or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › A Mac and Windows Movie Wallpaper GUI Generator for Media Players
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Mac and Windows Movie Wallpaper GUI Generator for Media Players - Page 4

post #91 of 1051
Thread Starter 
I just downloaded the .zip and have version 0.52 running under OS 10.5.1 on a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. So, the archive seems to be okay.

A MacBook Pro is about the last thing I'd expect to have trouble running it.

Time to ask the usual suspects....

1. Try making a new user account seeing if it runs under a generic account.

2. Temporarily disconnect external drives and volumes and see if that makes a difference.

3. Firewall? I doubt this is the problem since it is fine even even with the firewall set to only essential.

4. Failing the above fixing things, the next thing I'd do is let Onyx do its "automation" routines (also with maintenance scripts and clearing all caches)

Beyond that, I'm perplexed.

Oh.... Might be worth first downloading a fresh copy of the .zip and trying with a new copy.
post #92 of 1051
Everything was working great until I downloaded the latest version. Now, I can't edit the image in the render window, such as rotate the image, or move it. Whenever I try to click on the render window, it makes that "swoosh" sound as if it is rendering and saving.
post #93 of 1051
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

Everything was working great until I downloaded the latest version. Now, I can't edit the image in the render window, such as rotate the image, or move it. Whenever I try to click on the render window, it makes that "swoosh" sound as if it is rendering and saving.

Sorry to hear that. Try version 0.56. I've redone how some things are handled internally so the program should be more reliable.

Also added mechanism for dealing with bad preference files. If the program just won't launch correctly, hold down the option key as the program starts. You'll hear a beep and the program will load known good, default settings. (That's the Alt key for PC people). This lets you get around a bad or old preferences file without needing to search it out manually.

Note: Under OSX, I have noticed that some movies are very difficult for the program to automatically grab text and cover art. The program can hang or crash. Ironically, there doesn't seem to be that issue on the PC side.
post #94 of 1051
Thanks guy for the suggestions... I made a new generic login, and it worked under that login. Then I switched back to my login, and suddenly it would work. go figure. This was using the latest release (I think .55).
Awsome program, thanks for all the hard work.
post #95 of 1051
Hi All, is there a way we can change the green highlights when navigating on the system? I would like to change this color if possible.

Thanks,
Dave
post #96 of 1051
Thread Starter 
Version 0.58 has important bug fix for Amazon Assisted mode. Prior versions could take interminable time or crash when certain specific movies were requested. Usual time to obtain synopsis text & cover art and then render is about fifteen seconds.
post #97 of 1051
First of all, thank you for such a great program, I love it.

I only have one issue, with the more recent versions, it crashes everytime I try to paste my own art. If I allow it to automatically paste text and pictures, it works fine. But whenever I hit the "paste cover art, render & save" button, the program crashes. (therfore, i've reverted back to build 0.35b, which doesn't crash when I use that button).

Any ideas on how I can get around this, because I like the new interface much better. I'm on vista if that matters.
post #98 of 1051
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffyj View Post

....whenever I hit the "paste cover art, render & save" button, the program crashes..... I'm on vista if that matters.

Good catch. It wasn't happening under OSX. It appears to be due to a difference in event firing order between the two platforms.

Version 0.59 should fix the crash under Windows when a manual paste is performed. Up on the server now.
post #99 of 1051
Version 0.59 works perfectly, I no longer have any issues pasting cover art. Thanks again!
post #100 of 1051
Thread Starter 
Glad it fixed the program for you.

Version 0.60 now provides much smoother upper and lower edges for cover art as it is rotated. Antialiased the jaggies away.

(Comcast servers are intermittently down. So there may be some temporary trouble with the download links)
post #101 of 1051
Excellent!
So now you got time to add grabbing and displaying of the "Run time" as displayed by Amazon.

One can always make a wish...
/J
post #102 of 1051
Thread Starter 
What ARE you doing with the runtime anyway? I decided to go with a wallpaper GUI because the library got large enough that I couldn't reliably recall the films by title. The addition of cover art and synopsis is for jogging my memory. Beyond that, my DVD cataloging software on the Mac does a far better job at keeping stats and info than the TViX ever will.
post #103 of 1051
hi

maybe a dump question, cna i change the image background of the soft, not the cover art.
make and past my own one.

tks
post #104 of 1051
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromo View Post

hi

maybe a dump question, cna i change the image background of the soft, not the cover art.
make and past my own one.

tks

Create a 720 x 480 size JPEG file and name it background.jpg. Place your background.jpg in the same directory as my application. The next time you start the program, your background.jpg will be used instead of the built-in background. (This is in the about.pdf instructions)
post #105 of 1051
Guy--is there any particular reason why your software has to be on the Tvix unit? I have it in a separate file on my PC, and it all appears to be working fine. But I have seen a couple of times you mention having your program on the Tvix.

Thanks.
post #106 of 1051
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

Guy--is there any particular reason why your software has to be on the Tvix unit? I have it in a separate file on my PC, and it all appears to be working fine. But I have seen a couple of times you mention having your program on the Tvix.

Thanks.


No. There isn't any need for my program to be on the TViX. It's just a program which runs on your computer and generates files for use with the TViX. If I seemed to indicate that it needed to be in the TViX itself, then that was a misunderstanding.
post #107 of 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post

What ARE you doing with the runtime anyway? I decided to go with a wallpaper GUI because the library got large enough that I couldn't reliably recall the films by title. The addition of cover art and synopsis is for jogging my memory. Beyond that, my DVD cataloging software on the Mac does a far better job at keeping stats and info than the TViX ever will.

Hehe, yeah, maybe it isn't obvious.
I'm not interested in the full stats of the movie, just the length. It helps me decide what to watch depending on how late in the evening it is. I usually don't want to start watching a 2 ½ hour movie 9.30 PM a week day.
If the info is in the wallpaper it's easier to find that by just using the Tvix remote.

With old WIB-T I did like this:

I'm not sure if the position is the perfect match on that pic. It ends up under the path if I remember correct. It should give you an idea though.

But I looooooooooooooove the autofetch feature of your program.
Anyway. It's just a suggestion.

br
/J
post #108 of 1051
Thread Starter 
I think that positioning is possible with some work. The trick is in adding that field without breaking the rest of my program. Possibly could do it by having an option to automatically take the last line of text in the synopsis and render it at the bottom. That would save me from building a new mechanism for storing another text field.
post #109 of 1051
Actually where you put the text I have no opinion about. What I'm hoping for is that you would add the option to parse that from Amazon i the auto-fetch-process...

The text can be at the bottom of the image (or any other nice place) or just as a new line of text, last in the currently rendered synopsis field.

Like:
The Movie
Blah blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah
Length: 167 min

Or if you prefer the term "Run time" as used by Amazon.

/J
post #110 of 1051
Thread Starter 
Version 0.61 adds an option under "Amazon Assisted" (On the advanced pane) to enable automated parsing of run time. Run time is appended at the end of the obtained synopsis.
post #111 of 1051
Wow! Now that's what I call service
post #112 of 1051
You're faaaaast Guy!

Big thank's for the whole application and "my" feature!

/J
post #113 of 1051
Thread Starter 
It was a much simpler thing to add once you reemphasized that you really didn't care where the run time was displayed
post #114 of 1051
Hello ..
NIce progress u make with the prog .
Is it possible to add genre to it ? u know comedy drama and so .
Would be really great .
post #115 of 1051
Excellent initiative!

Just invested into the Popcorn Hour A-100 and felt the need for a GUI-generator.

Is it possible to adapt this version to provide HTML output-files as well?

I am currently browsing for similar initiatives and of none are found, I guess I'll make a .NET application for this.

The movie-folder, ISO, jpg, etc structure is applicable for that as well.
One difference would be to generate a main HTML file for Movie listings though.

Thanks again for great job done,
Cheers,
- S
post #116 of 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunekempe View Post

Excellent initiative!

Just invested into the Popcorn Hour A-100 and felt the need for a GUI-generator.

Is it possible to adapt this version to provide HTML output-files as well?

I am currently browsing for similar initiatives and of none are found, I guess I'll make a .NET application for this.

The movie-folder, ISO, jpg, etc structure is applicable for that as well.
One difference would be to generate a main HTML file for Movie listings though.

Thanks again for great job done,
Cheers,
- S

These two outputs HTML.
http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog/
http://xmm.sourceforge.net/
You can create the HTML layout as you want.

I once tried to use these tools to fetch data, generatea HTML page and create a 720 x 480 JPEG out of that, but never managed to get a good result on the HTML to JPEG step. Hoever, output HTML it's well capable of.

/J
post #117 of 1051
Guy, if you would be willing to share the core code, i.e:

1) the code which does the OpenGL magic, text placement etc.; and
2) the code to access the various metadata off the web

as a library, then perhaps others could wrap their own UIs around it for the various different streamers.

I am imagining 'profiles' for players which can be wrappered into a library
post #118 of 1051
Thread Starter 
At this point, I'm just about done with pushing the program further forward. Remember, its availability is a side effect of my needing a program for myself. Features that aren't directly useful to myself aren't likely to be added. It is a nice piece of kit, but not written in a style useful for export to other development environments.

However......

There does seem to be some utility in adding html files to the file structure so the entire collection can be reviewed on my local network's browsers. Is there documentation of the HTML file structure which the Popcorn expects? Does it have a call sequence to initiate media playback from an HTML file?
post #119 of 1051
Thanks for this great skin maker, prior to this I was using a batch process in Photoshop, but although effective, was a little more time consuming.

However I am having a problem with your app on long file names, I run it from a MacBook Pro to an airport express disk, which is then networked to the TViX. For instance "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (1998)" becomes Fear And Loathing In Las#5F67C" - which is just not as snappy.

Any suggestions?

Also I have an idea where you could pull poster images from, I use this : http://www.google.com/custom?aq=0&oq....impawards.com
post #120 of 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post

At this point, I'm just about done with pushing the program further forward. Remember, its availability is a side effect of my needing a program for myself. Features that aren't directly useful to myself aren't likely to be added. It is a nice piece of kit, but not written in a style useful for export to other development environments.

However......

There does seem to be some utility in adding html files to the file structure so the entire collection can be reviewed on my local network's browsers. Is there documentation of the HTML file structure which the Popcorn expects? Does it have a call sequence to initiate media playback from an HTML file?

Hello ..

I found this http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=120
On there forum , maybe it helps ?

Regards

Carlsberg112
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › A Mac and Windows Movie Wallpaper GUI Generator for Media Players