or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 435

post #13021 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I have also been getting these updates and at first I was excited that maybe the 5K got upgraded NF capability ;-). Seems like I have been seeing them for over a year or so. I don't think any of the devices I have registered have the capability, but for some reason they think they do. Probably one of those things that if you have any Sammy BD player registered they assume that t has NF streaming capability.
So are you saying that you have seen other Summit releases with lossy audio. I looked and I have watched a few movies from them since Red other than Man on a Ledge. I don't Drive Angry being lossy. I watched The Beaver, but I think it was on a premium channel. I own Breaking Dawn part 1, but I have not opened or watched it yet.
Don't rely on my shoddy memory! It's full of holes (made a stressful multistate move last year also). Red left quite a mark as being the first neutered beast of its kind, but perhaps why I didn't actively notice any lossy audio-limited rental discs again until the Lionsgate debacle is because they stopped the practice altogether. Haven't seen those latter 3 films you mentioned.
post #13022 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I read through that and remembered that the BD-UP5000 was only released in North America that I recall. That coupled with the fact that region 1/A Sammys are next to impossible to region code hack tells me that it is probably not possible. It would be nice if it was and maybe if I get bored some day I might try it on my project player. If there was a hack it might help with the "The disc cannot be played. Please Check the TV system. " message that comes up with some newer Disney DVDs that won't play in 1.6, but do in 1.4. The message makes me think this is a NTSC/PAL thing rather than region, but since I have no non-region 1 and only region free and region 1 discs it makes it hard to check. I do have a couple PAL discs and I get the exact same message, which is why I think for some reason the 1.6 firmware is tripping up those discs or that Disney did something new a few years ago that at one time Sammy fixed, but did not get put into the 1.6 code. I think the PAL discs I have are region free, but might be keyed to a different region. Hard to tell since I have no hardware that reports the region, though my mac might give me a clue?

Thanks for the explanation. That would be the reason why all those tricks don't work in our BD-UP5000 players.
About the PAL discs not being played, maybe it's a 50Hz related issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

FYI - I finally got around to calling Samsung today to get status in a new firmware and report recent movie issues. The status is that firmware is still being worked on and I reported The Avengers, Expendibles II and Prometheus as having issues. I have not yet reported The Avengers through the official online system since I just remembered that I have not tried to play mine yet. When I do and verify I will get that one submitted as well. It has the same old Disney issue anyway so a fix for one should fix all.
At least this time I got into the agent very quickly and they could find me and my transaction number and knew about the issues. Maybe someday we will see an update.

Thanks again for your continuous efforts reporting all these issues to Samsung. Hope they'll finally fix them...

Regards
post #13023 of 13494
Oh dear. I need to correct myself here and call Sammy back. It is AL:VH that has issues and not the Expendibles II. Getting old. The Expendibles II rental has issues, but nothing Samsung can do anything about.
post #13024 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Oh dear. I need to correct myself here and call Sammy back. It is AL:VH that has issues and not the Expendibles II. Getting old. The Expendibles II rental has issues, but nothing Samsung can do anything about.

Haha, know that feeling. Shame I have to haul my cheapie Sony s470 up to media room to do stand in duty for the 5k just to watch AL:VH...

Love the support with this player tongue.gif
post #13025 of 13494
Both Margaret and Savages loaded and played without issue.
post #13026 of 13494
I can confirm that The Dark Knight Rises plays fine cool.gif
post #13027 of 13494
Sorry, duplicated
post #13028 of 13494
Empire of the Sun played without issues smile.gif
post #13029 of 13494
I want to see that one. Did you purchase it outright? I can't fathom paying $25+ for a catalog anymore.
post #13030 of 13494
I've purchased it with the TDKR within a 'buy one, get one free' promotion

Regards!

P.S. Both of them are a must have tongue.gif
post #13031 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by viericrespo View Post

I've purchased it with the TDKR within a 'buy one, get one free' promotion
Regards!
P.S. Both of them are a must have tongue.gif
Wow, where was this promotion!?
post #13032 of 13494
A local one, not available in the US.

On the other hand, during all this weekend amazon.com has been giving a 5$ discount for purchases greater than 25$.

For this reason, I've purchased the forever Marilyn collection. I'll post results when I receive it tongue.gif
post #13033 of 13494
Ah, figures. The last Blu-ray BOGOs I vividly remember here in the states were during the height of the HD DVD/Blu-ray format war. tongue.gif
post #13034 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by viericrespo View Post

I can confirm that The Dark Knight Rises plays fine cool.gif
Bought the Trilogy BD set. TDKR played fine. Recently picked up the SW Saga at a pawn for $10, been enjoying that. My 5000 is still live and kicking. Bought an LG 55" LM6400, great picture. But it will not accept 1080P/24 from the 5000. Wonder why?
post #13035 of 13494
Rumor has it that a new firmware update will be coming out and available next week on Thursday, December 20, 2012.
post #13036 of 13494
How convenient, a day before the end of the world.
post #13037 of 13494
Hey all. If this is the wrong place, please feel free to PM me and kindly let me know. I have my player on sale over at ebay. Everything is working well on it and cosmetically, it looks really good. If you are interested, the listing is #170959946561. Thanks!
post #13038 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantYo View Post

Rumor has it that a new firmware update will be coming out and available next week on Thursday, December 20, 2012.

Is this a joke or something? eek.gif
post #13039 of 13494
Thanks for your posts Kludge,
I had a similar problem with the BR disc of the movie "Chronicle" yesterday. Brand new Samsung BD-ES6000 player, updated to latest software. 4th movie preview into the disk, after playing ~1 min of the preview, it started looping back to the beginning of the preview. FF would not work, CH forward wouldn't work, Disc Menu wouldn't wrok.

I tried your trick of hitting Stop and then Disc Menu, which took me to a red screen saying something like 'your player needs new s/w to play this disk'. Was on the phone w/ Samsung several times, reset the player, and through direct connect support, they told me my player had the latest s/w.

Back to Blockbuster and exchanged the disc for another BR of the same movie... the exact same looping problem in the same preview!! Took it over to my neighbors house, and in his BR player... same exact problem and place. Now my neighbor's player is def not updated and over 1 year old. But I guess the Mfrs punched out a few discs of that movie "Chronicle" that were defective. Odd, I never had a looping error on a DVD.

I'm a little disappointed in the controls. On my DVD players, you can hit Pause, then FF or Rev buttons >> or << to go 1/16th speed forward or back, and zoom in, moving the center. Well the ES6000 isn't Samsung's newest player, and it was pretty inexpensive.

What are some of your top few movie titles to watch in Blu-ray?

Cheers,
post #13040 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by epowerfan View Post

Thanks for your posts Kludge,
I had a similar problem with the BR disc of the movie "Chronicle" yesterday. Brand new Samsung BD-ES6000 player, updated to latest software. 4th movie preview into the disk, after playing ~1 min of the preview, it started looping back to the beginning of the preview. FF would not work, CH forward wouldn't work, Disc Menu wouldn't wrok.
I tried your trick of hitting Stop and then Disc Menu, which took me to a red screen saying something like 'your player needs new s/w to play this disk'. Was on the phone w/ Samsung several times, reset the player, and through direct connect support, they told me my player had the latest s/w.
Back to Blockbuster and exchanged the disc for another BR of the same movie... the exact same looping problem in the same preview!! Took it over to my neighbors house, and in his BR player... same exact problem and place. Now my neighbor's player is def not updated and over 1 year old. But I guess the Mfrs punched out a few discs of that movie "Chronicle" that were defective. Odd, I never had a looping error on a DVD.
I'm a little disappointed in the controls. On my DVD players, you can hit Pause, then FF or Rev buttons >> or << to go 1/16th speed forward or back, and zoom in, moving the center. Well the ES6000 isn't Samsung's newest player, and it was pretty inexpensive.
What are some of your top few movie titles to watch in Blu-ray?
Cheers,

I guess the trick only works with Chronicle and the 5K. Anyhow, I have 100s of BDs and HDs. Hard to say what my favorites are. I have hardly actually watched many of actual discs I own. Most of them were purchased since I either liked the movie in the theater, decided that I wanted to own the movie after renting or they are long time favorites. A few that are my all time favorites that I watch the most often are; The Family Man, Stand By Me, and a bunch of holiday movies that I try to watch at least a few of each cold, snowy season and a few others. There are actually more movies that I watch most often that are only n DVD or streaming like Fandango, Ladyhawke, Falcon and the Snowman etc. I know that the last 2 are available outside the US, but they are usually to rich for my blood, so I am waiting for the US releases.
post #13041 of 13494
The Entitled loaded and played and had only one audio dropout during a gun shot. It is a Starz/Anchor Bay title so it's DDTHD. However The Secret Life of Timothy Green will not play with 1.6. You get the castle and then a language selection screen. After selecting a language it gets stuck and you cannot press stop then menu. I played it using my 1.4 project player with no difficulty other than the odd echoing dialogue issue that I have ran into with some Disney releases. On this one it manifests itself right after Timothy and Joni go on their first bike ride. I'm not sure when or what the trigger is. I went back a bit and could not reproduce unless I went all the way back in the chapter. Pausing gets rid of the problem. I remember running into this with Mars Needs Moms multiple times and on a couple other movies that I forget (always Disney). I did not try it on my Yammy to see if the problem was there also before returning the movie.

That would be really cool if for at least one day we could enjoy a new firmware ;-) My guess is that someone spoke to support and they are releasing some firmware next week, but I seriously doubt it would be for the 5K after all this time. I may eat my words, and hope that I have to. Would love to see some of the issues with this player finally resolved.

Does everyone have a End of the World party picked to go to? It would be great to load up new firmware and go through a bunch of movies that have issues to verify to keep my mind off of the end.
post #13042 of 13494
Wow, you guys are holding strong with the Samsung. I just unpacked mine to inspect after its been sitting unused for God-knows-how long.

What firmware version is this thing on now? The last firmware update that I tried to run (can't remember the #) didn't install properly. I don't even know where to begin catching up on this player.
post #13043 of 13494
Just tried Avengers BD. Could not get past the menu screen.
post #13044 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Wow, you guys are holding strong with the Samsung. I just unpacked mine to inspect after its been sitting unused for God-knows-how long.
What firmware version is this thing on now? The last firmware update that I tried to run (can't remember the #) didn't install properly. I don't even know where to begin catching up on this player.

1.6 released 11 Jun 2010. If you believe the rumors a new one is due this week (don't hold your breath). It's also the only firmware you can still download from Sammy, though if you hunt around here you can find 1.4 which is the most stable for Disney releases but many other newer releases by other studios, mostly Fox require 1.6.
post #13045 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old AV Buff View Post

Just tried Avengers BD. Could not get past the menu screen.

How are you? You old fart. It's been ages since we heard from you. Yup, it requires 1.4 to play, and if any movie would finally prompt a new firmware it would be that one. I'm sure they have had more complaints about that one than any other in the history of the player?
post #13046 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

How are you? You old fart. It's been ages since we heard from you. Yup, it requires 1.4 to play, and if any movie would finally prompt a new firmware it would be that one. I'm sure they have had more complaints about that one than any other in the history of the player?
I'm fine. Thanks. Just haven't had much to report, until now. Avengers played ok on my son's PS3. One an earlier note, I had to set my Onkyo receiver to video pass through instead of set at 1080p only to get 1080p/24 on my new LG LM6400.
post #13047 of 13494
Just got this response form the phuckers over at Samsung...........

Hello,

This is to inform, per your escalation due to firmware, Samsung has a one year manufactures warranty. Due to the age of your unit, there is no further accommodation Samsung can offer. If you need repairs for your unit, can call your local service center, or contact 1-800-Samsung for out of warranty repairs. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

My response on their FB page........

So.....this tells me (and other customers) that no matter how much you spend on an item from Samsung, they will cease to support your product as soon as the warranty is up (including something as trivial, but necessary as FIRMWARE UPDATES). I understand if a part broke or something, but the lack of firmware support has deemed my player useless for some of the newer movies like The Avengers, that I bought 3 months ago. My son loves this movie.....he and my family have not been able to watch this BluRay I bought, because Samsung is REFUSING to stand behind their product AT ALL, since the warranty is up. As many people know....BluRay keeps changing code process to improve things and requires firmware updates on players in order to continue to play some of them and Samsung SHOULD know this and NOT include firmware as part of their "warranty" threshold. This lack of customer support is completely unacceptable and seriously needs to be addressed. I will continue to harp on Samsung regarding this issue until they do something to take care of this issue for me and other owners of this product, to MY/OUR satisfaction. I hope that this information will make some possible future purchasers think twice about buying one of Samsungs products for themselves or a loved one.......I know it has for me. :|


It appears as if they have NO plans to take care of us and/or the issues that plague the 5k. mad.gif
post #13048 of 13494
What did you ask them? It just sounds like a canned response from a know-nothing low-tier rep.
post #13049 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantYo View Post

Rumor has it that a new firmware update will be coming out and available next week on Thursday, December 20, 2012.

Crap! I don't see anything yet on the web site. My player isn't on a network, so I'm not sure if that configuration would detect anything new.

I'll keep checking the web for a couple more days and I hope my response from Samsung wasn't B.S.
post #13050 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantYo View Post

Crap! I don't see anything yet on the web site. My player isn't on a network, so I'm not sure if that configuration would detect anything new.
I'll keep checking the web for a couple more days and I hope my response from Samsung wasn't B.S.

The updates stopped showing up on the player's network checking feature quite a while before they stopped coming at all. I have not been holding my breath for any updates from Samsung (unfortunately).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ