or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 429

post #12841 of 13494
Forgot to mention that this is the very first time I recall ever having an issue with a Sony title, which is what makes me suspect a bad disc.
post #12842 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs View Post

Given that most of my viewing will likely be Disney DVD's, would it be worth downgrading to 1.4? Is that even possible?

As stated already, yes, this is not a problem. I have gone back and forth with many firmwares and never had any ill effects. Just a pain to wait for the load of firmware when you have to go back to play a Disney title. I recommend picking up a spare one off of eBay that you can keep 1.4 on and only use for the problematic Disney titles and the odd newer Disney DVD you happen to want to watch. Then you have a spare player, and loader (the most likely component to fail).

I have pretty much given up hope that there will ever be another update. Once I get around to getting a larger nicer component rack/cabinet/stand that will accommodate more gear (or get rid of one or two) I can install my Pioneer BD that my mom is giving me and break out the A35 (or keep a Sammy hooked up for HDs and DVDs).
post #12843 of 13494
^Are you sure about that? I thought you were here for the long haul (until it breaks and there are no available replaceable parts).
post #12844 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Are you sure about that? I thought you were here for the long haul (until it breaks and there are no available replaceable parts).

I am. I should have clarified. Eventually I will go get my moms pioneer that has never been used other then for testing and put it in for the odd times that the 5k misbehaves. It's pretty rare that a movie I really want to watch does not play. Sure I have tested many for the benefit of all those that are here, but i don't have time for that, anymore, especially since Sammy isn't releasing updates anyway.
post #12845 of 13494
The woman in black played all the way through without trouble so I assume my player is fine and that I got a bad TRD, or that title has issues with the 5k which I doubt. I forgot to mention that the new funky menu video did not play o. TRD but it did on TWiB. I have noticed the last few recently released Sony titles I have played have an updated fancy menu with full motion movie background video. I can only assume that due to the bad disc the player was unable to load up the movie/video?
post #12846 of 13494
Have fun with it. In hindsight, I should've bypassed HD DVD and just waited for Oppo to release...that's how happy I am with their hardware offering(s). I would've missed some cheap HD DVDs, but life is all about tradeoffs.
post #12847 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Have fun with it. In hindsight, I should've bypassed HD DVD and just waited for Oppo to release...that's how happy I am with their hardware offering(s). I would've missed some cheap HD DVDs, but life is all about tradeoffs.

New older BDs and used ones are now much lower in cost than even when the HD-DVD fire sale was on. At least for the decent movies. Sure I bought a bunch for a buck, but the vast majority of my favorite and must have movies on HD were $10+ even after the format tanked. So ya, all of us should have waited, but I like old obsolete formats that are in some respects better than the current tech. I've always been that way. Always want to be able to play anything. When I grow up and get rich I want two rooms in my mansion, one would be a working a/v technology museum that would be outfitted and capable of playing every audio and video format created. The other would be a stereo only room. I've had a home theater in the last two homes I have owned. Albeit they are in the "family" room, but still qualify as "home theaters"
post #12848 of 13494
haha, yes on the latter points. HD DVD vs. Blu-ray was the first video format war I've ever engaged (didn't ever care about DVD). In the realm of audio hardware, I loved minidisc for its recording capability (never caught on unfortunately due to Sony overpricing), and I've always been fascinated by audio compression algorithms (and have enthusiastically followed MP3, MPC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA and AAC over the past decade+).
post #12849 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

haha, yes on the latter points. HD DVD vs. Blu-ray was the first video format war I've ever engaged (didn't ever care about DVD). In the realm of audio hardware, I loved minidisc for its recording capability (never caught on unfortunately due to Sony overpricing), and I've always been fascinated by audio compression algorithms (and have enthusiastically followed MP3, MPC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA and AAC over the past decade+).

I prefer FLAC. Really nice and fast to work with for lossless audio and you can find plenty of ultra high 96/24 vinyl dubs out there that sound unreal and fantastic. One of my next purchases will be some high quality headphones, a tube headphone amp and a external DAC. I will use that as the beginning basis for my stereo only room that I am going to set up in my now empty sons bedroom. I will add a pair of M-audio bi-amped/powered studio monitors and probably the old sub from the HT (just ordered a new sub and center). That way I can go in a cave inside the "man cave" and listen to music to my hearts content and not bother the boss. It's been ages since I have had a decent stereo only set-up and decent headphones. Want to get back into that now that the kids have moved out and we have all this new found space.
post #12850 of 13494
My Sony player got a firmware update a few days ago... don't know what it updated as I haven't had any movie playback issues.

It's such a shame Samsung is leaving everyone hanging on their older players. I can't even believe I'm cheering for Sony, but I kind of have to here!

My Samsung still gets use in the living room... but it is so sad that it looks like it is being left behind. At least I stuck to my promise and my next player is not a Samsung.
post #12851 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

My Sony player got a firmware update a few days ago... don't know what it updated as I haven't had any movie playback issues.

It's such a shame Samsung is leaving everyone hanging on their older players. I can't even believe I'm cheering for Sony, but I kind of have to here!

My Samsung still gets use in the living room... but it is so sad that it looks like it is being left behind. At least I stuck to my promise and my next player is not a Samsung.

Hands down, Sony is the best at keeping up the firmware. Being the father (and mother) of the format, I would expect nothing else. Might also explain why I have never seen an issue with a Sony disc on the 5k as they probably conform to the "standards" exactly? I have seen issues with every other studio except for Sony. I also understand their players are also quite good. I owned a BDP-s200 for a time and it was mostly boxed up in the basement since I had it hooked up to our bedroom TV with the A35 for a short period of time then I found a new LG BH200 for next to nothing so I swapped it out. Later I gave said player to my daughter and her husband as a belated wedding gift (after I got over the sticker shock of the wedding). I never had issues with it and my daughter/Son-in-law have not complained about any issues.

If I were to go out and buy one now Sony would be on the top of the list along with Pioneer, Panasonic and possibly Tosh? I have also read up on the Oppos, but they are a little rich for my blood. Maybe someday.
post #12852 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I prefer FLAC. Really nice and fast to work with for lossless audio and you can find plenty of ultra high 96/24 vinyl dubs out there that sound unreal and fantastic. One of my next purchases will be some high quality headphones, a tube headphone amp and a external DAC. I will use that as the beginning basis for my stereo only room that I am going to set up in my now empty sons bedroom. I will add a pair of M-audio bi-amped/powered studio monitors and probably the old sub from the HT (just ordered a new sub and center). That way I can go in a cave inside the "man cave" and listen to music to my hearts content and not bother the boss. It's been ages since I have had a decent stereo only set-up and decent headphones. Want to get back into that now that the kids have moved out and we have all this new found space.

I like FLAC also, just forgot to mention any lossless audio. It's overkill for mobile and portable audio, but for multichannel high rez audio, it's king. I've become hooked on such audio presentations to the point that regular stereo sounds comparatively dull to me. What feeds my addiction is the USB drive support and FLAC multichannel support native to the Oppo. It's a real easy way to listen to backed up discs without meddling with them (haven't graduated to doing this for video due to the sheer size required and the known complications, but it's a snap with DVD-A discs).
post #12853 of 13494
Ok well. I rented this from the RedBox since they sent me a free code today and it is hopelessly rented out all the time at all the Blockbusters near me.

Had a h*ell of a time getting it to play. Loaded up just fine and had to skip through a bunch of previews, but froze on the first menu indicator on the front panel before the main menu. Hit stop twice then menu and could get through that part then it froze right before playing the movie. Had to hit stop twice again and then I got the movie to start. I will play with it a little more once I am done watching the movie and play with the extra features a bit. Got it turned up loud in 7.1 and the boss goes to beddieby early so I need to get through it.

BTW the 7.1 soundtrack is pretty amazing on this one.
post #12854 of 13494
"It's a Sony!" Hmmmm...well that was interesting. Underworld:Awakining played fine once I got it started and now it also loads up just fine with and without a power restart. It could be my player got some bad temp Sony code from the bad Rum Diaries disc over the weekend? Or another issue. I used to see this issue with Universal and Paramount discs back in the day when you had to load them twice to get them going. Seems that is going on now with new Sony titles.

This all happened since I was saying just the other day that I had never had problems with Sony titles. I spoke too soon.

Watching it again since I got distracted with some issues and did not pay attention. Also the 7.1 surround is quite incredible on this one as I stated before. Actually the first 7.1 disc I have had time to watch all the way through so far.
post #12855 of 13494
Note: I was told that the new Underworld was a prequel, not a sequel as it is. Rise of the Lycans is the prequel. It's been a while since I have watched the 1st 2 on DVD and I own the BDs but they are sealed. I was and am a little lost. I will have to go back and watch the 1st two and I also own the prequel/RotL, but haven't watched that either.

I don't understand why the one dude got his face sliced off in one of the other movies (there is a flashback) but then he is back in this one? Perhaps it is because he is a vamp and has regenerative capabilities?

I will have to pick this one up used for cheep in the future to complete my Underworld collection.
post #12856 of 13494
The vamp elder who had his face chopped off diagonally/in half in Lycans? I don't think he's back, as the elder of the enclave in the new movie is a different actor. I had only the Lycans on HD DVD (import) but have since sold it. Redboxed the new one but am frankly tired of Beckinsale and the wonderwoman vamp antics. The CGI of the werewolves was pretty fantastic-looking at least.
post #12857 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The vamp elder who had his face chopped off diagonally/in half in Lycans? I don't think he's back, as the elder of the enclave in the new movie is a different actor.
I had only the Lycans on HD DVD (import) but have since sold it. Redboxed the new one but am frankly tired of Beckinsale and the wonderwoman vamp antics. The CGI of the werewolves was pretty fantastic-looking at least.

Don't you mean Underworld? I don't see how Rise of The Lycans could have been out on HD since it came out in '09. Not sure if the movie or the BD came out that year but both postdate the demise of the HD format.

I think I am going to watch Underworld, then Evolution again, then Lycans and then try Awakenings again so I don't get lost. Course I own all the Resident Evil flicks on BD also and haven't watched that series either. I enjoyed the 7.1 enough that I might as well complete my Underworld collection and add Awakenings once I can find an ultra cheep used copy.
post #12858 of 13494
I'm as confused (if not more so) than you. wink.gif Yes, it looks like the last HD DVD was of Underworld: Evolution (import only): http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/63931/filmax-announces-underworld-evolution-hd-dvd-specs-and-box-art.html

I don't care enough to start from the beginning unfortunately (or fortunately, lol).
post #12859 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I'm as confused (if not more so) than you. wink.gif Yes, it looks like the last HD DVD was of Underworld: Evolution (import only): http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/63931/filmax-announces-underworld-evolution-hd-dvd-specs-and-box-art.html
I don't care enough to start from the beginning unfortunately (or fortunately, lol).

Ok looks like both of the 1st two were released on HD. I thought that only the 1st one "Underworld" was released on HD. I never got interested in importing those since they are on BD in the US. The only import HDs I bought were ones that I wanted to own and were not on BD (in the states or elsewhere) or ones I had a really hard time finding in US releases or situations where I could the UK versions for cheeper than in the US. I think there was a place called "The Hut"? where I bought 3 or 4 that way. I was also able to get the Star Trek season 1 in the UK version when Amazon UK had it for an insanely low price. I can't play the DVD side on the 5K since they are PAL region 2 discs, but I can play them on another player. Besides I have the US DVD remastered sets backed up on DVDs and the HD side of season 1.
post #12860 of 13494
I generally did the same, but I also grabbed a few if the price was low enough (think that one was only $10). There are also some HD DVDs that have better specs than their Blu-ray counterparts.
post #12861 of 13494
In time loaded and played fine for me over the weekend and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Worth a rent.
post #12862 of 13494
Yea, better than I thought as well, but pretty damn goofy all the same.
post #12863 of 13494
Tower Heist loaded and played fine for me over the weekend. I did have a little trouble with it at first since I had had a bunch of different discs in, including music DVDs etc. in it, but after a power toggle and reload things went off without a hitch. It is one of those with a resume feature and I often have to load those twice for some reason anyway. This was a RedBox rental and the disc did have some scratches, but the 5K liked it just fine.
post #12864 of 13494
Just a quick note that both John Carter and The Secret World of Arrietty require 1.4 to load and play. Even with 1.4 John Carter has some on screen anomalies while loading, but nothing that prevents playing the movie.

I had to break my project player with 1.4 loaded on it out of the storage room. I don't think it has seen the light of day, so to speak, for quite some time, probably many months. Still works like a champ.

I also own Castle In the Sky and Whisper of the Heart, but they are still sealed. I had an extra Castle... and a new Secret... but I took them back to Costco since I found a good deal on a used Secret... online. That was just ordered yesterday, but I have a rental from Block Buster by mail that I have had for over a week now and haven't gotten to until now. Thought I would try it and Carter while I had it out of its box.

I stil have not had a chance to try War Horse. I might wait for that one to come on Starz. Depends on what is in the store/Red Box on my next visit. It is a long movie so and I haven't had time for long movies for a while. I can watch 3 TV shows etc. in its playtime and I'm still over a week behind on TV viewing.
post #12865 of 13494
Finally had enough with the problems and incompatability issues this player has with various BD titles... the Disney issue was probably the last straw. Didn't want to spend a lot for a new player, so I bought a new Samsung BD-E5300 player for less than $80. Plays everything I throw at it and it's sooo much faster... it's great not having to constantly wonder whether a disc will play or not.

Also, I've had it less that a month, and there have already been two (network connected) firmware updates, so I seriously doubt there will be anymore updates provided for the BD-UP5000. Anyway, enjoyed reading the commentary on this thread over the years, but for less than $80 it's worth not having to deal with the ongoing issues.

If anyone is interested in my unit, which is in very good condition, make me a reasonable offer.
Edited by mrjgkelly - 6/22/12 at 6:58pm
post #12866 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post

Finally had enough with the problems and incompatability issues this player had with variou BD titles... the Disney issue was probably the last straw. Didn't want to spend a lot for a new player, so I bought a new Samsung BD-E5300 player for less than $80. Plays everything I throw at it and it's sooo much faster... it's great not having to constantly wonder whether a disc will play or not.
Also, I've had it less that a month, and there have already been two (network connected) firmware updates, so I seriously doubt there will be anymore updates provided for the BD-UP5000. Anyway, enjoyed reading the commentary on this thread over the years, but for less than $80 it's worth not having to deal with the ongoing issues.

I hear ya. I just ordered a Yammy BDA1010 universal player today. Cost me just over $13 out of my pocket. Not bad since it is a a $600 player. I hope it works out since I have read there are issues with it, but I will be able to retire my old DVD-Audio/SACD/DVD player and free up the HDMI3/DVI port on my TV for the Cable box then I can hook the 5K up to the TV also since I will probably only play DVDs with it and get the A35 out of storage and use it on HDMI1 that will be open from the cable box and still be able to use HDMI3 for the RoKu and HTPC/LT then I will just have to use the D-VHS deck via component through the AVR, which is fine since it's HDMI audio out is not compatible with my Denon anyhow. I will have to deep six the old DTV Tivo box which is unplugged at the moment anyhow to make the space for the A35 and Yammy. I think there will be plenty of room in the space that has the 5K/DVD/DTV-Tivo now. I might have to lower the shelf a bit, but I have plenty of room now that I have the Moca 500GB Comtastic cable box.

This will be nice since I really need to invest in a digital only Internet ready AVR with HDMI1.4 and all the latest stuff. I have avoided that since I need the 7.1 analog ins for my current SACD/DVD-Audio player that lacks HDMI.

Thinking about it, I may not even need the 5K anymore? Perhaps up-conversion will be good enough with DVD on the Yammy that I won't miss it?

So in a few weeks look for a bunch of 5Ks to hit eBay, including a bunch of parts and many remotes. I think I still have at least a couple spare loaders left and one or two that are marginal. I have 5 fully functional machines at the moment and almost enough parts to build another. BTW - one of the loaders is brand new from Sammy, so I should be able to get a fair amount out of it.

If any of you are looking for spare parts or players, let me know. We will see how they do on eBay to set prices. And of course as soon as I sell everything Sammy will release new firmware, not.

Yes, I know I was going to go get my moms Pioneer to supplement, but I would rather have just 2-players, one for HD and one for everything else, rather than have to run 3.
post #12867 of 13494
Just curious why nobody has gone with one of the Oppo universal players? The $500 one is sounding like my 5k replacement more and more though I haven't had near the issues that some others have had. My 5k is all original and other than occasional 1.4-1.6 shuffle it's been ok.
post #12868 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjennin2 View Post

Just curious why nobody has gone with one of the Oppo universal players? The $500 one is sounding like my 5k replacement more and more though I haven't had near the issues that some others have had. My 5k is all original and other than occasional 1.4-1.6 shuffle it's been ok.

I also considered/am considering the $500 Oppo. I think it might decode HDCD which is something that my new Yammy will not do. Crutchfield only carried the $grand Oppo and I wanted to stretch my Discover Cash back, but not that far. There is a possibility I may be returning a new center channel I just ordered (a Mirage) since I can get it on Amazon for way less (the Def. Tech. I recently bought has too shrill of a twetter for my taste), but then I will have quite the credit at Crutchfield. If I also return the Yammy I will have even more and may consider one of the other high end players or even the Oppo, I also ordered up a DAC/Headphone amp, 2 sets of headphones (one closed one open back) and a new set of front channels to go with either of the centers I have been trying out. Also I am going to have a bunch of reward points and have some coupon codes so I will have to choose between a new AVR or a new HDP. I really don't need or want a new AVR and don't really need a new player, but I want one. I just wish that Crutch... would carry the less expensive Oppo and I would pick up an outlet stock of one of these in a heartbeat.

I am like you, not really a big deal and I have two 5Ks in the man cave now hooked up one with 1.6 which is the main permanent player and one with 1.4 for all the recent Disny movies that have come out and I need to watch.
post #12869 of 13494
Wow mr.kludge...you have quite a bit more gear than I do from the sound of it. My 5k has been mostly great despite the occasional fw swaps but it is soooooo slow compared to my cheapie Sony S470 in the living room and no Netflix or anything...etc.

I would like to upgrade my audio gear someday but my small Onkyo powers my Axiom speakers admirably and the Outlaw sub pounds through my chest when you crank it up. Higher end Axioms and more powerful Onkyo someday but I have a feeling my 5k might no live quite that long. Would love to hear about your experience with the Oppo IF you end up with one since you have such intimate knowledge of the 5k. smile.gif
post #12870 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjennin2 View Post

Wow mr.kludge...you have quite a bit more gear than I do from the sound of it. My 5k has been mostly great despite the occasional fw swaps but it is soooooo slow compared to my cheapie Sony S470 in the living room and no Netflix or anything...etc.
I would like to upgrade my audio gear someday but my small Onkyo powers my Axiom speakers admirably and the Outlaw sub pounds through my chest when you crank it up. Higher end Axioms and more powerful Onkyo someday but I have a feeling my 5k might no live quite that long. Would love to hear about your experience with the Oppo IF you end up with one since you have such intimate knowledge of the 5k. smile.gif

Well hopefully the Yammy universal (not really universal, not HDCD decode) will work out and not have too many bugs and I won't have to go the Oppo route. I got the Yammy more for audiophile stuff as it's video on SD conversion is not near that of the 5K or upper end Opps (or probably even the low end one?). I have other stuff for SD DVD conversion etc. and rarely if ever watch DVDs anymore since most of what I want to watch that is not on BD is being streamed now and I am lazy. Apparently the Yammy HD BD performance is supposed to be as good or better than the Oppo and I have read that the audio is better also. It streams out the HDMI at 192K and beets out a bunch of other stuff out there. I don't even know if my AVR will be able to handle it. If I end up with a new AVR, great it's been 3-4 years since I upgraded and I usually do that every couple years anyhow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ