or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Need help with speaker choices please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with speaker choices please

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I am going to build a new home theater system. I have a Pioneer HTIB right now, I am happy with the sound but not enough hookups for additional equipment. I have a Panasonic 50" plasma, Xbox 360, HD-DVD player and a Wii. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Onkyo 605, I have been reading on here for a few days now. I am pretty sure I am going with this sub-BIC Acoustech H-100, it looks amazing. Just wanting to know what are some more choices for front, rear, and center speakers, I dont want to spend a small fortune on them... Thanks for the help.
post #2 of 14
Forget the Acoustech H-100 and get the SBS-01 system from SVS (fronts, center, rears, & sub) all in one package for $999.....shipping is another $100 or so.

From what I have read here there will be no disappointment. I will be ordering my very shortly.

C1
post #3 of 14
If you want really good sound, then you need to spend fairly good money on speakers. Most everyone on this forum will tell you that the speakers are the most important part of the home theater experience. If you have all that other great equipment and itty-bitty speakers then the sound will be itty-bitty! What is your budget? Remember that speakers will last longer than any other part of your HT because the technology of speaker making changes very little over time as compared to all the other stuff that makes up a home theater. And, just as in every other technology purchase... you get what you pay for. So don't skimp too much!
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
ok thanks for the info. Probably no more than $300-500 on speakers not including a sub.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopking68 View Post

ok thanks for the info. Probably no more than $300-500 on speakers not including a sub.

I think you're skimping too much IMO.
post #6 of 14
$599 for the SBS-01 5.0 speaker set from SVS.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopking68 View Post

I am going to build a new home theater system. I have a Pioneer HTIB right now, I am happy with the sound...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

If you want really good sound....

jase - what makes you think shopking wants really good sound?

Charlie1 has the best idea for you. It will be on budget including a sub and will blow away your htib without blowing away your budget.

Jase - sometimes you have to keep in mind the OP's situation - if he really wanted good sound - he wouldn't be asking for suggestions with a budget of $300 to $500 .

I know people who are happy getting their equipment from garage sales for $10 - seriously.
post #8 of 14
Well, he said that he is "happy with the sound" he already has... and yet he is asking for suggestions on new speakers to go with his new receiver. Why would he ask if he is already happy with the sound? So often I see people shell out fairly major $$$$ on their TV's, receivers, and other assorted AV toys and yet they spend the least amount on their speakers. So I just wanted the OP to know that the speakers are by and large the most important piece of the HT experience...IMO. Just trying to help.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Well, he said that he is "happy with the sound" he already has... and yet he is asking for suggestions on new speakers to go with his new receiver. Why would he ask if he is already happy with the sound? So often I see people shell out fairly major $$$$ on their TV's, receivers, and other assorted AV toys and yet they spend the least amount on their speakers. So I just wanted the OP to know that the speakers are by and large the most important piece of the HT experience...IMO. Just trying to help.

Some receivers and speakers combine to make an excellent system. But, speakers are the single most important part of the equation, as a good set of speakers can hide shortcomings of the sound that the receiver outputs, they can also highlight the receiver good sound characteristics, or, depending on the brand/model, will highlight the specific characteristics of music you like. For example you buy a set of JBL because of their bass capabilities, or Klipsch because their detailed highs, or Monitor Audio because of their balance, or PSB because of their excellent mids, or Vienna Acoustics because they are refined, or Cerwin Vega because you just want to play loud and party.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Sorry if I caused an argument, that was not my intent. I guess I worded my statement wrong. I am somewhat happy with the sound of the pioneer, but I want more bass and more options with my receiver I get.

What about the polk 5.1 set?
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
post #12 of 14
You didn't cause any argument between anyone. What these guys are saying without "saying it" is you have nice equipment as it stands right now and I believe that I can say speaking for myself and the others that have posted on this thread is that they don't want to see anyone throw their money away just to fill a viod in their system. This happens to be one of, if not the most important and rewarding part of the system.

You won't get me to say much about the Polk audio as I am not a fan. Polk for me was probally 10 years ago.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Went out to BB tonight and did some research. I have it narrowed down to 3 receivers, and I am pretty sure on the speakers I am going to get.

Receivers
1.http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V661...8294529&sr=8-1

2.http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR605...8295084&sr=1-1

3.http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...8295110&sr=1-1

I like these 3, I was impressed with the Yamaha, very easy to use.

Speakers
1.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=7372513

Sub
1.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395911231

What are your thoughts on these speakers?

Thanks
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopking68 View Post

Went out to BB tonight and did some research. I have it narrowed down to 3 receivers, and I am pretty sure on the speakers I am going to get.

Receivers
1.http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V661...8294529&sr=8-1

2.http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR605...8295084&sr=1-1

3.http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...8295110&sr=1-1

I like these 3, I was impressed with the Yamaha, very easy to use.

Speakers
1.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=7372513

Sub
1.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395911231

What are your thoughts on these speakers?

Thanks

I know this reply is late and you probably already made a decision, but I had to comment since I have been down this road already.

I just remembered I have owned that exact Klipsch speaker/sub combo. I say remembered because I didn't keep them long. They sounded really good to me until I heard the Klipsch bookshelf speakers. The sub actually did a decent job but the sats were well...just too small to open up the sound if you know what I mean. So I went with a Klipsch reference 25 system I got off of ebay and really liked it at first but I could not get away from the harshness that they exuded with most material. They were great speakers and I kept them for about a year and a half ,but i actually did get fatigued listening to them loudly as I like to do often. Then I got the SVS system others have mentioned and it was a no brainer. For the price, you'll get SOOOO much more. I won't go into details, you can find lots of info on these speakers if you want.
But if you're not really concerned about getting a fuller sound, I think you'll probably be quite happy with the Klipsch set you're proposing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Need help with speaker choices please