or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread - Page 134

post #3991 of 4219
I don't know if the position has any real impact, but I view it as a potential heat issue with the leads to the bulb being on top or bottom. I would naturally go for the leads on the bottom...... That is the only reason I mentioned it in the beginning (I switched mine long ago and never saw any difference, didn't expect to).
post #3992 of 4219
Well, my bulb exploded last night with about 1000 hours on it in eco mode, so I need to replace it in a hurry. In view of this discussion, what do you recommend. FWIW, the dead bulb was official JVC bought from Filron a year ago, but used only 3 mos. My original bulb lasted over 4,000 hrs and I still have it, but manual says not to re-use it. I'm confused.
post #3993 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectViewer View Post

Well, my bulb exploded last night with about 1000 hours on it in eco mode, so I need to replace it in a hurry. In view of this discussion, what do you recommend. FWIW, the dead bulb was official JVC bought from Filron a year ago, but used only 3 mos. My original bulb lasted over 4,000 hrs and I still have it, but manual says not to re-use it. I'm confused.

Well, it could be just a "legal" based statement by JVC..... Someone resets the timer and uses the old bulb, not watching the hours and it explodes...... Well, yours did that anyway. I think any bulb with hours on it can run the risk of exploding.... How is a used bulb any different from a bulb in the projector with the same or similar hours on it?

I can have a new "JVC" OEM bulb shipped, usually within a day... I can also get the OSRAM
post #3994 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

Well, it could be just a "legal" based statement by JVC.....

Sounds logical to me. (As if tech manuals weren't badly-written enough before the lawyers got to them!)

I installed the old bulb (i.e., lamp assembly), taking the time to clean the prism and the sensor, as recommended in this forum, and it didn't blow up (with over 4,000 hours on it). Under normal circumstances, I'd enjoy learning how to replace just the bulb, but with our 51st anniversary party coming up, I've got no time for anything but installing a pre-assembled solution.
post #3995 of 4219
As the title sugests I am looking at a FPJ1 to purchase for my light controlled home theatre.

I currentley have a Marantz VP 4001, which I've only used on an outside, 140", screen but have been blown away by the picture. I've been bitten by the bug pretty hard and have already purchased a Studiotek 130 screen (110"/not G3) and a, new to me, surround set up as I look to build a HT inside the house.

As much as I love the marantz I am looking forward to getting a new PJ and using the marantz for summer movies in the yard.

I am looking at the usual cast of charecters under $2,000 (I know this is the over $3K forum) which include:

Mits HC4000
Epson 8350
Benq
etc.

My thinking is that by going used I can get more bang for my buck. I don't care about 3d but just want the best 2d picture I can get while staying under $2K.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jamie
post #3996 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie ford View Post

As the title sugests I am looking at a FPJ1 to purchase for my light controlled home theatre.

I currentley have a Marantz VP 4001, which I've only used on an outside, 140", screen but have been blown away by the picture. I've been bitten by the bug pretty hard and have already purchased a Studiotek 130 screen (110"/not G3) and a, new to me, surround set up as I look to build a HT inside the house.

As much as I love the marantz I am looking forward to getting a new PJ and using the marantz for summer movies in the yard.

I am looking at the usual cast of charecters under $2,000 (I know this is the over $3K forum) which include:

Mits HC4000
Epson 8350
Benq
etc.

My thinking is that by going used I can get more bang for my buck. I don't care about 3d but just want the best 2d picture I can get while staying under $2K.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jamie

I have a rs2 for sale at a good price
post #3997 of 4219
I have compared the 8350 to my RS2. The 8350 had more brightness, pop to the picture but you can quickly tell that the RS2 has better optics. Didn't spend much time comparing but that was my quick impression. I am sure that if I saw one of the new JVC's I would want it but we love the picture we have so I make sure not to look at anything I could possibly want as an upgrade
post #3998 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

I have compared the 8350 to my RS2. The 8350 had more brightness, pop to the picture but you can quickly tell that the RS2 has better optics. Didn't spend much time comparing but that was my quick impression. I am sure that if I saw one of the new JVC's I would want it but we love the picture we have so I make sure not to look at anything I could possibly want as an upgrade

I to have an RS2 and for 2D you won't see much of an improvement from
any of the current offerings a lateral move at best or you pay to get
that last 10% to reach the the Holy Grail of video. All the companies
seem content to make 3D work and 2D for now is taking a back seat.
You would have thought that since 2008 there would have been huge
increases in PQ but most companies are just catching up with there
current offerings. All being said the RS2 still throws a fantastic image!
post #3999 of 4219
Hey guys, I need a new lamp for my Pioneer now...getting the warning message.

Can someone tell me how hard is it to replace the lamp? Should I get the entire lamp with casing or just the bulb?

I saw that some people are replacing the lamps with other versions. Which is best? Link to buy?

Thanks!
post #4000 of 4219
I suggest that you don't panic right now. Being prepared is a good thing for sure. I bought a cheap Chinese knockoff bulb for a couple of hundred dollars that is sitting in it's original shipping box still unopened from a year and half ago when my 2000 hour warning light first came on.

Since that time I have put on an additional 3350 hours on the original lamp for a grand total of 5350 hours and counting. I'm using a Da-Lite High Power 106" screen in a room with the walls and ceiling blackened. I haven't measured the lumens and don't intend to because when the image gets too dim I'll simply replace the lamp even if it's still working. However, the image is still bright. I use the low power mode in the settings and always have since getting this projector.

Earlier in this thread I posted a screenshot of my menu when the lamp was at 5000 hours.

Or course, everyone's mileage will differ but I'm using my lamp each day a minimum of 5 hours whether I'm watching or away from it for an hour or an hour and a half. I don't believe in multiple striking of lamps.

Anyway, yes do get a lamp but you might not have to use it for a while. On the other hand it's probably prudent for everyone who owns a projector to have a spare lamp in case of failure at any hour in the lamp usage counter.

By the way, I have since regretted my decision to purchase a lamp that wasn't an original and if I had to do it over again I would buy a JVC lamp even though it's more money. The one I purchased may be fine but given the outstanding performance of both this projector and it's original lamp, I can't imagine an imitator giving me the same number of hours. Hopefully I'm wrong about that and we'll see in the future.

Wayne
post #4001 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

I suggest that you don't panic right now. Being prepared is a good thing for sure. I bought a cheap Chinese knockoff bulb for a couple of hundred dollars that is sitting in it's original shipping box still unopened from a year and half ago when my 2000 hour warning light first came on.

Since that time I have put on an additional 3350 hours on the original lamp for a grand total of 5350 hours and counting. I'm using a Da-Lite High Power 106" screen in a room with the walls and ceiling blackened. I haven't measured the lumens and don't intend to because when the image gets too dim I'll simply replace the lamp even if it's still working. However, the image is still bright. I use the low power mode in the settings and always have since getting this projector.

Earlier in this thread I posted a screenshot of my menu when the lamp was at 5000 hours.

Or course, everyone's mileage will differ but I'm using my lamp each day a minimum of 5 hours whether I'm watching or away from it for an hour or an hour and a half. I don't believe in multiple striking of lamps.

Anyway, yes do get a lamp but you might not have to use it for a while. On the other hand it's probably prudent for everyone who owns a projector to have a spare lamp in case of failure at any hour in the lamp usage counter.

By the way, I have since regretted my decision to purchase a lamp that wasn't an original and if I had to do it over again I would buy a JVC lamp even though it's more money. The one I purchased may be fine but given the outstanding performance of both this projector and it's original lamp, I can't imagine an imitator giving me the same number of hours. Hopefully I'm wrong about that and we'll see in the future.

Wayne

Thanks, I am using a 119" High Powered Screen and it still looks great to me...I was kind of surprised to see the message. The main thing to me is it is so annoying to have to press the exit button every time I turn on my projector.

2060 hours here and still looks great.
post #4002 of 4219
I'm thinking of going to a 120" so it's nice to know that this pj can do a screen that large without being too dim, especially with the number of hours that you have on the lamp.

Yes, the warning box is annoying but at least we can disable it.

I have owned about six different pjs in the last 8 years or so and I've never had one last this long without something going wrong and that includes Infocus, Optoma and BenQ. I will definitely be buying JVC again if this lamp or pj ever dies... LOL!
post #4003 of 4219
So I just changed out my projector lamp on my Pioneer FPJ1, which had about 1900 hrs on it.

The new bulb is substantially brighter and the projected image is back to what it was when I first got the projector.

However, within 10 mins of running the projector I began to notice a burning plastic smell. I finished the movie, but the smell did not dissipate or go away.

Any thoughts on this? The lamp was not a JVC lamp, but a BHL-5009-S equivalent I bought from:

http://www.projectorlampsource.ca/

It claims to be an OEM lamp, the same JVC buys and uses, but at a lesser cost, since it doesn't have JVC's stamp. The casing was practically identical in every way, and it was a Philips lamp in the casing. Which is what JVC's uses and most people strongly recommend for this projector.

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
post #4004 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

I'm thinking of going to a 120" so it's nice to know that this pj can do a screen that large without being too dim, especially with the number of hours that you have on the lamp.

Yes, the warning box is annoying but at least we can disable it.

I have owned about six different pjs in the last 8 years or so and I've never had one last this long without something going wrong and that includes Infocus, Optoma and BenQ. I will definitely be buying JVC again if this lamp or pj ever dies... LOL!

I'm at 146" in a light controlled room and it is bright enough for me with 300 hours on the bulb. High Gain screen though
post #4005 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post

So I just changed out my projector lamp on my Pioneer FPJ1, which had about 1900 hrs on it.

The new bulb is substantially brighter and the projected image is back to what it was when I first got the projector.

However, within 10 mins of running the projector I began to notice a burning plastic smell. I finished the movie, but the smell did not dissipate or go away.

Any thoughts on this? The lamp was not a JVC lamp, but a BHL-5009-S equivalent I bought from:

http://www.projectorlampsource.ca/

It claims to be an OEM lamp, the same JVC buys and uses, but at a lesser cost, since it doesn't have JVC's stamp. The casing was practically identical in every way, and it was a Philips lamp in the casing. Which is what JVC's uses and most people strongly recommend for this projector.

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Don't worry about it. I picked up one of these a few months ago. I had 650 hours on a JVC lamp and took it out to try this one. I smelled the plastic also.
I just ran mine for 10 hours with a fan pointed at it. The next time I used it there was no smell. I then calibrated and have run 300 hours on it now with no issues. I will purchase these from now on because I have found it solid and a lot cheaper. I just keep my JVC lamp with 650 hours on it as a spare.

Ta Dono
post #4006 of 4219
I just hit the 2000 hour mark and my bulb was extremely dim. I ended up ordering a bulb right from JVC's website with a promo code I found on the web. The total cost was actually very reasonable, even had the bulb sent over night.

I took the projector down from the ceiling mount and gave it a thorough cleaning. A few pages back in the thread there was a post regarding a bulletin from JVC on cleaning the prism/block with some isopropyl alcohol; I went ahead and did that and could not believe how much carbon came off. I knew about the cleaning procedure but was always hesitant to use alcohol on it. Historically I would just use the cleaning cloth that came with the projector. The alcohol definitely took the cleaning one step further.

I installed the bulb, threw the PJ back on the ceiling, and was blown away with how good the picture looks. I really don't remember having that same feeling the first time I exchanged a bulbed out (this is my second change out). I calibrated brightness and contrast, and together with my Lumagen mini, everything is back to being spot on! The best part of all, I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on a Sony VW95 or a Runco LS5 for Christmas and now I feel like I can spend that money elsewhere (possibly on an anamorphic lens).

Anyways, there's been a lot talk about bulbs as of late so I thought I would come back and report my latest experience.

Cheers!
post #4007 of 4219
My excitement was short lived! After powering down the projector after the install, it won't power back on. The lamp is making some sort of buzzing sound and the projector goes into protect and standby mode. I installed the old lamp and everything works fine. Re-installed new lamp and I get nothing but buzzing.

I called JVC customer service and they set me up with a return so I can send back the bad lamp for credit. They then placed a new order for a new lamp they'll overnight to me for free. Hopefully I have better luck with the new lamp!
post #4008 of 4219
FPJ1 to an RS45

Just a quick note for any of you FPJ1 users who may be considering an upgrade to the RS45.

I still have my FPJ1 (which will be going up for sale soon) and my recently upgraded 119" Dalite 2.4 HP Model C pull down. Before my purchase I wasn't sure whether the RS45 would just be an upgrade for 3D or if I would actually see improvements in 2D. I demo'd an RS50 last year but after coming home and comparing my FPJ1 on the Dalite HP screen to my memory of the RS50 I saw in the store I decided that my Pioneer looked just as good and I didn't upgrade.

After viewing both the FPJ1 and RS45 in the same room on the same screen hours apart I can state for certain now that the RS45 is a very nice upgrade over my FPJ1 for 2D performance. On the RS45 I have the lens aperture on -15 in natural mode and it's significantly brighter than the Pioneer (yes it's a new bulb but still). For reference, my FPJ1 has the original bulb with less than 600 hrs. The black levels are also slightly improved over the FPJ1 even with a brand new bulb which means the black levels with the RS45 will only get better.

Despite the complaints about motion the RS45 is MUCH better than the Pioneer with motion. No comparison. I use CMD3 and while it's not a Sony it is vastly smoother than the Pioneer. Yes, judder still does exist though. Focus and sharpness is also improved and the overall picture just looks very noticeably clearer and smoother than the Pioneer. 3D, 3 lens memory settings, fantastic performance per price, and much more options for tweaking as well. I paid the same price for the RS45 as I did on my closeout Pioneer FPJ1 years ago.

Hope this helps anyone who may be considering an upgrade.

Take care.
post #4009 of 4219
So I got a new Osram lamp. Installed it easily enough. When I first turned on the pj, it looks lousy- super dim. Five minutes in or so, bam - it got really bright, brighter than my old OEM bulb. Now its been that bright for about 5 hours now.

Is that normal? What happened?

PS as an aside, i tried one of those generic bulbs from electrified.com. Man those are huge pieces of junk. The 1st one was half as bright as my original with 4000 hours on it. The 2nd one failed to ignite after about 10 hours of use. Their customer service was good though. Still I ended up out about 30 dollars in shipping costs
post #4010 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpimpin View Post

I just hit the 2000 hour mark and my bulb was extremely dim. I ended up ordering a bulb right from JVC's website with a promo code I found on the web. The total cost was actually very reasonable, even had the bulb sent over night.

I took the projector down from the ceiling mount and gave it a thorough cleaning. A few pages back in the thread there was a post regarding a bulletin from JVC on cleaning the prism/block with some isopropyl alcohol; I went ahead and did that and could not believe how much carbon came off. I knew about the cleaning procedure but was always hesitant to use alcohol on it. Historically I would just use the cleaning cloth that came with the projector. The alcohol definitely took the cleaning one step further.

I installed the bulb, threw the PJ back on the ceiling, and was blown away with how good the picture looks. I really don't remember having that same feeling the first time I exchanged a bulbed out (this is my second change out). I calibrated brightness and contrast, and together with my Lumagen mini, everything is back to being spot on! The best part of all, I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on a Sony VW95 or a Runco LS5 for Christmas and now I feel like I can spend that money elsewhere (possibly on an anamorphic lens).

Anyways, there's been a lot talk about bulbs as of late so I thought I would come back and report my latest experience.

Cheers!

I'm getting really close to the 2000 hour mark and have noticed the image getting dimmer... unsatisfyingly dim IMO (swithed to high brightness to compensate until I get a new bulb). Is the vote to go with the official JVC bulb or the equivalent substitution model? I'll definitely clean the prism if that's the way to go too... are there detailed instructions in this thread if I search for them?

I'd really love a new 3D machine but still waiting for things to improve a generation or so before moving into 3D (I want ghost-free, flicker-free 3D).

thanks all!
post #4011 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

I'm getting really close to the 2000 hour mark and have noticed the image getting dimmer... unsatisfyingly dim IMO (swithed to high brightness to compensate until I get a new bulb). Is the vote to go with the official JVC bulb or the equivalent substitution model? I'll definitely clean the prism if that's the way to go too... are there detailed instructions in this thread if I search for them?

I'd really love a new 3D machine but still waiting for things to improve a generation or so before moving into 3D (I want ghost-free, flicker-free 3D).

thanks all!

I'll second David Boulet's comments. Detailed cleaning instructions using the alcohol would be fantastic.
post #4012 of 4219
noone answered my question but ~50 hours in the Osram is still good. I definitely wouldnt get those generic chinese oem bulbs, people were right - those are terrible
i got my Osram from one of the websites a couple of pages back. it was not pricey and fingers crossed im happy with it.

As for cleaning the prism- its easy and it definitely helped a bit on my pj 4000 hours in. Not mind blowing but there was a difference. All you do is remove the bulb. If you look straight into the pj where the bulb was you can see the prism in the back. Cant miss it really its not small and its the only glass in there once the bulb is out.
I used a qtip covered in lint free cloth to wipe it down as it is a pretty tight fit in there for my hands.
post #4013 of 4219
I buy my lamps directly from JVC. Originally I thought I had a problem with the lamp because the projector wouldn't fire up, but after removing the lamp a few times and re-inserting it the problem was resolved. The lamp has been fine so far (200 hours on it). Customer service was also great and they sent me a second bulb overnight before I realized the solution. In the end I kept the second lamp for a spare. If you use promo code JVCPROMODP1712 on JVC's website you can receive 20% off your order. Unfortunately I've never tried anything other than an official JVC lamp so I don't have anything to compare it to.
post #4014 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpimpin View Post

I buy my lamps directly from JVC. Originally I thought I had a problem with the lamp because the projector wouldn't fire up, but after removing the lamp a few times and re-inserting it the problem was resolved. The lamp has been fine so far (200 hours on it). Customer service was also great and they sent me a second bulb overnight before I realized the solution. In the end I kept the second lamp for a spare. If you use promo code JVCPROMODP1712 on JVC's website you can receive 20% off your order. Unfortunately I've never tried anything other than an official JVC lamp so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks! Can you give me a web link to purchase the bulbs? I went to the JVC.com website and don't see bulbs listed anywhere. (?) Thanks!
post #4015 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Thanks! Can you give me a web link to purchase the bulbs? I went to the JVC.com website and don't see bulbs listed anywhere. (?) Thanks!

if you enter the bulb part number in the search box it'll come up. BHL5009-S

problem for me was, I'm trying to sign up to be a member, for 2 days now, since they claim special offers and reduced shipping, but it says "cannot create account, please try again later".......anyone successfully become a member?
post #4016 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

if you enter the bulb part number in the search box it'll come up. BHL5009-S

problem for me was, I'm trying to sign up to be a member, for 2 days now, since they claim special offers and reduced shipping, but it says "cannot create account, please try again later".......anyone successfully become a member?

Interesting,

doesn't work for me... I just get a PDF link to the projector:

http://search.jvc.com/query.html?col...set=iso-8859-1

but from google-searching I found a link on the jvc site... so weird that I can't get it to come up on the site's own search tool:

http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Mod...009-S#features
post #4017 of 4219
Here's a direct link: http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=BHL5009-S&Menu=A

I just went to www.jvc.com, clicked on support, then chose Accessories under the Purchase category, then selected all accessories, and from there you will see the lamps.

I never had to sign up as a member to get the discount, I just entered the code in the applicable field near the end of the checkout process. Hope this helps!
post #4018 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpimpin View Post

Here's a direct link: http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=BHL5009-S&Menu=A

I just went to www.jvc.com, clicked on support, then chose Accessories under the Purchase category, then selected all accessories, and from there you will see the lamps.

I never had to sign up as a member to get the discount, I just entered the code in the applicable field near the end of the checkout process. Hope this helps!

Right, for the 20% discount. But I was trying to sign up to be a member to get the shipping discount (and other offers) that they promise in the membership area. But it's just a tease since apparently you can't actually sign up to be a member! (been trying off and on for a week.)
post #4019 of 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle View Post

noone answered my question but ~50 hours in the Osram is still good. I definitely wouldnt get those generic chinese oem bulbs, people were right - those are terrible
i got my Osram from one of the websites a couple of pages back. it was not pricey and fingers crossed im happy with it.

As for cleaning the prism- its easy and it definitely helped a bit on my pj 4000 hours in. Not mind blowing but there was a difference. All you do is remove the bulb. If you look straight into the pj where the bulb was you can see the prism in the back. Cant miss it really its not small and its the only glass in there once the bulb is out.
I used a qtip covered in lint free cloth to wipe it down as it is a pretty tight fit in there for my hands.

Well, I didn't see your question until now. I haven't been reading this thread much, for different types of reasons.

But, regarding the question about a Osram bulb being dim for 5 minutes, no that would not be normal. But as for why it did that, the most obvious I guess would simply be something was a little off about the bulb, or there wasn't a good connection somewhere. Especially if it wasn't a slow change and happen all of a sudden.

If its still working good then most likely its OK. I'm having better luck with the Philips I got, than any I tried from the company JVC uses. Yes, the "other" companies besides Osram & Philips that are making bulbs that people can buy from, are a hit and miss regarding quality. Mostly a miss when it comes to front projectors. When I say other, I do mean copy types of no names. Also, other than Oscram & Philips most manufacturers of bulbs that build for companies, don't sell the bare bulb's.

Any of those links I gave only use Osram or Philips, far as I'm aware of for this bulb. Honestly I don't know why anyone would buy a JVC brand lamp for this projector, with the Osram replacement so easy to get and much cheaper. Philips is a little more tricky to get in the USA for some reason. I mean its easy to change just the bulb and I already know it works better, and that's my opinion of course.
post #4020 of 4219
Has anyone purchased a bulb from Projector Parts, via Amazon? Experience good or bad?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread