or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Toshiba HD-A2 versus TOSHIBA HD-A35 Help please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toshiba HD-A2 versus TOSHIBA HD-A35 Help please

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I have a TOSHIBA HD-A2 player and using it with my plasma Tv (Which can accept 1080p) but because HD-A2 can only put up to 1080i I'm thinking to get new TOSHIBA HD-A35 and asking you guys is there going to be a noticable video quality change between these two players. If it is I will buy it, but I have been reading and trying to find best answer I can so far nothing clear.
Thanks a bunch
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacakli View Post

I have a TOSHIBA HD-A2 player and using it with my plasma Tv (Which can accept 1080p) but because HD-A2 can only put up to 1080i I'm thinking to get new TOSHIBA HD-A35 and asking you guys is there going to be a noticable video quality change between these two players. If it is I will buy it, but I have been reading and trying to find best answer I can so far nothing clear.
Thanks a bunch

what tv? does it deinterlace relatively well?
post #3 of 19
There probably wont be a big difference as far as HD-DVD video quality between the two players IMO. However, if you have a large SD-DVD collection, the A35 offers better upconversion than the A2.
post #4 of 19
If the TV is a 120Hz Plasma then you can play back HD-DVDs at native 1080p24. I've read that the 1080p60 setting on the Tosh players interlace, and then deinterlace (and pretty poorly at that) so you may not notice too much difference if you have a 60Hz set. Also, does your set ACCEPT 1080P or DISPLAY 1080P that will be a pretty big difference as well.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yes plasma accepts 1080p and also I have a large SD-DVD collection and I'm not happy with the SD upconversion Toshiba HD-A2 offers. Even for the SD-DVD's if Toshiba HD-A35 can make a huge difference I still might consider buying it or should I go Toshiba HD-A3 (I don't know this model will be different than what I have for the SD upconversion) model which is a lot cheaper than the HD-A35 model.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacakli View Post

Yes plasma accepts 1080p and also I have a large SD-DVD collection and I'm not happy with the SD upconversion Toshiba HD-A2 offers. Even for the SD-DVD's if Toshiba HD-A35 can make a huge difference I still might consider buying it or should I go Toshiba HD-A3 (I don't know this model will be different than what I have for the SD upconversion) model which is a lot cheaper than the HD-A35 model.

i don't think that it will make a "huge" difference by any means... will it make "some" difference? yes, the scaling solution in the a35 is "better" than the one in the a2/a3. how much of a difference? certainly not "OMG!!!! IT'S INCREDIBLE!!!!!"...

1) what are you looking to "improve" about the upscaling from the a2?

2) what display are we talking about?
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
I don't know just SD-DVD's are not good at all and HD-DVD quality is very good but when I see some setups at the Best buy or some other places seems like I don't have that good pictures with my setup. And again if it is not OMG kind of difference than I will stay with what I have and don't worry about SD DVD's I have. I was just trying to save SD-DVD collection and enjoy with them (After HD-DVD how much you can enjoy with SD is another ?) and same time get much better quality for the HD-DVD's. For Directv I watch via HDMI connection and HD-DVD I have a components setup because I have only 1 HDMI input for the TV (I'm getting the HDMI switch and will use HDMI for both) not much a difference anyway for my eyes between HDMI and components (HDMI little better I think). Maybe SD upconverting is a problem because I have a components connection if it is I will switch and see the difference, I just checked differences for HD-DVD's for HDMI and components and I didn't check for the SD-DVD's with HDMI.
post #8 of 19
well, i think we've identified your upscaling "problem"...

and that problem would be...

you aren't upscaling... sddvd's won't upscale over component... the scaling is happening in your display...

swap your connections... use component for d* and hdmi for your player...

don't expect miracles... sd isn't gonna look like hdm...

and fwiw, i get plenty of "enjoyment" out of sd still...
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thank you very much for your replies and I will switch it and post after the result.
Thanks a lot and agree on waste and NJ. I used to come to Newark airport a lot and around that area air quality is just unreal
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
I just did it and SD DVDs are much much better now. When I switched in the past I never tried SD DVD always checked with the HD-DVD's and almost no difference there. But now SD DVD's are much better like 3D deep picture effect and I love it.
THANKS
post #11 of 19
CONCLUSION: The HD-A2 is a decent upscaling SD DVD player. The XA2 and A35 are better but the A2 is good enough for most people as long as you have it hooked up correctly using HDMI. The A2 does NOT upconvert using component cables.
post #12 of 19
If you decide you still want HDMI for your Satellite, you could always buy an HDMI switcher. They are very inexpensive and work very well with most equipment. You might check Monoprice.com.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacakli View Post

I just did it and SD DVDs are much much better now. When I switched in the past I never tried SD DVD always checked with the HD-DVD's and almost no difference there. But now SD DVD's are much better like 3D deep picture effect and I love it.
THANKS

good deal! glad we could help.

ps. the reason we leave newark the way it is is so that people won't realize how nice the rest of the state is and move here. we've got enough peeps already.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
LOL. When I had components hooked up for DVD player for SD-DVD movies before starding up you get that warning about upconverting picture to 480p and with HDMI connection it doesn't show anything and goes to movie rightaway. What is the upconverting we are watching for SD-DVD movies ? Is it 720p? Also any more tips you can give me for connections etc.
Thanks
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacakli View Post

LOL. When I had components hooked up for DVD player for SD-DVD movies before starding up you get that warning about upconverting picture to 480p and with HDMI connection it doesn't show anything and goes to movie rightaway. What is the upconverting we are watching for SD-DVD movies ? Is it 720p? Also any more tips you can give me for connections etc.
Thanks

well... the player is feeding 480 when it's hooked via component... your display will scale it to whatever it's native resolution is, it has to, as plasmas are fixed pixel displays and have no choice other than to display their native resolution...

when you upconvert over hdmi, the player will scale to whatever you have it set to (as long as your display will handshake at that resolution)... if you go into the player menu, you can set the resolution "up to" a certain res... since you have a 1080p display, you can set it up to 1080i... it should handshake at that, and then all your display has to do is deinterlace the 1080i signal to 1080p...

the way you have it now is "best" for your current situation... if i were you, i'd start saving for a new avr so i could take advantage of the high res audio that's available on hddvd's... you could probably score a used onkyo 604 (or something similar to that that will process lpcm over hdmi) for a couple hundred dollars or so and that would do the job (plus do hdmi video switching for you as well)....
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks again and I was looking for Denon 888 model and looks good. I'm a bid Denon fan and still using almost 7 years old Denon 3801 but of course no HDMI. Last thing is that how do you get in to setup DVD players output.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Actually I did find the setup and it shows up to 1080i checked. One section shows RGB output for standard or enchenced and standard checked but I guess that is for component setup. Now I'm waiting for HDMI switch to arrive and set both DTV and DVD with it.
post #18 of 19
When you have your HD DVD player operating, press the setup button on the remote. There are options for setting the resolution, audio, network. languages, etc. One of the important functions is under maintenance. It is the update option, which you will use to get new firmware over the internet if that is the method you choose.
post #19 of 19
I don't understand why you were switching the connections every time you played a SD movie. Wasn't that cumbersome, you would think you'd just want one connection. Just seems like it would've been alot of work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Toshiba HD-A2 versus TOSHIBA HD-A35 Help please