or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread - Page 119

post #3541 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post

Whenever I watch a bluray, or anything with fast moving sections, the shakiness and blur is horrible. I am starting to wonder if I have a defective projector (RS2) or if I have some settings that are off.
Please help...

I have the Pioneer version of this PJ and I do see the same defect that you mention. I believe is called Motion blur. It is not as bad as to the point of driving me crazy like you but it is annoying.
When I played the AVS HD 709 miscellaneous test pattern progressive motion 24p you can see how it jumps and it is not as smooth as when you switch the player to output 1080p60hz.
post #3542 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano View Post

I have the Pioneer version of this PJ and I do see the same defect that you mention. I believe is called Motion blur. It is not as bad as to the point of driving me crazy like you but it is annoying.
When I played the AVS HD 709 miscellaneous test pattern progressive motion 24p you can see how it jumps and it is not as smooth as when you switch the player to output 1080p60hz.

That is exactly what is going on with me. I have a similar progressive motion test on the Spears & Musil Blur-ray and it does the same thing...

When the shakiness really bothers me is in a movie like "Hurt Locker" where there is a lot of action technique is one where it's almost home video esque.

Last night I troubleshooted to the point that I have confirmed it is either the projector or the HDMI cable (30' Audioquest) going to the projector. The Anthem and the Samsung appear to be fine as I tried other sources and bypassed the Anthem all showing similar results.

Is it possible it could be the result of the HDMI cable or the 90 degree swivel HDMI coupler?
post #3543 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post

Last night I troubleshooted to the point that I have confirmed it is either the projector or the HDMI cable (30' Audioquest) going to the projector. The Anthem and the Samsung appear to be fine as I tried other sources and bypassed the Anthem all showing similar results.

Is it possible it could be the result of the HDMI cable or the 90 degree swivel HDMI coupler?

Could it be that? I have two 25' HDMI cables, one is a Blue Jean and the other one is a monoprice. They are coupled to those 90 degree hmdi adaptors from Monoprice. I will have to test that tonight because I have only been using the Blue Jean cable, which is more flexible than the Monoprice cable, albeit thinner gauge.
post #3544 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano View Post

Could it be that? I have two 25' HDMI cables, one is a Blue Jean and the other one is a monoprice. They are coupled to those 90 degree hmdi adaptors from Monoprice. I will have to test that tonight because I have only been using the Blue Jean cable, which is more flexible than the Monoprice cable, albeit thinner gauge.

Let me know what happens. I'm using the 90 adapter from monoprice also.
post #3545 of 4219
I'll be putting my Pioneer FPJ1 up for sale shortly. PM me if interested.
post #3546 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I'll be putting my Pioneer FPJ1 up for sale shortly. PM me if interested.


So what are you going to Chris?
post #3547 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano View Post

Could it be that? I have two 25' HDMI cables, one is a Blue Jean and the other one is a monoprice. They are coupled to those 90 degree hmdi adaptors from Monoprice. I will have to test that tonight because I have only been using the Blue Jean cable, which is more flexible than the Monoprice cable, albeit thinner gauge.

Motion blur or stutter effects can't be cable-caused. To do that, the cable would have to re-write the information in the frames of video. It's not impossible that changing out your video cable will change the situation, but if it does, that's going to be because disconnecting and reconnecting causes something to re-initialize, or some such thing, and not because of a cable performance issue. My strong suspicion would be that this is some sort of video processing issue.

Kurt
HDMI Cable at Blue Jeans Cable
post #3548 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBJC View Post

Motion blur or stutter effects can't be cable-caused. To do that, the cable would have to re-write the information in the frames of video. It's not impossible that changing out your video cable will change the situation, but if it does, that's going to be because disconnecting and reconnecting causes something to re-initialize, or some such thing, and not because of a cable performance issue. My strong suspicion would be that this is some sort of video processing issue.

Kurt
HDMI Cable at Blue Jeans Cable

I don't know Kurt, he's got an Audioquest cable.
I've heard they can do some amazing stuff

The PJ does take the incoming 24p signal and ups the refresh to 96Hz. Maybe that's what's gone south.
One last nit thing to try if you feel like it, move the cable to the other HDMI input on the projector.
Probably won't change anything as both would go to the VXP but.....
post #3549 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Schneider View Post

So what are you going to Chris?

JVC RS20

Oh and a 1.78 Masking System
post #3550 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

JVC RS20

Oh and a 1.78 Masking System

Chris:
Did you buy it on ebay. There was one that went cheap yesterday that was brand new.
post #3551 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Chris:
Did you buy it on ebay. There was one that went cheap yesterday that was brand new.

nope.. to scared to buy a projector off of ebay. JVC won't cover the Warranty if you buy through Ebay..
post #3552 of 4219
and I thought I got the last RS20

RayJr
post #3553 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

and I thought I got the last RS20

RayJr

How you liking your RS20?
post #3554 of 4219
I have both ,the RS20 and the RS2. No differance in blacklevel. The only differance is the CMS .
post #3555 of 4219
Would you say that the optics are any better/sharper on the RS20?
post #3556 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian 37@ View Post

I have both ,the RS20 and the RS2. No differance in blacklevel. The only differance is the CMS .

Your the first one I have heard say this.

Everything I have read and everyone I have talked to said the RS20 is a big improvement from the RS2. Better Blacks,Contrast,Sharper,Better Depth,CMS,Brighter..
post #3557 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Your the first one I have heard say this.

Everything I have read and everyone I have talked to said the RS20 is a big improvement from the RS2. Better Blacks,Contrast,Sharper,Better Depth,CMS,Brighter..

Don't believe everything they said. See it with your own eyes.
Mayby its brighter but not by that much.........

This is what Art said from projectorreviews.com........


"Black levels may be a hair better on the RS20, but without an RS2 for a side by side, hard to say. Any improvement is going to be slight - far less, than say between the RS2 and RS1 it."


But you have to make your own choice. Better wait for the next generation JVC.
post #3558 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian 37@ View Post

Don't believe everything they said. See it with your own eyes.
Maby its brighter but not by that much.........

This is what Art said from projectorreviews.com........


"Black levels may be a hair better on the RS20, but without an RS2 for a side by side, hard to say. Any improvement is going to be slight - far less, than say between the RS2 and RS1, or RS20 and RS10. "Incremental improvement" probably would describe it."


I have them side by side and see no differance.

Brian is correct in his assesment that others have suggested that there is little difference. Go back and look in the RS20 thread. Kris Deering and Darin did an evaluation between the two head-to-head and found the RS2 initially superior. This was just after the RS20 was released. Once the CMS issues were fixed with the RS20, via upgraded firmware, I think they both agreed the RS20 was better for their use based on the accuracy of colors. Many have since commented that the RS2 is actually sharper than the RS20. Chris, no offense, but if you were expected a huge leap in performance between the two (outside of gamut accuracy), I think you will be underwhelmed.

Best,

John
post #3559 of 4219
I was thinking of getting one of the refurbished RS-20 from Jason but I remember reading that the difference between this pj an the RS2 it not huge. I think I'll pass and wait for next generation.
post #3560 of 4219
the extra brightness and cms is what Im mostly after. I have a 126" Carada BW screen with the FPJ1 on low lamp setting and PQ looks great but I would like a little brighter picture. Not sure exactly what my foot lamberts are right now. I have 300 hours on the bulb.
post #3561 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

the extra brightness and cms is what Im mostly after. I have a 126" Carada BW screen with the FPJ1 on low lamp setting and PQ looks great but I would like a little brighter picture. Not sure exactly what my foot lamberts are right now. I have 300 hours on the bulb.

Chris:

You bring up some additional benefits to the RS20. Your screen size definitely demands a brighter projector. No question, the RS20 will outperform the RS2/FPJ1 in this arena. I can't believe you were lighting that on low lamp. I am using high lamp on mine (I have the same screen material you do) on 103" in screen from 14 feet. The real problem with high lamp setting on the RS2/FPJ1 is the fan can be annoying at times. With the RS20 you will not have that problem. The RS20 will be a better performer for you - no question about it!

Best,

John
post #3562 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Chris:

You bring up some additional benefits to the RS20. Your screen size definitely demands a brighter projector. No question, the RS20 will outperform the RS2/FPJ1 in this arena. I can't believe you were lighting that on low lamp. I am using high lamp on mine (I have the same screen material you do) on 103" in screen from 14 feet. The real problem with high lamp setting on the RS2/FPJ1 is the fan can be annoying at times. With the RS20 you will not have that problem. The RS20 will be a better performer for you - no question about it!

Best,

John

At first the FPJ1 was bright. But of course after time the bulb dims. I could not stand the noise of the pj on high lamp.

Do you know how to do the math to figure out FL?

The RS20 on low lamp should give me enough brightness Im taking it..?
post #3563 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

At first the FPJ1 was bright. But of course after time the bulb dims. I could not stand the noise of the pj on high lamp.

Do you know how to do the math to figure out FL?

The RS20 on low lamp should give me enough brightness Im taking it..?

I am sure one of our resident physicists will come along and crunch the number for you, but I do believe the RS20 will give you what you are looking for. On another note, I am really interested to hear your impressions of the two (RS2 vs. RS20) head-to-head. So hurry up and get it done for us !!. Inquiring minds want to know!!

John
post #3564 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

I am sure one of our resident physicists will come along and crunch the number for you, but I do believe the RS20 will give you what you are looking for. On another note, I am really interested to hear your impressions of the two (RS2 vs. RS20) head-to-head. So hurry up and get it done for us !!. Inquiring minds want to know!!

John

haha I will keep you guys posted on the comparison. It probably won't be until the end of the month. Im still waiting for the RS20 to arrive and also my 1.78 Masking System should be here in a couple weeks.
post #3565 of 4219
Could someone please confirm for me that the replacement lamp for the JVC RS2 and the Pioneer FPJ1 are in fact the same (i.e., interchangeable)?

I just tried to go to the Pioneer website to get info, but I could not find any link at all to the Kuro projector in the support area...

Thanks!

Bill
post #3566 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

How you liking your RS20?

So far I love my RS20......major improvement over my Pioneer FPJ1
Here is my pre and post calibration reports...please keep in mind that I only spent about an hour doing a rough calibration on my RS20...as I need a bunch more hours on the bulb.

All calibration work done by me.

Pre Calibration mode was "THX" Mode
Pre calibration
Pre Calibration CMS

Post calibration mode was all Custom WB and CMS
Post Calibration
Post Calibration CMS

RayJr
post #3567 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee1 View Post

Could someone please confirm for me that the replacement lamp for the JVC RS2 and the Pioneer FPJ1 are in fact the same (i.e., interchangeable)?

I just tried to go to the Pioneer website to get info, but I could not find any link at all to the Kuro projector in the support area...

Thanks!

Bill

They are the same.

RayJr
post #3568 of 4219
Re: RS2 vs RS20.
I just had my NOS RS2 professionally calibrated.
Prior to that, I had tweaked the colors and the gamma per the posts on this board, nothing more.
I was happy with the way it looked and didn't mind the over-saturated greens or notice any other color anomalies.

After full-on calibration, the difference was quite noticeable, more improvement than the after calibration PQ on my 2 previous projectors.
IMO, getting the greyscale spot on made the biggest difference.
Having all six colors and the gamma done was icing on the cake.

I watched Sin City, the Oscars and Moon afterward.
Sin City never looked better and to my surprise, the Oscars at 720p scaled to 1080p, looked fantastic. Sharp, 3-dimensional and natural.
Although the palette of Moon is limited it too looked great.

I guess that my rambling point is this, Chris, get the most out of your RS20 buy doing a full calibration on it.
You'll be rewarded by a fantastic viewing experience.
post #3569 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Re: RS2 vs RS20.
I just had my NOS RS2 professionally calibrated.
Prior to that, I had tweaked the colors and the gamma per the posts on this board, nothing more.
I was happy with the way it looked and didn't mind the over-saturated greens or notice any other color anomalies.

After full-on calibration, the difference was quite noticeable, more improvement than the after calibration PQ on my 2 previous projectors.
IMO, getting the greyscale spot on made the biggest difference.
Having all six colors and the gamma done was icing on the cake.

I watched Sin City, the Oscars and Moon afterward.
Sin City never looked better and to my surprise, the Oscars at 720p scaled to 1080p, looked fantastic. Sharp, 3-dimensional and natural.
Although the palette of Moon is limited it too looked great.

I guess that my rambling point is this, Chris, get the most out of your RS20 buy doing a full calibration on it.
You'll be rewarded by a fantastic viewing experience.

I do plan on getting the RS20 calibrated. I never got my FPJ1 calibrated. I talked to two ISF calibrators here in the Bay Area and one told me to wait until my PJ was at 200 hrs and the other one said to wait until it was at 500 hrs.

Anyways Im not sure who to go with for calibrations here. I want the best pq possible for my RS20 but not sure which calibrator will do the best job. I've read posts on the forums about how some have had bad experiences with calibrators.
post #3570 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

So far I love my RS20......major improvement over my Pioneer FPJ1
Here is my pre and post calibration reports...please keep in mind that I only spent about an hour doing a rough calibration on my RS20...as I need a bunch more hours on the bulb.

All calibration work done by me.

Pre Calibration mode was "THX" Mode
Pre calibration
Pre Calibration CMS

Post calibration mode was all Custom WB and CMS
Post Calibration
Post Calibration CMS

RayJr

Ray:

Can you please describe the improvements you are seeing? When you say major differences, what are they? Did you compare the RS20 with the FPJ1 directly?

John
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread