or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - Page 128

post #3811 of 5201
IR is more visible when the screen brightness is set high.

I believe those that don't see it have set their sets to low brightness and just don't see it because of that.
post #3812 of 5201
This is getting blown out of proportion. Yes Panasonic Plasmas seem to be more prone to IR, but Cnet's test was pretty much a torture test.

Panasonic is clearly the more popular brand around here so there's bound to be more reports of IR issues. What about the hundreds or thousands of people that don't have IR issues?
post #3813 of 5201
I fail to see why we need a separate thread to discuss an issue that is already being discussed in several other threads.confused.gif
post #3814 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

This is getting blown out of proportion. Yes Panasonic Plasmas seem to be more prone to IR, but Cnet's test was pretty much a torture test.

This review was not a 'torture test'.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps60e6500-ps51e6500-201207262022.htm?page=Performance
post #3815 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

I fail to see why we need a separate thread to discuss an issue that is already being discussed in several other threads.confused.gif


Because it's preferable for the powers to be to bury the problem in a separate thread with a 127 pages about it.
post #3816 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

aren't settle and break-in are the same thing?
the phospers have to age at least 500 hrs.

Not sure where you're getting the 500 hours figure from - any search will either talk about 200 or 150 for the newer plasmas. The technology today is better than that of 10 years back. Burn-in is almost non-existent. Image retention, can and will happen on plasma but would be temporary.

From my research (only) - no, settling and break-in is different. Break-in allowing the tv to run at lower settings so that excessive brightness/contrast don't burn the exponentially ageing phosphors in colors .. as people and techies have confirmed .. the exponential age/burn almost peaks at around 150-200 hours .. you can then turn up the brightness/contrast .. and it could take any number of more hours to settle in the new calibration but there won't be any noticeable difference in picture (not like you'll see a sudden change on the 501th hour) but i would agree that you might need to tweak your settings in a few months for a reality check. Also since the initial phosphor burn has now peaked, any bright image/logo - extended display of static picture/emblem etc won't permanently burn in. Or at least that's what we hope for smile.gifsmile.gif
post #3817 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned View Post

Pixel orbiter was turned on. The game was an FPS with fixed HUD elements. I ran the wow disc pixel flipper overnight, and I could swear it made things worse. It makes me ill even to look at it. frown.gif

Oh yeah man .. i know how it hurts when you see something wrong with your tv and it reflects in other viewing material .. you feel like throwing it away and getting a new one .. or just doing something to fix it!

Did you try running the break-in images? Just google it .. its a set of full hd images in the RGB shades. My friend had a similar problem (on his 2009 plasma) and he had run the DVD (with the same images) on it for about a week or so .. all gone after that. I'd run it off a USB because if the dvd gets stuck you'll end up with 1 color image for a long time (say if you went to sleep or something).

I think it should go away .. will take its time.

That's why i dont play fps games.. only car racing and a few others .. hehe tongue.gif
post #3818 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

This review was not a 'torture test'.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps60e6500-ps51e6500-201207262022.htm?page=Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

This review was not a 'torture test'.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps60e6500-ps51e6500-201207262022.htm?page=Performance
And, what's your point? David doesn't classify the Panasonics as being bad. Yes you might see some IR on solid colored screens, but so what? It will fade fairly quickly.

Some people are just too paranoid about IR. As I said, it varies from panel to panel but generally shouldn't be a problem unless you actually make an attempt to look for it. Some panels seem to get IR very easily, but I would classify those as being a faulty panel. Several of us Panasonic owners have no issues with IR.
post #3819 of 5201
So if you leave a fairly bright static image on the screen for an hour, how long would it take to go away? I use an HTPC, so any image retention would be visible.

Michael
post #3820 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

This is getting blown out of proportion. Yes Panasonic Plasmas seem to be more prone to IR, but Cnet's test was pretty much a torture test.
Panasonic is clearly the more popular brand around here so there's bound to be more reports of IR issues. What about the hundreds or thousands of people that don't have IR issues?

Add me to this camp. I have a 2011 Panasonic ST30. No problems with IR. If I do a long Marathon run of something like ESPN, History Channel or True TV with their bright opaque logo's, I sometimes notice IR on a sold commercial background that fades in literally a few seconds. Nothing has ever lasted longer then 5 or 10 seconds I'm guessing. I have never stop watched it. I don't worry about it at all. Image quality is awesome.
post #3821 of 5201
I think it's time for a new Part III sticky on this topic since so much has changed, some links in the first post lead to no where and I believe it is scaring more people than informing them.
post #3822 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

This is getting blown out of proportion. Yes Panasonic Plasmas seem to be more prone to IR, but Cnet's test was pretty much a torture test.
Panasonic is clearly the more popular brand around here so there's bound to be more reports of IR issues. What about the hundreds or thousands of people that don't have IR issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyislesfan View Post

Add me to this camp. I have a 2011 Panasonic ST30. No problems with IR. If I do a long Marathon run of something like ESPN, History Channel or True TV with their bright opaque logo's, I sometimes notice IR on a sold commercial background that fades in literally a few seconds. Nothing has ever lasted longer then 5 or 10 seconds I'm guessing. I have never stop watched it. I don't worry about it at all. Image quality is awesome.

+1 from a GT50 owner. I have yet to see any IR from a seated position, however football preseason is about to begin on Thursday here, sooo... we shall see- eh? I will honestly report what I see or don't see.
post #3823 of 5201
So I bought a 55gt30 and was scared to use the thing too much to cause burn in. I installed the luminance patch, firmware update and broke it in not with slides which I still don't know what is, but with full screen programming. It's been 6 months and everything semi static on ESPN is burned in. The geek squad guy came in today to see what he could do. He said every plasma will burn in and there is pretty much nothing you can do to prevent it. What is going on here. There is no way this product can be like this. Panasonic does not cover burn-in in their warranty. Doesn't this sound like a problem in of itself? I've read everything on here and need a little reassurance. The picture on this GT30 is the best I've seen.
post #3824 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hake0015 View Post

So I bought a 55gt30 and was scared to use the thing too much to cause burn in. I installed the luminance patch, firmware update and broke it in not with slides which I still don't know what is, but with full screen programming. It's been 6 months and everything semi static on ESPN is burned in. The geek squad guy came in today to see what he could do. He said every plasma will burn in and there is pretty much nothing you can do to prevent it. What is going on here. There is no way this product can be like this. Panasonic does not cover burn-in in their warranty. Doesn't this sound like a problem in of itself? I've read everything on here and need a little reassurance. The picture on this GT30 is the best I've seen.
Is the image retention visible during normal viewing or only on solid color screens? How long have you been able to see it and has it gotten any better?
post #3825 of 5201
I understand that setting contrast and brightness to 50% is one of the steps in the breakin process. Do you start the breakin process in the "out of the box" mode or do you use a different setting?

Thanks.
post #3826 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenuf View Post

I understand that setting contrast and brightness to 50% is one of the steps in the breakin process. Do you start the breakin process in the "out of the box" mode or do you use a different setting?
Thanks.

Nobody has an answer?
post #3827 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenuf View Post

Nobody has an answer?

Out of the box mode is to hot thats why the try at 50 settings but to set it up correctly you can pay to have a calibrator do it or you can pick up DVE,WOW or Spears&Munsil disc and start setting the picture you can also download and burn AVSHD.
post #3828 of 5201
Thank you!
post #3829 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenuf View Post

I understand that setting contrast and brightness to 50% is one of the steps in the breakin process. Do you start the breakin process in the "out of the box" mode or do you use a different setting?
Thanks.

There should be a mode equivalent to "Movie" in almost all TV's, you should first switch to that mode and then lower the contrast/brightness. This mode is closest to the true representation of colors an actual movie/scene would look like. Everything else i feel like is a PC Monitor picture which is not how TVs should look like!
post #3830 of 5201
My understanding of the break in process calls for a 50% reduction in the contrast a brightness. This proceedure is completely different: http://allhighdef.com/2011/01/05/general-plasma-hdtv-break-in-procedure/

Please review and comment.
post #3831 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenuf View Post

My understanding of the break in process calls for a 50% reduction in the contrast a brightness. This proceedure is completely different: http://allhighdef.com/2011/01/05/general-plasma-hdtv-break-in-procedure/
Please review and comment.

Correct.

But in the post/link above, the poster is asking you to run the slides/break-in image at a "dynamic or vivid" picture setting, but watch normal tv with a reduced brightness/contrast. The idea is to age the phosphors in the plasma evenly .. running constant color slides at a high setting will do that evenly .. whereas running it on high setting for normal tv content will not age it evenly and you have the chance of the odd logo being burned in accidentally .. so watching normal tv at reduced settings would not promote burn-in or image retention or uneven ageing of plasma phosphors ..

Cheers!
post #3832 of 5201
Hi to all. I started today the burn-in process on my Panasonic TC-65PST30. Because I was unable to find a blank dvd at home what I did was to download the .jpg colors from a website that have them in .iso, in .jpg format and for S-VCD and put in on a SD Card. What Im not sure its if those .jpg do the same job as for the .iso DVD.

Second is that the burn-in images files has 20 different .jpgs. I beleive is 5 tones of grey, 5 of red, 5 of green, and 5 of blue. But there's no full white and full black jpg. Are those 2 colors not necessary?

Third; I setup the slideshow to change pics every 30 seconds; its that ok or just I should setup to change pics after 15 secs or 1 min?

And last: My settings are standard; so CATS are OFF, Contrast and Brightness was 50; but I lowered it to 45; All other stuff are OFF like NR, Motion, etc... ITs that ok?

Thank you very much in advance.
post #3833 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemetal77 View Post

Correct.
But in the post/link above, the poster is asking you to run the slides/break-in image at a "dynamic or vivid" picture setting, but watch normal tv with a reduced brightness/contrast. The idea is to age the phosphors in the plasma evenly .. running constant color slides at a high setting will do that evenly .. whereas running it on high setting for normal tv content will not age it evenly and you have the chance of the odd logo being burned in accidentally .. so watching normal tv at reduced settings would not promote burn-in or image retention or uneven ageing of plasma phosphors ..
Cheers!

Thanks for the response. My concern is running the slides in the "Vivid" mode which is contrary to other proceedures I have read.
post #3834 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

This is a real pisser. Custom mode with Contrast initially set to 75, then after 2 weeks reduced to 50.

I've had my Panny 65GT30 since the first of February. The IR (I'm hoping that is all this is and not burn-in) that you see (bar just below the top of the screen and above the bottom) is from Morning Joe on MSNBC. I watch from 6-7:15 M-F, and the longest time before a commercial break is 20 minutes. That I would get IR so easily when there are lots of commercial breaks is really puzzling. Hours on end of continual bars I can see, but not when the image is often changed. And this is an off-white bar, not a bright, bleached, white bar. I have an '03 Panny plasma that has never given me an IR problem and I did everything, except play games, to that thing from the very beginning. So far I've run the Disney WOW for 4 consecutive hours and no change. I'll run it all day tomorrow to see if I can get rid of it. From what I've read I understand it can take some time to remove this. I hope.

It appears that in the 3 months since I made that post, the IR is slowly, and I mean slowly, receding. Being as I had the panel calibrated a week prior to the initial post, I was reluctant to run a white screen or patterns for hundreds of hours to try and eliminate the IR. I decided to watch TV as I normally do and let time run its course. Hopefully, by early next year the remaining IR will be gone.

One thing I do every morning when I watch Joe, being as this is where I aquired the IR, is to turn the setting to standard, which really darkens the screen. I’ll do this until the IR is gone.

The left pic is from May and the right was taken yesterday.

Dave-2.jpgIMG_3875-1.jpg
post #3835 of 5201
hey guys i know you guys probly hear this question every day but im going to be buying the Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50 this week or next. i do not have cable because i just moved.Do you recommend using a break in dvd like http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks in advance
Edited by SHOWM3URBO0BYZ - 8/28/12 at 10:36am
post #3836 of 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWM3URBO0BYZ View Post

hey guys i know you guys probly hear this question every day but im going to be buying the Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50 this week or next. i do not have cable because i just moved.Do you recommend using a break in dvd like http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks in advance
I have two Panasonic plasmas (one from 2006 and one from 2010) and didn't do anything special with either of them except to keep brightness and contrast to about 50% for the first 100 hours. I've never had a problem with persistent image retention or burn-in. They get IR, all plasmas I've seen do, but it's never been visible with normal viewing and it fades quickly so it's never been an issue for me. I really don't understand why people get freaked out by a little IR when you can only see it on a blank screen and don't notice it with normal viewing. Enjoy your new TV.
post #3837 of 5201
thanks yeah plus what i like about it is that it has the ant retention feautere doesnt really bother me as long as it goes away. I was also reading that some plasmas will shift set pictures around a couple pixels automatically. and for the first 100 hours are you supposed to keep it on for 100 hours or split it up ?
post #3838 of 5201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

I fail to see why we need a separate thread to discuss an issue that is already being discussed in several other threads.confused.gif

Which thread are you referrng to? All burn in, IR should be posted here as this is the official, sticky thread for this topic.
post #3839 of 5201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I think it's time for a new Part III sticky on this topic since so much has changed, some links in the first post lead to no where and I believe it is scaring more people than informing them.

I don't think there is a need for another sticky on this topic, we can edit previous posts to keep this current. I have edited the first post to take out the link to the old Panny information.
post #3840 of 5201
So i final got my 55VT50, this tread had me on the edge of my seat. But i started the day it was setup and had the DVD started as soon as my first power on.

THen after 5 hours had to see a blue ray. Wow This is 1000 better looking the the 2 LG6700 i had to replace because of bleeding.

No IR or Burn in after watching. So back to multi color. I wake up to change the setting back. I had it on Vivid.

Then i went to a high THX, i could see the Menu's but i had to get really close. So i no worries. Left the Color Burn-In for about 8 hour while i went to work. Someone was home for any emergency.

But now it gone. Im try to leave low and high for burn in. I hope it works. But wow out of the box it looks amazing. I cant wait until hockey and all sport start.

Thank again to every one who made this process allot easier. I learn allot in this thread even thou it made me nervous top.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only