjects which are covered succinctly and accurately by Wajo. Responses to posts by members who have not read Post #1 themselves only adds confusion and misdirection.

--------- The net etiquette for any thread which has a sticky ---------
-------------- or a primary post is READ before posting ---------------

Vidgamer, I am not picking on you for a specific reason, it's just that the timing of your post coincides with my black mood.

> My main concern is this bit about the cable company moving the
> channels around. The unit seems to find the channels, but it's
> painful to page through them all to find the channels I want.

Your post is symptomatic of a concern/complaint that does not need to be voiced because the solution is documented:

- scan the TOC in Post #1
- your concern falls under 2.d titled "Current FACTS on Tuning Analog, Digital and QAM Channels"
- for Comcast users 2.d has a link to Post #12 which explains pain-free discovery of all the channels

Wajo writes and rewrites Post #1 in a constant effort to attain perfection. Any post asking for clarification about the content results in immediate surgery to make Post #1 clearer for the next reader.

What I would dearly like to see is a standardized reply to repetitive content posts along the lines of

"Please let us know if Post #1 subsection n.n does not solve your issue(s)."

Rant OFF

If I am alone in my opinion, please let this post die without comment, I do not want to start a furor of pro and con arguments.
post #8156 of 25453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post

Hi,

I'm new to this thread. I recently discovered the info on the 2160 and am considering buying one. I have read quite a bit of the great info provided here -- thanks so much for all your good work. One of the posts I found interesting was the "Wish List" for a 2010 version. My questions are:

* Has anybody heard anything about a 2010 release?

* If not : If there is a 2010 release, when would we expect to hear about it?

* When would you expect to see if for sale at Walmart?

* Is there likely to be a significant increase in price in the new version?

* Do you think it is worthwhile waiting -- or should I buy the current version with the flaws & maybe fewer features.

Thanks in advance for your input.

The "Wish List" is really a "just-in-case" thing... I'm not confident any new HDD DVDRs will EVER be made for sale in North America.

IF Funai decides to sell a 2010 model, it could be units mfg in Apr-May or even Aug-Sep, both mfg months for the 2160 and 2160A. So, if nothing appears in Apr-May 2010 period, it might be looking grim just based on history?

Again, IF they decide to make a 2010 version, it could be a simple model "progression" with little or no price increase, or if they include any new stuff in our Wish List (doubtful), they could try to sell for "some" more but prob. not a whole lot more.

If you don't have to have a unit NOW, I'd wait to see if J&R gets another batch of excellent refurbs and sells them for their "std" $159. Those might appear in 2-4 weeks, if they can get any more at all. Check the J&R link often on the 1st page with the list of help files (the "Sticky" thread, #1 in my sig.).

With that LOW price, it's a tremendous value and, anyway, you'll want more than one eventually, but then you can just wait a little longer to see what shakes out!?
post #8157 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post

Hi,

I'm new to this thread. I recently discovered the info on the 2160 and am considering buying one. I have read quite a bit of the great info provided here -- thanks so much for all your good work. One of the posts I found interesting was the "Wish List" for a 2010 version. My questions are:

* Has anybody heard anything about a 2010 release?

Dont hold your breath! We're just trying to inspire some Funai engineer to get a bright idea .... no luck so far, but dont let that hamper your imagination. If we design it, maybe someone will build it...
post #8158 of 25453
Thanks for your input Wajo & Artwire,

I don't think I would have the patience to wait till April/May, especially if it is so doubtful it will happen. Maybe I can wait 2-4 weeks. Once I get anxous about something, I find it VERY hard to wait. I have always been a little reluctant to buy refurbished electronics.

Jer01
post #8159 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post

Thanks for your input Wajo & Artwire,

I don't think I would have the patience to wait till April/May, especially if it is so doubtful it will happen. Maybe I can wait 2-4 weeks. Once I get anxous about something, I find it VERY hard to wait. I have always been a little reluctant to buy refurbished electronics.

Jer01

I bought my first one new for that same reason (but went back for #2 and #3 refurbed, and you honestly cannot tell the difference (except for the outer box). Maybe we've all been lucky, but ... there's a warranty, so if anything is amiss, there is a return option. Get one -- either way -- new or refurbed -- you will almost certainly want/need another at some point, or, at the very least, you will want to add a larger drive. They are great machines. It's so much easier to have one handy near each tv - saves copying time if you want to share the programs, and gives you extra storage space (and more diverse channel access).
post #8160 of 25453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

...Or just get the new one at WM, and swap it later when J&R refurb is available again (WM return period is 90 days). ...

That is one of the worst abuses of the Walmart return option I can ever recall seeing suggested. All of us who shop at Walmart pay for this sort of abuse in higher prices. This type of activity may also lead to Walmart dropping the product and/or the manufacturing discontinuing production.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575