or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 14

post #391 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

I do own foreign HD DVDs with DTS HD MA, problem is how do I know for sure I'm hearing MA and not just the core out of my analog outs ?

The only potential way is if your AVR has a light or text display to indicate sound format. On my Onkyo it has individual DTS and HD MSTR lights as well as displaying in text the format when it starts. If you AVR doesn't have indicators then honestly I don't know.
post #392 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDAstro View Post

For sure. There are so many combos of player, display, and possibly processors as well that there is no simple "it works" or "it doesn't work" answer. Try it if you have one ordered from a place that allows no cost returns and return it if it sucks.

Unfortunately, the situation is actually far, far worse than that.

The problem is that new discs come out weeks, months, or even years after purchase, that simply don't work with existing firmware. So we are forced to rely on the manufacturer to provide support for these players for a long time. Even the most generous return policies are hardly adequate for the *real* length of time a player must be kept and exercised before being comfortable that the player "works". The most you can say is that it works with the discs you've tried.

This is why I think experiences with Samsung's other Blu-Ray products becomes highly relevant to this discussion about the 5000. You *WILL* be relying on Samsung to produce new firmware in order to play future releases. And when they demonstrate that they're incapable of producing such firmware updates without breaking basic player functionality (the 24p problem I keep droning on about), well... I think people oughtta know that and factor it into their decision-making process.
post #393 of 13494
Wellllllll, I jumped over from two days on the anticipation thread to see what the new Owners had to say.

I have to be honest with you. The reactions that some people are posting to the information that the Owners put here leaves me a little embarrassed to be part of AVS. If I was an Owner, I don't know if I'd even bother.

Some of it is just kidding around, I'm sure. But I gotta hand it to the folks that rush out and buy these new units. An optimist has always appealed to me, rather than a pestimist.

Can we at least give these people a little time to enjoy their purchase? I, too, have decided to wait for some of the in-depth Professional reviews, but I sincerely Thank the Owners who have bothered to post so the rest of us can quench a bit of our thirst.

I was teasing everyone 2 days ago in the anticipation Forum that -- like Uncle Ebeneezer buying that biggest, fattest turkey from the shop window -- the greatest disappointment might be to discover it's not fully cooked.

How prophetic.

But let's not spoil the dinner for everyone who is still awaiting their turn at the table. Maybe all this thing needs is a dash of salt or a bit of nutmeg. Give Samsung a chance to respond to the feedback. The one thing I do not like about these Forums is that no matter what you purchase there is always a whole host of people ready to tell you what a giant mistake you made.

That seems, somehow, ungentlemanly to me.

Here's a thought:
Let's pass a Forum Law whereby the only people who are allowed to buy new units are the ones who have every conceivable component in their arsenal by which they can test them. You'll have to register your equipment and expertise here online. And no going to work before you post a full-fledged Review. No sleeping, either. In fact, no living any part of your life at all until our damned questions are answered. Oh, yeah -- one last thing -- the rest of us will cough up the funds to buy these units so you don't really have to risk anything. That should do it.
post #394 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post

And when they demonstrate that they're incapable of producing such firmware updates without breaking basic player functionality (the 24p problem I keep droning on about), well... I think people oughtta know that and factor it into their decision-making process.

Except it is SigmaDesigns that broke that (since it is their Firmware and SoC, supplied to Samsung). So, we need to push on the reference design makers (Broadcom, SigmaDesigns, et al) to continually support these. Everybody talks about how the fill-in-the-company fill-in-the-chip fill-in-the-function stuff works around here (DLP, SXRD, LCoS, HQV, Faroujda, etc.). Time to focus on the main system provider too.

A few years ago, up until two years ago, I was choosing every single part on a board, and getting into the firmware and software, if not writing drivers and board support packages outright. Now, you don't buy a chip from a TI / Freescale / NXP / Broadcom / etc. You get a fully supported platform with reference designs. I'm now banging on engineers at a Chinese ODM to write WinCE drivers for a Freescale part, and I have not, nor will not, see a line of code, even though I wrote the same drivers in Linux for a CirrusLogic part just a year ago. The model has changed. Board Support Packages and drivers are the not what product development companies want to do. This is the value that system providers (were chip providers) and ODMs are supposed to provide.

We are really customers of Broadcom on this player. They are who we need to worry about. Samsung and LG (and whoever next announces at CES) are just the guys carrying the inventory and branding it, and insulating Broadcom from the customer service calls.
post #395 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Owen View Post

Here's a thought:
Let's pass a Forum Law whereby the only people who are allowed to buy new units are the ones who have every conceivable component in their arsenal by which they can test them. You'll have to register your equipment and expertise here online. And no going to work before you post a full-fledged Review. No sleeping, either. In fact, no living any part of your life at all until our damned questions are answered. Oh, yeah -- one last thing -- the rest of us will cough up the funds to buy these units so you don't really have to risk anything. That should do it.

Heh. Thanks.

Now watch out, from my sleep deprived and first-weekend-off-from-work-and-partime-school-in-months-dwindling mind:

[SNARKY]
Additional law:
If you are not an owner, you ought not to post in this thread making judgements on the player. You ought to only post polite inquiries to those of us that do have it as presales questions. If you need to vent about the player but don't have one, start a "bashing thread for non-owners"
[/SNARKY]
post #396 of 13494
The problem is, I'm not aware of any Broadcom end user support line.

And Guy, I've enjoyed every one of your posts (quite hilarious to boot) and you speak the truth. I am in the queue at the buffet here, and all I'm hearing is how rotten the cook is.
post #397 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Owen View Post

Wellllllll, I jumped over from two days on the anticipation thread to see what the new Owners had to say.

I have to be honest with you. The reactions that some people are posting to the information that the Owners put here leaves me a little embarrassed to be part of AVS. If I was an Owner, I don't know if I'd even bother.

Some of it is just kidding around, I'm sure. But I gotta hand it to the folks that rush out and buy these new units. An optimist has always appealed to me, rather than a pestimist.

Can we at least give these people a little time to enjoy their purchase? I, too, have decided to wait for some of the in-depth Professional reviews, but I sincerely Thank the Owners who have bothered to post so the rest of us can quench a bit of our thirst.

I was teasing everyone 2 days ago in the anticipation Forum that -- like Uncle Ebeneezer buying that biggest, fattest turkey from the shop window -- the greatest disappointment might be to discover it's not fully cooked.

How prophetic.

But let's not spoil the dinner for everyone who is still awaiting their turn at the table. Maybe all this thing needs is a dash of salt or a bit of nutmeg. Give Samsung a chance to respond to the feedback. The one thing I do not like about these Forums is that no matter what you purchase there is always a whole host of people ready to tell you what a giant mistake you made.

That seems, somehow, ungentlemanly to me.

Here's a thought:
Let's pass a Forum Law whereby the only people who are allowed to buy new units are the ones who have every conceivable component in their arsenal by which they can test them. You'll have to register your equipment and expertise here online. And no going to work before you post a full-fledged Review. No sleeping, either. In fact, no living any part of your life at all until our damned questions are answered. Oh, yeah -- one last thing -- the rest of us will cough up the funds to buy these units so you don't really have to risk anything. That should do it.



Word. Pretty much everybody here knew a long time ago that there were going to be issues at release (DTS-MA at the very least) which require a firmware patch. Yet, when this thing comes out ahead of schedule (for the holidays no doubt) we get unrelenting criticism of the things we either knew it wasn't going to be able to do at release, or were at least aware that it might not be able to do them at release (eg. True-HD multi). Now that the basic capabilities have been somewhat confirmed, there's no need to keep rehashing how terrible it is that it doesn't do these things that we knew it probably wasn't going to do. There are firmware updates coming to fix issues, which is pretty much par for the course for every HD player release. Patience is obviously not in abundance here.
post #398 of 13494
So how has Broadcom been in the past with respect to support/updates?
post #399 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The problem is, I'm not aware of any Broadcom end user support line.

http://www.broadcom.com/contact/

Pick an option and go for it, but I am not doing that until I have a clear and complete list of fully independently reproduced issues collated from the thread.

Two things about talking to anyone in customer service if you want it to get to the technical people and get fixed:

a) Be extremely detailed (including build dates, firmware versions, and serial numbers), have steps to reproduce the problem, specify exactly what you feel the problem is and specify exactly what you think it will take to resolve it (e.g. Multichannel Dolby TrueHD is not output from the Analog outputs. Please update the firmware to provide this functionality. Also, Speaker setup is missing a number of standard options. Please update firmware to add configuration for channel levels, speaker distances, crossover points or set to the THX standard of 80Hz, and provide option for 6.1 with single center surround).


b) Whinny emotional screeds don't work to fix problems. They only make non-technical people react sometimes poorly, thus discounting the entire problem and never passing the info to the person who can fix it.

Remember, there is a team of people, perhaps even just one, somewhere on the planet, that is ultimately the one that will fix an issue. Talk as if they are in front of you, perhaps sharing a cubical.
post #400 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Owen View Post


Here's a thought:
Let's pass a Forum Law whereby the only people who are allowed to buy new units are the ones who have every conceivable component in their arsenal by which they can test them. You'll have to register your equipment and expertise here online. And no going to work before you post a full-fledged Review. No sleeping, either. In fact, no living any part of your life at all until our damned questions are answered. Oh, yeah -- one last thing -- the rest of us will cough up the funds to buy these units so you don't really have to risk anything. That should do it.

Agreed! All of these non-owners passing judgement!
post #401 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

Ahh - an honest to goodness on-topic post

1) Is there a reason you are not using DHCP?
2) Turn on "NTP Server". This is bad nomenclature, as it means "get time from an NTP Server", not "act as NTP Server", but see if it picks up the correct time.
3) I found that it wanted a reboot after messing with network settings. Specifically: It moaned about not being able to see the firmware update site until I rebooted after messing around with the network settings.
4) I am using DHCP. I checked my DHCP server (on my Linksys W54GL router running dd-wrt, http://www.dd-wrt.com) and saw that the MAC address of the 5000 was in the lease list (the MAC is in the 5000's network settings menu).
5) I enabled traffic logging on the router and saw the NTP request going out and back, as well as the firmware request (which is how I found the link to the firmware update portal in one of my early posts Friday night).

Sileas,
Yes there's a good reason why I'm not using DHCP. I have a 20 node network here including 6 servers and I want to control exactly which device has which IP address. I know I could set-up a DHCP server with reserved addresses but why? It's all behind a firewall that controls who can get to what.
Anyway, I made all the network changes and then power cycled the 5000. The settings are all there but I can't ping it and it doesn't see the network when I try to check for updates. I've got NTP enabled but it still isn't getting the time because it can't connect with the network.

?????
post #402 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

So how has Broadcom been in the past with respect to support/updates?

No record. They are an insulated B2B company. But as they take over more and more responsibility of the design, they become more and more a company that needs to hear from end customers. Put it this way: Dell and Gateway put a bunch of parts together that run on AMD / Intel processors with Microsoft Software. In this case, Broadcom is both AMD / Intel and Microsoft, and Samsung is Dell / Gatewa. Do you expect Dell / Gateway will really help you with a problem with Windows Media Player beyond the basic usage help provided by first level support?
post #403 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post

Sileas,
Yes there's a good reason why I'm not using DHCP. I have a 20 node network here including 6 servers and I want to control exactly which device has which IP address. I know I could set-up a DHCP server with reserved addresses but why? It's all behind a firewall that controls who can get to what.
Anyway, I made all the network changes and then power cycled the 5000. The settings are all there but I can't ping it and it doesn't see the network when I try to check for updates. I've got NTP enabled but it still isn't getting the time because it can't connect with the network.

?????

Sounds like my place. First off, it does not respond to pings (see my earlier posts from Friday). Since you have a pretty advanced network, turn some logging on for your router and look to see what is going on. The thing does NTP requests as it boots up. Look for those.

Additional info:
I just set mine to hardcoded values, and I have no problem getting time and checking for firmware updates, as confirmed by my router logs. Recheck your setup, the seating of the RJ45 connector (are you getting Link /Activity lights on the switch? There are none on the 5000), and check your router logs.
post #404 of 13494
I have a Oppo 981 hooked to a Samsung LCD and have had some serious macro blocking problems. I was just curious if any owners had experienced any macro blocking when upscaling the regular DVDs with the UP5000.
post #405 of 13494
Now that is odd. Now it responds to pings. Perhaps hardcoding the IP opens up some ports.

Neato. I wonder what else is open now.
post #406 of 13494
Does anybody remember getting the A1, last year, or even the
PS3 over a year ago..In both cases in took a long time , and several
patches before the players really worked properly..

I think there has been far too much emphasis on these new audio codec's
such as DtS-HD or True-Hd. Sure it would be great if they work in 5.1 or
7.1 but currently things in Uncompressed 5.1, are amazing. Actually most
hi-def discs even on DD-Plus can be great. My main focus is still on a quality
audio/video system, room acoustics, and quality recordings.

If this player can play both formats, and the knowliedge that updates
in firmware are coming, I suggest we enjoy Hi-Def

Bob
post #407 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

Now that is odd. Now it responds to pings. Perhaps hardcoding the IP opens up some ports.

Neato. I wonder what else is open now.

Heh.... funny. If you don't get this, sorry. I'm not going into all the details. If you know how to read this, then it's for you. If not, then it's not.

Quote:


Starting Nmap 4.50 ( ) at 2007-12-16 17:52 Pacific Standard Time
Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 17:52
Scanning 192.168.140.96 [1 port]
Completed ARP Ping Scan at 17:52, 0.34s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 17:52
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 17:52, 5.55s elapsed
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 17:52
Scanning 192.168.140.96 [1711 ports]
Increasing send delay for 192.168.140.96 from 0 to 5 due to 61 out of 152 dropped probes since last increase.
Discovered open port 111/tcp on 192.168.140.96
Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 17:53, 29.38s elapsed (1711 total ports)
Initiating Service scan at 17:53
Scanning 1 service on 192.168.140.96
Completed Service scan at 17:53, 6.00s elapsed (1 service on 1 host)
Initiating OS detection (try #1) against 192.168.140.96
Initiating RPCGrind Scan against 192.168.140.96 at 17:53
Completed RPCGrind Scan against 192.168.140.96 at 17:53, 0.00s elapsed (1 port)
SCRIPT ENGINE: Initiating script scanning.
Host 192.168.140.96 appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on 192.168.140.96:
Not shown: 1710 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
111/tcp open rpcbind 2 (rpc #100000)
MAC Address: 00:16:6C:1A:84:1C (Samsung Electonics Digital Video System Division)
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.6.X
OS details: Linux 2.6.9 - 2.6.15 (x86)
Uptime: 0.009 days (since Sun Dec 16 17:40:55 2007)
Network Distance: 1 hop
TCP Sequence Prediction: Difficulty=201 (Good luck!)
IP ID Sequence Generation: All zeros

Read data files from: C:\\Program Files\\Nmap
OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at ... .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 48.143 seconds
Raw packets sent: 1919 (86.048KB) | Rcvd: 1728 (79.818KB)
post #408 of 13494
I just hooked up my new 5000 to my Denon 4308 via HDMI and tried playing Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer with the DTS MA soundtrack and it looks like the receiver is only getting the core DTS soundtrack. I have the player set to bitstream audiophile.

I think we will get the DTS MA bitstream when the 1.1 firmware upgrade comes.
post #409 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwit View Post

Does anybody remember getting the A1, last year, or even the
PS3 over a year ago..In both cases in took a long time , and several
patches before the players really worked properly..

I think there has been far too much emphasis on these new audio codec's
such as DtS-HD or True-Hd. Sure it would be great if they work in 5.1 or
7.1 but currently things in Uncompressed 5.1, are amazing. Actually most
hi-def discs even on DD-Plus can be great. My main focus is still on a quality
audio/video system, room acoustics, and quality recordings.

If this player can play both formats, and the knowliedge that updates
in firmware are coming, I suggest we enjoy Hi-Def

Bob


Huge difference for me is that my A1, A2 and XA2 all gave me great picture from day 1. Before I decide to keep this player, I will have to hear from Samsung that they will issue a firmware update for the video digital noise (or crawling black dots, whichever we decide to call it).

At least if they officially do recognize the issue, we're half way there. Now if they ignore it, then we could keep waiting for a fix forever. Luckily, I can return the player in january if we don't hear from Samsung and maybe buy it again later (most likely at a lower price) if they end up fixing it.
post #410 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

Huge difference for me is that my A1, A2 and XA2 all gave me great picture from day 1. Before I decide to keep this player, I will have to hear from Samsung that they will issue a firmware update for the video digital noise (or crawling black dots, whichever we decide to call it).

What discs do you see this on again? I can try to compare with what I have here. I have watched a bit of Transformers and all of King Kong on HD DVD and noticed no such issue. I don't have any Blu-ray discs but am borrowing a bunch tomorrow.
post #411 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post

I just hooked up my new 5000 to my Denon 4308 via HDMI and tried playing Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer with the DTS MA soundtrack and it looks like the receiver is only getting the core DTS soundtrack. I have the player set to bitstream audiophile.

I think we will get the DTS MA bitstream when the 1.1 firmware upgrade comes.

How's the picture quality?
post #412 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage000 View Post

No its not possible, the 1.3 receivers are the only ones with decoding for TrueHD and DTSHDMA built in. Yes you can pass through a 1.2 switcher as its just a digital signal passing through. You can also use the oldest HDMI cable one could find for 1.3 work. I use old $3 monoprice cables for all my 1.3 bitstreaming and they work fine. 1.3 cables add nothing except for long cable runs.

If the HD DVD player or blu-ray player decodes TrueHD, can it pass the signal to a receiver that meets the HDMI 1.2a spec. I have a Yamaha 2700, which is 1.2a HDMI. I'm wondering if I can benefit from getting a DVD player that decodes TrueHD, like the Sony 500 player. Thanks.
post #413 of 13494
[quote=eurotrance;12508917]Huge difference for me is that my A1, A2 and XA2 all gave me great picture from day 1. Before I decide to keep this player, I will have to hear from Samsung that they will issue a firmware update for the video digital noise (or crawling black dots, whichever we decide to call it).

I remember getting the A1 in June of 06..IT had a horrible intermittent
problem, that every couple discs, it would stop playing, or skip.The LFE
audio signal didn't work correctly either..These were corrected later by
firmware updates..The 5000 has been out since 12/14..


Bob
post #414 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

Sounds like my place. First off, it does not respond to pings (see my earlier posts from Friday). Since you have a pretty advanced network, turn some logging on for your router and look to see what is going on. The thing does NTP requests as it boots up. Look for those.

Additional info:
I just set mine to hardcoded values, and I have no problem getting time and checking for firmware updates, as confirmed by my router logs. Recheck your setup, the seating of the RJ45 connector (are you getting Link /Activity lights on the switch? There are none on the 5000), and check your router logs.

OK, I disconnected the RJ45 and reconnected it. Now I can ping the 5000 and I get a link light on the switch but I still can't get it to connect to NTP or check for updates. I have the network speed set to 10MBPS or higher. Is that where you have it set?
post #415 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi View Post

What discs do you see this on again? I can try to compare with what I have here. I have watched a bit of Transformers and all of King Kong on HD DVD and noticed no such issue. I don't have any Blu-ray discs but am borrowing a bunch tomorrow.

The best thing I have found to display it is Digital Video Essentials.

Mid Greyscale stuff (like the Pixel Phase test) shows it. For grins, I looked at the RGB and CMY ramps, and it seems to me like it is only there on the CMY ramps.

Also, look in the floaty bubble things to the left of the word Samsung and the HD-DVD logos on the bluish Samsung screen when the player is stopped. There is a noise there, especially noticable in the whiter areas.

This is a problem everyone can evaluate, even without discs, because it shows up in that Samsung screen. Eurotrance, can you confirm this to make sure we are seeing the same thing? I'd post high speed HD video of it, but I can't find our HD camera (I think my wife has it).
post #416 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdodge View Post

Actually, it's documented quite clearly in the manual on the Samsung web site, as many have discussed over the past few weeks, that TrueHD is limited to 2.0.

We don't know, but hope ,that this will change with the firmware upgrade that enables DTS-MA.

I meant in comparison to how they were forthcoming about MA not being available until a firmware update while sticking to "plays TrueHD" yet not openly clarifying its only 2.0, and even then most of us were still not sure if 2.0 was for analog or a misprint or what. Someone even called Samsung and the guy was clueless of the player.

As for MA, Samsung has claimed it will be available in February's update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage12 View Post

Where did you find the new XA2? Was the price discounted?

not discounted, in fact I paid more since its discontinued and people still want it. Had I known on black friday what I know now I would have bout the XA2 then for $450 than the $580 I found on ugotadeal.
post #417 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post

OK, I disconnected the RJ45 and reconnected it. Now I can ping the 5000 and I get a link light on the switch but I still can't get it to connect to NTP or check for updates. I have the network speed set to 10MBPS or higher. Is that where you have it set?

No.... that is probably your issue, unless you have a really fat pipe to the internet. I have mine set much lower (768) because that is more like my connection to the internet. The NTP and firmware updates are probably timing out very quickly. Not sure why to include this feature, but it may be so that the player doesn't sit for a very long time when there is no connection. It waits as long as it thinks is reasonable based on the throughput you set. The default for this is 56K (modem) which would be the longest wait time. Since you switched it to 10MBPS, the timeouts are probably under 1 ms.
post #418 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

The best thing I have found to display it is Digital Video Essentials.

Mid Greyscale stuff (like the Pixel Phase test) shows it. For grins, I looked at the RGB and CMY ramps, and it seems to me like it is only there on the CMY ramps.

Also, look in the floaty bubble things to the left of the word Samsung and the HD-DVD logos on the bluish Samsung screen when the player is stopped. There is a noise there, especially noticable in the whiter areas.

This is a problem everyone can evaluate, even without discs, because it shows up in that Samsung screen. Eurotrance, can you confirm this to make sure we are seeing the same thing? I'd post high speed HD video of it, but I can't find our HD camera (I think my wife has it).

Quick question on this video bug (I am still not an owner yet, but still planning to purchase).

Does this appear on video via both HDMI and Component connections or only HDMI?

My thinking is that being able to narrow it down, may provide Samsung with additional info needed to look into a fix for it.

Spence
post #419 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post

As for MA, Samsung has claimed it will be available in February's update.

Please cite your sources on this stuff. I have yet to see this anywhere in a release from anyone. This is not targeted just at you, but everyone that keeps throwing around claims like this. Give a link. If you are too much of a new poster to be able to include hyperlinks, then tell us what to search for on a search engine.

Thanks.
post #420 of 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileasResearch View Post

Please cite your sources on this stuff. I have yet to see this anywhere in a release from anyone. This is not targeted just at you, but everyone that keeps throwing around claims like this. Give a link. If you are too much of a new poster to be able to include hyperlinks, then tell us what to search for on a search engine.

Thanks.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...l?print_page=y

Quote:


The BD-UP5000 has a formidable list of features, starting with dual-format playback that includes full HDi capabilities as well as BD-Java interactivity for Blu-ray. (Samsung says the player will be BD Profile 1.1-ready and will become compliant with this new standard pending a firmware upgrade to be issued by February.) You get onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD lossless audio (and the ability to output a DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream for outboard decoding, also pending a firmware revision), optional 1080p/24 video output (the default is 1080p/60), and Silicon Optix HQV upconversion (via the Reon chip) for standard DVDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ