or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 4219
Thread Starter 
A closeup of the SMX material.
LL
post #122 of 4219
Thanks for the pic. BTW your ceiling looks really cool! When mine goes back up, it is going to be kinda crazy looking. I will upload a pic when I get to that point. Probably 2 weeks.
post #123 of 4219
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I'm kinda going for that 'Northern Lights' look.
LL
post #124 of 4219
That is soooo cool. How did you do it?
post #125 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Thanks. I'm kinda going for that 'Northern Lights' look.

You invited some taggers from the hood to paint your ceiling?
post #126 of 4219
Thread Starter 
I started with Milano Blue as a primer and then had a buddy who paints customs for a living come in and follow this idea.
LL
post #127 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

I started with Milano Blue as a primer and then had a buddy who paints customs for a living come in and follow this idea.

Well, it looks great and, I'm sure, is a real conversation starter! Nice work.
post #128 of 4219
That is totally cool! I am blown away!!!! It will be way cooler than my Laser star array that I am working on.
post #129 of 4219
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys.

I had a chance to spend the whole day watching HD playoffs yesterday and I gotta say, there's little for me to complain about with this new projector. It's almost a little too revealing. I haven't made a single adjustment yet. I will eventually, but it's nice to see an image that you don't feel you have to adjust right out of the box. BTW, did anyone catch that quick shot of those bikini top girls in Green Bay?? Now THAT'S some crazy s**t.

I did a little test yesterday. I had the Panamorph in the path for the whole 2 games with VStretch off. I wanted to see if anyone would notice the 'stretched' image. Only 1 person out of about 30 asked how come everyone looked short and wide.


Chris
post #130 of 4219
Hey guys. I have a rs2 coming in about a week or so. I could really use some advice on a screen though. First off, I read somewhere that the rs2 should be limited to a 120'' screen. Does that jive with what you guys are seeing?

Second, I want to be able to watch some hd tv, like the superbowl for example. So, I don't want to have to keep the room completely dark. I think that rules out high gain screens. Any suggestions for a 120'' inch screen that works well with the rs2 in situations with some ambient light?

I was also thinking of getting the Onkyo 905 receiver because it does up sampling to 1080p. Is this unnecessary since the rs2 does its own up sampling?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Chris
post #131 of 4219
Thread Starter 
ccl. Hey, those are my initials too.

The little blurbs I've seen here and there on these projectors being too dark.......man, I don't see it. I watched 7 hrs. of football yesterday(totally dark room) and got to a point where I actually thought it was too bright.

I really, really like this new SMX screen. Absolutely zero hotspotting or moire. I was sitting literally up against the side wall at one point in my 18 ft wide room and the image was the same as if I was sitting in the middle.

As far as room lighting goes, if I keep the lights that are up towards the front of the room off and only go 20 to 30% intensity on the middle or rear lights, it's still pretty watchable. You get used to it pretty quickly. It's when you go from lights on to off that the image really pops out at you.

BTW, I have a perfect 9 ft wide 2.35 Firehawk for sale.......

Chris
post #132 of 4219
So what is the gain of your SMX screen. I need to order a screen -does not need to be perforated nor do I have time (nor the inclination) to make my own ..Bat cave light controlled room about 17.5 feet wide and 22.5 feet long and 9+ foot ceilings. Apparently the maximum screen width for this PJ (RS2) is 10 feet on a 2.35 screen. Trying to determine the screen gain I need. PJ distance to screen is not yet fixed (I still have flexibility since the room is not yet complete.
post #133 of 4219
I believe the SMX material is 1.16 gain. The great advantage of SMX is that it is "perforated"

My RS2 is pleny bright on a .9 gain grayhawk 124" 16:9 screen that I am testing out.
Right now it is in a room with moderately light walls and a white ceiling. If I have lights on it washes out a lot like any projected image would. I can have a light on in the back and still have a pretty good image for football or the like.

The HP screen is very high gain and good for ambient light rejection if you can mount the projector favorably to that screen.

The carada is 1.4 gain and costs a fraction of the stewart 1.3. You get pretty much the same performance for 1/4 the price.

The Firehawk is the king for ambient light rejection, but I don't think the image looks as nice as the above when you are in critical viewing situations.

Another option is a CIH setup with a wider scope screen and an anamorphic lens. You will have more brightness for your 16:9 content as it will be smaller.

As for me I need microperf as my front speakers are 9' tall by 3' wide each and I cant fit them in otherwise. I have a 10' wide microperffed Ultramatte 1500 which comes out to about 1.35 gain. I am contemplating moving to the SMX, but maybe I don't want to lose my gain either. I am more of a watch in the dark kinda guy anyway.

I'm sure I haven't made anything any more clear. Sorry.
post #134 of 4219
One other possiblitly is to do something like Tryg did. Have two screens for different situations. He seems to be happy with that and I am sure would be more than willing to spend some effort convincing you that his layout is the ultimate.

He uses the RS1 that is brighter. He will also might try to convince you to get a RS1 instead as whatever he uses is "the best"
post #135 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

I believe the SMX material is 1.16 gain. The great advantage of SMX is that it is "perforated"

My RS2 is pleny bright on a .9 gain grayhawk 124" 16:9 screen that I am testing out.
Right now it is in a room with moderately light walls and a white ceiling. If I have lights on it washes out a lot like any projected image would. I can have a light on in the back and still have a pretty good image for football or the like.

The HP screen is very high gain and good for ambient light rejection if you can mount the projector favorably to that screen.

The carada is 1.4 gain and costs a fraction of the stewart 1.3. You get pretty much the same performance for 1/4 the price.

The Firehawk is the king for ambient light rejection, but I don't think the image looks as nice as the above when you are in critical viewing situations.

Another option is a CIH setup with a wider scope screen and an anamorphic lens. You will have more brightness for your 16:9 content as it will be smaller.

As for me I need microperf as my front speakers are 9' tall by 3' wide each and I cant fit them in otherwise. I have a 10' wide microperffed Ultramatte 1500 which comes out to about 1.35 gain. I am contemplating moving to the SMX, but maybe I don't want to lose my gain either. I am more of a watch in the dark kinda guy anyway.

I'm sure I haven't made anything any more clear. Sorry.

The woven CineWeave HD SmX AT screen is 1.16 gain. Their solid screen, though, I believe is more like 1.24 gain.
post #136 of 4219
Nine foot high speakers? NINE FEET ???

By the way, thanks for the screen info. Very helpful.
post #137 of 4219
You're welcome.

Yeah they are Sound Lab Electrostats, so every inch of that is speaker. I do programming for them and some of their related companies as a labor trade so I got some really total overkill speakers as part of my labor trade. I would never ever spend that kind of cash on speakers, but if I can write some code and get some.... I will make arrangements to accomodate for the size.

Now if I could only write some apps for some of the high end amp and prepro guys...


anywho... Good luck with your screen decision. I used to live down in Sharpsburg, too bad I don't anymore. You could come down and see for yourself.
post #138 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Thanks guys.

I had a chance to spend the whole day watching HD playoffs yesterday and I gotta say, there's little for me to complain about with this new projector. It's almost a little too revealing. I haven't made a single adjustment yet. I will eventually, but it's nice to see an image that you don't feel you have to adjust right out of the box. BTW, did anyone catch that quick shot of those bikini top girls in Green Bay?? Now THAT'S some crazy s**t.

I did a little test yesterday. I had the Panamorph in the path for the whole 2 games with VStretch off. I wanted to see if anyone would notice the 'stretched' image. Only 1 person out of about 30 asked how come everyone looked short and wide.


Chris


No problem if it is too revealing with Bikini top girls.

That is funny on the VStretch. I had a friend that had the wrong mode for DVDs set so the people were all stretchy tall. He had it that way on a 60" rptv for at least a year until I pointed it out.

Heck I think he didn't like it when I switched it back to normal mode. For him the stretched people were part of the enhanced DVD look.
post #139 of 4219
I bought my RS2 in December and just made the switch to a 2.35 133 inch diagonal dalite high power. It replaced a 106 inch 16x9 dalite cinemavision. All I can say is wow!! This projector with the HP is incredible.
post #140 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl28 View Post

Hey guys. I have a rs2 coming in about a week or so. I could really use some advice on a screen though. First off, I read somewhere that the rs2 should be limited to a 120'' screen. Does that jive with what you guys are seeing?

Second, I want to be able to watch some hd tv, like the superbowl for example. So, I don't want to have to keep the room completely dark. I think that rules out high gain screens. Any suggestions for a 120'' inch screen that works well with the rs2 in situations with some ambient light?

I was also thinking of getting the Onkyo 905 receiver because it does up sampling to 1080p. Is this unnecessary since the rs2 does its own up sampling?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Chris

I'm shooting my RS2 onto a Da-Lite 106" dia. High Power in a room that is not light controlled, and the picture is phenominal. No hotspots at all. I only have 3 recliners in my HT, so angle viewing in not a problem. One thing that helps my setup is the projector is dead center with the screen - no H or V shift.
post #141 of 4219
Just got my RS2 last week which replaced the Sharp 12000. I also replaced my Dalite DaMatte screen with a Carada Brilliant White screen. My room is completely dark with no windows and I have never seen a better picture.
This projector is awesome. It is also very quiet compared to what I am used
to.
post #142 of 4219
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post

the projector is dead center with the screen - no H or V shift.

So when you zoom in/out, it zooms evenly on top and bottom?
post #143 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

So when you zoom in/out, it zooms evenly on top and bottom?

It should. That is exacly what it did when I tested it without shift center with the screen.
post #144 of 4219
Thread Starter 
I kinda figured so. Just didn't know if we ever confirmed that.

I really have to figure out a cleaner way to do the VStretch on/off. Cameron, have you noticed that when you turn the pj on, the menu starts from 'point A', so to speak, the first item on the left side of the menu. And then, if you go into and turn on/off VS; then let it time out, or exit, exit, exit......the next time you hit menu, it's not on point A anymore. It's on Source(I think), which is a couple to the right on the main menu. That's going to be hard to work in to a macro because my C4 system would have to know if the pj was on or off.........what a pain.....I suppose I could make sure a macro backed everything out to the starting position of the menu......really not something that will impress your guests.
post #145 of 4219
Yeah it sucks the way it is implemented in the useablity department. I'm sure there is a RS232 code that can switch it on and off and there probably is an IR code too. The problem is that the only guy that know it is an engineer in Japan and I don't feel like the US JVC guys are even trying to get more information for us. I have tried the distributor and the chief engineer. I tried asking Tom through some of my posts in several threads that he was actively posting in, but I haven't heard a thing. The best I was able to get was the IR codes which doesn't have any VStretch crap.

For me now, it isn't as critical as I have the Radiance in the mix and I can switch modes with a one button push.
post #146 of 4219
Thread Starter 
I'm interested to see what you think of the Radiance from an image improvement standpoint.
post #147 of 4219
So far it looks better than the internal processor for everything that I have seen. The only thing that has come close in image quality is my Toshiba XA2. My XA2 does look better than the internal scaling of the RS2 also.

The difference isn't night and day though. I notice it however. YMMV
post #148 of 4219
I am currently using an old GrayHawk microperf, (.85 gain??), 12'x5' and it looks great. I am going to upgrade to a Studiotek130 which should take care of lamp aging. Coming originally from a CRT I don't need the super brightness. The darker the room, the brighter the projector appears anyway.

My room is currently 'Mouse Ears', (lamp black). I was going to introduce some color but it actually looks rather cool so now I'm thinking of leaving it.

By the way, there are many colors of black, some even containing white! Mouse ears, (Behr), is the only one that just adds black to the base. Other paint manufacturers likely have a similar color offering.
post #149 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Olson View Post

I am currently using an old GrayHawk microperf, (.85 gain??), 12'x5' and it looks great. I am going to upgrade to a Studiotek130 which should take care of lamp aging. Coming originally from a CRT I don't need the super brightness. The darker the room, the brighter the projector appears anyway.

My room is currently 'Mouse Ears', (lamp black). I was going to introduce some color but it actually looks rather cool so now I'm thinking of leaving it.

By the way, there are many colors of black, some even containing white! Mouse ears, (Behr), is the only one that just adds black to the base. Other paint manufacturers likely have a similar color offering.

Phil, Am I right remembering you had a HD2K? If ia am what are the differences you see with the RS2? I am about to upgrade myself from a HD2K...
post #150 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post

Phil, Am I right remembering you had a HD2K? If ia am what are the differences you see with the RS2? I am about to upgrade myself from a HD2K...

OK I am not Phil, but I have a HD2K and have done some comparing.

-The RS2 has much better contrast and easily bests the HD2K in that department.

-The black level is much much better on the RS2 huge difference there.

-Color uniformity is better on the RS2

-The RS2 was brighter in the comparison, but that may be an unfair comparison as the RS2 had a new lamp and the HD2K has hours on it.

-With the motorized zoom and focus, it was much easier to get the zoom and focus just right an not take two people to do it.

-The RS2 had better sharpness overall

All in all, the RS2 blew the HD2K away. We used a Symmetry DVD player on both for SD comparison. Fellowship of the ring was used extensively for comparison as we both are very familiar with the content.

In bright scenes, the difference is less between the projectors, but in the dark scenes or misty scenes ,the RS2 is better. The HD2K looks like there is a gray haze over everything and shadow detail is hard to make out on the HD2K. With the RS2, shadow detail is excellent and the dark scenes are clear and wonderful. I was suprised that the difference was so huge between the two.

The one advantage with the HD2K is the external processor has many more configuration options than the stock RS2. e.g. NLS, position.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread