or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic BD30 Firmware Update Thread (Now 1.4)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic BD30 Firmware Update Thread (Now 1.4) - Page 2  

post #31 of 401
Quote:


Where did you actually get the player?

Who are you asking?

(Mine came from Circuit City online about two weeks ago).
post #32 of 401
The DMP-BD30 is available now from Circuit City and Best Buy, although the only stores here that have shown any stock of them have been CC's. Online channels such as Amazon and others don't seem to have any available yet.
post #33 of 401
WooHoo... Looks like my local Best Buy has them in stock! Thanks!
post #34 of 401
Where can I get Nero or something similar? Is it free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

The only real problem with using Vista is if you follow the burning instructions from Panasonic. After the extraction, they say to right-click on the file and "Send To" the CD recorder drive for burning. This is where Vista will screw it up. If you are burning with Vista, just use a different burning program like Nero or similar. Someone posted that you simply burn the file as a UDF data CD.
post #35 of 401
Quote:


Where can I get Nero or something similar? Is it free?

Nero is not a free program, though they might offer a demo. Just Google Nero Burning ROM.

If you strike out, I can send you the disc I burned and used already. PM me if you want it.
post #36 of 401
I bought mine at CC last Friday.
post #37 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

Nero is not a free program, though they might offer a demo. Just Google Nero Burning ROM.

If you strike out, I can send you the disc I burned and used already. PM me if you want it.

Thanks Robert, I will let you know if I need it.
post #38 of 401
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate. I first tried to burn a cd-r following the pdf method from Panasonics website. It burned okay, but the BD30 didn't like it. Seemed like it started to update, then it spit out the disc. I checked my firmware version, and it still said 1.1. I then used the free Nero software that my computer came with and burned a data cd-r. Tried to update again and it went through without a problem this time. I'm now at firmware version 1.2.
post #39 of 401
It sucks that Panasonic seems to think that there are only PCs (Windows) in use by Home Theater enthusiasts! No Mac OS X compatible version of the firmware is offered. Thankfully, I also have a Boot Camp partition on my Mac Mini (my home theater PC) so it was a simple matter to fire up Windows and burn the CD with the Mini. Worked fine.

But it's still ridiculous that Panasonic doesn't offer a "generic" ISO image that can burned on ANY computer. That's how Toshiba handles it with their firmware updates! Panasonic needs to wake up and smell the coffee... Macintosh market share is growing and growing FAST!

Mark

Mark
post #40 of 401
Burned my disc on my Macbook Pro. Update went smoothly but when i went to the player menu to check the the updated firmware there is nothing where Panasonic says the version # would be...it's just blank. Here's what it should look like. So, I went and burned a copy with Nero on My PC and the Panasonic reads "No Update" and ejects the disc so i guess it updated with the Mac disc. Discs play fine by the way.
LL
post #41 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

It sucks that Panasonic seems to think that there are only PCs (Windows) in use by Home Theater enthusiasts! No Mac OS X compatible version of the firmware is offered.

How come? It's an exe, but it's a compressed file, stuffit easily deals with that.
Then just burn the fw file using toast or whatever you want - works
like a charm

Andrew
post #42 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post

How come? It's an exe, but it's a compressed file, stuffit easily deals with that.
Then just burn the fw file using toast or whatever you want - works
like a charm

Bingo.

FYI, Stuffit-Expander for Mac is a free download here.
post #43 of 401
Anyway, I burned a disk with Vista "Mastering" format and got "E DISC" from the player. So I burned another (another dime down the hole...) using Nero on Vista. The Nero disc worked.

For the record, and precisely, the disc that worked is ISO9660, Joliet. (This is NOT UDF, so let's put that rumor to rest.) The disc that didn't work is ISO9660, Joliet, UDF. (I figured all of the Vista talk about Mastering mode meant not UDF. Wrongo, apparently...)
post #44 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate. I first tried to burn a cd-r following the pdf method from Panasonics website. It burned okay, but the BD30 didn't like it. Seemed like it started to update, then it spit out the disc. I checked my firmware version, and it still said 1.1. I then used the free Nero software that my computer came with and burned a data cd-r. Tried to update again and it went through without a problem this time. I'm now at firmware version 1.2.


Same here, except I DL'd a free 2 week trial of Nero. Thanks for all the help guys and getting me through the frustration!
post #45 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

Mac users just like to whine.

Anyway, I burned a disk with Vista "Mastering" format and got "E DISC" from the player. So I burned another (another dime down the hole...)

So windows users just put up with a crappy experience and wasted time/money and don't say a word eh?

I'm just playin' people. I am an IT guy and a Windows software developer. I don't want to get into a Mac vs. PC argument here.

Mike
post #46 of 401
On my xp pc when i open the downloaded Update-bd30nt_v12 it is opening th extarct as panaDvd in owrd perfect not in the frm image i see.Can any one let me know what exactly has to be done please
post #47 of 401
never mind.i was able to upate it. shows 1.2
post #48 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

Burned my disc on my Macbook Pro. Update went smoothly but when i went to the player menu to check the the updated firmware there is nothing where Panasonic says the version # would be...it's just blank. Here's what it should look like. So, I went and burned a copy with Nero on My PC and the Panasonic reads "No Update" and ejects the disc so i guess it updated with the Mac disc. Discs play fine by the way.



there will be no firmware version number showing until you do this:

click setup.

then go to the DISPLAY section and press enter.

now press the STATUS key on the remote. then the number will appear.

on the page for the firmware download it tells you in better detail how to make it appear. hope that helps.
post #49 of 401
well I used roxio to burn the file on a maxell CD-R and it just wont work (wont update the player)...I keep getting 'L FVU' on the display, whatever that means, and then 'E Disk'...the disc tray will open and wants me to put a disc in...I did (regular bluray, music cds), and it wouldnt read anything at all for a while, I could not even watch anything...it would just open the tray again and show me the 'L FVU' message...no clue what that even means. Well eventually when i put a bluraydisk in for the 10th time, after powering off the machine several times, it would play bluray titles without problem again...but still firmware 1.1

I tried to enter the CD-R with the firmware again, and again the 'L FVU' showed up on the display and the player started to eject any disc again...

any clue what is going on here???

BTW, you have to go to the 'Display' section and then press 'status' key, not to the 'video' section, in order to get the current firmware version shown on the screen
post #50 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulacawa View Post


BTW, you have to go to the 'Display' section and then press 'status' key, not to the 'video' section, in order to get the current firmware version shown on the screen

Thanks - updated my post. was going from memory when i posted.
post #51 of 401
I was just thinking - alot of people are having an issue with how to burn the firmware to a disc in a format that can be read by the Panasonic properly - It seems to really depend on the software that you use.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to just create an ISO file from a working disc and post it somewhere so everyone can grab a known working disc image that will burn with the most common burning software out there?

Easy enough to do - but I am not sure of this forums policy about posting links to firmware if it is not to the original manufacturers site...
post #52 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

Mac users just like to whine.

It looks like you want to start a "Flame" war. I'd suggest you stick to the facts and spend your time helping people with the firmware.

CD
post #53 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxxer View Post

there will be no firmware version number showing until you do this:

click setup.

then go to the DISPLAY section and press enter.

now press the STATUS key on the remote. then the number will appear.

on the page for the firmware download it tells you in better detail how to make it appear. hope that helps.


Thanks...I knew it would be something simple!
post #54 of 401
When you load the new firmware does it reset the unit to factory defaults?
post #55 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbalt View Post

When you load the new firmware does it reset the unit to factory defaults?

Doesn't appear to. When I installed the firmware, it retained my settings.
post #56 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxxer View Post

I was just thinking - alot of people are having an issue with how to burn the firmware to a disc in a format that can be read by the Panasonic properly - It seems to really depend on the software that you use.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to just create an ISO file from a working disc and post it somewhere so everyone can grab a known working disc image that will burn with the most common burning software out there?

Easy enough to do - but I am not sure of this forums policy about posting links to firmware if it is not to the original manufacturers site...

I'd been having the same thought. It wouldn't be hard to make an ISO, at which point there are a number of free programs around that would make burning the ISO to a disc pretty straightforward - for both PC and Mac.
post #57 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

Six words devoted to my friends, the put upon Apple users of the world, and 80 words devoted to what it takes to make the formware work. Like I said...

It is funny that we are all so preoccupied with this HD DVD vs. Blu-ray format war right now. The Mac vs. PC thing is a good reminder that two competing formats can coexist quite well for an extended period of time. I am starting to think the same thing is going to happen with HD. For that reason I am about to go format neutral. That being said, I strongly favor Blu-ray and I think the BD30 is the perfect choice on that side.

Mike
post #58 of 401
Updated mine this morning without issue.
post #59 of 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulacawa View Post

well I used roxio to burn the file on a maxell CD-R and it just wont work (wont update the player)...I keep getting 'L FVU' on the display, whatever that means, and then 'E Disk'...the disc tray will open and wants me to put a disc in...I did (regular bluray, music cds), and it wouldnt read anything at all for a while, I could not even watch anything...it would just open the tray again and show me the 'L FVU' message...no clue what that even means. Well eventually when i put a bluraydisk in for the 10th time, after powering off the machine several times, it would play bluray titles without problem again...but still firmware 1.1

I tried to enter the CD-R with the firmware again, and again the 'L FVU' showed up on the display and the player started to eject any disc again...

any clue what is going on here???

BTW, you have to go to the 'Display' section and then press 'status' key, not to the 'video' section, in order to get the current firmware version shown on the screen

Yeah, unfortunately I have duplicated this same error message & had downloaded the firmware onto CD-R using Roxio. But will have NOT gotten it to work or revert back to original firmware after many hard/soft resets & attempting numerous DVD's & CD's. Will keep trying cause I sure hope this unit is not bricked!
post #60 of 401
I am confused about this ISO/UDF discussion and you guys are scaring me. I haven't received my BD30 yet but I downloaded the firmware using windows vista. After clicking the UPDATE_BD30NT_V12.exe file I got the PANA_DVD.FRM file which I presume is the file to be copied to a CD-R. Using Roxio creator 10 to create a data disk or the "send to" command from Vista , I ended up with the same result : A CD-R with a single file with 30.8 MB , the PANA_DVD.FRM .

I am assuming that's the disk the BD30 will read and update the firmware. What I don't understand is why so many people reported problems with both Vista and Roxio Creator. What kind of file did you guys have recorded on the disk ? Did I do anything wrong ?

Thanks

Sergio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic BD30 Firmware Update Thread (Now 1.4)