or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Olevia 247TFHD Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Olevia 247TFHD Owners Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 1301


Not sure why that happened.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll forward the links to get those prices.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #62 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

Sorry for the multi-thread, but needed 3 posts before links would go through.

Here's some good info and links:

Extended Warranties for LCD Television What you Need to Know:
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdt...warranty.shtml

3-Year (Under $1500) Warranty:
http://cgi.*********/3-Year-Extended...QQcmdZViewItem

5-Year (Under $1500) Warranty:
http://cgi.*********/5-Year-Extended...QQcmdZViewItem

I've attached a PDF copy of the actual RepairMaster Service Contract for everyone's review.

I hope this will be viewed as valuable info to most of you with this TV, not to mention any others that you may wish to cover.

Enjoy your LCD's!

Those ************ links do not work
post #63 of 1301
Thread Starter 
Great post! Keep them coming

Question:
Should I add some of the links that people have been posting to the first post? This is my first "Owners" thread.

@Frankenstein,

The www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com has a link about "LCD Myths". One of them talks about the backlight. They say that Sharp LCDs backlights can be changed by the consumer. They also mention "cheap Korean/Chinese knockoffs". Since Olevia is not as wide known as The 3 S's (Sharp, Sony, Samsung), what would they consider Olevia?

So, it pays to buy name-brand displays. You will definitely pay more for better LCD display brands like Sharp, Toshiba, JVC, or Sony than you will for cheap Chinese or Korean variety knock-offs, but you'll get a backlighting bulb of higher quality and, in the end, a TV whose colors will stay truer longer.
post #64 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 View Post

Great post! Keep them coming

Question:
Should I add some of the links that people have been posting to the first post? This is my first "Owners" thread.

Sure good to have everything in 1 spot
post #65 of 1301
I got this set at BJ's on BF. Here are a few quick thoughts.

I don't think I see any dead pixels nor am I really trying to look for it. LOL. I am still trying to tweak the picture out of this lcd plugged through the hmdi connections of my cable box. Initially upon setup, my wife seem to think that the 42 inch Sceptre 720p lcd set we got from Costco a while back has a better and clearer picture.

I am not sure if the bigger screen size on the Olevia has anything to do with it. I tried making some adjustment through the Avia HT dvd disc under brightness and contrast and the picture did improve a little. Tint and color saturation was a little harder to understand so I fudged those. I may revisit that again later.

I used the native vs the 6500( recommended) for color temps which seem to brighten things up. I also left the "Idea" adj on.

After having it for a few days, I have to say that the set has grown on me and may be a keeper. The verdict is still out on that.

btw, does anyone have the universal remote code for this lcd set. It seems its so new that none of the ones printed on my cable remote brochure works.
post #66 of 1301
If you want to program a universal remote there are really only three choices that I'm aware of: 1) Harmony/Pronto remotes 2) A learning remote or 3) a JP1-enabled remote.

For those that aren't familiar, JP1 remotes allow you to create custom commands, macros etc. on a PC and then transfer them via a USB or parallel cable straight to the remote. I use the URC 8910 myself. If you have a lot of components or if you fancy yourself to be an amateur hacker, the JP1 remotes are useful and fun to play with. No to mention that they're much less expensive (even after buying the JP1 cable) than Harmony's/Prontos, etc. Best source of info on JP1 is:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/
post #67 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv_2002 View Post

I will be interested in your pictures as we are wondering about putting the TV above the fireplace. Wondering if it will be too high, etc. etc. I am assuming you ran the cables in-wall? or just run them along the fireplace?

Right now the cabling is a mess We are going to have an electrical and cable outlet installed behind the A/V equipment next to the fireplace. As far as video cables to the TV, I am just going to secure them to the wall/mantle, but they should hide fairly well. I'm too much of a weenie to poke any big holes in the drywall around the fireplace at this point. Pictures later! A sidenote, I wouldn't ever bother with a completely flat wall mount.. tilt mounts are excellent! I can't believe how easily this thing works.
post #68 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpals View Post

What speaker setup are you getting? This also is my first setup and I'm looking for a sound system to hook up with it.


I had the typical Sony receiver with DTS Surround, Sub, blah, blah, blah. All of my component cables went through the receiver (for sound processing) and the video cables went to my [old] CRT TV.

Now, since the Olevia does the sound processing and has coax and optical outs, I'm completely ditching the "home theater" setup and going with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System. It's smaller and has multiple audio inputs (coax and optical), so now I can run HDMI cables from my components and audio out to the speakers. They will be here the day after tomorrow, so I'll test, take pics and post.

And to be honest, the speakers on the Olevia are pretty darn good by themselves, but.....
post #69 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpals View Post

Slightly off topic, but hopefully not too much. I bought mine at BJs for $999 and opted out of the extended warranty. Was that a bad move and should I get an extended?

I got the extended warranty through BJ's also. At only $85.00 it seemed like a no brainer since the 2 year warranty starts after the 1 year warranty from Olevia ends so I get 3 years coverage.
post #70 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

I got the extended warranty through BJ's also. At only $85.00 it seemed like a no brainer since the 2 year warranty starts after the 1 year warranty from Olevia ends so I get 3 years coverage.

seems like a good bet even though better and cheaper sets are always is on the horizon.
post #71 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapow View Post

...
Now, since the Olevia does the sound processing and has coax and optical outs, I'm completely ditching the "home theater" setup and going with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System....

And to be honest, the speakers on the Olevia are pretty darn good by themselves, but.....

You may be disappointed then to find that this Olevia doesn't pass 5.1 digital audio, at least not from the ATSC and QAM tuners. I don't know if anyone has mentioned/tested whether 5.1 input over HDMI gets passed through the digital audio outs.

It's not a stopper for me since I've only got a stereo setup for this TV, and I agree the built-in speakers are pretty good as built-in speakers go (some of the iDiva audio modes are interesting and give a high level of simulated "surround" sound, though often accompanied by really insane levels of echo or reverb).

I think we need to let their tech support know about these problems, early and often. I already sent them an e-mail about some of the issues I've seen so far, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'll likely try calling them on the phone before my 30-day window expires.
post #72 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRP View Post

Right now the cabling is a mess We are going to have an electrical and cable outlet installed behind the A/V equipment next to the fireplace. As far as video cables to the TV, I am just going to secure them to the wall/mantle, but they should hide fairly well. I'm too much of a weenie to poke any big holes in the drywall around the fireplace at this point. Pictures later! A sidenote, I wouldn't ever bother with a completely flat wall mount.. tilt mounts are excellent! I can't believe how easily this thing works.

I'm hoping to only have to make a couple of holes in the wall to pass all of the wires from on top of the fireplace down to where I'm going to put everything. I also have to run a power line up there, but I'm pretty good at patch stuff up and have ripped holes in walls before to add lighting etc. Just want to do the wires once, so will probably put 2-3 HDMI, 1 VGA, 2 composite, and some other stuff...
post #73 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiot1985 View Post

You may be disappointed then to find that this Olevia doesn't pass 5.1 digital audio, at least not from the ATSC and QAM tuners. I don't know if anyone has mentioned/tested whether 5.1 input over HDMI gets passed through the digital audio outs.



Damn. It never occured to me that the digital audio wouldn't transfer through. well, it's already on the truck, so i'll just see what happens...
post #74 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapow View Post

Damn. It never occured to me that the digital audio wouldn't transfer through. well, it's already on the truck, so i'll just see what happens...

Just to clarify the limitation, digital audio does come through the digital out as 2 channel audio. I tested only the coax, but I someone else mentioned the same behavior occurring on both the coax and optical outs.
post #75 of 1301
Thread Starter 
Not to downplay your concern, but isnt 5.1 best when watching movies? Most movies are on DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay or via a cablebox/sat box, correct?
post #76 of 1301
Does anyone else have "backlight bleeding" that is not limited to just the corners? I have some moderate bleeding in about 20% of the screen including the top/middle and lower right corner, both clouds extending 8-10 inches into the center. Think I may have gotten a bad panel. My clouding issue seem more than what I have been hearing here, which I could live with
I am letting the screen run straight for 48 hours to see if that helps any. does anyone have any suggestions to minimize the bleeding?
Regards,
Mike
post #77 of 1301
5.1 audio is pretty common on most HD broadcasts, in addition to Blu-Ray, HD-DVD etc. My 537H passes 5.1 to my receiver. I'd imagine that the 247 will be able to do this as well with a firmware upgrade, although it's a pretty glaring omission that should have been caught before the product's release.
post #78 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by orty228 View Post

... does anyone have any suggestions to minimize the bleeding?
Regards,
Mike

What "Lighting" mode are you using? It seems that using "Dark Room" reduces the problem, I assume by reducing the backlight level.
post #79 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 View Post

Not to downplay your concern, but isnt 5.1 best when watching movies? Most movies are on DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay or via a cablebox/sat box, correct?


Absolutely. If the TV outputs the 5:1 out the optical or coax for dvd's/hd-dvd's or my Wii, I'm golden. I don't care about regular shows.
post #80 of 1301
Has anyone noticed that the blacks turn purple or bluish even when you move 10-20 degrees off center in a dimly lit room?

Other than this black issue I love this set but I do not know if I can live with this issue. Oh, and yes I am using the DARK ROOM mode. Black Enhance just crushes black so that is not an option.
post #81 of 1301
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapow View Post

Absolutely. If the TV outputs the 5:1 out the optical or coax for dvd's/hd-dvd's or my Wii, I'm golden. I don't care about regular shows.

Well, I mean that if you had a dvd/hd-dvd player or game console, you would output the audio directly from the player to the receiver, skipping the TV.
post #82 of 1301
when I display my info in the screen, I see the resolution 480p or 1080i and the 60mhz which I guess is the refresh rate. Do this go any higher or is that the default for this set?
post #83 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude450 View Post

when I display my info in the screen, I see the resolution 480p or 1080i and the 60mhz which I guess is the refresh rate. Do this go any higher or is that the default for this set?

I think this info is in the manual. The TV can accept some signals with a higher refresh rate, but I'd guess its native/optimal refresh rate is 60Hz (not MHz :-).
post #84 of 1301
Thread Starter 
I currently have my Xbox 360 hooked up via Component cables displaying 1080p. Do you think it would be worth getting an HDMI cable or will the video quality be noticeably better?
post #85 of 1301
Can you update the first post with everything people have said to make the picture look its best... I am getting this TV from the store tomorrow and woudl love to have a list of all the right ways to configure it to give me the best possible picture
post #86 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude450 View Post

seems like a good bet even though better and cheaper sets are always is on the horizon.

Speaking of warranties, I found this interesting article about the olevia warranty compared to other brands. Good read about the warranty. Not sure if this still holds true, but the article was posted in july this year.

hdguru.com/?p=107

*sorry it won't allow me to post a link until I post at least 3 messages.
post #87 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 View Post

I currently have my Xbox 360 hooked up via Component cables displaying 1080p. Do you think it would be worth getting an HDMI cable or will the video quality be noticeably better?

From what I understand about the 360 (just got mine this weekend), is it only upscales for DVDs via HDMI or vga. I could be wrong about this (all very confusing), but I read this in the xbox forums.
post #88 of 1301
Has anyone tried sending a PAL signal to the 247TFHD yet? We know that the 747i will play PAL. Lets see if the 247TFHD will too.
post #89 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 View Post

I currently have my Xbox 360 hooked up via Component cables displaying 1080p. Do you think it would be worth getting an HDMI cable or will the video quality be noticeably better?

First of all, the Xbox 360 will upscale DVDs only via HDMI or VGA hookup.

Secondly, I don't know how much of an improvement the HDMI is, but it's supposed to be the best. No worries, there are some great deals on HDMI cables online:

3ft black HDMI cables from Monoprice - $4.49 (about $10 total with shipping and taxes)
6ft white HDMI cables from buy.com - $10 (free shipping)


I ordered the monoprice cables a few days ago, they're on their way. The buy.com deal might be good only for today, they normally sell for $40.
post #90 of 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by argeleri View Post

Speaking of warranties, I found this interesting article about the olevia warranty compared to other brands. Good read about the warranty. Not sure if this still holds true, but the article was posted in july this year.

hdguru.com/?p=107

After reading that article, and all the backlight issues here, it makes me want to return this tv before it even gets here. Ah well, it will be delivered on Thursday then I'll have a month to look it over myself and decide if I want to return it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Olevia 247TFHD Owners Thread