or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DVD-2500BTCI owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon DVD-2500BTCI owner's thread - Page 3

post #61 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by april2 View Post

Denon's web site now indicates $1999 for the 3800 BDCI.
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3749.asp

Sounds a fairer price.
post #62 of 126
Ok, i'll bite...

I'm trying to stay clear on all this pass-through, decode, send to receiver, etc...

As the DVD-3800BDCI has a set of 5.1 analogue audio jacks, will it send the new DD HD, and DTS HD signals through them to my AVR-3803 (set to 'ext in')in all thier glory?, or do i still need to get the AVR-3808?

I'm fed up with my Samsung BD-P1200, and i miss my old DVD-3800, sigh.

G.
post #63 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstart View Post

Ok, i'll bite...

I'm trying to stay clear on all this pass-through, decode, send to receiver, etc...

As the DVD-3800BDCI has a set of 5.1 analogue audio jacks, will it send the new DD HD, and DTS HD signals through them to my AVR-3803 (set to 'ext in')in all thier glory?, or do i still need to get the AVR-3808?

I'm fed up with my Samsung BD-P1200, and i miss my old DVD-3800, sigh.

G.

ALL formats are decoded to analogue so the 3800 will work well with the 3803.
post #64 of 126
The 2500BT would be the end all be all player if Denon had also added DSD bitstream via HDMI since Denon receivers support this and it would have been the perfect replacement unit for my PS3 and Complement for my 3808CI.

Jorge
post #65 of 126
So how is the 2500 going to scale DVDs if it doesn't have a scaler chip in it?

As for the HighDef audio codecs, so thats being decoded in the player instead of being sent out via HDMI in its raw format for the AVR to decode?

I'm OK with dropping all outputs except HDMI because I dont use them anyway. Seems kind of weird paying that much money for a box with such an empty back panel though . That'll start trickling down to other stuff I'm sure. I'd be surprised if in 5 to 10 yrs they still have analog connectors on stuff.
post #66 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

So how is the 2500 going to scale DVDs if it doesn't have a scaler chip in it?

As for the HighDef audio codecs, so thats being decoded in the player instead of being sent out via HDMI in its raw format for the AVR to decode?

I'm OK with dropping all outputs except HDMI because I dont use them anyway. Seems kind of weird paying that much money for a box with such an empty back panel though . That'll start trickling down to other stuff I'm sure. I'd be surprised if in 5 to 10 yrs they still have analog connectors on stuff.


I suspect it will scale but not with a Realta. You will be able to choose if you want raw high def audio of PCM decoded. It surpprises me that HD players are still offerring composite.
post #67 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

So how is the 2500 going to scale DVDs if it doesn't have a scaler chip in it?

As for the HighDef audio codecs, so thats being decoded in the player instead of being sent out via HDMI in its raw format for the AVR to decode?

I'm OK with dropping all outputs except HDMI because I dont use them anyway. Seems kind of weird paying that much money for a box with such an empty back panel though . That'll start trickling down to other stuff I'm sure. I'd be surprised if in 5 to 10 yrs they still have analog connectors on stuff.

It will have a video processor with scaling and interlacing/de-interlacing abilities. Just don't expect it to be among the best in terms of quality.

As mentioned, both bit-stream and decode-into-PCM will apparently be supported for all audio CODECs. The latter option is particularly important for those who want full functionality with Profile 1.1 discs, but it's great to be able to do both.

I as well think that the price is quite high for such a minimalist machine.
post #68 of 126
They should have just called it a "Digital Transport" I think that would have removed a lot of the confusion people are having with this player. They should have also put in their sheet what chip it is using to scale and deinterlace.

This seems like a really nice player if you already have a good VP or another player to handle SD-DVD. Like someone said above it would have been awesome if it could do bitstream DSD.

I am also not really believing the $1149 price tag. Those MSRP prices were created back when the Blu-Ray player market was really different than it is now. Back then the cheapest players were $500. SInce then some pretty capable players have come out and and prices have come done a lot. I could see this player selling at around $800 easily unless somehow they end up sticking the REON in it.
post #69 of 126
Wonder if Crutchfield is taking orders yet (they are a HUGE Denon dealer).
post #70 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The other tidbit he shared with me and that I was not aware of...there are differences in how various manufactures handle Dolby and dts HD bitstreams. Pansonic, for example, outputs dts 5.1, but not 7.1. It does output Dolby 7.1. The LG dual player doesn't support 7.1 from either Dolby or dts. The Toshiba H35 only does 5.1 (all formats) via HDMI. The Pioneer Elite BDP-94H does not support dts HD....pretty confusing I would say.

I have to jump in here and say that this part of the statement with regard to the Toshibe A35 is also incorrect. I have a DTS-HD MA HD-DVD sampler disc that has a track in 7.1. This was bitstreamed in perfect 7.1 to my 3808CI. The status page on screen read 3/4/.1 @ 96kHz. So I know for a fact the Toshiba can bitstream 7.1 via HDMI.

Now, only if my PS3 could do so also

Seriously though, I am definately keeping my eye on the 2500. This may be my Blu-Ray upgrade to the PS3. Unless someone has a player coming out that will include DVD-A and SACD with the ability to Bitstream everything including DSD.

Eric
post #71 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

They should have just called it a "Digital Transport" I think that would have removed a lot of the confusion people are having with this player. They should have also put in their sheet what chip it is using to scale and deinterlace.

This seems like a really nice player if you already have a good VP or another player to handle SD-DVD. Like someone said above it would have been awesome if it could do bitstream DSD.

I am also not really believing the $1149 price tag. Those MSRP prices were created back when the Blu-Ray player market was really different than it is now. Back then the cheapest players were $500. SInce then some pretty capable players have come out and and prices have come done a lot. I could see this player selling at around $800 easily unless somehow they end up sticking the REON in it.

Denon can call it whatever they want. Unfortunately, 99% of the public will see it as a "BluRay Player" that costs $1200 .

I think the 3800 started out at $2499 and since dropped to $1999. The 2500 has always been $1149.

Public perception I think is that people expect lots of connectors as stuff gets more expensive whether they use them or not.
post #72 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post

It does not do everything since the Denon will decode DTS HD MA as well as send it bitstream. And no the Pioneer is not a 1.1 unit. But yes the Pioneer can send both TrueHD and DTS HD MA via bitstream to a 1.3 receiver to decode.


I just think it is funny since one of the selling points for the Denon will be it can decode and send both TrueHD and DTS HD MA and send as PCM. Which the Pioneer can do with TrueHD just not DTS HD MA.

This is how I see it too. Internal decoding for True HD and DTS MA to PCM 7.1. This is the first one that can achieve this.
post #73 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post

Unless someone has a player coming out that will include DVD-A and SACD with the ability to Bitstream everything including DSD.

Eric

That would be the Pioneer BDP-LX90, hopefully there will be a CES announcement, pure DSD may or may not be limited to ILink though (Bistream over HDMI will work).
post #74 of 126
This transport is exactly what I need. No need for the audio/video analogue stage. It is not clear if this transport will provide source direct for dvd (output at 480i over HDMI
post #75 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

That would be the Pioneer BDP-LX90, hopefully there will be a CES announcement, pure DSD may or may not be limited to ILink though (Bistream over HDMI will work).

I am expecting from Pioneer at CES as a minimum a 1.1 compliant player with internal DTS Ma decoding. That would be awesome if it includes SACD/DVDA decoding.

I see more potential with Denon's player. Being neutral they could extend their transport platform to HD DVD and create a real Universal player. This is something Pioneer cannot do with their lead position in the Blu-Ray consortium.
post #76 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

This transport is exactly what I need. No need for the audio/video analogue stage. It is not clear if this transport will provide source direct for dvd (output at 480i over HDMI


Does it for sure output 480i over HDMI? Dang that would remove a lot of clutter from my rack. I just want one player to send to my Anthem so it can do all the scaling. This player is just what I need too! I'm excited.
post #77 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

I am expecting from Pioneer at CES as a minimum a 1.1 compliant player with internal DTS Ma decoding. That would be awesome if it includes SACD/DVDA decoding.

I see more potential with Denon's player. Being neutral they could extend their transport platform to HD DVD and create a real Universal player. This is something Pioneer cannot do with their lead position in the Blu-Ray consortium.

Whatever came of that? I remember reading that Denon was considering a HD/Blu player and that was partially for the delay of the two Blu-ray players. Is any of that correct?
post #78 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

I am expecting from Pioneer at CES as a minimum a 1.1 compliant player with internal DTS Ma decoding. That would be awesome if it includes SACD/DVDA decoding.

I see more potential with Denon's player. Being neutral they could extend their transport platform to HD DVD and create a real Universal player. This is something Pioneer cannot do with their lead position in the Blu-Ray consortium.

I'm hoping for two players from Pioneer at CES, an improved LX70 with profile 1.1 support, DTS HD decoding (Maybe) and faster operation ("LX71?") and the higher end LX90 with better build, SACD, DVD-A, ILink and better analogue circuits. (You'll have to excuse my European part numbers)
post #79 of 126
Just to be clear.... the Realta is only needed for standard DVD's???
post #80 of 126
That's where it's needed most (especially for scaling/de-interlacing) - but I guess you could use it to spruce up mediocre HD pressings (w/ it's picture adjustments/noise reduction).
post #81 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

That's where it's needed most (especially for scaling/de-interlacing) - but I guess you could use it to spruce up mediocre HD pressings (w/ it's picture adjustments/noise reduction).

Thanks
post #82 of 126
My question about release date for either one of the Denon players drew a blank stare from Magnolia people
I figure rather than pay top dollar for DVD3800BDCI, one might as well get its fancier cousin that comes with 3 year factory warranty.
The thing is, 10% off was the best deal I could find so far from whatever few legit Marantz resellers were left around here



post #83 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch View Post

My question about release date for either one of the Denon players drew a blank stare from Magnolia people
I figure rather than pay top dollar for DVD3800BDCI, one might as well get its fancier cousin that comes with 3 year factory warranty.
The thing is, 10% off was the best deal I could find so far from whatever few legit Marantz resellers were left around here :


Fancier??? How so?
post #84 of 126
The Marantz is out already??????
post #85 of 126
Holy Cow! I've never seen that Marantz. Is it legit?
post #86 of 126
The Marantz BD8002 is legit but not out on the street yet
post #87 of 126
I posted pics of the marantz back when Cedia was going on. It sure looked like a future product and was a total mockup with fake buttons and all. Not sure when Marantz is releasing it.
post #88 of 126
where can i pre order the denon
post #89 of 126
Sad to see that neither of these players with be profile 2.0 upgradeable.
post #90 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwestin View Post

Sad to see that neither of these players with be profile 2.0 upgradeable.

Well, at least the SD card slot on these players will be functional with BDs. Of course, this relies on the content providers to make downloadable extras like audio commentaries available without having to use a player's internet connection.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DVD-2500BTCI owner's thread