or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread - Page 503

post #15061 of 15422
^ ^ ^ What that guys said, or try a cheater plug, if neither fixes it, then I believe the power supply has gone bad. Does the volume change of the hum when you increase the volume of the source material?
post #15062 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Pokey321 View Post

Well it looks like my A2-300 has started to fail. I noticed a humming the other day and have spent some time trouble shooting and here is what I have:

first of all, what amp is in it ? should say on the amp itself.
is it the amp with the heatsink sticking out of it ?
does the power cord have three terminals ? or just two, without an earth ground ?
post #15063 of 15422
3/19/12
post#14123
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Do any of you guys get the feeling ED is on the way out? going out of business eventually?


First they slashed their product line, basically all ported subs remaining. Not even their well received 18" sealed sub survived that.

Now their selling some of their leading subwoofer drivers at fire sale prices.

http://blog.edesignaudio.com/?p=1736


I get the feeling ED is on the down slope, unfortunately. Perhaps the very tough business climate coupled with amp failures, parts/amp availibility issues, spotty customer service issues are finally taking its toll.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post


No. I disagree. IMHO they cut some of their line for that reason, to keep up with supply and demand. They were tired of pissing their customers off and are keeping and selling in stock subs only.

Care to re-visit your thoughts back in March?
post #15064 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

3/19/12
post#14123
Care to re-visit your thoughts back in March?

This was a response i received from Alex at the time. I guess i was wrong. From what I was told by Matt and Alex after the doors closed, was that everything went to crap in two weeks time.
post #15065 of 15422
Seems Alex snowed Matt and together they snowed the buying public. Well at least until people started getting their credit card companies involved. No hard feelings nezff.
post #15066 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Seems Alex snowed Matt and together they snowed the buying public. Well at least until people started getting their credit card companies involved. No hard feelings nezff.

Yeah from what I was told, a certain "someone" was buying supplies with money that was from customers ordering subs/speakers etc.. They didnt have enough money to buy supplies(wood, crossover components etc..)

Matt was in the dark from the way it was told to me. wink.gif

thanks.
post #15067 of 15422
Did I see a post that you might be selling your settup nezff? if so what are you selling and why? Thanks for your time
post #15068 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

Did I see a post that you might be selling your settup nezff? if so what are you selling and why? Thanks for your time

Im keeping my stuff. I love my speakers. The subs are big, but have a ton of output. Wish i would have done something like a tuba or something smaller possibly.
post #15069 of 15422
Cool. In your room you shouldnt have to worry about space.
post #15070 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

This was a response i received from Alex at the time. I guess i was wrong. From what I was told by Matt and Alex after the doors closed, was that everything went to crap in two weeks time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Seems Alex snowed Matt and together they snowed the buying public. Well at least until people started getting their credit card companies involved. No hard feelings nezff.

This is why we should all be somewhat reluctant to take a vendors word as gospel. Also why we should not jump on posters who say they have problems with a product/service/vendor while we don't. Nezff, why would you want something smaller? It looks like your room is plenty big enough.
post #15071 of 15422
I was thinking something to sit behind the mains maybe aiming in towards the wall etc..

I was honestly just thinking aloud. wink.gif
post #15072 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Im keeping my stuff. I love my speakers. The subs are big, but have a ton of output. Wish i would have done something like a tuba or something smaller possibly.

Shoot, you have an awesome A/V room/setup. It must be devastatingly bad to da bone. Be happy and enjoy it smile.gif
post #15073 of 15422
How have you connected the PSW-1s to your system: wired from the ampifier's speaker terminals (in parallel with your front speakers) or using a RCA signal cable and the "subwoofer output" from the pre-amp section?
post #15074 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

So after hooking up my dual A7S-450s, I thought I'd move my Cambridge Soundworks PSW1 (1997 sub, 12in driver, 140watts) somewhere else in the house. After all, what can that sub add when I have TWO 1300watt 18in drivers in my theater???


Just for kicks and giggles, I thought I might as well hook it up to see if it could add anything. I placed it directly behind my listening position, calibrated it to 69db because I didn't want to 'muddy' the sound of my A7Ss (calibrated at 75db each), and gave it a go. WOW! I swear these things are the little engines that could. For whatever reason, it really opened up my A7Ss!!! Bass was much more detailed, and VERY tactile. They literally felt like I had hooked up buttshakers (transducers) to my HT seating. It was unbelievable the difference it made.


....
This, hands down, is the best my HT room as ever sounded and the best FR curve I've achieved. The bass is effortless and bottomless and completely shakes my seating. Not sure if I got lucky with my room combined with the A7Ss and PSW1s, but it certainly should give you second thoughts about what to do with the subwoofer(s) that are being replaced with the eD's that you bought!

My question to you Dominquez1 is:
how do you have the PSW1's connected to your system:
do you have them speaker wired to the amplifier's speaker output terminals, in parallel with the front speakers or
do you have them RCA cabled to the pre-amp's subwoofer output RCA port?
I have 2 manuals for CSW powered subs from that era (unfortunately neither is for the PSW1) and they disagree on the best way to connect them.
thanks in advance for your help
post #15075 of 15422
I wish I could've gotten some of those Cinema's before they went under. frown.gif
post #15076 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post

I wish I could've gotten some of those Cinema's before they went under. frown.gif
Man, what are you, nuts? You'd have lost your money like many did.
post #15077 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott H View Post


do you have them RCA cabled to the pre-amp's subwoofer output RCA port?
 

^^^This.

post #15078 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Man, what are you, nuts? You'd have lost your money like many did.
No, I mean before the **** hit the fan. I got my 450 a few months before things crashed. It continues to be an awesome beast.
post #15079 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post

No, I mean before the **** hit the fan. I got my 450 a few months before things crashed. It continues to be an awesome beast.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/classifieds-sell-your-gear/82703-fs-elemental-designs-cinema-12-l-c-r.html

Here are some for sale, but not sure if he's willing to ship them or not.
post #15080 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksRock View Post

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/classifieds-sell-your-gear/82703-fs-elemental-designs-cinema-12-l-c-r.html
Here are some for sale, but not sure if he's willing to ship them or not.
Thanks!
Just sent him a PM.
post #15081 of 15422
thanks
I used to have them speaker wired but I am trying the normal RCA signal wires instead.
The PSW-II manual said the speaker wired was the proper way and warned against using the SW signal port but the Powered & Slave manual said the SW port was fine - these PSW-1s have the slave outputs so I hope the Powered & Slave manual is more correct.
post #15082 of 15422
So blew my woofer out a while ago in my a2-300.... I just now got around to putting a new one in ED had sent me forever go as replacement. (everything was in stored in spare bedroom because at my old place I couldn't use my sub)

I just now wired everything back up and flicked the amp switch, in which I received a solid red light in return. Does that mean my amp is dead? or is there some things I can troubleshoot that might be wrong?

Thankful for any responses.
post #15083 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

Does that mean my amp is dead?

the most common reason that amps blow up, is bad speakers. i would not be surprised if your old speaker, when it went bad, took the amp out too.

unhook the speaker, and with no speaker hooked up to the amp, power it up and put a signal to it. if it goes green, then something is wrong... new speaker wired incorrectly, wires shorted, etc...

if it stays red after a signal, then you may need a repair.
post #15084 of 15422
Just for old times sakes

http://vimeo.com/53050429
post #15085 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

So blew my woofer out a while ago in my a2-300.... I just now got around to putting a new one in ED had sent me forever go as replacement. (everything was in stored in spare bedroom because at my old place I couldn't use my sub)
I just now wired everything back up and flicked the amp switch, in which I received a solid red light in return. Does that mean my amp is dead? or is there some things I can troubleshoot that might be wrong?
Thankful for any responses.

Did you check to see if the fuse was blown?
post #15086 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksRock View Post

Did you check to see if the fuse was blown?

if the fuse was blown, he would not have a red light.
post #15087 of 15422
Ok so I took it out of the Sub box and disconnected....

When I plugged it back up and turned it on with it disconnected.... It made a slight click and went yellow then red. I quickly disconnected power and turned it off after that.

What does the fuse even look like on this thing? I dont see any burn marks or popped components anywhere on it but maybe I need to look a little harder.

Thanks for replies
post #15088 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

Ok so I took it out of the Sub box and disconnected....
When I plugged it back up and turned it on with it disconnected.... It made a slight click and went yellow then red. I quickly disconnected power and turned it off after that.
What does the fuse even look like on this thing? I dont see any burn marks or popped components anywhere on it but maybe I need to look a little harder.
Thanks for replies

the fuse is under the cover inside the power socket... but dont worry about it. if it was blown, then you would have no light at all... no red, yellow, or green. there would be absolutely no AC going to the amp, as the fuse is the first thing the AC sees in the amp.

if there are no burns on the board, then chances are that your original speaker was shorted, and took out the output section of the amp. that explains the red-yellow-red progression. the click you heard was the relay that enables the output section... when it saw that something was wrong, it went into protect mode.

yup... needs to be sent for repair.
post #15089 of 15422
My amp blew out on my a3-300, and now I need some info/help...

I noticed the amp started making some clicking noises about a month ago, then this past weekend, it started making a rattling/popping sound and then came the nice burnt electronics smell.
Not sure what all these boards, chips, etc. are but the black rubber shielded coil is what i found fried...




When I first got this sub about 2 years ago, the amp did not work from the start and they sent me a replacement. I took the entire board off the original to replace this hoping it would work, but the fuse instantly blew...

Any plug and play replacement amps that will work? How can I tell if the woofer itself is damaged as well?

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Edited by yellow98stang - 12/5/12 at 8:51am
post #15090 of 15422
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow98stang View Post

My amp blew out on my a3-300, and now I need some info/help...
I noticed the amp started making some clicking noises about a month ago, then this past weekend, it started making a rattling/popping sound and then came the nice burnt electronics smell.
Not sure what all these boards, chips, etc. are but the black rubber shielded coil is what i found fried...



Any plug and play replacement amps that will work? How can I tell if the woofer itself is damaged as well?

your coil is not fried. that is the standard black rubberized glue that is on all of them to hold the coil in place. i have seen a few ( out of hundreds ) that the coil did overheat, and needed to be replaced, but that is extremely rare.

sounds like your speaker was on it's way out a month ago. i have heard that same story from quite a few people that have sent amps to me. funny noises, then pop. speaker takes out amp. a few have ripped the speaker apart, and found that the voice coil had actually come unglued from the cone. when it starts rubbing on the sides of the magnet and making funny noises, it shorts out and pops the output section of the amp.

you can replace the amp with whatever you want.... but without taking care of the real problem, it will just blow up immediately. careful... some of the popular amps people like to suggest, are much worse than the eD amps... i work on those too. i know... people think the eD amps were unreliable... but it really turns out that the crap speakers cause them to blow up. no amp in the world can survive a shorted voice coil. the Bash amp in my Klipsch has blown up 4 times... but... i admit, i abuse that thing. that said, i have been heavily abusing two LT500's for the past month and they are ok so far.

anyway, take a multimeter and measure the speaker at the wires going to the amp. ( with amp disconnected ) you should measure from 4 to 5 ohms. my bet, is you are going to measure much less.
also, lightly push on the cone of the speaker and see if it moves freely, or if it is scratchy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread