or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread - Page 502

post #15031 of 15422
hey Dave. do you know the true power rms and max of the lt200. i was told it put out more than rated but now i have to wonder if that info is true. Thanks
post #15032 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

hey Dave. do you know the true power rms and max of the lt200. i was told it put out more than rated but now i have to wonder if that info is true. Thanks

never measured... however going by the transistors used, the voltage and current, and taking away an approximate percentage for efficiency, i'd say that 200 is around right. sure, it may be underrated, but not by much.

it is at the point where it does not matter... who can tell the difference between 200 watts and 210 watts on the same driver/cabinet anyway ?
post #15033 of 15422
Wow! Been absent for awhile and super sad to find out all of this happened. Dual A5-350 owner here. One of my subs sounds like it fluctuates quite a bit in SPL around 4-5dB on the SPL meter when adjusting the test tone levels. Does anyone know if this is normal, possible amp problem. Or is my AVR level too low and I need to turn that up and my sub gain down. AVR level at 0 or +1, but goes through a BFD to the other side of the room with a long cable run. Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by WestsideHT - 10/3/12 at 8:00pm
post #15034 of 15422
wow, sucks to hear about eD. got a A3-300 5 years ago and was thinking about an upgrade. guess i'm looking elsewhere.
post #15035 of 15422
I received my LT500 plate amp from Dave and had a chance to plug it in and test it out today. The crappy part is that all I get is a hum, nothing coming through.

I hooked up the speaker wires according to color, red to red, black to black from the amp to the speaker terminals, plugged in the the same cable coming from my receiver that was plugged in before to the mono/LFE input on the amp. I get a green light but again all I get is a hum.

Any ideas here? This is on a A5-350 with the 15" woofer
post #15036 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2078 View Post

I received my LT500 plate amp from Dave and had a chance to plug it in and test it out today. The crappy part is that all I get is a hum, nothing coming through.

did you use a multimeter and ohm out the speaker ? you should see 4 ohms.

if you see much less, the speaker is bad, and likely you blew up the output transistors of the amp.
post #15037 of 15422
what connecters would I check for the ohms of the speakers, just the black and red with the black and red of the multi-meter?
post #15038 of 15422
I get 5.6 when I connect to the same outside posts that the speaker wires connect to and I get like .6 when connecting to the inside terminals that are connected to each other, I assume this is because it is a dual voicecoil or something.
post #15039 of 15422
so, what happens when you have no rcas plugged in, and the light is green ? still humming ? if not, do you have a different source to put into it ?
post #15040 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

so, what happens when you have no rcas plugged in, and the light is green ? still humming ? if not, do you have a different source to put into it ?


rcas?

I will look for another input, even if it my phone 3.5m > rca, you think that is another source?
post #15041 of 15422
Well, I did try another input and no hum and actually audio coming out, so on to figuring out what is going on with either the cable or receiver.
post #15042 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2078 View Post

rcas?
I will look for another input, even if it my phone 3.5m > rca, you think that is another source?

RCA's... you know... the RCA jacks ? the input... what does it do with no input and the light is green ?

try the phone after that.
post #15043 of 15422
oh... ok, then the rest is up to you. subwoofer fine, cant help from here.
post #15044 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

so, what happens when you have no rcas plugged in, and the light is green ? still humming ? if not, do you have a different source to put into it ?

Question for you, notice that this plate amp has a grounding wire on the power terminal where the LT/550 didn't. Do you think I am picking up interference there somehow. I do have this heavy duty RCA cable going up the wall with other cabling and wondering if I am getting interference there but didn't get that before. Weird thing is I don't have any sound along with the hum....
post #15045 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

oh... ok, then the rest is up to you. subwoofer fine, cant help from here.


alright, thanks. I'll try running a seperate RCA across the room and see if I get the interference then, that will tell me what's up
post #15046 of 15422
that is an AC ground, and has nothing to do with the output or input of the amplifier.

the problem is not the subwoofer. it is the RCA or receiver.

i had that once on my system, but that turned out that my kid turned the subwoofer off on my receiver. turned it back on, and all was well.
post #15047 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

that is an AC ground, and has nothing to do with the output or input of the amplifier.
the problem is not the subwoofer. it is the RCA or receiver.
i had that once on my system, but that turned out that my kid turned the subwoofer off on my receiver. turned it back on, and all was well.


That is something I need to go through in more detail too, I went through the receiver with a guy from eD trying to diagnosis the sub and wondering if something is off. I have already checked 3 times and set all the levels up high but there are so many options on this thing, who knows.
post #15048 of 15422
It's a real shame to read all this about ED. I had it in my head to upgrade my current A2-250 to a A5-350 as my fiancee and I are moving into a bigger place (and I'll have a much larger TV room), went to the website, saw it was down, came here and read this. Very dissapointing to see a company that was once the hottest thing out there go down like this.

I knew that people were having quality problems with ED's more recent products but I had no idea it had gotten this bad. Good luck to those who are trying to get their stuff back.

Anyway, anybody have any suggestions for something that's comparable to the A5-350 and can be done in a custom finish? I want a gigantic gloss red sub wink.gif
post #15049 of 15422
I have an older A5-500 I believe, its the 15" down firing w/ 2 ports in the back. It had the crap LT-500 that broke.

I now have the LT-300 in it, which has disconnected and I am having trouble w/ the connection. There's no problem w/ the positive(red), But I can't seem to find the neg (black) connection on the amp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian
post #15050 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmplockmonster View Post

I have an older A5-500 I believe, its the 15" down firing w/ 2 ports in the back. It had the crap LT-500 that broke.
I now have the LT-300 in it, which has disconnected and I am having trouble w/ the connection. There's no problem w/ the positive(red), But I can't seem to find the neg (black) connection on the amp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian

Its generally in the middle of the amp somplace....they are slide ons right? Got a picture of the circuit board? Is there a heat sink in the middle...i would poke around and it should be able to be found.
post #15051 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmplockmonster View Post

I have an older A5-500 I believe, its the 15" down firing w/ 2 ports in the back. It had the crap LT-500 that broke.
I now have the LT-300 in it, which has disconnected and I am having trouble w/ the connection. There's no problem w/ the positive(red), But I can't seem to find the neg (black) connection on the amp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian

there is the main power plug going to the amp board. the wires are one large gauge black, and two large gauge red wires. the black speaker wire goes right next to it on the spade terminal, low on the board. i know... tough to get to on the LT200/300. i use needle nose pliers to push it on.

your LT500 likely did not have the reliability modifications on it. i have other clients that use way worse amps, but seem popular here.
post #15052 of 15422
I thank you guys for the quick response. It took me a couple of days and I figured I'd give it one last shot. Low and behold I found it,right where you said it would be. Thanks again guys!
post #15053 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2078 View Post

That is something I need to go through in more detail too, I went through the receiver with a guy from eD trying to diagnosis the sub and wondering if something is off. I have already checked 3 times and set all the levels up high but there are so many options on this thing, who knows.
I had the same problem with the LT 500 that Dave sent me to replace dead LT 550. I had to use AC cheater plug adapter ( 2 prong to 3 prong) to cure my hum. I think it' some kind of ground loop.
post #15054 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfmathis75 View Post

I had the same problem with the LT 500 that Dave sent me to replace dead LT 550. I had to use AC cheater plug adapter ( 2 prong to 3 prong) to cure my hum. I think it' some kind of ground loop.

now that i think about it, i can see where using the old AC power cord could be an issue with the newer amps. the LT550 cord did not have an earth ground terminal. just about everything else in a house is earth grounded.

just get a computer power supply cord. it is 3 prong earth grounded. $3 at Walmart, or anywhere else.
post #15055 of 15422
Lucky me, my A5-350 decided to quit on me in the middle of watching TV (at low level I should say). I heard a pop/rattle and when I checked on it there was no sound, just the smell of burned plastic. The green LED was still on until I turned it off. Any suggestions on how to get the LT-500 repaired?

TIA

--Sebis
post #15056 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebis View Post

Lucky me, my A5-350 decided to quit on me in the middle of watching TV (at low level I should say). I heard a pop/rattle and when I checked on it there was no sound, just the smell of burned plastic. The green LED was still on until I turned it off. Any suggestions on how to get the LT-500 repaired?
TIA
--Sebis

Pm the guy above you...
post #15057 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

Pm the guy above you...

yeah. biggrin.gif i'll send him a PM.
post #15058 of 15422
I thought I would publicly thank Dave for the excellent service. My A7-900 has been down, and I am SO GLAD that I didn't send the amp to ED. They told me to send the whole stinkin' thing. After a couple of minutes on the phone, I simply removed the amp module itself (not the HUGE power supply or other boards) and sent it priority mail for $5. Turned around in a couple of days, and it works great once again.

THANK YOU DAVEDS50!!!
post #15059 of 15422
Well it looks like my A2-300 has started to fail. I noticed a humming the other day and have spent some time trouble shooting and here is what I have:

- With the subwoofer powered on (green light) and coax disconnected there is absolutely no sound coming from it.
- As soon as the center conductor of the coax touches the interior of the plug, the subwoofer begins to hum moderately loud at what appears to be 60 Hz.
- Once the coax has been pushed in far enough to engage the outer ring (negative or ground I assume) of the coax, the hum from the subwoofer diminishes noticeably but now there is also a slight 60 Hz hum from the other 5 speakers. This humming from the other 5 speakers does not happen when just the center of the coax is engaged.
- I brought in another subwoofer and plugged it in using the same coax cable and electrical outlet and there are no humming issues from either the replacement sub or speakers.

My receiver is a relatively new Onkyo HT-RC260. The A2-300 still seems to work fine as we just watched the Avengers the other day, the only problem is the constant humming.
Any help on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #15060 of 15422
Maybe a solder joint on the RCA came loose inside the amp? Haven't had that issue before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread