or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Pioneer Elite DV-48AV as a cd player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer Elite DV-48AV as a cd player - Page 2

post #31 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

Thehun, yes you are correct, its now a transport where there diminishing returns. It sounded very close to my dv-48 but with some harshness. I'll also put wooden blocks underneath the transport to make it a fair comparison.

Looking forward to your comparison
post #32 of 118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post

Great, thanks. I just wanted to double check. Mine only says SACD Stereo with only L & R lit up.

Also, do you know the manufacture date of your dv-48? Mine is August 2007.

Edit:
I found out how to check the firmware revision.
This is easier to get than the manufacture date which is on the back of the unit.

Go to the setup menu > Initial settings > Options
Do not go into the sub menu
Hit the Display button on the remote.

OK when I put in Willie Nelson (stereo only) it shows up HDMI, L + R DSD-PCM and SACD Stereo. With Diana Krall (When I look in your eyes) I get HDMI, L+C+R+SL+SR and LFE.

If you press Stream Direct, this is also show on display as well as SACD Stereo or in multi-ch it will just jshow up as SACD. If you use any other adv surr./decoding the multi-ch will say SACD + PL+MV or something to that effect.

In both instances of loading an SACD disc, it will show up as SACD on dv-48 display but will not distinguish if its stereo or multi-ch.

Region : 1
Rom version : YGE7523B




Now as for the comparison, 24 hours of burning in and in my opinion the Oppo is still brighter than the dv-48. I have jumped back and forth between the two for each song and yes they sound almost identical, the DV-48 (to my ears) is just more musical, has lower depth, bigger body(??) and warmth.

Strangely though, I prefer the Oppo for SACD over the DV-48 on some "dark" material but when its bright, the DV-48 is better...
post #33 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

Craig, I'll check again later today but I'm pretty sure all the speakers light up on the 94 and the display says sacd multi-ch or somethign to that effect.

Thehun, yes you are correct, its now a transport where there diminishing returns. It sounded very close to my dv-48 but with some harshness. I'll also put wooden blocks underneath the transport to make it a fair comparison.

Wooden block? What will that do?
post #34 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

OK when I put in Willie Nelson (stereo only) it shows up HDMI, L + R DSD-PCM and SACD Stereo. With Diana Krall (When I look in your eyes) I get HDMI, L+C+R+SL+SR and LFE.

If you press Stream Direct, this is also show on display as well as SACD Stereo or in multi-ch it will just jshow up as SACD. If you use any other adv surr./decoding the multi-ch will say SACD + PL+MV or something to that effect.

In both instances of loading an SACD disc, it will show up as SACD on dv-48 display but will not distinguish if its stereo or multi-ch.

Region : 1
Rom version : YGE7523B

Thanks for checking. We have the same firmware revision. Well, it's in Pioneer's hands now. This is the reason I got the same brand player and receiver. They can't point their finger at the other guy.
post #35 of 118
Just got this player as a last harrah for my SACD and DVD-Audio discs, via HDMI I might add, and I am blown away by the sound. SACD via HDMI DSD sounds so smooth and detailed that I ended up listening to two full discs. Maybe I've been listening to too many MP3s, but the sound quality on this unit is exceptional.
post #36 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post

Great, thanks. I just wanted to double check. Mine only says SACD Stereo with only L & R lit up.

Also, do you know the manufacture date of your dv-48? Mine is August 2007.

I found out how to check the firmware revision.
This is easier to get than the manufacture date which is on the back of the unit. Go to the setup menu > Initial settings > Options
Do not go into the sub menu
Hit the Display button on the remote.

Craig,

I have ROM Version: YGE7523B and like you, I am unable to get multichannel SACD/DVD-A. I have the Integra 8.8 AVR, which has HDMI v1.3. The Integra sees the Pio 48 and displays "DSD-DIRECT" as it should. However, it only lights up L + R channels on the display and only outputs audio to the L+R speakers.

I have tried just about everything! I even found out how to change the SACD default layer in the "Options" menu (which was not obvious at all). You have to turn HDMI "Off" first in the "Digital Audio Out" section of "Initial Settings". This then allows you to change the "SACD Playback" to "Multi-ch Area". I was very excited at this discovery, only it didn't fix my problem

Hopefully we will find out what is wrong soon and one of us will post the solution!

Doug
post #37 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin View Post

Craig,

I have ROM Version: YGE7523B and like you, I am unable to get multichannel SACD/DVD-A. I have the Integra 8.8 AVR, which has HDMI v1.3. The Integra sees the Pio 48 and displays "DSD-DIRECT" as it should. However, it only lights up L + R channels on the display and only outputs audio to the L+R speakers.

I have tried just about everything! I even found out how to change the SACD default layer in the "Options" menu (which was not obvious at all). You have to turn HDMI "Off" first in the "Digital Audio Out" section of "Initial Settings". This then allows you to change the "SACD Playback" to "Multi-ch Area". I was very excited at this discovery, only it didn't fix my problem

Hopefully we will find out what is wrong soon and one of us will post the solution!

Doug

So get this!

You have to select the OUTPUT RESOLUTION to 1080i !!!!!

Why? I have no idea... Really! This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, and I did not find it anywhere in the manual. I suspect this is why Multichannel SACD and DVD-A is working for some and not others, simply due to how the Output Res is set!

Works perfectly now...

Hopefully this will help others.

Best,

Doug
post #38 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin View Post

So get this!

You have to select the OUTPUT RESOLUTION to 1080i !!!!!

Why? I have no idea... Really! This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, and I did not find it anywhere in the manual. I suspect this is why Multichannel SACD and DVD-A is working for some and not others, simply due to how the Output Res is set!

Works perfectly now...

Hopefully this will help others.

Best,

Doug

I also have firmware YGE7523B and I'm set to 1080P and all multichannel works perfectly. I just wish there was a way to show the bitrate while it is playing, as it only says 96KHz/24-bit 3/2.1
post #39 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin View Post

So get this!

You have to select the OUTPUT RESOLUTION to 1080i !!!!!

Why? I have no idea... Really! This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, and I did not find it anywhere in the manual. I suspect this is why Multichannel SACD and DVD-A is working for some and not others, simply due to how the Output Res is set!

Works perfectly now...

Hopefully this will help others.

Best,

Doug

Great find!!!!! I will give this a try and report back. Thanks. I thought of trying that just for kicks but I said "really, that should have no impact at all". So much for logic. LOL

Edit: it worked!!! It also works at 720p which I prefer since that is my TV's resolution.
Thanks again Doug.
post #40 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post

Great find!!!!! I will give this a try and report back. Thanks. I thought of trying that just for kicks but I said "really, that should have no impact at all". So much for logic. LOL

Edit: it worked!!! It also works at 720p which I prefer since that is my TV's resolution.
Thanks again Doug.


Craig,

I am very happy to hear you have it working now! That is great news!

So based on your experience and tvsurfer's, the Pio DV-48AV must have its HDMI resolution set to 720p or higher (1080i or 1080p). How weird is that!? Oh well, I guess as long as you have a high-def TV and know this trick, you are ok. I was setting my HDMI Res to 480p, so that my Integra 8.8 could upscale it using its Reon Video chip. Silly me

Enjoy!

Doug
post #41 of 118
Yeah, I think it's a bug. When Pioneer calls back I will report this.
post #42 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin View Post

I was setting my HDMI Res to 480p, so that my Integra 8.8 could upscale it using its Reon Video chip. Silly me

When I got to this menu, I almost picked 480i or P to let my Onkyo 905's Reon chip do all the work as well! I would have been confused as hell if I did. Good work guys! Hopefully Pioneer gets back to Craig with a good word.
post #43 of 118
Thread Starter 
Sorry guys I thought you had setup to at least 720p. Its mentioned I think in the manual and also in one of the forums here (but I could be wrong). But glad you guys got it working.

So what you think so far .... ?


As for the Oppo 980, its going back, its just way to lean and missing something in the bottom end and still bright to me.
post #44 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

Swerveddy, so true, if you just buy it for cd, SACD and DVD is a bonus. I let it play for a few days and it really has improved. I still cannot get over how good it sounds. I also had some blocks of wood lying around so I rested the player on top of it. A small but noticable improvement in the imaging. I also found before the player would vibrate quite a bit on some cd's. I'm going to caulk the inside of the player when I get some time.

Some folks have been looking at the Oppo and I had the 970, its no comparison to this player. I returned my Oppo a week after getting it, bass was very limited and the sound was lean.

I am so glad i found your post, it echoes my findings. I just finished packaging the Oppo too. The DV-48AV wins after a one week comparison and there are no HDCP handshake issues. Strangely the Oppo would not send sound out when a second disc was inserted, had to be powercycled to allow playback with my RX-V3800 without the PJ on.

Still, the Oppo is a very competent SACD player but even via DSD the Pio sounds better IMHO. For $50 price difference the choice is obvious for me.

What i stated above is stricly in reference to SACD material, sorry title said CD.

ADDENDUM: Read post at bottom and see the new developments.
post #45 of 118
Thread Starter 
BobPaule, funny you say that....I also found over the weekend that If I turned my projector on whilst playing with Oppo, sound would stop and would take a very long time to recover/handshake.

Glad to hear that others are finding the same results.

I would be interested in hearing what tweaks (if any) folks have done.


- wooden blocks
- maybe a better power cord (dont recall if it was detachable)
- cd-mat or ring (I have one but since using dv-48, have not tried it but will this weekend)
- putting weight on the player
- caulking the inside of player....same results as adding weight?
- setup changes in the Initial setup screen

Some might be thinking, well if you so happy with it why do you still want to tweak it? I am very happy with it, but if I can squeeze every little drop of performance from it, without spending too much on it (<$20) or use what I have lying around...why not ?
post #46 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

No need for bricks, mine is sandwiched between aht HD-A35 and DMP-BD30, my version of a true "duct-tape" multiformat player.

bobpaule

Could you offer your thoughts on SD DVD playback on this versus your A35 and BD30? I ask as those are the 2 players I have.

Mark
post #47 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapatton View Post

bobpaule

Could you offer your thoughts on SD DVD playback on this versus your A35 and BD30? I ask as those are the 2 players I have.

Mark

Sorry, i keep my SDDVDs (1200 of them) archived in an Escient controlled 3 megacarrousel sytem feeding the ReonVX in my HC5000 via component video. My wife will bring in the odd DVD from the library. I would say the A35 tends to do best, but very limited experience.
post #48 of 118
Greetings.....i cannot access several menu items while in the initial settings menu. They are "grayed out" and won't allow me to change anything. I have it connected to my vsx92 via HDMI. The manual is no help....it says that i must have a disc playing and to remove it, then change the settings. Well, I have no disc playing. could this be due to the HDMI connection??? Thanks for any help....
post #49 of 118
So, overall, what is the verdict on 48AV? Audio/Video/Features?

I wanna upgrade from my Pioneer 588a, 2yr old DVD player, mostly because it doesn;'t play CDs very well and doesn't upconvert...

46AV was reported to have many issues and not that great, so wondering if 48AV is an upgrade or not?

Oh, this would be hooked up to Pioneer Elite 72TXV!
post #50 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripppsta View Post

Greetings.....i cannot access several menu items while in the initial settings menu. They are "grayed out" and won't allow me to change anything. I have it connected to my vsx92 via HDMI. The manual is no help....it says that i must have a disc playing and to remove it, then change the settings. Well, I have no disc playing. could this be due to the HDMI connection??? Thanks for any help....

I have the 58AV and the digital out setup are grayed out when HDMI is connected. If I turn HDMI to off I am able to change the settings such as DTS and Dolby out. Speaker setting is also grayed out if HDMI is connected btw.
post #51 of 118
Thread Starter 
Try ejecting the disc and leave the tray open then go into the menus.
post #52 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripppsta View Post

FYI - I just got an answer back from Pioneer Support and they said no SACD over HDMI from either the 46 or 48.

The bonehead who talked to you was only interested in getting out by 5 PM.

DSD is sent over HDMI on the 48 (or 600 in 220v land) in bitstream ! The only other player in the world right now doing same is the Oppo 980.
post #53 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadgeek View Post

Thanks Neville and John,

I have been trying to figure this out for awhile. Do either of you know what type of D/A converters are in the 94? Since they are doing the processing, they probably have alot to do with how the setup sounds.

My receiver has HDMI 1.3 and Burr-Brown processors. I'm not sure which processors the 48 has but, I'm thinking they are probably not as good as the ones in my receiver. However, if the 94 also has the Burr-Browns the final sq results may be similar to Nevilles.

Thanks again...

My former Yamaha RX-V2700 had a Texas Instruments DSD1791 DAC which had a DSD passthrough mode for converting the DSD signal to a bipolar voltage, ie one conversion only from disc to amp. I am pretty sure the RX-V3800 i currently own has the same.
post #54 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripppsta View Post

Greetings.....i cannot access several menu items while in the initial settings menu. They are "grayed out" and won't allow me to change anything. I have it connected to my vsx92 via HDMI. The manual is no help....it says that i must have a disc playing and to remove it, then change the settings. Well, I have no disc playing. could this be due to the HDMI connection??? Thanks for any help....

I struggled with this too! Turns out you have to turn the HDMI Out "Off". Then you can change the grayed out settings. Then you need to turn the HDMI back "On". Terrible User Interface imho...

This was how I was able to get SACD to auto-select the MCH region/layer of a SACD, rather than just the Stereo region/layer.

Best,

Doug
post #55 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

DSD is sent over HDMI on the 48 (or 600 in 220v land) in bitstream ! The only other player in the world right now doing same is the Oppo 980.

The 58AV is capable of this too.
post #56 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

BobPaule, funny you say that....I also found over the weekend that If I turned my projector on whilst playing with Oppo, sound would stop and would take a very long time to recover/handshake.




- wooden blocks

Yeah, handshake because your receiver/preamp acts as "repeater", so yes when you introduce another equipment to the chain, it will force the handshake again. I've never heard of any optical player with HDMI connection, that wasn't affected by this. Are you saying that the Pioneer is not?


............and you still haven't explained of the use of the wooden blocks.
post #57 of 118
wooden blocks - especially maple - are recognized as a way to tweak sound...
lots of people use them for speaker stands, amp stands, turntable stands...

check mapleshaderecords dot com and look in the Audio Products page for info about maple stands

and, audioadvisor dot com carries Carda maple blocks - look in their Accessories/isolation section for them...

I'd post the links, but this is my first post, and I'm only allowed to post URLs after my third posting!!!


Cheers,

PeteH
post #58 of 118
DV-48AV bad news.

After my earlier post, one week into ownership, any resolution above 480i/p stopped working, the SACD DSD does not work in multichannel mode, and the manual and specs are subversive, because you have to read all the way to "Troubleshooting" to learn that the unit ONLY DOES 2 CHANNEL DSD !!!

Very sad, as apart from a few recordings most of my SACDs are 5.1.

So, although i enjoyed two channel DSD from my Fone and Telarc 2 channel only reference discs, i have to choose the Oppo, especially since the Pioneer has an HDMI handshake issue with higher resolutions which is not the case with Oppo.

I am curious to see how the DV-58AV will do DSD Multichannel.

Needless to say the command execution times on the player are BD/HDDVD-esque.

Sorry Pio Elite you are going back to ABT

I suddenly can live very comfortably with having to restart the Oppo when i insert a new disc. Oppo 980 is the keeper for me.
post #59 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

DV-48AV bad news.

After about one week any resolution above 480i/p stopped working, the SACD DSD does not work in multichannel mode, and the manual and specs are subversive, because you have to read all the way to "Troubleshooting" to learn that the unit ONLY DOES 2 CHANNEL DSD !!!

Very sad, as apart from a few recordings most of my SACDs are 5.1.

That's a damn shame. My 48 works well at 1080p, outputting DSD 5.1 via HDMI. The problem I have is when I tried a CD, the HDMI light is flashing and I get 5 seconds of sound, 3 seconds of silence, 5, 3, 5, 3. I'll check it out some more, but nothing I tried work, rebooting, swapping cables. If it keeps up, it's going back. Anyway, hope you don't have a problem returning it.
post #60 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

I am curious to see how the DV-58AV will do DSD Multichannel.

I only have a few SACDs but I can tell you that the Pink Floyd's multichannel DSOTM sounds great via hdmi for example.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Pioneer Elite DV-48AV as a cd player