Originally Posted by wajo
Not sure if a TBS would help, but my 3575 doesn't like it's own raw signal from an HDD title to a DVD thru AV OUT to AV IN. I have to ass-u-me the 2160 is the same?
My Pio 640 can do the HDD-to-DVD "sneaky' method.
I don't see why it would make a difference which drive was used to do the recording, but I did use my DVDR3575 to record a program to its HDD from its HDD.
It has been quite some time, but this is the way I recall it going. I monitored the DVDR3575 using HDMI. I connected patch cables from the line Out to the Line in. That is all I needed since I did not have any copy guard issues with the program I was experimenting on. Actually, I have never seen a copy guard on my OTA recording with my DVDR3575, DVDR3576, or recently acquired J&R refurbished H2160A.
A major aside:
The Refurb was orderd about 9:30PM MDT on June 1 (I did let it get pretty close to the end of the $15 off deal), and was received on June 8, 2010. It came well packaged in a sturdy brown box with bubble wrap inside and and external plastic wrap. The manual was commercially printed with a Reconditioned Product sticker and "Batteries Not Included" stamp. The Remote and cables appeared to be new. The unit looked great, but it did have quite a bit of use.
Skip 079 showed:
HDD power Hours 1213
Skip 321 showed:
I think the Refurb serial Number sticker has covered the original manufacturing info. It came with the original A firmware, which I have not bothered to update. I have only been using DVD+RWs, so I just have to initialize or erase them on L3, which is no big deal. So far I have not detected any problems with the unit.
Finally, back to the original topic:
I scheduled a recording from the Line In to the HDD for a minute or so in the future. I believe the screen went to noise when that recording started, so it would have been good to set the volume of the TV very low, in advance. I then went to the menu, and started playing a program previously recorded on the HDD. As I recall, there was trash at the start of the recording. I believe when the recording initially started, the Line out was playing the signal on Line in, which was a feedback loop, but when I went to the menu, it started recording the menu activity, and when the program started playing, it recorded the program successfully. Since it was just a test, I only scheduled a few minutes of recording, and deleted it immediately, but I am sure I could have edited any junk from the beginning and end of the new recording.
I may not have all the details exactly right(It has been a while, and the memory is not what it used to be), but I think this is very close to what happened. If some one tries this on a DVDR3575 with different results, I can repeat my test.