or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - Page 72

post #2131 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniabsence View Post

On Basic Pattern 3 - White clipping Pattern; while I am altering the contrast, I am supposed to see the flashing bars below 235 start to disappear. But they aren't. They do get darker/brighter but they remain there as plain as ever from setting 0 to setting 100.

What am I missing?

For adjusting Contrast (= White Level), you are supposed to look for changes above 235 (= Reference White Level = 100%).

You are trying to make sure that you can see (as a minimum) everything between Reference Black (= 16 = Video Black = 0%) and Reference White (= 235 = Video White = 100%). It sounds like you mis-read the instructions.
post #2132 of 3881
Is it a pattern to use with Chromapure in this disc or it is only for use with Calman and HCFR?

Federico
post #2133 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico View Post

Is it a pattern to use with Chromapure in this disc ...

All the patterns you need are on the disc but they aren't in the order required by ChromaPure. It might be simpler to use the ChromaPure disc.
post #2134 of 3881
I noticed something odd on the sharpness and overscan pattern with my PS3/LN32B650. There were some 'jumping' black pixels in the top right and bottom left of the pattern, notably near the 100% gray square text and near the many "AVS HD 709" text labels. When I hit pause on the PS3, it disappeared completely or froze (depending on when I hit the button) but when I resumed playback the 'jumping' black pixels returned. What could be the source of this and should I be concerned? Obviously, I can only see this with my face right near the screen and haven't noticed it occur anywhere else (although it could be occuring elsewhere on the pattern and with other material).

EDIT: I noticed the exact same behavior with my Xbox 360/LN32B650 and with a DMP-BD85K/TH-42PZ80U. I'm now convinced the problem is either with the test pattern itself or the DVD burning process I used. (Xbox used MP4 files only while the BD players used the patched version.)
post #2135 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Since the behavior changes when the player is paused, it is likely in the video encode. The video is not perfect, and we have simply tried to limit issues that would affect the purpose of the included patterns. For the sharpness pattern the main concern was to try to keep edges clean between different colors or shades.
post #2136 of 3881
I do not have a DVD/Blue-ray player and was wondering if it is still ok to copy the downloaded mp4 file to my USB flash memory stick and then play the video file on my Philips 7404. The mp4 video plays fine on the TV but I am not sure if this is a valid way to calibrate as in the instructions of this thread it states that this is intended for HD video players.

(I did a search of this thread before posting the above).
post #2137 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Since the behavior changes when the player is paused, it is likely in the video encode. The video is not perfect, and we have simply tried to limit issues that would affect the purpose of the included patterns. For the sharpness pattern the main concern was to try to keep edges clean between different colors or shades.

That's fine. I was initially concerned that there was something wrong with my LCD panel until I checked the same pattern on my PDP.
post #2138 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaski View Post

The mp4 video plays fine on the TV but I am not sure if this is a valid way to calibrate as in the instructions of this thread it states that this is intended for HD video players.

Basically what matters in this sort of situation is the playback chain, or the different devices that you're using for playing video. If you play mp4 on the TV you're calibrating for how the TV will play mp4 video; you're looking at how the TV will likely handle other mp4 video that you play on it. While it would be nice if all devices matched in a absolutely expected way, that's not always the case, and different devices in the playback chain may not match in how they handle video. If you often play HD mp4 on your TV then that might be worth checking out, but instead if you mainly use the TV for watching video from a DVD player the mp4 results may not be relevant. The simple answer is to choose a video source (DVD, Blu-ray, etc...) that it similar to the sort of video that you expect to watch, and play it on the same chain of electronics you will likely use. If you are more likely to play a DVD on a DVD player than to play HD mp4 on the TV, it would probably make sense to use something like Avia II (or other calibration DVD).
post #2139 of 3881
Sorry for the noob question, but I recently bought a Panasonic TC-P58S2 Plasma mainly for gaming and occasionally watching some blu-ray movies. I see the MP4 download in the initial post is supposed to work on the 360 (and possibly the PS3 as well?).

I don't really intend to do any advanced stuff (like I said, pretty much a noob) but would like to do some basic calibration for my new TV. If I run the Basic Settings MP4 on my 360 or PS3, is this an appropriate way to calibrate my picture for gaming or should I be trying something else? ? I do own both a PS3 and 360, but I'm guessing if I run the calibration on 1 system the settings will work fine for both of them?
post #2140 of 3881
Thread Starter 
There is some discussion on this forum that questions if games are necessarily produced on calibrated monitors in the same way as done for movies, and personally I use a higher brightness for the games I play than what I use for watching movies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3stuff View Post

If I run the Basic Settings MP4 on my 360 or PS3, is this an appropriate way to calibrate my picture for gaming or should I be trying something else?

One complication is that I believe the PS3 has two settings that affect output levels, and it may be possible with some settings that video playback might not match games. For the Xbox I think output levels are only affected by the "reference levels" setting and video playback should match with games.


Quote:


I do own both a PS3 and 360, but I'm guessing if I run the calibration on 1 system the settings will work fine for both of them?

If both are set for video levels then it's possible they may match, but generally it's best to test each device to try to verify how they are operating. Both systems allow for settings other than typical video levels, so it's not a given that may would match. I think YCbCr and RGB limited are the settings that output video levels on the PS3, and Reference Levels set to standard should give you video levels on the Xbox. By default video levels will be what most TVs are set to expect (except VGA input), rather than computer levels (Xbox expanded setting).
post #2141 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

There is some discussion on this forum that questions if games are necessarily produced on calibrated monitors in the same way as done for movies, and personally I use a higher brightness for the games I play than what I use for watching movies.

One complication is that I believe the PS3 has two settings that affect output levels, and it may be possible with some settings that video playback might not match games. For the Xbox I think output levels are only affected by the "reference levels" setting and video playback should match with games.

If both are set for video levels then it's possible they may match, but generally it's best to test each device to try to verify how they are operating. Both systems allow for settings other than typical video levels, so it's not a given that may would match. I think YCbCr and RGB limited are the settings that output video levels on the PS3, and Reference Levels set to standard should give you video levels on the Xbox. By default video levels will be what most TVs are set to expect (except VGA input), rather than computer levels (Xbox expanded setting).

Thanks for the clarification. I think I will try seeing some of the default settings on my TV first before trying these calibrations.
post #2142 of 3881
First of all: thanks for providing such an excellent guide and the appropriate charts!
For a newbie, I was getting quite far, I guess, in adjusting my new Panasonc VT20 using a Quato DTP94B, that I have purchased this week and the ColorHCFR Software.
But now I am starting to have questions, about whether the achieved results are really proper - you'll see, why these questions rise up, if you look at the gamma-measuring results. Shouldn't the colour-gammas be somewhat more linear???? And: how I can improve things even further (for example, I do have a CMS including a 10-step Gamma Control for each colour in my Onkyo PR-SC5507 AV-Preamp).
So, here are my charts from the first calibration, using just the Panasonic's controls, and I hope, that someone will be able to explain that a bit more or give me links to some more reading. Thanks for bearing with me, and again, thanks for providing things here
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #2143 of 3881
Addendum for my previous post: I was using the Onkyo PR SC 5507's controls to adjust things a bit more. I was using it's Gamma control - it is providing separate 10 control steps for Red, Green and Blue. I was able to dial in colour temperature and the Delta values a bit more, but I was loosing proper gamma for the individual colours, as you can see, especially in the 50 -90 % range.
Plus: Adjusting things was really hard, since the steps, that these gamma controls are providing, do not seem to be linear. They are named "0" to "9" and you might think, that they correspond to the 10% IRE greyscale charts, which they don't. Steps "0" to "4" seem to correspond to something between 5% and 30%, the higher ones seem to provide controls between 50% and 90% IRE.
It was all a play of mere guessing and trying (anyone who knows more about the 5507 controls: please jump in on this!!!).
I just had the change to call up the greyscale "windowed" charts and tried to adjust things in a way, that within the ColorHCFR-Software, the small RGB-"picture" in the lefthandside (the little red, green and blue "towers") was producing 100% for each colour for each of the 10% charts.
So, this is how far I could get, here are the corresponding charts. CIE-chart is still off, as you can see, and I am not sure, whether I achieved any advantage over the first calibration, escpecially, when looking at the sacifices of the "Luminance"(?????) and the (don't know how to call it) "RGB Gamma" Chart"....
Any advice is more than welcome....
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #2144 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdr View Post

the ColorHCFR Software.

Generally http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=786966 is used for this sort of discussion. Gamma is worse on the second set, green falls-off more near 100% and there's a larger hump centered around 30%, so I would go with the first set.
post #2145 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdr View Post

.. how I can improve things even further (for example, I do have a CMS including a 10-step Gamma Control for each colour in my Onkyo PR-SC5507 AV-Preamp).

I cannot find in the Onkyos's user manual where it can adjust the CMS.

Now, to better adjust the gray scale and gamma I think you have to get the contrast down first and try to adjust again to have a linear green.

Federico
post #2146 of 3881
I found this topic today. Great download & thread!

Here's my question:

I do not have a receiver with hdmi inputs, so I have each device connected to a different input on my Mitsubishi 60737 (Sony Blu-Ray, DirecTV HD DVR & Wii). I use a programmable remote to switch everything.

I know how to use the disc for the Blu-Ray input.

After I calibrate the Blu-Ray input section, should I just copy the settings to the DVR input section? (The TV remembers different settings for each input.)

Or - Should I temporarily connect the Blu-Ray to the input I have the DVR on to calibrate that one......
post #2147 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Given the situation, there's not really a clear-cut answer. You could compare the inputs against each other if you want, but that alone doesn't necessarily give any idea if the display is calibrated for a standard input. Testing each input like that would just confirm if the inputs match.

What you're doing when you calibrate for the Blu-ray player is calibrating to that single source. If the player happens not to be outputting standard levels, then your settings will also be off from standard in order to compensate. If you have other HDMI devices you could see how they compare against each other on the same input to get an idea if the Blu-ray player is likely outputting standard levels. Personally the players I have all seem to match so I assume that they're all outputting standard levels, but there have been reports that not all Blu-ray players output standard levels with default settings. Anyway where I was going is that there may be a bigger chance of the player being off from standard levels than the inputs not matching, so if you want to assume the DVR will be outputting standard video levels it might be worthwhile trying to check if the Blu-ray player is outputting standard levels.
post #2148 of 3881
Who is the genius that used 7zip to compress these files?

Mac users will find downloading "rucksack" is a quick and simple way to uncompress these...
post #2149 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

Given the situation, there's not really a clear-cut answer. You could compare the inputs against each other if you want, but that alone doesn't necessarily give any idea if the display is calibrated for a standard input. Testing each input like that would just confirm if the inputs match.

What you're doing when you calibrate for the Blu-ray player is calibrating to that single source. If the player happens not to be outputting standard levels, then your settings will also be off from standard in order to compensate. If you have other HDMI devices you could see how they compare against each other on the same input to get an idea if the Blu-ray player is likely outputting standard levels. Personally the players I have all seem to match so I assume that they're all outputting standard levels, but there have been reports that not all Blu-ray players output standard levels with default settings. Anyway where I was going is that there may be a bigger chance of the player being off from standard levels than the inputs not matching, so if you want to assume the DVR will be outputting standard video levels it might be worthwhile trying to check if the Blu-ray player is outputting standard levels.

Thanks. I really appreciate the download, and I made some changes to my settings as a result.

I used the settings from my BR input on my DVR input, and tweaked it a little by eye. I also have the HDNet test pattern set to tape.

Thanks again.
post #2150 of 3881
I tried burning the calibration disk to dvd-R. ISO file. Disk is fine, but I get incompatible disk error from new Panasonic Dmp-BDT350.

I am probably doing something silly, but hopefully someone here has an easy answer.

Thanks, Robotten
post #2151 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Who is the genius that used 7zip to compress these files?

Mac users will find downloading "rucksack" is a quick and simple way to uncompress these...

7-zip provides exceptional file compression capabilities, better than any program out there. This makes for the smallest possible files when compressed.

So whoever chose 7-zip for compressing the files in this thread was very smart indeed.
post #2152 of 3881
I have a Sharp BD-HP24U blueray player. I dont see it in the list of BD players on the first page. I am hoping to use a DVD option to do the calibration. Does it mean, it will not work on my player? please let me know. thanks
post #2153 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkfl View Post

Sharp BD-HP24U

The website does not list AVCHD. You could try the AVCHD or Patched version, but I wouldn't bet either playing based on the early Sharp models. The model information does list BD-R and BD-RE, so I have to guess that HDMV would play.
post #2154 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotten View Post

Panasonic Dmp-BDT350.

Based on the Panasonic site, I have to figure either AVCHD or HDMV should work. On previous models Patched also worked.


Quote:


I am probably doing something silly, but hopefully someone here has an easy answer.

Silly would probably be burning the iso onto the disc instead of creating the disc from the iso. If you have access to a computer running Vista or Windows 7 (recent OS other than XP) you should be able to view the disc contents, and the disc should include a BDMV folder. The best option I've ran across for checking a disc is Brasero on Linux, but I'm not sure of a Windows or Mac program that will likewise give an MD5 for a burned disc.
post #2155 of 3881
Might be a dumb question but instead of burning the mp4 to a disk, can i just stream it to the PS3?

Thanks
post #2156 of 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

Might be a dumb question but instead of burning the mp4 to a disk, can i just stream it to the PS3?

Thanks

Yeah. I stream it to my 360.
post #2157 of 3881
thanks for your reply alluringreality. I went ahead and burnt a DVD, it worked fine in the Sharp BD player.
post #2158 of 3881
This has probably already been covered but I did a couple of searches and didn't quite get what I'm looking for.

I would like to stream this content from my Windows 7 PC to my PS3. I downloaded the HDMV version but the PS3 sees that only as a hundred seperate files. Is there a way to make this stream as if it's a disc?
post #2159 of 3881
Thread Starter 
The general recommendation would be to play the video here in the same manner that you will be playing other content. I did a couple google searches and it appears the PS3 can stream HD content from Blu-ray, but the workarounds did not seem to be using the disc authoring. Based on the top few google results it does not appear the PS3 can do what you were asking about.
post #2160 of 3881
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkfl View Post

thanks for your reply alluringreality. I went ahead and burnt a DVD, it worked fine in the Sharp BD player.

If you give the version (AVCHD or Patched) that worked I'll add it to the list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration