Originally Posted by gggunderson
I got the ONE that the Lacey, WA Best Buy store got in. Used the 10% off no problems. $719.99 + 8.4% tax = $780.47.
I'll hook it up tonight after work and post my impressions. But first, in anticipation, I have a few questions.
The important info:
This will be going my home theater room... replacing a Panasonic BD-10A, which is moving to the living room.
The receiver: via HDMI to a Denon 5805CI. (Then to a Monitor Audio Gold Signature 9.2 speaker set up.)
The display: via HDMI (from the 5805) to a JVC DLA-RS1U projector. (projected onto a 161" Draper Onyx fixed screen)
The player is in the theater room and the receiver is in an adjoining equipment room with appropriate cables (HDMI, IR, RS232, Ethernet, Speaker Cable, etc.) in the walls and at the right locations.
- Universal Remote codes? Has anyone tried the 1400 codes? I use an RTI T2-C.
- Die Hard 4? I read earlier in the thread that this disc was a problem. Has anyone tried to watch this entire movie yet? My wife and I were hoping to watch it tonight. (Probably still will... even if it's through the 10A.) ... However, now that we'll have HD-DVD in the theater, we might watch The Bourne Ultimatum. Any issues with that disc?
- SD aspect ratio and upconverting? Will it stretch 4:3 material? I like how my Panasonic keeps 4:3 material at 4:3.
- HD-DVD boot time? I'm mostly worried about the downloaded stuff. I have in my rec room an X-Box 360 with the HD-DVD addon. When Knocked Up came out, it took FOREVER to start up. After research, I found that it was downloading a bunch of stuff and I had to delete that stuff and play the movie with the network cable unplugged. Is this an issue with this player, too? (And other HD-DVD players?? I have no experience with any.)
- DVD/HD-DVD combo discs? Again, with HD-DVD on the 360, I experienced lots of issues with the combo discs... Superman Returns, Good Shepherd, etc. Has anyone had any issues with the combo discs?
- Of course, audio?? ... I've been following the thread and read the FAQ (keep up the good work)... and I'm still kinda confused. I'll wait until I hook it up and see what happens and THEN ask questions, if any, about settings and such.
- Returns? I've noticed that most of us got these players from Best Buy. Has anyone tried to return it for not being what it's advertised to be? I'm a pretty patient guy and as long as I'm not taking too many steps backwards from my Panasonic, I'm sure I'll wait. But just in case...
Thanks for any input.