or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 509

post #15241 of 19097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Any difference 1 gig 5850/5870 vs 2 gig cards?

Was my HTPC system overkill? Could I go buy the mini-atx recomendations you have listed in the June edition, if I'd consider the mini-atx route, not sure how much power is really needed to do what I want. Having a large enough case to fit two Cetons Quad tuners, and maybe going the mini-atx route might work fine? Thanks.

Obviously 5870 2GB is better in some games under certain circumstances. I will leave the discussion to hardware review sites.

Yes. Add 14W for one Ceton card and 7W for one HDD to the power consumption in this chart.

The Ceton card is a PCIe x1 card. So you have to select a mb with at least two PCIe x1 (or higher) slots and a PCIe x16 (x1 is enough for video playback, though) slot for graphics (if you want to use a discrete graphics card). For example, GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H or MSI 890GXM-G65. Or an ATX mb/case.
post #15242 of 19097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejfm View Post

My htpc has been running great until yesterday. I purchased the hd homerun dual tuner. Now, everytime I run wmc7 to watch recorded or live tv, the cpu temp shoots up pretty quickly and shuts down my pc. I am using a i3 530 and a h55/usb3 motherboard. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Reseat the CPU cooler. Which case are you using?
post #15243 of 19097
Ok, not sure where to start other than just post away I guess. Im a hardcore computer enthusiast and been building systems as hobby since the late 80's, BUT, Im a total n00b when it comes to HTPC though. I would like to build a HTPC solely for the purpose of recording NFL games (or any other TV show for that matter) and then watching them directly from the HTPC I just recorded them on. I am sick and tired of having to go to comcast to rent the box every year and decided this year I will not pay the extra per month just to rent their DVR. Soooo, I went through my closet to see what hardware I have from years past and I found a motherboard, among dozens of others, that appears to be perfect, for starters anyway. Below is what I have. And before I get to far, here are my questions upfront.

1. Whats the best possible PCI-E HDTV Digital Cable Tuner card? Obviously I do not need multiple tuners since I wont ever be watching something else while recording. But its ok if its necessary to have the best card quality. Is this the best one? http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/prod...RTExpress.aspx
2. What would be the best software to use to wake up my HTPC, and start recording an NFL game while Im away? Channel changing? Windows 7 MC?
3. Can I use my Logitech Harmony 510? If not which remote to get and how do I connect it to the HTPC? IR blaster? Or do I just need a wireless keyboard?
4. Which Radeon to get? Will the ATI 5450 suffice or do more expensive cards provide better NFL watching, lol?

HDTV: Sony 55" SXRD 55A3000 120HZ w/ 3 HDMI v1.3 ports.

Broadcast Source:
Comcast Digital, No Box, just straight 75ohm monster cable from the wall to the monster splitter). I recently got a letter from Comcast stating that my area is now solely digital, and that I have to have digital hardware in order to watch any broadcasts channels of any kind in my neighborhood. They sent a Digital Adapter that I assume I do not need at all, lol.

HTPC System: This is what I currently have for a HTPC DVR.
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 = 1GB
OCZ Vertex SSD for OS
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB for NFL recordings
PCP&C 650 watt PSU
Logitech Z5500's 5.1 Speakers

The mobo has 2 PCI Express x16 slots, 1 PCI Express x1 slot and 1 PCI Express x4 slot. Also has 2 old school PCI slots. Oh and the mobo glows under UV lighting, lol, should make for a really nice effect if I add some UV tubes and a window to my HTPC case.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit installed on her and she feels fast as lightning (thanks to the SSD), but the crappy Radeon x800 has to go. Not looking to win any design awards, lol. I only turn on the TV's tuner when a NFL game comes on, but I am a hard core Netflix renter/streamer and of course Bluray user. I have a dedicated Netflix Roku box and a Panasonic DMP-BD65K for those operations. I also have nearly a terrabyte of MP3's and ripped movies that id like to check out through a HTPC as well if possible. I just want to stop using my TV's slow as molasses built in digital tuner and also stop paying for a DVR from comcast.

So what Tuner is recommended for my setup and what video card should I throw in? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

SkOrPn

P.S. I apologize if this was the wrong thread to post this question, but it appeared to be the correct one. Thanks
post #15244 of 19097
Thread Starter 
@SkOrPn

1. One of the best sources on TV tuner is The HDTV Tuner Information Site. Read this section too. To watch encrypted cable channels, you need a Digital Cable Tuner card; Ceton InfiniTV 4 and ATI's are the only choices right now.
2. Windows 7 MC is a good choice (and the only choice for a Digital Cable Tuner card).
3. Yes.
4. 5450 is a good choice. 5570/5670 is better.
post #15245 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

@SkOrPn

1. One of the best sources on TV tuner is The HDTV Tuner Information Site. Read this section too. To watch encrypted cable channels, you need a Digital Cable Tuner card; Ceton InfiniTV 4 and ATI's are the only choices right now.
2. Windows 7 MC is a good choice (and the only choice for a Digital Cable Tuner card).
3. Yes.
4. 5450 is a good choice. 5570/5670 is better.

Wow, thanks for such a quick reply, you are fantastic. You said "To watch encrypted cable channels, you need a Digital Cable Tuner card; Ceton InfiniTV 4 and ATI's are the only choices right now." Well, I only subscribe to basic cable and FOX is the station that has the NFL games I want to record. Is it possible that the local channels will be encrypted? Maybe the letter they sent was trying to warn me about needing a cablecard. I will find out on 10/12/2010 as thats the date it says the changes will be completed. I will get the ATI 5670 then. Thanks again...
post #15246 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejfm View Post

My htpc has been running great until yesterday. I purchased the hd homerun dual tuner. Now, everytime I run wmc7 to watch recorded or live tv, the cpu temp shoots up pretty quickly and shuts down my pc. I am using a i3 530 and a h55/usb3 motherboard. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Are all fans spinning?

Improperly seated CPU cooler?

Air flow in and/or around the case blocked?

Ambient temperature?

____
Axel
post #15247 of 19097
Need some assistance please. Been spending $105 per month for satellite, looking to drop satellite for good. Yesterday I just purchased the Intel Core i7-930 ($199) and the Seagate 1TB sata hard drive ($69).

I'm thinking about going with the Antec Fusion Remote Black MicroATX case. I need some guidance on memory, motherboard, video card (HDMI out 1080i and/or 1080p) and need a card to receive OTA (over the air) HD broadcasts from a roof mounted HD antenna. Of course want to be able to time-shift and record shows. As if this needs to be said, need for the HTPC to handle 1000BASE-T (already ran CAT6 cabling, don't want to stream over wireless). I have a stereo that handles 7.1, might pipe the HTPC into this, who knows at this point, perhaps not.

Also, any recommendations on an external HD antenna that will receive both television and radio broadcasts? I'm located in Michigan, thanks...

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated, tired of spending $105 per month on "Television Shopping Networks". Thanks....
post #15248 of 19097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

Wow, thanks for such a quick reply, you are fantastic. You said "To watch encrypted cable channels, you need a Digital Cable Tuner card; Ceton InfiniTV 4 and ATI's are the only choices right now." Well, I only subscribe to basic cable and FOX is the station that has the NFL games I want to record. Is it possible that the local channels will be encrypted? Maybe the letter they sent was trying to warn me about needing a cablecard. I will find out on 10/12/2010 as thats the date it says the changes will be completed. I will get the ATI 5670 then. Thanks again...

KASA-DT is clear (i.e. unencrypted) QAM. Available OTA/clearQAM cable channels based on the postcode.
post #15249 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901 View Post

I'm trying Transformers 2 right now. Going to let it run overnight with some different settings and see if it comes out any better. Law Abiding Citizen looks fine on my 22"monitor but I haven't tried it on my 50" plasma yet.

Would you mind telling me what settings you change from default on rip bot for your encoding? How can you control the bit rate and what would be an adequate bit rate that will still allow for decent savings on storage (I don't have the money for a media server).

Okay, Transformers 2 came out at 18.9GB with the CQ set at 18 and the bitrate is 17.1 Mbps. That should be much better quality than Law Abiding Citizen. I'm going to retry Transformers 2 at CQ set at 20 and play it on my TV and see if I can see a difference. I'll also re-do Law Abiding Citizen and the do the rest of my BD if I can't see a difference.

Anyone have any subjective opinion on CQ 18 vs CQ 20 vs CQ 22? I know that there will be a difference, I'm just not sure how much of a difference.

Thanks!
post #15250 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

KASA-DT is clear (i.e. unencrypted) QAM. Available OTA/clearQAM cable channels based on the postcode.

I just read somewhere that I need a dual core cpu minimum in order to watch HDTV on my TV. Is this true? I guess Im going to just get the tuner card for now, either the FusionHDTV7 or the Hauppage 2250 (once I figure out which is better) and install it on my main rig, its a Rampage III Extreme with a i7 930 running at 4ghz, and 6gb of Dominator memory and the video card is a ASUS ROG MATRIX 5870. I didnt want to use my main rig as a HTPC but considering its close enough to the TV and already connected via HDMI, I might as well try it. But first, I can toss the 5870 and the Tuner in the old DFI mobo and at least give it a try before I spend $ on a new video card for it. This should tell me if the single-core 3200+ can handle HDTV playback.

Thanks again renethx.
post #15251 of 19097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

I just read somewhere that I need a dual core cpu minimum in order to watch HDTV on my TV. Is this true?

No, not true. Basically HD 5xxx does the all the video (DVD, BD, SDTV, HDTV [live or recorded]) playback tasks and a single core CPU is enough. Recording (digital) is also one of the easiest tasks for a single core processor.
post #15252 of 19097
I'm looking to build a very cheap file/media server to bridge the next few years, until I can hopefully upgrade to a new HTPC and maybe a better server. renethx--I saw your server builds but they're overkill for what I need. What would a minimal server build look like?

Low cost is essential. Room for perhaps 6 or so 3.5 drives might do. If it was capable of converting and streaming direct to my existing PS3, that would be a bonus, but if not I can access the files from my workstation and continue using ps3ms to stream to the PS3 (or if that doesn't work out, maybe invest is a cheapo nettop). For OS, I'd probably prefer WHS but I could be talked into free alternatives.

Thanks for any advice!
post #15253 of 19097
I really appreciate the time you've put into these lists, but I have a question for those that have built machines. I am considering one of the low end micro or miniATX boxes but want to make sure that there is enough power to run hulu HD and other flash based HD video services. Will these boxes based on the intel i3 without an external video card be able to play back those more software intensive tasks?

My main priority is video playback, but including Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, BD, DVD, etc.

I'd just hate to go down the miniATX road and not have the processing power to playback all the video formats.

Thanks!

Russell
post #15254 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue View Post

I really appreciate the time you've put into these lists, but I have a question for those that have built machines. I am considering one of the low end micro or miniATX boxes but want to make sure that there is enough power to run hulu HD and other flash based HD video services. Will these boxes based on the intel i3 without an external video card be able to play back those more software intensive tasks?

My main priority is video playback, but including Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, BD, DVD, etc.

I'd just hate to go down the miniATX road and not have the processing power to playback all the video formats.

The Core i3-530 is pretty fast and should have no problems with any of the sources you mentioned even without hardware acceleration via GPU. Heck, it even encodes video much faster compared to my older Core 2 Duo E7200.

Besides, nowadays, even Mini-ITX builds can be powerful enough even for gaming. Got a Gigabyte H55N-USB3, Core i7-860 and GTX 460 crammed inside a Silverstone SG05B. It's currently the fastest PC in the house while being the 3rd smallest. The two builds that are smaller are both Atom-based.
post #15255 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny View Post

I'm looking to build a very cheap file/media server to bridge the next few years, until I can hopefully upgrade to a new HTPC and maybe a better server. renethx--I saw your server builds but they're overkill for what I need. What would a minimal server build look like?

Low cost is essential. Room for perhaps 6 or so 3.5 drives might do. If it was capable of converting and streaming direct to my existing PS3, that would be a bonus, but if not I can access the files from my workstation and continue using ps3ms to stream to the PS3 (or if that doesn't work out, maybe invest is a cheapo nettop). For OS, I'd probably prefer WHS but I could be talked into free alternatives.

Thanks for any advice!

Use an old computer and boot via USB with an Unraid license.
post #15256 of 19097
Hey guys I'm hoping for some input here. I'm getting ready to build a new computer for myself. I'm building a machine to run Windows 7 Pro, Office 2010, and some 3D modeling software. I'll also be using it for all around Microsoft Office work, surfing the web, and for video editing, ripping blu-rays to smaller files to burn on DVD or put on an iPad/iPhone, and ripping DVDs. I want to be able to run DirecTVs DirecTV2PC program, and I might also be interested in adding an OTA tuner at some time if I need to.

That said I know the machine I am building is overkill but I tend to do that. I usually keep my computers for a long time so I like to get the higher end motherboard/processor stuff and cheap out on the other stuff until I need to upgrade it later. Here are the components I'm looking at right now:

Intel Core i7-930
Asus P6X58D Premium Socket 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard
Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP Internal SATA 8x Blu-ray Drive / 16x DVD Burner
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL
Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 SATA III 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Is 64GB going to be a big enough hard drive to fit Windows7, and my other programs? I'll be using a separate hard drive to store my documents, music, videos, etc.

Am I going to be ok buying a single stick of ram? I realize that it won't run as well as if had multiple sticks, but I prefer to buy the biggest it can take, so I can just add more 4GB sticks over time when I need it or have more money. I prefer to do this rather than getting say 3 2GB sticks and then having to discard/try to sell those if I ever need to use all 6 slots. I suppose I could bite the bullet and order 2 or 3 4GB sticks now, but I'd rather wait a couple months.

Finally I need suggestions on a video card. I'm always lost when it comes to these. For now it will be hooked up with DVI to a Acer X233hbd. Eventually though I may hook it up to my home theater also, so I'd like it to be able to output 1920x1080i over HDMI along with bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA if possible. I'd like to try to go with a fanless design as possible to keep noise down (this PC is going to be in our spare bedroom).

Again any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably be buying the I7-930 and Asus P6X58D tomorrow night as I will be driving past Micro Center and they seem to have the best deal on the I7. I live 3 hours away so I normally wouldn't make the trip to buy it there, but I will be driving fairly close by tomorrow so I decided to buy it now.
post #15257 of 19097
Ren,

How do you get 15 drives in the 590 case (per your configuration below). I just setup my server (thanks again for the awesome guide) and I don't see any way to get more than 12 drives in this case (3 of the 4 in 3 racks). Is there something I'm missing? Where are you putting the other 3 drives?

Thanks!





15 HDD Tower System with Hot-Swapping

System

* Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX (9 x 5.25 bay), $47.
* HDD Cage: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Mobile Rack, $95.
* HDD Cage: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Mobile Rack, $95.
* HDD Cage: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Mobile Rack, $95.
* PSU: Corsair TX650W CMPSU-650TX 650W, $90.
post #15258 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

Use an old computer and boot via USB with an Unraid license.

I do have my old desktop (an ABC custom-built job that was cutting edge in 2001 ) in the closet. Couple issues though:
* It's not built to handle more than 2-4 hard drives, I think (it's a largish tower, but not sure exactly what form factor). How would I add more?
* It's got a P4, I think. Is that sufficient? I realize I'd have to offload any converting/streaming to my workstation.
* It's a noisy beast. I guess I could replace the PSU and fans

How much would I save by reusing the old case, mobo, and CPU, assuming I had to replace everything else? And what would I be sacrificing by going that route instead of building with new case/mobo/cpu?
post #15259 of 19097
I'm using the ANTEC Fusion Remote, does reseating mean readjusting the heatsink to the motherboard? Thanks!
post #15260 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejfm View Post

I'm using the ANTEC Fusion Remote, does reseating mean readjusting the heatsink to the motherboard? Thanks!

Yes. Reseating the heatsink is to make sure that you are getting good contact/pressure between the CPU and the heatsink. The thought is that you may have jarred it loose while installing the new components.
post #15261 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink View Post

Ren,

How do you get 15 drives in the 590 case (per your configuration below). I just setup my server (thanks again for the awesome guide) and I don't see any way to get more than 12 drives in this case (3 of the 4 in 3 racks). Is there something I'm missing? Where are you putting the other 3 drives?

Thanks!

15 HDD Tower System with Hot-Swapping

System

* Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX (9 x 5.25 bay), $47.
* HDD Cage: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Mobile Rack, $95.
* HDD Cage: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Mobile Rack, $95.
* HDD Cage: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Mobile Rack, $95.
* PSU: Corsair TX650W CMPSU-650TX 650W, $90.

Take a look at the large bolded items . Those hold 5 drives in the space of 3 5.25" bays. If you go with those SuperMicro cages, I'd highly recommend replacing the stock fans with something quieter - I'm very happy with an Arctic Cooling F9 PWM fan (92 mm).
post #15262 of 19097
Wow.. I'm an idiot!

I didn't realize that 4 in 3 and 5 in 3 were both options, I figured they would be standard (all the same level of density). That'll teach me.

How about eSATA expansion? Is that an option to continue growing an unRAID server? I'm just not sure that 12 drives is going to get it done, I might wan to keep expanding this thing as more media becomes available.

Thx!


Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Take a look at the large bolded items . Those hold 5 drives in the space of 3 5.25" bays. If you go with those SuperMicro cages, I'd highly recommend replacing the stock fans with something quieter - I'm very happy with an Arctic Cooling F9 PWM fan (92 mm).
post #15263 of 19097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny View Post

I'm looking to build a very cheap file/media server to bridge the next few years, until I can hopefully upgrade to a new HTPC and maybe a better server. renethx--I saw your server builds but they're overkill for what I need. What would a minimal server build look like?

Low cost is essential. Room for perhaps 6 or so 3.5 drives might do. If it was capable of converting and streaming direct to my existing PS3, that would be a bonus, but if not I can access the files from my workstation and continue using ps3ms to stream to the PS3 (or if that doesn't work out, maybe invest is a cheapo nettop). For OS, I'd probably prefer WHS but I could be talked into free alternatives.

Thanks for any advice!

You don't have to buy all the components at the same time. If you don't have a good case holding a bunch of HDDs, surely you should buy it first. You may be able to use other older components you already have, CPU, mb, memory etc. If your mb does not have enough SATA ports, you can add a SATA controller card (e.g. AOC-SASLP-MV8 or AOC-SAT2-MV8).

Upgrading the mb/CPU is easy under unRAID. For WHS, you may have to reinstall OS, with the data drives intact.
post #15264 of 19097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Hey guys I'm hoping for some input here. I'm getting ready to build a new computer for myself. I'm building a machine to run Windows 7 Pro, Office 2010, and some 3D modeling software. I'll also be using it for all around Microsoft Office work, surfing the web, and for video editing, ripping blu-rays to smaller files to burn on DVD or put on an iPad/iPhone, and ripping DVDs. I want to be able to run DirecTVs DirecTV2PC program, and I might also be interested in adding an OTA tuner at some time if I need to.

That said I know the machine I am building is overkill but I tend to do that. I usually keep my computers for a long time so I like to get the higher end motherboard/processor stuff and cheap out on the other stuff until I need to upgrade it later. Here are the components I'm looking at right now:

Intel Core i7-930
Asus P6X58D Premium Socket 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard
Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP Internal SATA 8x Blu-ray Drive / 16x DVD Burner
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL
Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 SATA III 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Is 64GB going to be a big enough hard drive to fit Windows7, and my other programs? I'll be using a separate hard drive to store my documents, music, videos, etc.

Am I going to be ok buying a single stick of ram? I realize that it won't run as well as if had multiple sticks, but I prefer to buy the biggest it can take, so I can just add more 4GB sticks over time when I need it or have more money. I prefer to do this rather than getting say 3 2GB sticks and then having to discard/try to sell those if I ever need to use all 6 slots. I suppose I could bite the bullet and order 2 or 3 4GB sticks now, but I'd rather wait a couple months.

Finally I need suggestions on a video card. I'm always lost when it comes to these. For now it will be hooked up with DVI to a Acer X233hbd. Eventually though I may hook it up to my home theater also, so I'd like it to be able to output 1920x1080i over HDMI along with bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA if possible. I'd like to try to go with a fanless design as possible to keep noise down (this PC is going to be in our spare bedroom).

Perhaps 64GB is enough. In my desktop system, Office, CS4 and a bunch of other programs are installed in a 40GB partition and Windows constantly complains that there is not enough desk space. The only reason for this is that temporary files are constantly growing.

A single stick of RAM is OK, but it could be the bottleneck of performance under several situations. I would buy two 4GB sticks (dual channel is much better than single channel, while the difference between dual and triple is not that big).

Sapphire HD 5670 with Arctic Cooling Accelero L7 is virtually inaudible. You'd better buy a good CPU cooler instead.
post #15265 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

No, not true. Basically HD 5xxx does the all the video (DVD, BD, SDTV, HDTV [live or recorded]) playback tasks and a single core CPU is enough. Recording (digital) is also one of the easiest tasks for a single core processor.

OH? Wow, I was really bummed out after reading that, but not sure now where I read that (probably a stupid newegg review). I will pick up a 5670 and give it a try as soon as I figure out which tuner to get.

Does anyone here have an idea or link to some good information to the DVICO FusionHTV7 products or any good comparison reviews to say the Hauppage products? Im simply looking for the best digital tuner for Windows 7MC, preferably with a WAKE feature to turn the computer on when a recording is scheduled and Im not around to turn on the HTPC...

Thanks

EDIT: I think Im going to get the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250, it just seems to have more positive reviews compared to the other tuners.
post #15266 of 19097
Beerstalker, did you get the I7-930 from Micro Center for the $199 price tag? I stopped by the Micro Center here in Michigan and picked one up, I also got the Seagate 1TB 7200 Sata drive for $69. I trust Seagate over WD any day of the week, better warranty and a much better product, my opinion anyways....
post #15267 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

You don't have to buy all the components at the same time. If you don't have a good case holding a bunch of HDDs, surely you should buy it first. You may be able to use other older components you already have, CPU, mb, memory etc. If your mb does not have enough SATA ports, you can add a SATA controller card (e.g. AOC-SASLP-MV8 or AOC-SAT2-MV8).

Thanks for the reply. So what would be an example of a budget case that could up to 6-8 drives? Would I just be looking for any full-tower?

My ancient mobo doesn't even have SATA ports I'll have to buy just about everything but a CD-Drive for this thing.
post #15268 of 19097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny View Post

Thanks for the reply. So what would be an example of a budget case that could up to 6-8 drives? Would I just be looking for any full-tower?

My ancient mobo doesn't even have SATA ports I'll have to buy just about everything but a CD-Drive for this thing.

Cooler Master Centurion 590, $60, is a good choice (up to 9 HDDs). You don't have to buy expensive 5-in-3 cages. There are several cheap 4U server cases. For example, ARK 4U-500-CA, $80.
post #15269 of 19097
Can anyone tell me why I would not want to use the setup I am thinking of? This PC will also be used for general web browsing and maybe gaming on occasion.

Asus Crosshair IV formula
AMD Phenom II x4 965
8gb ddr2 dual channel
1 80gb hdd for os (still to be determined)
2TB WD Caviar Green
ATI 5770
Silverston LC-18 Case

Thanks for helping out the noob in advance.
post #15270 of 19097
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

I think Im going to get the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250, it just seems to have more positive reviews compared to the other tuners.

For consideration...
I'm using two. One is connected to an antenna to receive OTA ATSC. The other receives basic cable. I had reception problems with an Indoor HDTV antenna. But all's good after intstalling a medium sized directional antenna in the attic (the majority of transmitters are co-located where I live). I did have problems with specific orientations, but eventually found the sweet spot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server