or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen! - Page 102

post #3031 of 3285
I don't mind the Station/Network Logos as long as they are small and transparent, but the ones that obscure the screen or "Pop-Up" at you in random intervals are a whole other story. mad.gif As I mentioned before, they can cover up subtitles on shows where a foreign language is being spoken, making it impossible to understand what they are saying. mad.gif Yes Network TV, ONE Cancellation isn't going to stop a network from doing this "practice" (I did complain to the Networks and the Cable Provider when I was offended by what I saw on TV, but was given a runaround by both sources, which is why I cancelled my subscription). However, if enough people cancelled their subscriptions, it would hit the networks at both ends, as not only are they receiving lower subscription revenues, but the advertisers, realizing they are being seen from less viewers, would insist on lower advertising rates, which also results in decreased revenue. Subscriber numbers continue to head south, and I'm certain when the next wave of price increases are announced, subscriber numbers will only continue to decrease. tongue.gif
post #3032 of 3285
Quote:
I don't mind the Station/Network Logos as long as they are small and transparent

And I don't mind being constantly hit on the head with a baseball bat as long as they just tap lightly wink.gif
post #3033 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

Yes Network TV, ONE Cancellation isn't going to stop a network from doing this "practice" (I did complain to the Networks and the Cable Provider when I was offended by what I saw on TV, but was given a runaround by both sources, which is why I cancelled my subscription). However, if enough people cancelled their subscriptions, it would hit the networks at both ends, as not only are they receiving lower subscription revenues, but the advertisers, realizing they are being seen from less viewers, would insist on lower advertising rates, which also results in decreased revenue. Subscriber numbers continue to head south, and I'm certain when the next wave of price increases are announced, subscriber numbers will only continue to decrease. tongue.gif
The problem is, you're not thinking like a media person.

When someone ignores the message in media, they simply make it louder and more annoying to get your attention. They don't ever think there's another way.
post #3034 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The problem is, you're not thinking like a media person.
When someone ignores the message in media, they simply make it louder and more annoying to get your attention. They don't ever think there's another way.

No, I think like a Viewer. If an Advertiser believes insulting or offending me will get me to purchase their product I have news for them. It will be an Icy day in Gehenna before I partake of your business. Yelling at me 10 times each hour will not sway my opinion. I know you exist, but I refuse to purchase your product. Alternatives exist many of which are CHEAPER than your product (because they don't spend as much on Advertising, and they pass those savings to their customers). tongue.gif
post #3035 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

No, I think like a Viewer. If an Advertiser believes insulting or offending me will get me to purchase their product I have news for them. It will be an Icy day in Gehenna before I partake of your business. Yelling at me 10 times each hour will not sway my opinion. I know you exist, but I refuse to purchase your product. Alternatives exist many of which are CHEAPER than your product (because they don't spend as much on Advertising, and they pass those savings to their customers). tongue.gif

I don't think that what you're doing is working. I'm still getting yelled at.
post #3036 of 3285
Try DVDs, they cannot get past these to yell at you. biggrin.gif
post #3037 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

Alternatives exist many of which are CHEAPER than your product (because they don't spend as much on Advertising, and they pass those savings to their customers). tongue.gif
...I'll be sure to use that tactic with the Rolls Royce people. I've never seen an ad for their cars, so I'll bet they'll pass a ton of savings on to me... wink.gif

On the other hand, if I use all those male enhancement medications I always see advertised, I won't need the Rolls Royce to compensate... biggrin.gif
post #3038 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

...I'll be sure to use that tactic with the Rolls Royce people. I've never seen an ad for their cars, so I'll bet they'll pass a ton of savings on to me... wink.gif
On the other hand, if I use all those male enhancement medications I always see advertised, I won't need the Rolls Royce to compensate... biggrin.gif

Bad example. Rolls Royce has been 100% owned by BMW Group for over a decade. And they spend lots on adverts. You may not have seen them, but they do make Rolls Royce ads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ulcW0QIik
post #3039 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Bad example. Rolls Royce has been 100% owned by BMW Group for over a decade. And they spend lots on adverts. You may not have seen them, but they do make Rolls Royce ads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ulcW0QIik
...and to think I thought two smileys would be enough...
post #3040 of 3285
It pisses me off a lot that Fox Sports for NFL games has a ticker on the bottom of the screen that is 2x's the height it needs to be. The bottom half of that ticker is just a color bar with no information...total waste of my HD from the game!
post #3041 of 3285
^^^ probably for all the people who don't know how to enable full pixel or zero overscan! Of course I detest station bugs too but what really bothers me is when they are broadcasting 16:9 HD but insist on putting the bug well within the 4:3 frame! I'm guessing they do this for cable companies who downconvert the HD feed to 4:3 SD for their SD channels bit come on, most or at least many HD channels have a OTA SD simulcast they could use rolleyes.gif Get the bug out of the center of my screen mad.gif
post #3042 of 3285
^^^^ agreed!
post #3043 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

^^^ probably for all the people who don't know how to enable full pixel or zero overscan! Of course I detest station bugs too but what really bothers me is when they are broadcasting 16:9 HD but insist on putting the bug well within the 4:3 frame! I'm guessing they do this for cable companies who downconvert the HD feed to 4:3 SD for their SD channels bit come on, most or at least many HD channels have a OTA SD simulcast they could use rolleyes.gif Get the bug out of the center of my screen mad.gif

There are many RPTV's and plasmas out there that always do some over scanning, I have two. That said I still think many times they do more protection than is needed for 99.9% of HDTV's. I was hoping with the major cable co's turning off analog, that we would go 100% 16:9 (black bars for the 4:3 Luddites, the horror, the horror!), but I was very much wrong. I think we'll be stuck with 4:3 bugs for 10 more years.
post #3044 of 3285
In 10 years SOMEBODY should finally have the guts to point out the stupidity of the whole bug thing and at least attempt to GET RID OF THEM ALTOGETHER! It still disgusts me that so many show producers have been silent about this.
post #3045 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

In 10 years SOMEBODY should finally have the guts to point out the stupidity of the whole bug thing and at least attempt to GET RID OF THEM ALTOGETHER! It still disgusts me that so many show producers have been silent about this.
Nobody out there cares as much as you do.
post #3046 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Of course, there are some here who gripe over even the most ghostly of station logos linging in the corner of the screen, so I would suspect nothing is going to make them happy.

Personally I'm not bothered with small logos in the corner designating the network. Some channels like Audience are pretty good at that without adding other stupid crap like snipes. Sadly I kinda lost respect for HDNet.. I mean AXS.TV lately since they are now joining the other networks on snipes. Sad. At least HDNet Movies for now remains snipe free.
post #3047 of 3285
Thanks for telling the networks just what they want to hear.
post #3048 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Thanks for telling the networks just what they want to hear.

Not everyone is as picky as you are about this.
post #3049 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Thanks for telling the networks just what they want to hear.
They already know it. We're on a forum that attracts the people who care the most about this stuff, and you're still the only person who holds this opinion. Of course you're welcome to it, but there comes a time when you have to realize that you're alone, and the battle you're fighting doesn't even really exist.
post #3050 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

They already know it. We're on a forum that attracts the people who care the most about this stuff, and you're still the only person who holds this opinion. Of course you're welcome to it, but there comes a time when you have to realize that you're alone, and the battle you're fighting doesn't even really exist.

Count me as a person that is against paying today's TV prices for programming with bugs and screen clutter. It is bad enough on free OTA TV.
post #3051 of 3285
We accept web pages with all kinds of animation and videos around the edges of what we're actually on that page for, networks see that so they are just doing the same thing with TV broadcasts. I expect the "bugs" will increase to the point where they consume more even TV real estate and become more prevalent and animated. Seeing the bottom 10% of my screen showing a promo for another network show is annoying as hell but it's reality now and will only get worse.
post #3052 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

We accept web pages with all kinds of animation and videos around the edges of what we're actually on that page for, networks see that so they are just doing the same thing with TV broadcasts.
Actually, I don't.

I avoid sites that play videos I didn't ask them to play, pop up ads over the content that I'm trying to read or make me watch excessively long pre-roll on videos. I refuse to spend time on web sites that pop up a survey in front of me 3 seconds after I get to the site. I have zero desire to punch the monkey, take a survey or subscribe to get rid of a banner ad.

Unlike with TV, where there isn't a clean version of the same show airing at the same time (and no, delayed streaming or home video formats is not the same thing), there are plenty of other options to get the same content on the web. It's also quite easy to pull in clean content from pages that would normally hit me with ads left and right.

The problem with TV is, you have to wait months to get the video clean with no ads or you'll have to pay per episode. I'm not willing to do that.
post #3053 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post


Actually, I don't.
I avoid sites that play videos I didn't ask them to play, pop up ads over the content that I'm trying to read or make me watch excessively long pre-roll on videos. I refuse to spend time on web sites that pop up a survey in front of me 3 seconds after I get to the site. I have zero desire to punch the monkey, take a survey or subscribe to get rid of a banner ad.

 

I use a Pop-up blocker, AdBlock and FlashBlock on my browser, so I'm free to roam most places bearably.


Edited by Rammitinski - 1/2/13 at 11:40pm
post #3054 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I use a Pop-up blocker, AdBlock and FlashBlock on my browser, so I'm free to roam most places bearably.
The two problems with that are: 1) these guys are finding new and clever ways to get around that stuff and 2) sometimes the blockers block legit content. I simply prefer not to add to page view numbers of any site that employs those tactics.

Unlike with TV, that's instant feedback. If people don't want that stuff, stop going to the sites instead of simply blocking stuff. When the ol' hit counter drops to zero, they'll get the hint.

The internet offers far too many options for the same content to put up with it.
post #3055 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Of course, there are some here who gripe over even the most ghostly of station logos linging in the corner of the screen, so I would suspect nothing is going to make them happy.

 

Anyone who wouldn't be bothered about distracting advertising during a classic movie must be some kind of a peasant.

post #3056 of 3285
Discovery has their logo on a stupid glass jar.
Not that I'd give any attention to a show like moonshiners.
They are supposed to be doing this in hiding meanwhile they are being followed by a TV production crew.
post #3057 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

They are supposed to be doing this in hiding meanwhile they are being followed by a TV production crew.
With another crew following the cops. As if either group would allow this to happen.
post #3058 of 3285
When they have a constant promo up for a show coming on later, I assume that means they don't want you to watch the show that's on NOW, but come back later when the promoted show starts??
post #3059 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Of course, there are some here who gripe over even the most ghostly of station logos linging in the corner of the screen, so I would suspect nothing is going to make them happy.

Anyone who wouldn't be bothered about distracting advertising during a classic movie must be some kind of a peasant.

Of course you are bothered by it. The whole point of such advertising is get you to notice it. It is intended to be a distraction from the show you are watching, to advertise another show that will also have distractions for more future shows. frown.gifmad.giffrown.gifmad.gif
post #3060 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

most or at least many HD channels have a OTA SD simulcast they could use

Huh? There are no SD OTA video streams available for use. OTA networks only have HD feeds. The cable channels that still send out SD for cable systems do not have separate HD and SD downstream keyers, they just use the HD stream and center cut it.

Hence the stupid bug in the 4:3 area.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen!