or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread - Page 159

post #4741 of 12395
The triplets and I just finished the "Impossible Challenge Marathon" thing. And I just wanted to say that "Battery" was the best combination of challenging and fun metal-riffic mayhem on any "stock" song yet. Not that anyone cares, I just felt like hearing myself talk!
post #4742 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbrtRetryIgnore View Post

I use the nylon tipped 7a sticks and like 'em a lot. If you like the heavier 5a, they sell those dipped, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

I switched to 7A nylon-tipped Zildjian dips and love them.

i'm just curious, why do you guys prefer the nylon tips over the wood tips? i figured the wood tips would work better with RB, because nylon tips break easier, and the tips take a lot of abuse hitting pads opposed to real drum heads. am i missing something?
post #4743 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

i'm just curious, why do you guys prefer the nylon tips over the wood tips? i figured the wood tips would work better with RB, because nylon tips break easier, and the tips take a lot of abuse hitting pads opposed to real drum heads. am i missing something?

Well, the nylon tips don't splinter like the wood tips can (although they can just fall off, but I haven't had that happen), so I figure that'll keep them from shredding my silencer pads.

On real drums, nylon tips make different (sharper) sounds than the wood tips, but for RB drums, I don't think it really matters. But consensus seems to be that the wood tips are probably going to be a little harder on the equipment.

And for the record, the sticks I got with my RB1 bundle were definitely 5a sticks. Slightly longer and noticeably heavier than the 7a sticks I now use. I had to switch away from the stock 5a sticks to lighter ones as my RB1 kit started to deteriorate...the 5As were causing the drum pads to make scary cracking sounds on almost every pad. That stopped with the lighter 7a sticks. Since they're lighter and therefore have less impact, I think they do less damage over time.
post #4744 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

i'm just curious, why do you guys prefer the nylon tips over the wood tips? i figured the wood tips would work better with RB, because nylon tips break easier, and the tips take a lot of abuse hitting pads opposed to real drum heads. am i missing something?

They are supposed to be less damaging to electronic drum heads.



I got my RMA pedal and guitar in the mail. Anyone had any issues with their RMA? The guitar they sent feels like the green button might be bad. I haven't plugged it in yet, just wondering how I'm supposed to get it replaced, do I have to RMA my RMA?
post #4745 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

They are supposed to be less damaging to electronic drum heads.



I got my RMA pedal and guitar in the mail. Anyone had any issues with their RMA? The guitar they sent feels like the green button might be bad. I haven't plugged it in yet, just wondering how I'm supposed to get it replaced, do I have to RMA my RMA?

Yep. You have to RMA your RMA. I went through the process 3 times.
post #4746 of 12395
So..... I just finished the endless setlist 2 on hard drums. I wouldn't recommend doing this, ever. Started at around 3pm and ended just now before midnight. I didn't really time it but I had at least a 3-4 hours of break time.

Took me 3 tries to complete both Panic Attack and Visions on hard, the only songs I failed out of. It would be really nice if they didn't sort it by way of difficulty, so you mix some of the hard songs up front.

PDA and There Goes the Neighborhood have got to be the worst songs in the game. Horrible abrasive sounding music, the interpol singer is just bad and the libians band is the epitome of true punk - sounds like ****.
post #4747 of 12395
i was just wondering if anyone here uses or has ever tried the MCU Dual Pads from Drumsoft? i'm using a RB1 drum kit, and i tried the licensed RB silencers (which i think are made by Pinnacle), and they weren't very good. the clanking actually doesn't bother me personally, but i have noticed in the past that if a group of people are playing it's distracting to the other people playing the other instruments. i'm really asking because they're expensive at $29.99, and i would really hate to order something like that and be stuck with them if they didn't work well...

and guys, thanks for the advise about the the 7a Dips. i picked up a pair at a local Guitar Center yesterday and i like them much better than the 5a Anti-Vibes that i was using before. the fact that they're lighter definitely helps me play better, and the rubber is just a bonus. i tried the wood tips, but exchanged them today for the nylon tips when you guys recommended them instead, and i REALLY like them a lot. and i don't know if it's just me or not, but it sounds to me like the clanking is a bit louder with the nylon tips after trying both, but i could have just been the fact that i only played 2 songs with the wood tips and it could have just been those 2 songs...

and again, thanks for the advice, it really worked out well. now, all i need to do is to look into the MCU Dual Pads and Mega Pedal replacement pedal for OEM pedal, and i should be set...
post #4748 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

i was just wondering if anyone here uses or has ever tried the MCU Dual Pads from Drumsoft? i'm using a RB1 drum kit, and i tried the licensed RB silencers (which i think are made by Pinnacle), and they weren't very good. the clanking actually doesn't bother me personally, but i have noticed in the past that if a group of people are playing it's distracting to the other people playing the other instruments. i'm really asking because they're expensive at $29.99, and i would really hate to order something like that and be stuck with them if they didn't work well...

I posted a detailed review of a few different drum silencer pads on this forum a few months ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14340798

It covers three silencer types: DIY felt/foam pads, RocPadz, and the MCU Dual pads. For the record, the MCU Duals began cratering and pitting badly after a couple months, but they are still as functional as described in that review. Since I'm due to get my GoodWoodMods stealth head drums this week, in a few days I won't have to worry about silencer pads anymore. (I'm very excited.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

and guys, thanks for the advise about the the 7a Dips. i picked up a pair at a local Guitar Center yesterday and i like them much better than the 5a Anti-Vibes that i was using before. the fact that they're lighter definitely helps me play better, and the rubber is just a bonus. i tried the wood tips, but exchanged them today for the nylon tips when you guys recommended them instead, and i REALLY like them a lot. and i don't know if it's just me or not, but it sounds to me like the clanking is a bit louder with the nylon tips after trying both, but i could have just been the fact that i only played 2 songs with the wood tips and it could have just been those 2 songs...

and again, thanks for the advice, it really worked out well. now, all i need to do is to look into the MCU Dual Pads and Mega Pedal replacement pedal for OEM pedal, and i should be set...

Glad you like them.

And your ears weren't deceiving you. The nylon tips, being more rigid than wood, do give a slightly sharper "ping," but it's a fairly subtle difference that most people probably wouldn't have noticed. Some (real) drummers will switch between wood tips (slightly more muted) and nylon tips (sharper ping) depending upon the song for the different sounds they give on ride cymbals and the like. On the plus side, the nylon tips don't splinter like wood, so they're typically less damaging to the drum kit.
post #4749 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

i was just wondering if anyone here uses or has ever tried the MCU Dual Pads from Drumsoft? i'm using a RB1 drum kit, and i tried the licensed RB silencers (which i think are made by Pinnacle), and they weren't very good. the clanking actually doesn't bother me personally, but i have noticed in the past that if a group of people are playing it's distracting to the other people playing the other instruments. i'm really asking because they're expensive at $29.99, and i would really hate to order something like that and be stuck with them if they didn't work well...

and guys, thanks for the advise about the the 7a Dips. i picked up a pair at a local Guitar Center yesterday and i like them much better than the 5a Anti-Vibes that i was using before. the fact that they're lighter definitely helps me play better, and the rubber is just a bonus. i tried the wood tips, but exchanged them today for the nylon tips when you guys recommended them instead, and i REALLY like them a lot. and i don't know if it's just me or not, but it sounds to me like the clanking is a bit louder with the nylon tips after trying both, but i could have just been the fact that i only played 2 songs with the wood tips and it could have just been those 2 songs...

and again, thanks for the advice, it really worked out well. now, all i need to do is to look into the MCU Dual Pads and Mega Pedal replacement pedal for OEM pedal, and i should be set...

I'm using the MCU dual. I don't know that I would get them again. They give a little better rebound and a small noise reduction. But I really never compared head to head with and without them. They are now getting pock marks on my yellow and green pads.

I broke down and ordered the Ion set, should be here today or tomorrow. So won't much matter anymore. DaverJ is probably the most experience with all this crap. He's tried pretty much every thing there is, I think. Sounded like gum rubber might have been the best option.
post #4750 of 12395
My red MCU dual pad starting breaking up after a week of heavy use. They sent me gum rubber as a replacement, which helped greatly in rebound, but not sound. The adhesive on those failed fairly quickly and by that time, I had already ordered the Ions and didn't bother buying a can of adhesive spray. MCU is not recommended (by me.)
post #4751 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I broke down and ordered the Ion set, should be here today or tomorrow. So won't much matter anymore. DaverJ is probably the most experience with all this crap. He's tried pretty much every thing there is, I think. Sounded like gum rubber might have been the best option.

What kind of lead time were you quoted on the ION set? I'm thinking about ordering if they aren't tremendously back-ordered.
post #4752 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

So..... I just finished the endless setlist 2 on hard drums. I wouldn't recommend doing this, ever. Started at around 3pm and ended just now before midnight. I didn't really time it but I had at least a 3-4 hours of break time.

Took me 3 tries to complete both Panic Attack and Visions on hard, the only songs I failed out of. It would be really nice if they didn't sort it by way of difficulty, so you mix some of the hard songs up front.

PDA and There Goes the Neighborhood have got to be the worst songs in the game. Horrible abrasive sounding music, the interpol singer is just bad and the libians band is the epitome of true punk - sounds like ****.

How many stars did you need for Endless Setlist 2? Mine still says that I need more. I have reached Rock Immortal Status, but I skipped over most of the "Create-a-setlist" to have some spaces open for the "Diva" and her track selections.

Perhaps it goes against the whole idea of an "endless" setlist, but not being able to save is a deal-breaker for me. The "infinite" challenges might have a chance because you can at least save your progress.
post #4753 of 12395
Is there anyway to know what your scores are on each difficulty?
post #4754 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankrich View Post

What kind of lead time were you quoted on the ION set? I'm thinking about ordering if they aren't tremendously back-ordered.

They're in stock and ship a day or two after you order.
post #4755 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankrich View Post

What kind of lead time were you quoted on the ION set? I'm thinking about ordering if they aren't tremendously back-ordered.

I ordered from Amazon. Said it was instock. Had a free 1 month Amazon Prime trial. Did that and got free 2 day shipping. I ordered on thursday or friday.
post #4756 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

They're in stock and ship a day or two after you order.

Funny thing is I would have picked up the RB2 set had I just been able to find one at the local BB, CC, Target or Wal-Marts. I didn't drum much on RB1 and want to get back into it so I ordered a RockPedal and planned on getting the RB2 drums. I'm tempted to order the ION set, but I don't want to make the investment if I end up not into the drumming aspect of RB.

It is good to know they have gotten over that initial surge in demand at launch. I hate spending $90 on the RB2 set just to order the IONs a month later.
post #4757 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Is there anyway to know what your scores are on each difficulty?

I don't think so. The game doesn't really seem to track much besides the best solo score and the band's best overall score on a song. Hence, it's not possible to see one's best "Medium" score if one has outscored that score on "Hard", and they're not marked by difficulty anyhow. I say this because it's possible to do something like get 5 stars during the World Tour on a song playing "Easy", then get 3 stars playing "Expert", and the event will then be marked "Expert, 5 stars".

This is actually a downgrade in terms of functionality from the first game.
post #4758 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew View Post

How many stars did you need for Endless Setlist 2? Mine still says that I need more. I have reached Rock Immortal Status, but I skipped over most of the "Create-a-setlist" to have some spaces open for the "Diva" and her track selections.

Perhaps it goes against the whole idea of an "endless" setlist, but not being able to save is a deal-breaker for me. The "infinite" challenges might have a chance because you can at least save your progress.

I'm pretty sure you need 900 stars to have access to the Endless Setlist 2. If you're an achievement point junkie, apparently one of the secret achievements is "Bladder of Steel" : Complete Endless Setlist without pausing.
post #4759 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

I don't think so. The game doesn't really seem to track much besides the best solo score and the band's best overall score on a song. Hence, it's not possible to see one's best "Medium" score if one has outscored that score on "Hard", and they're not marked by difficulty anyhow. I say this because it's possible to do something like get 5 stars during the World Tour on a song playing "Easy", then get 3 stars playing "Expert", and the event will then be marked "Expert, 5 stars".

This is actually a downgrade in terms of functionality from the first game.


Yes, I don't like the fact that I can't easily tell what songs I haven't beat on Expert yet...
post #4760 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew View Post

How many stars did you need for Endless Setlist 2? Mine still says that I need more. I have reached Rock Immortal Status, but I skipped over most of the "Create-a-setlist" to have some spaces open for the "Diva" and her track selections.

Perhaps it goes against the whole idea of an "endless" setlist, but not being able to save is a deal-breaker for me. The "infinite" challenges might have a chance because you can at least save your progress.

You need something like 900 stars. If you click whatever button (pedal, on drums) to see the set list it will tell you how much more you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankrich View Post

Funny thing is I would have picked up the RB2 set had I just been able to find one at the local BB, CC, Target or Wal-Marts. I didn't drum much on RB1 and want to get back into it so I ordered a RockPedal and planned on getting the RB2 drums. I'm tempted to order the ION set, but I don't want to make the investment if I end up not into the drumming aspect of RB.

It is good to know they have gotten over that initial surge in demand at launch. I hate spending $90 on the RB2 set just to order the IONs a month later.

Do you not have the RB1 set anymore? I wouldn't buy either one if I were you. Use the first set to determine if you want to drum. If not don't buy em. There's really a small difference between the 1 and 2 sets. Fundamental drumming aspect isn't changed between the two, no reason to waste the money to find out if you like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiss View Post

I'm pretty sure you need 900 stars to have access to the Endless Setlist 2. If you're an achievement point junkie, apparently one of the secret achievements is "Bladder of Steel" : Complete Endless Setlist without pausing.

That's just insane to be a drummer for 84 songs straight. There's no way. You'd have to do one of the other instruments. The others you can at least move around intead of sitting the whole time.
post #4761 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

You need something like 900 stars. If you click whatever button (pedal, on drums) to see the set list it will tell you how much more you need.



Do you not have the RB1 set anymore? I wouldn't buy either one if I were you. Use the first set to determine if you want to drum. If not don't buy em. There's really a small difference between the 1 and 2 sets. Fundamental drumming aspect isn't changed between the two, no reason to waste the money to find out if you like it or not.



That's just insane to be a drummer for 84 songs straight. There's no way. You'd have to do one of the other instruments. The others you can at least move around intead of sitting the whole time.


The only reason I'd buy the RB2 drums is if you need the wireless functionality... I thought the drums would be much better, so I bought them, but really they are exactly the same, maybe a touch quieter... I'd take them back if I didn't need the wireless functionality...
post #4762 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

That's just insane to be a drummer for 84 songs straight. There's no way. You'd have to do one of the other instruments. The others you can at least move around intead of sitting the whole time.

The easier way to get it is to have a friend do it with you. Play on a difficulty both of you can easily handle, as you can't fail a song. And switch off when you need a break.

It takes about 6.5 hours, though.
post #4763 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankrich View Post

Funny thing is I would have picked up the RB2 set had I just been able to find one at the local BB, CC, Target or Wal-Marts. I didn't drum much on RB1 and want to get back into it so I ordered a RockPedal and planned on getting the RB2 drums. I'm tempted to order the ION set, but I don't want to make the investment if I end up not into the drumming aspect of RB.

It is good to know they have gotten over that initial surge in demand at launch. I hate spending $90 on the RB2 set just to order the IONs a month later.

I don't think there were ever any supply issues for the IONs. Everyone who preordered got them immediately and they listed the set as stock from day one.
post #4764 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

The only reason I'd buy the RB2 drums is if you need the wireless functionality... I thought the drums would be much better, so I bought them, but really they are exactly the same, maybe a touch quieter... I'd take them back if I didn't need the wireless functionality...

I disagree My scores have greatly improved from my RB1 set(shich had gum rubber mods and a self modded bass pedal(which is now attached to my RB2 unit). I find the new drum surfaces better at rebound than my gum rubber was and overall they feel right. I'd agree that there are some design issues(the two I've faced can be resolved with little issue) but overall the experience has been much better than the RB1 drums.
post #4765 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

I disagree My scores have greatly improved from my RB1 set(shich had gum rubber mods and a self modded bass pedal(which is now attached to my RB2 unit). I find the new drum surfaces better at rebound than my gum rubber was and overall they feel right. I'd agree that there are some design issues(the two I've faced can be resolved with little issue) but overall the experience has been much better than the RB1 drums.

I broke down and ordered the IONs from Amazon. They are in stock and overnight shipping was less than $13 so I'll have them tomorrow (standard shipping was like $8.50, how weird is that?). The $90 I would have spent on the RB2 kit I can put toward a throne since the recliners in my basement aren't at the right height to really play at.

I loved the drums in RB1 but I sprained my right ankle shortly after the game came out so I never went back to the drums at all. My kids will enjoy these too.

Now maybe a BD practice pad and some 7A sticks and I should be all set...
post #4766 of 12395
ok i wanted to wait to give my opinion until i have had time to play through most of the songs. this is the 1st harmonix game i was disappointed with. I usually don't pay too much attention to the songs they put in, because i usually end up enjoying the setlist anyways. But it seems like 75% of the songs i have no interest in ever playing again. there are a couple of bright spots (i am ready for a bon jovi song pack as DLC) but overall (i just play guitar, not alot of drums) everything is just a strumfest and boring. it seems like we are never going to get a game as good as Guitar hero 2
post #4767 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

ok i wanted to wait to give my opinion until i have had time to play through most of the songs. this is the 1st harmonix game i was disappointed with. I usually don't pay too much attention to the songs they put in, because i usually end up enjoying the setlist anyways. But it seems like 75% of the songs i have no interest in ever playing again. there are a couple of bright spots (i am ready for a bon jovi song pack as DLC) but overall (i just play guitar, not alot of drums) everything is just a strumfest and boring. it seems like we are never going to get a game as good as Guitar hero 2

I have only played RB2 on either hard or expert guitar and bass as well. What I noticed with many on the RB2 tracks is that alt-strumming was almost mandatory. Before I down-strummed whenever I could (I had always used the GH LP controller). I bought the RB2 Strat and alt-strumming became easier, but that doesn't change the fact that many of the tracks are "strum fests". I was thinking the same thing (that some of these songs seem to be meant for other instruments) as I played through lots of the new songs.

I feel some of you disappointment but also think of RB2 as more than the new tracks and a "keeper" of my DLC and RB1 tracks so I'm willing to overlook some of the content.

I'm different than most people on this thread, I actually like some of the "strum fests" PDA, Teenage Riot and Deluxe because I like the bands. But the lack of solos on some of them make me look forward to playing them on drums instead.
post #4768 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

ok i wanted to wait to give my opinion until i have had time to play through most of the songs. this is the 1st harmonix game i was disappointed with. I usually don't pay too much attention to the songs they put in, because i usually end up enjoying the setlist anyways. But it seems like 75% of the songs i have no interest in ever playing again. there are a couple of bright spots (i am ready for a bon jovi song pack as DLC) but overall (i just play guitar, not alot of drums) everything is just a strumfest and boring. it seems like we are never going to get a game as good as Guitar hero 2

well said, completely agree
I literally break into an immediate sweat, when playing Give it All and Everlong

too bad every song isn't as fun to play as Welcome Home *guitar*
post #4769 of 12395
So when I got RB2 a couple of weeks ago, I just took the default character, and didn't modify it at all. Now I want to edit my character a bit, but I come to find out that you are unable to change height/weight/eye color/etc.

So here is my question, If I create a new character, am I essentially starting over? Or can my new character just join my band... Basically I don't want to lose any of my progress in challenges/world tour... I think I'll lose all the $$$ I've earned so far though... Anyone know exactly?
post #4770 of 12395
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

So when I got RB2 a couple of weeks ago, I just took the default character, and didn't modify it at all. Now I want to edit my character a bit, but I come to find out that you are unable to change height/weight/eye color/etc.

So here is my question, If I create a new character, am I essentially starting over? Or can my new character just join my band... Basically I don't want to lose any of my progress in challenges/world tour... I think I'll lose all the $$$ I've earned so far though... Anyone know exactly?

In RB2 it doesn't matter - you can create a new character and keep on trucking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread