After a month long absence from working in the basement, we returned to begin rebuilding the soffits around the beam in the back of the theater. Our revised design has this soffit being built before the room was drywalled to enclose the beam and wiring. This also represented to march to enclosing the room. When I began the project, I set a goal of full drywall in the main part of the basement and theater by the one year mark. That date was Memorial day!
Here is a shot of the soffit around the back beam. Note the insulation that is waiting to be installed (or reinstalled as the case may be).
Another view. The silver pipe is 3" corrugated aluminum vent pipe. We installed it as a precaution if we need to build a hush box around the projector and need to draw heat away from the projector. The pipe terminates in the equipment room (on the right in this picture).
We are unsure of the projector that we are going to use. With a nod to the sage advice of "when you hang the projector, the room is finished" adage, we're not going to purchase a projector until the very end (when we absolutely have to). Since we don't know where the projector will be mounted, we needed a way to introduce some flexibility into the design. Bryan suggested a device similar to this that would allow us the flexibility we desired. This is connected to the conduit that is run to the equipment room and can be used once the final mounting location is known.
A shot of the FlexiProjector(c) device in place.
Here's a shot of the front of the theater with the soffit in place. Note the box fan with a HVAC filter strapped to it. This really keeps down the dust from drywall and insulation! Thanks to the person who offered that tip!
Here's a shot of the inside of the equipment room looking back into the theater. There are 5 conduits installed for future expansion. One runs to the breaker box (across the theater), two to the front of the room (for speaker wiring, bar TV, etc), one to the projector location behind the beam, and the last one to the projector location on the back wall of the theater. The back wall mounting point was our initial plan. We ran conduit, a dead ROMAX wire for power, and a vent pipe. We left these in place to add even more flexibility. The blue smurf tubes are for speaker wiring.
Maybe we'll hit the lottery be able to afford a projector to throw a 140" bright image the 23 feet to the screen!
Making progress, but the 05/31/08 (one year deadline) was rapidly approaching.