or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen! - Page 5

post #121 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedina View Post

This is going to sound ridiculous. Why don't the networks just make the program breaks shorter? Concept of supply and demand. If the nets need to "refund money to advertisers" as they say... then simply air less of them.

While we're at it, let's ask heroin addicts to cut back on the number of fixes they shoot up each day...
post #122 of 3285
NBC, if you are reading this, drop the ads that are shown during the entire show please!!! I don't think that NBC wants to go down in the history books as the innovator of annoying ads during entire episodes of prime time, late night, daytime, etc. programming.

I suppose the next NBC trend will be to give us more 2-3 letter show names like ER to claim that the ads are smaller since the show titles will have fewer letters. After all they already do away with opening and closing title segments on shows like Heroes.

-YakHDTV06
post #123 of 3285
Fox,TNT and SCI-Fi are just as bad!!!
post #124 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

The thing that p'ed me off are those severe weather warnings. ....

Those are what really tee me off too.

Especially here in Phoenix where there is almost never anything for the weather people to report, they go way overboard and report every 3" rainstorm (in Phx a 3" rainstorm is one where there are 3 inches of dry ground between every wet spot).

Not to mention them putting up warnings for the ENTIRE state. So we are innudated with reports for areas that are 300 miles away and 6000 feet higher in elevation.
post #125 of 3285
^^^ Gee, around here they do wall-to-wall coverage when we actually get sunshine...
post #126 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Those are what really tee me off too.

Especially here in Phoenix where there is almost never anything for the weather people to report, they go way overboard and report every 3" rainstorm (in Phx a 3" rainstorm is one where there are 3 inches of dry ground between every wet spot).

Not to mention them putting up warnings for the ENTIRE state. So we are innudated with reports for areas that are 300 miles away and 6000 feet higher in elevation.

Same here in L.A. When there's rain the news coverage on that could be compared to a snow blizzard back where I used to live in PA.
post #127 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Not to mention them putting up warnings for the ENTIRE state. So we are innudated with reports for areas that are 300 miles away and 6000 feet higher in elevation.

Unfortunately, the Phoenix DMA covers the majority of the state of Arizona, so our stations are carried across the entire DMA by cable and satellite, and by translators in most of the larger towns. The stations have fiscal and legal incentives to serve these viewers, so our broadcasts sometimes get hosed because of severe weather 300 miles away.
post #128 of 3285
I watched Journeyman's final couple episodes the other night and the NBC bug had huge fricking advertisements the last couple of shows. I was so distracted I could not get into the show at all. No wonder it was canceled. I am down to Heroes (on NBC) and between the stupid bug and dumba$$ peacock feathers, plus pop up a$$holes I swear I may quit watching this as well.
post #129 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

^^^ Gee, around here they do wall-to-wall coverage when we actually get sunshine...


I just don't know how the human race would have survived throughout the years without TV weather...
post #130 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

The problem is, that would piss off the people who actually pay for the shows: the advertisers.

Apparently stretching is okay with them. (Even Weight Watchers.)
post #131 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Apparently stretching is okay with them. (Even Weight Watchers.)

Ya think Kristie and Valerie would have a nervous breakdown if the saw those weight watcher spots stretched...???
post #132 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Apparently stretching is okay with them. (Even Weight Watchers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Ya think Kristie and Valerie would have a nervous breakdown if the saw those weight watcher spots stretched...???

As a hater of stretchovision I've always known that the only real way to get any change out of the networks(like Turner) would be for advertisers to refuse to let their commercials be stretched. I've seen commercials on TNT that are in HD on other channels. I know if I were an advertiser, I'd be pissed.

Also, I was a producer/creator of a show, I'd have a "don't destroy my property" clause that says if the show is 4:3, it's shows with sidebars. If the show is 16:9, it's shown in 16:9 on HD and letterboxed on SD.

TNT butchered the recent seasons of Law & Order by taking the SD feed that was originally letterboxed on NBC and center cut it for SD. TNT is using the 16:9 version for HD. I'm surprised TBS hasn't gone for cutting the office into 4:3, since they don't show ANY HD. Hell, it would probably look better than the stretchovsion and letterboxed nightmare that's on now.
post #133 of 3285
Just got done watching Family Guy and American Dad on FOX, and I have to say the promos of other shows were on the level of TNT bad. I have Prison Break and Terminator still on our tivo and I hope those aren't as bad.

So looks like I will start watching less and less of FOX.
post #134 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

No antitrust exemption required. Since the OTA use of the airwaves is a grant of federal law, federal law can come into play and say outright that in a hour the program length must be 50 minutes and 24.5 minutes per half hour show and that NO bugs/snipes/crap can appear during said programming.

Of course, this would not affect stuff distributed directly for cable/pizza-pan dish, as that doesn't use OTA frequencies. But, if OTA was limited, viewer backlash over other sources would result in their changing their ways on their own.

But, since the government is bought and paid for by the private sector these days, getting that kind of law passed would be like hell freezing over. Ain't gonna happen.

Note that what you're suggesting -- a federal regulation limiting the amount of advertising on broadcast television -- isn't the same as what I was suggesting. My suggestion was for a limited antitrust exemption to allow the industry to develop its own advertising limits. This would be similar to the old NAB Code, except that it could also include cable/satellite channels. Since the courts through out the previous NAB Code on antitrust grounds, this approach would require an exemption.

I favor this approach because it would include both broadcast and cable/satellite channels. My fear is that implementing a broadcast-only regulation would end up shifting part of the ad spending that currently goes to the broadcast industry over to the cable/satellite side. While you may be right that cable/satellite channels would have to cut their ad loads to match the broadcast channels, if that *didn't* happen, the result could be disastrous on the broadcast side.

Another reason for favoring this approach is that it might reduce the chances of an industry lawsuit delaying implementation of the new regulation.
post #135 of 3285
On the "tonight show" tonight I noticed something different. The NBC peacock without the advertisement above it. The ad was on earlier during "Medium". Then, the logo actually disappeared during parts of the show. Part of the monologue. headlines and the interviews did not have any logo at all. That's the way TV SHOULD be!
post #136 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Note that what you're suggesting -- a federal regulation limiting the amount of advertising on broadcast television -- isn't the same as what I was suggesting.

Yep, I knew that.

Quote:


My suggestion was for a limited antitrust exemption to allow the industry to develop its own advertising limits. This would be similar to the old NAB Code, except that it could also include cable/satellite channels. Since the courts through out the previous NAB Code on antitrust grounds, this approach would require an exemption.

Here is why I don't like the industry policing themselves..... they'll never do it.

There have been advertising agencies moaning about the clutter, but do they try and get the networks and cable to stop? Nope! Self policing just won't happen. A kick in the butt just might.

BTW, it is threw not through

Quote:


Another reason for favoring this approach is that it might reduce the chances of an industry lawsuit delaying implementation of the new regulation.

While the odds of a lawsuit happening would be pretty good, they would still have to take notice that enough is enough and we viewers aren't going to take it anymore.
post #137 of 3285
I dont know if this count as a clutter on the screen but Im glad Cartoon Network changed their logo[I watch animes and Im 20 ;p ], its a bit smaller than before and now transparent. The last CN logo was big and bright.
post #138 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey1287 View Post

I dont know if this count as a clutter on the screen but Im glad Cartoon Network changed their logo[I watch animes and Im 20 ;p ], its a bit smaller than before and now transparent. The last CN logo was big and bright.

They still have large annoying popups, except for Toonami and Adult Swim which amazingly don't have popups.
post #139 of 3285
I think we should demand that the networks insert pop ups and other information during the commercial breaks.
post #140 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post

I watched Journeyman's final couple episodes the other night and the NBC bug had huge fricking advertisements the last couple of shows. I was so distracted I could not get into the show at all. No wonder it was canceled. I am down to Heroes (on NBC) and between the stupid bug and dumba$$ peacock feathers, plus pop up a$$holes I swear I may quit watching this as well.

I already made that decision. I've skipped the new ep's of ER, FNL and 30 Rock and have quit watching Leno in favor of Letterman. When Heroes and Life come back I'll skip them too. And there's zero chance I'll check out any new shows NBC spawns either. There's too much other stuff on that I like, to waste time watching shows that are compromised by constant blatant promos. With 2-4 three hour Blazer games a week to watch as well I really had to work at it to try to catch everything before anyway. The writers strike hasn't even bothered me really. Unlike some of you guys, trying to "power watch" show after show non stop every night takes a lot of the fun out it for me...


ron
post #141 of 3285
I emailed my local FOX engineer and voiced my displeasure and he is sending the comments up. The only thing we can do to make sure FOX doesn't do this is to email our local engineers, or maybe ask foxeng and bdfox to accept pm's and send those up.

I'm sure foxeng and bdfox will choose option 1.
post #142 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I'm sure foxeng and bdfox will choose option 1.

Won't do any good... marketing never listens to engineering unless we're giving the answer they want.
post #143 of 3285
Don't look now but ABC has a promo bug up for Lost which is over 2 weeks away.
post #144 of 3285
American Idol easily beat Biggest Loser last night. Sure American Idol might be a phenomenon now, but NBC putting ads on during entire shows obviously isn't helping NBC's cause any.

Drop the On Screen Ads immediately, NBC!!! Especially before you become the biggest loser in the ratings!!!

-YakHDTV06
post #145 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

NBC putting ads on during entire shows obviously isn't helping NBC's cause any.

How can you be so sure?

In order to say for certain, you would need to know both what NBC's ratings were as well as what NBC's ratings would have been if they had not had ads. That doesn't seem so "obvious"...
post #146 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Those are what really tee me off too.

Especially here in Phoenix where there is almost never anything for the weather people to report, they go way overboard and report every 3" rainstorm (in Phx a 3" rainstorm is one where there are 3 inches of dry ground between every wet spot).

Not to mention them putting up warnings for the ENTIRE state. So we are innudated with reports for areas that are 300 miles away and 6000 feet higher in elevation.

do they send the harsh, grating, potentially tweeter damaging, mid-range alarm tones thru the system. over the last 3 yrs, they really used to piss me off, so i started calling vt emergancy weather office to complain. after 2.5 yrs, they turned down the volume. i dont know if cuz of my calls or not.
post #147 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

Don't look now but ABC has a promo bug up for Lost which is over 2 weeks away.

I don't watch the two "reality" shows, but I believe that they are SD upconverts, so they would have the crap that they insert into the SD, because they are probably too stupid to know how to get the video to the HD upconvert BEFORE the snipes are inserted.

In half an hour, when my capture of the only real HD program on ABC tonight, we'll see if they've done it there, or not.
post #148 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Just got done watching Family Guy and American Dad on FOX, and I have to say the promos of other shows were on the level of TNT bad. I have Prison Break and Terminator still on our tivo and I hope those aren't as bad.

Those two cartoons are SD upconverts, not real HD programming. For real HD, Fox, so far, has not annoyed their viewing public with snipes and other bug crap.
post #149 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

In half an hour, when my capture of the only real HD program on ABC tonight, we'll see if they've done it there, or not.

Sorry to spoil the surprise, but: SD has the crap, HD doesn't.
post #150 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Sorry to spoil the surprise, but: SD has the crap, HD doesn't.

Actually you didn't, another person in a different thread had already posted what the HD side looked like. The SD feed definately had the List text.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen!