or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › "Credit card information is not valid..."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Credit card information is not valid..."

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
I've been unable to get the online Sony store to accept my credit card information when filling out my Billing profile on the PS3. It always returns the message: "The credit card information is not valid. Please check your entries" even though the information is correct.

I've tried both a MasterCard and VISA, both North American-issued cards in good standing, and the banks both claim to be compatible with the AVS system that Sony is using. In fact, several of the $1 authorization charges have successfully "hit" my account, but the console still comes back with the invalid info message.

I have entered the billing information exactly as it appears on my billing statements, and confirmed with the bank that "Drive" is written as "DR" and any other variations I thought might be tripping it up. The address is simple, just a number and street name. I've also cleaned up any extra spaces that sometimes get added to text fields when you press START as the "Enter" key, and don't know what else to try.

I have a service case logged with Sony but in the meantime was wondering if anyone else had gone through a similar experience and what they did to resolve. Thanks.
post #2 of 50
I'm sorry you're having troubles. Are these debit visa and mastercards or credit? That might be the issue. Personally, I used a wireless mouse and keyboard to enter all of my information so as not to fat finger anything and got it all working the first time through.
post #3 of 50
i had the same problem too when i first registered mine.

don't look at mailing addresses from your card company or phone company, look at addresses from government agencies like the dmv when you have to register for new tags, or tax info. you may find that a single space may be the problem or try using all caps. you could also try calling the post office for your official address.
the name of my road is "three b's & K" as written on the street sign, and found out later that the official usps address is "3BS AND K RD"... if you have a road more difficult than that, then goodluck.
post #4 of 50
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys,

I've tried all caps and my address was verified with the post office, and the cards are regular credit cards, not debits. Unless Sony can tell me which piece of info it is failing on, not sure how I can resolve this.

Anyone know if using a wireless router makes a difference? If I can track down a 50' cable I might give wired a try to see if something is up on that end. The successful authorization charge "hits" tell me that the information is being confirmed by the bank, but perhaps the console isn't getting the reply, maybe the router is garbling it up?

I don't know, just guessing at this point...
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithLord View Post

I've been unable to get the online Sony store to accept my credit card information when filling out my Billing profile on the PS3. It always returns the message: "The credit card information is not valid. Please check your entries" even though the information is correct.

I've tried both a MasterCard and VISA, both North American-issued cards in good standing, and the banks both claim to be compatible with the AVS system that Sony is using. In fact, several of the $1 authorization charges have successfully "hit" my account, but the console still comes back with the invalid info message.

I have entered the billing information exactly as it appears on my billing statements, and confirmed with the bank that "Drive" is written as "DR" and any other variations I thought might be tripping it up. The address is simple, just a number and street name. I've also cleaned up any extra spaces that sometimes get added to text fields when you press START as the "Enter" key, and don't know what else to try.

I have a service case logged with Sony but in the meantime was wondering if anyone else had gone through a similar experience and what they did to resolve. Thanks.

AVS doesn't need to be exact to work... just close.

Make sure your expiration date matches... if that does then make sure your CVV2 code (3 digit number on the back matches). If so, all should work.
post #6 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlp View Post

AVS doesn't need to be exact to work... just close. Make sure your expiration date matches... if that does then make sure your CVV2 code (3 digit number on the back matches). If so, all should work.

Nope...

I'm thinking there is an underlying issue that is not so obvious as the information is correct, has been verified correct, and the bank is registering the successful authorization attempts, which indicates all appears to be good on what I'm sending.

It seems to be in the rebound, in the Bank -> Router -> PS3 where it is tripping up and flagging an error. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a wired internet connection to the PS3, which I hope to do in the next day or so. Can't see how it would make a difference but it's worth a shot.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithLord View Post

Nope...

I'm thinking there is an underlying issue that is not so obvious as the information is correct, has been verified correct, and the bank is registering the successful authorization attempts, which indicates all appears to be good on what I'm sending.

It seems to be in the rebound, in the Bank -> Router -> PS3 where it is tripping up and flagging an error. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a wired internet connection to the PS3, which I hope to do in the next day or so. Can't see how it would make a difference but it's worth a shot.

If it's posting to your account then the CC number is obviously correct and the expiration date appears to be correct too.

If the address is correct, zip code matches, and CVV2 code matches, then it's most likely an error on Sony's end. Give it a few hours and try again. Sometimes one of the servers your credit card goes through may be down or having issues... and that in turn is returning as a decline.

Wired won't make a difference. Just give it a few hours and try again.
post #8 of 50
I was having the exact same problem!!!

Never solved it..I just gave up..weird, considering I use my credit card online all the time...its not like I am stupid..
post #9 of 50
jsut give me your credit card info. ill see if i can get it to work
post #10 of 50
I am having the EXACT same problem! I have credit cards that are valid and good and are used all the time online. I get the same dumb message from the playstation store. The info entered is exact and precise and correct...yet it tells me that it is not.

Sony has to fix this or it is impossible to purchase anything from the store!
post #11 of 50
I had a problem with one card, but not others I've used. Once I found one that works, I haven't messed with it.

FWIW, from the information I've gotten from the processing companies, the letters in the address fields don't actually matter, it's only the numbers that are matched. I've never tested it, so I can't be sure that they weren't just blowing smoke up my rear to make a sale by making it sound like they wouldn't reject cards for minor misspellings and the like.

I once had a card that wouldn't work on any transaction that required the CVV code, despite there being a CVV code printed on the back of the card! The moronic bank in question didn't support it properly. I no longer have an account with that bank.
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithLord View Post

I've been unable to get the online Sony store to accept my credit card information when filling out my Billing profile on the PS3. It always returns the message: "The credit card information is not valid. Please check your entries" even though the information is correct.

I've tried both a MasterCard and VISA, both North American-issued cards in good standing, and the banks both claim to be compatible with the AVS system that Sony is using. In fact, several of the $1 authorization charges have successfully "hit" my account, but the console still comes back with the invalid info message.

I have entered the billing information exactly as it appears on my billing statements, and confirmed with the bank that "Drive" is written as "DR" and any other variations I thought might be tripping it up. The address is simple, just a number and street name. I've also cleaned up any extra spaces that sometimes get added to text fields when you press START as the "Enter" key, and don't know what else to try.

I have a service case logged with Sony but in the meantime was wondering if anyone else had gone through a similar experience and what they did to resolve. Thanks.


I have the same problem. I see you cleaned the extra spaces, but you will have to do it under name & address in you profile again. Some how I think sony software put space several time and no one on Sony side saw that problem. If you do that and go back and setup your credit card you will be good to go. I have to do it several time to get it to work.
post #13 of 50
Now it refuses to process any information in the wallet...it simply says your credit card information cannot be updated try back in a few minutes. I've been trying since 5:00am....
post #14 of 50
Anyone have a link or email that I can use to contact Sony customer service...the wallet will no longer work...keeps telling me that it cannot update my info...try back in a few minutes.


EDIT: I contacted someone at customer service and he claims that the multiple attempts at validating the card locked me out of the system. Now I have to wait 24-36 hours to try again!!!

Incredible....
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Anyone have a link or email that I can use to contact Sony customer service...the wallet will no longer work...keeps telling me that it cannot update my info...try back in a few minutes.

I understand your pain and I have the same problem. Do the following and it will work.

Go to Account Management

Edit Account information

Under Edit the name on record for the acct. (delete what you have there and reenter and make sure no space is there).

Under Edit the residential address for the Acct. (delete what you have there and reenter and make sure no space is there). Also make sure you spell out Ln=Lane or St=Street or Blvd for some reasons Sony online don't like those in the address.

Once you do all this; go and enter you credit card information and resumbit and everything should work.
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc01 View Post

I understand your pain and I have the same problem. Do the following and it will work.

Go to Account Management

Edit Account information

Under Edit the name on record for the acct. (delete what you have there and reenter and make sure no space is there).

Under Edit the residential address for the Acct. (delete what you have there and reenter and make sure no space is there). Also make sure you spell out Ln=Lane or St=Street or Blvd for some reasons Sony online don't like those in the address.

Once you do all this; go and enter you credit card information and resumbit and everything should work.

Bingo!!!! Thanks a ton for the advice...it worked like a charm!
post #17 of 50
The main credit card I use for all my purchases is Discover and I could never get PSN to accept it. So I tried another credit card and it worked fine with the same contact information entered.

Too bad for Sony, because I dislike using the other card and having to get a bill just for that one purchase. So I probably haven't bought as many things from PSN as I would have otherwise.

Annoying and no excuse for this IMO.
post #18 of 50
Thread Starter 
RESOLVED!

tdc01 had some good advice, I will also describe how mine got fixed in case anyone is still out there struggling with this...

Though I'm sure I tried this before, yesterday it worked (after the firmware upgrade, not sure if that had anything to do with it or not):

My credit card statement address looks like this:

FIRSTNAME X LASTNAME
300 YARD DR
SOMEPLACE, SOMEWHERE LNL NLN (Canadian postal code)

In my Account Settings, my info had been entered during setup like this:

Firstname Lastname
300 Yard Drive
Someplace, Somewhere LNL NLN

When you go into Billing Info and edit the billing address before submitting for verification, it automatically fills in the info from the Account Info side. If you edit this info to match your statement from this screen, it seems to fail.

Follow what tdc01 said: go into your Account Info and delete/re-enter all the info as it appears on your credit card statement. For me the middle initial did not matter. Ensure all extra spaces are removed from the text fields.

When I went back to Billing Info, the address was already filled in correctly and the verification went through smoothly.

Like I said, I had tried this before and it failed, but there might have been a slight difference or a problem with verification. Who knows, but it seems fine now :-)

Thanks for the help!
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithLord View Post

I've been unable to get the online Sony store to accept my credit card information... several of the $1 authorization charges have successfully "hit" my account, but the console still comes back with the invalid info message.

Has anyone else been billed these $1 authorization charges? I just had several failed attempts while entering the credit card information. However I've also read that these $1 charges are "dummy" charges for verifying the card, which would refunded within several days. Does anyone know about this?
post #20 of 50
BTW, I've had the same problems. I'll try some of these tips tonight.

As far as the $1 charges, they are just there temporarily. They automatically disappear after a couple of days usually.
post #21 of 50
Hey guys I have a pre-paid visa card and it has the same problem!! I did what tdc01 AND Sith lord said and it still says "the information on file is not Valid". Im really getting pissed at this. Can someone please help??
post #22 of 50
maybe use the prepaid credit card for some other purpose & grab a psn card. they're much easier to use & cheaper to buy (no activation fee)
post #23 of 50
you always could buy a psn card with your prepaid card & save the hassle too. those pre-paid's can be finicky.
post #24 of 50
those pre-paid cards are also fee traps. avoid them if at all possible.

IMO, the easiest way is to do it from a PC on the playstation web site.
post #25 of 50
debit cards don't work.
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

debit cards don't work.

Mine does.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez View Post

Mine does.

As does mine.
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

As does mine.

Along with mine.
post #29 of 50
well mine doesn't! I wish it did...
post #30 of 50
I think your right funkymunky123, I should use my pre paid card on something else. Are you sure psn cards will work, cause I really dont want to see another NOT VALID again. How can you use them on psn?? Also, do these cards have alot of fees?? Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › "Credit card information is not valid..."