Here's the setup:
- DST-50 set for 16x9 display.
- Component output connected to HDTV.
- SVid & composite outputs connected to 4x3 monitor.
- Tune in 1080i program (haven't tried with 720p, but I expect the same behavior).
- Toggle through display options using "Aspect" button on remote.
But wait, you say, this has no effect when the program is Hi-Def! That's right. It will have no effect on the Hi-Def output
! However, the 4x3 display will cycle through various choices including (ta-da!) letterboxed
Now you can use a 4x3 preview monitor without sacrificing proper picture geometry. (I use a combo Samsung LCD which has RGB, S and Composite inputs, so I can have preview and computer output on one 15-incher.)