or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 52

post #1531 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

after a period of inactivity the files are automatically removed. Here is the v1.0 avchd exe file...


thanks !!!
post #1532 of 3881
What's the difference between 1.0 and 1.2? I've been beating my head against a wall the last few days trying to get AVCHD to work on my BD-P1500. Saw the link here to the older version this morning and gave it a try and it worked.
post #1533 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

What's the difference between 1.0 and 1.2? I've been beating my head against a wall the last few days trying to get AVCHD to work on my BD-P1500. Saw the link here to the older version this morning and gave it a try and it worked.

As I recall:
  • the disc is now 24p
  • some new patterns added, of which the resolution charts are the only ones I've looked at
  • minor changes to the old patterns

During the OPPO BDP-83 beta period one of the new versions did not work and required a firmware upgrade to restore operation, but I don't know the details of what they did.

-Bill
post #1534 of 3881
Are you guys still using the "AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray, HD DVD, & MP4 Calibration" successfully....the post started in 2007. Im looking for a great DVD(blue-ray)calibrater that will help my Sony XBR4
post #1535 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtae5656 View Post

Are you guys still using the "AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray, HD DVD, & MP4 Calibration" successfully...

Yes.

-Bill
post #1536 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

What's the difference between 1.0 and 1.2?

They're authored in different ways, and the patterns are arranged differently. Thanks for the reply. It's possible that a future version might fall back to the previous authoring method.
post #1537 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

I have pretty much most of the bars flashing in the 'Contrast' setting, except may be four or five to the very right not visible, is this mornal, if not, what else shoudl I be aiming at? Many thanks.

That's probably acceptable. What's normal will generally depend on the display. My display will typically show all the bars, and my parent's CRT for example would generally only show a few bars above white. Anyway if you can see bars to white, and maybe a couple bars above white, that seems reasonable.
post #1538 of 3881
I noticed something odd last night while using AVSHD (v1.0?) to calibrate my Pioneer KRP-500M http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU....KRP-500M.Kuro.
This model has a separate memory location for each input and for each resolution on each input.

Here's the strange thing: I was calbrating the display using AVSHD with a Sony BDP-350 set to 1080p and YCbCr 4:4:4. All of my RGB settings were saved during grayscale calibration. However, when I return from the 10% windows to the AVSHD main menu, the display switches to a separate memory location with my default values for that input. If I select any of the patterns from the main menu again, it uses my saved calibrated values.

Is there something different about the main menu that would cause the display to see a different signal and use a different memory location? The main menu and the sub menu patterns both show up as 1080p in the 500M's signal info display.
post #1539 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

I noticed something odd last night while using AVSHD (v1.0?) to calibrate my Pioneer KRP-500M http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU....KRP-500M.Kuro.
This model has a separate memory location for each input and for each resolution on each input.

Here's the strange thing: I was calbrating the display using AVSHD with a Sony BDP-350 set to 1080p and YCbCr 4:4:4. All of my RGB settings were saved during grayscale calibration. However, when I return from the 10% windows to the AVSHD main menu, the display switches to a separate memory location with my default values for that input. If I select any of the patterns from the main menu again, it uses my saved calibrated values.

Is there something different about the main menu that would cause the display to see a different signal and use a different memory location? The main menu and the sub menu patterns both show up as 1080p in the 500M's signal info display.

The menus are MPEG2 and the patterns are AVC, but I don't know how the display would know that. All are encoded at 24p.

-Bill
post #1540 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The menus are MPEG2 and the patterns are AVC, but I don't know how the display would know that. All are encoded at 24p.

-Bill

Thanks Bill, that helped me figure this out. I am using the previous AVSHD version 1.0, and it looks like the menu is encoded 1080/60 and the patterns are 1080/24 - or at least that is how the Sony Blu-ray is handling it when it is configured for 24p or "Auto". And the Kuro senses the switch between 24 and 60 and uses a different memory location.
post #1541 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

Thanks Bill, that helped me figure this out. I am using the previous AVSHD version 1.0, and it looks like the menu is encoded 1080/60 and the patterns are 1080/24 - or at least that is how the Sony Blu-ray is handling it when it is configured for 24p or "Auto". And the Kuro senses the switch between 24 and 60 and uses a different memory location.

I think the menus are at a different frame rate because of the authoring software we used. Alluringreality probably knows for sure.
post #1542 of 3881
AVS HD 709 v1_2b is not compatible with the Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray player's latest firmware update 2.5 v2, it was compatible with Firmware 2.4, that is on my player. AVS HD v1 is still compatible so long as 24 fps is switched off in the Samsung Display menu.

This I believe has been reported by others.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16350908

Is the reason due to a different type of authoring of the AVS HD disk, or due to a codeing error by Samsung, or does one need to set the player a certain way? I tried fps on and off but no joy.

The strangest part is that when calibrating from the new Samsung firmware the settings are markedly different, actually better, with less problems with Gamma, with the Epson 6100 PJ. Why this would be I have no idea.

It would be great in the download section if they could make available older versions. I believe someone thinks that v1.2, not version b, will work, if such a version exists; does any one have a copy?

Thank you to those that reply.
post #1543 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

I think the menus are at a different frame rate because of the authoring software we used. Alluringreality probably knows for sure.

I burned the 1.2 version and that resolved the issue - both the menus and patterns display @ 24. Thanks!
post #1544 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

I think the menus are at a different frame rate because of the authoring software we used. Alluringreality probably knows for sure.

Could this be why some BluRay players (like the Panasonics) are not able to output the latest AVS HD patterns at 24p ??? So far, I've been able to get 24p on all BluRay movies and all DVD's I have played. The AVS HD disc is the one and only exception.
post #1545 of 3881
is there a step by step guide on how to use AVCHD 1-2B DOWNLOADED AND BURNED OK to disc but cannot see any instructions on how to use it,
its for use on my z2000 and ps3
post #1546 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1976 View Post

is there a step by step guide on how to use AVCHD 1-2B DOWNLOADED AND BURNED OK to disc but cannot see any instructions on how to use it,
its for use on my z2000 and ps3

See the Patterns document linked at the bottom of the first post.

-Bill
post #1547 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

So far, I've been able to get 24p on all BluRay movies and all DVD's I have played. The AVS HD disc is the one and only exception.

The Panasonic not playing 24p with HD material on DVD media has been reported on doom9. I believe the reports were that the Panasonic will play as 24p from writable Blu-ray media. The last time I checked, there was no solution found by people that own the players for this item. Considering other players will play AVCHD as 24p and the video seems to be part of the standard, without anything else to go on, I have to assume this is specific to the player(s).
post #1548 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpooldad View Post

AVS HD 709 v1_2b is not compatible with the Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray player's latest firmware update 2.5 v2, it was compatible with Firmware 2.4, that is on my player. AVS HD v1 is still compatible so long as 24 fps is switched off in the Samsung Display menu.

The v1.0 AVCHD was completely authored with commercial software, and the v1.2 AVCHD involved AVCHD-Patcher. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:


I believe someone thinks that v1.2, not version b, will work

The only difference with the original v1.2 was that it had some empty folders included that were removed with the b version. Some of the Samsung players have been reported to act differently depending on empty folders, yet the v1.0 and v1.2b AVCHD should have the same folders, so I can't expect that the original v1.2 would work. If you want to create the original v1.2 disk, just use imgburn 2.4.2 (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Downlo...gburn-242.aspx) to burn the files to a new disk. That version of imgburn was automatically adding empty folders.
post #1549 of 3881
frankie here from uk
thank you
post #1550 of 3881
I am having trouble getting these tests to work on my Denon-3800BDCI. I successfully downloaded the HDDVD-v1.2.7z file, decompressed the file into an .iso file, and burnt a DVD-r disc on my mac using Disk Utility.

However, the player will not play the DVD. What format should I be using to successfully create and burn a test HD DVD to play on my Denon BD.
post #1551 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert5545 View Post

I am having trouble getting these tests to work on my Denon-3800BDCI. I successfully downloaded the HDDVD-v1.2.7z file, decompressed the file into an .iso file, and burnt a DVD-r disc on my mac using Disk Utility.

However, the player will not play the DVD. What format should I be using to successfully create and burn a test HD DVD to play on my Denon BD.

If you have a Blu-ray player, then you need the AVCHD version, not the HD DVD version. That should fix it.
post #1552 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert5545 View Post

I am having trouble getting these tests to work on my Denon-3800BDCI. I successfully downloaded the HDDVD-v1.2.7z file, decompressed the file into an .iso file, and burnt a DVD-r disc on my mac using Disk Utility.

Like hwjohn commented the HD DVD version will not play on your Blu-ray player, but I don't think that Denon is AVCHD compatible. The version that your player might play is HDMV. Below is a link for you to download, decompress, and then burn like described in http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-o...isc-251758.php

7-zip compressed HDMV .iso for DVD media with UDF 2.5 formatting:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3djxhn
post #1553 of 3881
alluringreality,

Thank you for your reply. Downloaded updated ImgBurn 2.4.4, had 2.4.2,
tried re-burning on to DVD-R, but still no joy on the Samsung BD-P2550, with latest firmware 2.5., as stated 2.4 worked fine.

Are there any settings that should be changed in ImgBurn's preferences?

Thank you
post #1554 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpooldad View Post

tried re-burning on to DVD-R, but still no joy

What I was talking about was burning the files from the previously created disk to a new disk. When you do that version 2.4.2 of Imgburn should probably ask if you want to burn with UDF 2.5 formatting and it will add the empty folders. To do this your computer has to be able to read the UDF 2.5 formatting, and some operating systems can do that and others need additional software. The only difference between the original burned iso and the procedure is that you would end up with some extra blank folders, for example the root would have both BDMV and Certificate folders instead of just BDMV. Odds are that the procedure wouldn't work, but reburning the BDMV folder to disk with 2.4.2 would effectively recreate the original unedited v1.2 disc.

At this time the current plan is to revert back to the v1.0 authoring software for the v1.3 AVCHD. There are some reasons that I prefer the v1.2 authoring software, but it seems that the procedure used to create the current AVCHD isn't as compatible as the v1.0 method. It is possible that two AVCHD versions might be offered for v1.3, but it's too early to say so the main plan is to revert back to the v1.0 authoring for compatibility reasons. Basically the new AVCHD would work like v1.0, but with the pattern layout used in the v1.2 release (HCFR and CalMAN sections). I figure it will take two or three weekends to put all the correctable items I'm aware of in order, so the plan is for an updated release within the month.
post #1555 of 3881
Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to calibrate my 40B6000 using this disc, my PS3, a EYE ONE Display 2 and HCFR colormeter, and of course the DUMMYS tutorial.

I can't calibrate successfully the greyscale because on the tutorial it refers to a pattern that I can't find.

Does anyone can give me a pattern to calibrate the grayscale?

Like the ones used om Part 6 of this http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Thanks
post #1556 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasgg View Post

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to calibrate my 40B6000 using this disc, my PS3, a EYE ONE Display 2 and HCFR colormeter, and of course the DUMMYS tutorial.

I can't calibrate successfully the greyscale because on the tutorial it refers to a pattern that I can't find.

Does anyone can give me a pattern to calibrate the grayscale?

Like the ones used om Part 6 of this http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Thanks

The patterns used there in the Curt Palme guide are the same as on the AVSHD disk in the HCFR windows section labeled as 5% or 10% grayscale. As I recall, 10% gray is the second pattern in the HCFR group; 5% is at the far right of the first row. The AVSHD patterns are a series of gray patterns at each level. So to follow Curt's advice, you choose the 10% grayscale and forward step through the patterns until you get to 80%. After you set the balance there, you step backwards through the patterns to 30% and adjust the low end, etc.
post #1557 of 3881
I'm just looking into calibrating my home projector system and I've stumbled on a problem.

I had planned to use the MP4 files via my Popcorn Hour (NMT) but I had problems playing the files in the ColorHCFR directories. The files in the Main Menu directory worked fine. I poked around and tried changing the PH's color space to 0-255 and then the ColorHCFR directory files played fine, but my actual videos broke.

Any suggestions? Can I calibrate the screen in one setting and watch in another? Will that lead to some problem or should I just not attempt to use the Popcorn Hour to stream the files??

Pointers highly appreciated!
post #1558 of 3881
alluringreality,

Thank you for your quick reply. I look forward to Version 1.3, so I will keep calibrating for the moment with Version 1.0.

Some persons are having problems with the Samsung Firmware update Version 2.5. If they want to revert back to 2.4 here is a link that explains where and how to get these and other firmware versions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16039436

Hope this helps others
post #1559 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post

The patterns used there in the Curt Palme guide are the same as on the AVSHD disk in the HCFR windows section labeled as 5% or 10% grayscale. As I recall, 10% gray is the second pattern in the HCFR group; 5% is at the far right of the first row. The AVSHD patterns are a series of gray patterns at each level. So to follow Curt's advice, you choose the 10% grayscale and forward step through the patterns until you get to 80%. After you set the balance there, you step backwards through the patterns to 30% and adjust the low end, etc.

Thanks for your reply, but, my problem is in fact that patterns, the ones in DVE have some RGB bars on the side for me to do by visual, not looking to the numbers, that process could be more easier for me, instead looking for the x,y numbers changing. I'm not in the mood for buying the DVE, so I thought someone could have a pattern like those seen on that tutorial.

Regards
post #1560 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

Could this be why some BluRay players (like the Panasonics) are not able to output the latest AVS HD patterns at 24p ??? So far, I've been able to get 24p on all BluRay movies and all DVD's I have played. The AVS HD disc is the one and only exception.

Sorry, missed this.

It could be, try v1.2, it has 24p menus.

It could also be that the player only supports a subset of the allowable frame rates for AVCHD and that 24p is not one it supports. Just a guess.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration