or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 4

post #91 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euqruob View Post

Question, I am looking at the 888 and the Onkyo 705.


Does the 888 allow my 1080i input via component to pass through as 1080i?

Thanks!

I understand that the 888 is pretty much the same as the 2308ci. I plug our Canon HV20 HD camcorder into the 2308ci via component cables, then HDMI/DVI over to our HD TV - it comes through as 1080i just fine.
post #92 of 830
Cool, I'll check it out, Fry's has it for $599, and Fry's takes everything back if I don't like it.
post #93 of 830
Well, I bought the Denon. Had to buy another HDMI cable, did I listen to the salesman who wanted me to buy the $150 one? Hell no...I bought the $15 one, which works exactly the same...

Took a bit of time to install, and had to get some new speaker wire for a balky speaker. Have the cable installed via component, DVD burner/player via HDMI, and sat dish via component.

Did a audessy setup, need to do it again, as I think I didn't complete it right (didn't see the secret remote compartment). I am listening to a fantastic DVD audio which is in DTS 96/24 and is amazing (Frank Zappa Halloween, also FZ's Quaudiophrenia).

Only problem is that in looking at the remote codes, there is nothing for Vizio (TV), or RCA (DVD), Motorola (Cable), or Pansat (sat dish) 0 for 4.

Are there more codes out there?

Thanks!
post #94 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euqruob View Post

Only problem is that in looking at the remote codes, there is nothing for Vizio (TV), or RCA (DVD), Motorola (Cable), or Pansat (sat dish) 0 for 4.

Are there more codes out there?

Thanks!

If I was you, I'd buy a universal remote such as the Harmony 880 or the Harmony One. Then put the next to worthless Denon remote in a drawer.
post #95 of 830
Yeah, I figure that someday I will buy one, they are expensive as heck though!
post #96 of 830
Hi all,

I own a new 2308 and have a few questions, somebody might be able to help.

My setup is (basically): Sat -> (Component/Optical) -> 2380 -> (HDMI) -> Monitor

When using the Tuner, v.select (video source) does not work for the Satellite input (no picture, Tuner OSD remains). I suspect this is because 'Sat' is being upscaled to 720p and the Tuner is using OSD. So, can I turn off the Tuner OSD so that I can use v.select when listening to the radio? v.select works however for any source that does NOT have OSD from the 2308.

I can't get the Tuner OSD to work for Zone 2. Should I be able to?

HDMI won't sync with Sony Bravia monitor unless receiver is on and initialised _before_ the monitor. Any work arounds?

Thanks in anticipation.
post #97 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcnz View Post

Hi all,

I own a new 2308 and have a few questions, somebody might be able to help.

My setup is (basically): Sat -> (Component/Optical) -> 2380 -> (HDMI) -> Monitor

When using the Tuner, v.select (video source) does not work for the Satellite input (no picture, Tuner OSD remains). I suspect this is because 'Sat' is being upscaled to 720p and the Tuner is using OSD. So, can I turn off the Tuner OSD so that I can use v.select when listening to the radio? v.select works however for any source that does NOT have OSD from the 2308.

I can't get the Tuner OSD to work for Zone 2. Should I be able to?

HDMI won't sync with Sony Bravia monitor unless receiver is on and initialised _before_ the monitor. Any work arounds?

Thanks in anticipation.

DJMCNZ: I'm basically a newbie with the 2308 myself, but I did manage to get it working. When you say SAT - do you mean DirecTV SATellite? I kinda thought that the SAT input on the 2308 was for XM satellite service. I have an HD DirecTV Satellite receiver that plays very nicely with the 2308. When I first got the 2308 I didn't have HDMI cables, so I ran component cable to the 2308 and then HDMI back to the Sony HD Plasma TV. But I didn't hook up the component cables into the SAT jack on the 2308 - I plugged 'em into the "TV/CBL" input. And, I ran an optical cable for the audio into the TV/CBL optical input

That being said, if you DID mean the XM SAT service, then never mind the above, 'cause my drivel doesn't apply! :-)
post #98 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6JHB View Post

That being said, if you DID mean the XM SAT service, then never mind the above, 'cause my drivel doesn't apply! :-)

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I meant "Satellite Dish Input", as in just a standard AV input (Dish -> Set Top Box -> 2308 -> Monitor) as opposed to DirecTV or XM.

Basically, any AV input (including XBOX 360) demonstrates this behaviour on my setup.
post #99 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euqruob View Post

Yeah, I figure that someday I will buy one, they are expensive as heck though!

Just picked up a Harmony 659 for $45 shipped at Amazon (refurbish) but full warrantee it looks like new and it works great I love it.
post #100 of 830
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered my remote.

$45 is a much easier pill to swallow than $100+
post #101 of 830
does anyone know a good place online with a great price to get the AVR-888? PM me if u want, thanks
post #102 of 830
I have a question ... I am the owner of a Denon 2308ci that does not support Dolby TrueHD, DD+ and dts-HD Master Audio.
I want to purchase a Blue-Ray player either the Panasonic BD30 or possibly the BD50 which support this format. Now does this mean that the Blue-Ray player has the decoders and my problem will be solved???
post #103 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvette View Post

Now does this mean that the Blue-Ray player has the decoders and my problem will be solved???

Yep. The Blu-Ray will decode and the 2308 will pass it on. Just don't expect to see TRUE-HD light up on your Denon display. It will probably say Multi-Channel or something similar.
post #104 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin1974 View Post

does anyone know a good place online with a great price to get the AVR-888? PM me if u want, thanks

J&R has it for $599 plus they are an authorized dealer. I think it'd be tough to find an authorized dealer sell it any cheaper than that. I just got mine hooked up and am very impressed.....sounds great, tons of flexibility in setup & such, no disappointments. The remote is just ok but I just got a Harmony One to take its place (very cool remote btw!).
post #105 of 830
Has anyone experienced this one....

Just recently bought that AVR-888 and I do love it. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing one hiccup that's probably due to operator error!

I cannot get a video signal to display out of the front panel V.AUX video input (the RCA/composite video input). We hooked up a karaoke system to those inputs and are able to get the audio to be output fine but no video along with it. (checked the outputs of the karaoke system & they're working fine) I only use the HDMI monitor out to my Mits HC4900 projector. Manual says that the receiver is capable of this video conversion (composite video input -> HDMI output).

Any advice? Thanks much
post #106 of 830
I just bought this receiver and did the Audyssey EQ set up, and it turned out pretty well. However, I noticed that my center and main speakers still needed a little punch - they sounded a bit flat (Klipsch Synergy Series). When I went into Manual EQ to tweak it, I discovered that all of my speakers are set at 63hz, with the levels at 0. The levels sound okay, but as I change the frequencies, I don't seem to hear any difference. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to turn Audyssey off?
post #107 of 830
I have the 2308CI and I can't get the digital audio inputs to work. I have the Soundblaster SB0002 digital IO device with a coax coming out of the spdif out port goint into coax1 DVD/HDP assignable input. I went into setup menu and assigned audio input to coax1 for DVD/HDP. I've verified that good sound is making it to the SB digital I/O device but still no audio through the 2308ci , any help would be appreciated.
post #108 of 830
Okay someone here said that the Denon 2308CI doesn't support DD HD or DTS HD. Does it or doesn't it? Because I am thinking of getting this receiver as it's the lowest price point receiver with DTS/DD HD but I see mixed responses about it.

My other question is- Does this receiver have enough power to push the Klipsch Quintet 3 speakers?
post #109 of 830
the denon 2308 can play both dd hd and dts hd. it just cant decode them. that means you need a player that can decode them and send it to you amp decoded. i'm currently using a ps3 which decodes dd hd but not dts hd so i can only listen to one of the two. and i yes think that the 2308 can power those speakers w/out a problem. hope that helps.
post #110 of 830
Hey guys thanks for posting lots of information here. I'm looking at the 2308Ci and was wondering if the 888 is the better choice.

I'm looking for:

Analog/Component HDMI conversion

I want a decent quality component that will help me get rid of the rats nest of wires behind my TV and have a nice sound.

I went to Best Buy and I guess I didn't look into what I needed before I went. They sold me on Denon, but now I really need to know which fits my needs the best.

Is there a major difference between the 888/2308 and 2808. I don't mind spending a little more if the 2808 is the better piece.


Also where is the best place to buy? I don't want to have any issues and buy online and deal with "unauthorized resellers" so if somebody has a "you should buy it here" suggestion...I'd love it.
post #111 of 830
Well I just ordered the 2308 from 6th ave...good price. After I spoke with Denon I think the 2308 was my best choice. Just waiting for UPS ground to show up.
post #112 of 830
I just pick-ed up an 888, brand new at 25% off at BB. Just waiting for my cables from monoprice.
post #113 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomet View Post

Has anyone experienced this one....

Just recently bought that AVR-888 and I do love it. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing one hiccup that's probably due to operator error!

I cannot get a video signal to display out of the front panel V.AUX video input (the RCA/composite video input). We hooked up a karaoke system to those inputs and are able to get the audio to be output fine but no video along with it. (checked the outputs of the karaoke system & they're working fine) I only use the HDMI monitor out to my Mits HC4900 projector. Manual says that the receiver is capable of this video conversion (composite video input -> HDMI output).

Any advice? Thanks much

I haven't had this problem, but I did have some problems adding additional components (other than tv). Turns out the AVR-2308 was defective (see page 3). If you can't get it to work, take it back. There aren't many complaints about this receiver out there, but here are a couple... it's not user friendly and it's not immune to defects!
post #114 of 830
Need some help . . .

I just installed my AVR-888, did the Audyssey setup (as outlined in the user's manual), and am really dissapointed with the bass output to my Boston Acoustics Powered Sub. My old Yamaha had much better results. The output is way WAY lower with the Denon. I am hoping that I have something set wrong. I did notice that it was set like at -15 dB after the Audyssey setup. I am also noticing that the sub doesn't auto-sense the output as easily as the Yamaha did. I've got the output turned on in the Denon, low pass set to 250 Hz (highest posible). I was thinking of running Audyssey again with the sub gain at the lowest (or lower) setting - instead of half way (where the manual said to set it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon
post #115 of 830
Can someone tell me what the 'S' is on the display in terms of audio input?
post #116 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIAVS View Post

Need some help . . .

I just installed my AVR-888, did the Audyssey setup (as outlined in the user's manual), and am really dissapointed with the bass output to my Boston Acoustics Powered Sub. My old Yamaha had much better results. The output is way WAY lower with the Denon. I am hoping that I have something set wrong. I did notice that it was set like at -15 dB after the Audyssey setup. I am also noticing that the sub doesn't auto-sense the output as easily as the Yamaha did. I've got the output turned on in the Denon, low pass set to 250 Hz (highest posible). I was thinking of running Audyssey again with the sub gain at the lowest (or lower) setting - instead of half way (where the manual said to set it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

I had the same issue and I had to go in an manually bump the output on the sub up to where i could hear it. I'm still learning how to use the menus, but after i turned it up (I also re adjusted the actual sub output on it) it sounds great.
post #117 of 830
Does anybody know if there is a way to stop it from losing the signal when you switch channels on the cable box? If I browse it's fine but when I select a new channel it goes blank for a long period.
post #118 of 830
Can someone explain the door on the back of the RC-1080 remote?

I think if I had a better understanding of why the buttons on the remote are arranged the way they are I'd understand the functioning of the AVR-888. (of maybe not.)

Why do I have to open the door on the back of the remote to select the CD or Aux inputs? Seems an AVR would have that on the front side.

And what is the Source Control slider swtich section on the lower section of the front all about?
post #119 of 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by regfman View Post

Can someone explain the door on the back of the RC-1080 remote?

I think if I had a better understanding of why the buttons on the remote are arranged the way they are I'd understand the functioning of the AVR-888. (of maybe not.)

Why do I have to open the door on the back of the remote to select the CD or Aux inputs? Seems an AVR would have that on the front side.

And what is the Source Control slider swtich section on the lower section of the front all about?

Did you get a manual with your 888?
post #120 of 830
I have a new 888 and have spent the week fiddling with it. Despite this, I am unable to get a picture from cable box to my TV through the 888. I have read through the history of this group and noticed that there is a small but significant number of people who have had trouble getting video from HDMI1 or HDMI2 out HDMI3 to the TV. When I connect the cable box directly to the TV with HDMI, I have no problem seeing the video (I am not even trying to get audio at this point...) I have changed pretty much every setting I can see related to video, have switched the input from HDMI2 to HDMI1, with no luck. WHen I first turn on the system, I see a brief flash of the picture and then it goes blank and doesn't come back on. Acts a bit like a sync problem. Any help would be appreciated as my kids are about to kill me for not being able to make this work...

SI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread