Originally Posted by calbear
I may take you up on your spare parts, as I have 5 of them sitting in their boxes ready to be installed. I hope I won't have your problems, but I have a feeling the odds are that I will encounter the same issues.
Judging by this thread
, the chances are pretty good, unfortunately.
You're welcome to the two I have if you ever need them. Shipping costs only.
I like the idea of having 1000 of my DVD's in the changers so that I can dedicate the RAID to just hi-def material.
That was one of my goals too, but I think you'll have better luck if you don't fully load the changers. It appears that if you load all 200 discs that the weight is just too much for the belt drive system and it will eventually slip just enough for things to get out of alignment, rendering the changer inoperable.
I do have the RAID, and it is about 2 Terabytes in size. I have considered upgrading all the harddrives to 1 Terabytes each so that I have 8 Terabytes. However, in order to do that, I need to ensure that the HTPC will be capable of running Blu-Ray and HD DVD, which means upgrading the processor to a Quad-Core, adding a new video card, and adding more memory.
Be sure that the OS is capable of recognizing RAID arrays larger than 2T. I just ran into some problems with Vista Ultimate (32-bit) in recognizing a 3.63T array (reports it at 1.7T) even though it's supposed to fully support the GPT format and volumes larger than 2T.
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of that one, but in the meantime, I'm running five Seagate 1T drives separately (wrong number of drives for RAID 1 even if I didn't mind the loss in storage space, and I wasn't willing to risk a striped/spanned scheme taking out all my data if one drive failed) and Media Center can "watch" multiple folders, so I'll be able to have the same ~1,000 movies available with no lag time and no menus.
BTW, be aware that the more changers you add, the more likely you are to have issues with synching. You will also have to turn off the changers if you reboot the system and then turn them back on in sequence to get them recognized properly, or at least that's what I found.
Good luck, and nice house.